As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics Thread

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    DC -- the company that owns Green Arrow, Black Canary, et al. -- put together their end-of-the-year list of great moments, and, for their Green Arrow show, (spoilers?)
    looked at a season including:
    - the Flash's origin
    - Deathstroke revealed as the archvillain behind events to date
    - Brother Blood's reveal as the secondary archvillain
    - Malcolm Merlyn returning from the dead
    - Sara Lance returning from the dead as Black Canary

...and said, "you know, the real highlight of this was when he hallucinated his dead friend for a minute"

What the fuck?

Edit: Oh, I see, it's supposed to be "moments that matter". That makes a little more sense now, but I still think it's kinda dumb, and we haven't really seen just how much that "mattered" given that the episode in question was about a month ago and the midseason finale.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Moments that Mattered still doesn't make that moment worth a shit

Especially since it was in the same episode as the Flash becoming the first powered superhero on that show

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I've been waiting for him to pop up again, and for awhile there was a rumor of a second young justice title that would've featured him.

I made that rumor up

sorry

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    AcZIQxg.jpg
    Unused pages from Teen Titans: Year One! I just dug these up from my old archives, and since most of them never made it to the trade, I figured I’d post them here for fans of the series.

The original concept was to do a two-page Beast Boy sequence at the end of each issue, telling the story of Beast Boy (always depicted as an animal) looking for the Teen Titans he’s heard so much about because he wants to join. He visits the locations from the story but is always too late to catch them. In the end, I guess he would have found them and he’d have been included in Teen Titans: Year Two. Presumably.

Anyway, only the first sequence got printed, but when someone actually noticed that we were doing something fun, we were ordered from on high to remove the Beast Boy story from the issues because “animals in the DC Universe don’t talk.”

:|

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    fuck's sake

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    that was my exact reaction, @Solar

DC Comics: We Don't Do Fun.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Dear DC,

It is never acceptable to not publish Karl Kerschl art. If he draws something for you, you should be honored. Don't be dicks.

Sincerely,
    Keith

Oskar Vega's Teen Titans (Project Rooftop link)

I'm not the biggest fan of the art style, some of the costumes bug me, and overall wouldn't be my roster for the Titans

however

Having Blue Beetle's little sister be a Green Lantern with a Guy Gardner styled costume is awesome. I really like the Cyborg design, and I love that Donna Troy has weight to her.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a good Cyborg. I like how it's sleeker and more youthful than the clunky, walking tank we're used to seeing now. Definitely feels like a better representation of today's sense of future tech.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Cyborg is pretty nice. I like how unobtrusive the look is.

edited January 2014
    Really these days the half metal head looks a bit goofy

Cyborg should be an ice-cold full body borg, loaded with hardware. Bio-synthetic muscles, satellite information uplink, nanofluid for blood, that's what I'm talking about. Full on Grant Morrison techno-bullshit out the ears, covered in a flesh-mask.

Solar on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Cyborg should be an ice-cold full body borg, loaded with hardware. Bio-synthetic muscles, satellite information uplink, nanofluid for blood, that's what I'm talking about. Full on Grant Morrison techno-bullshit out the ears, covered in a flesh-mask.

WpUAuFC.png

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Anyway, only the first sequence got printed, but when someone actually noticed that we were doing something fun, we were ordered from on high to remove the Beast Boy story from the issues because “animals in the DC Universe don’t talk.”

Well, I guess that's why Shadowpact got cancelled right around the same time that Teen Titans: Year One came out.

That was prior to Bob Harras though, so I'm assuming that's a Didio quote. That is a pretty stupid reason to give to exclude Beast Boy, though. Also pretty stupid coming from DC at all considering Gorilla Grodd is like Top 3 for Flash's big bads (not to mention all the other ape/monkey characters they have running around).

In other news, Rocket Raccoon has a starring role in one of Marvel's big blockbuster films this year.

Fearghaill wrote: »

WpUAuFC.png

mos def

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    no, JC Denton

I think the half-metal head is pretty much necessary for a Cyborg design at this point. It's his trademark. Also, he's proud and doesn't feel the need to hide what he is.

Your idea could work for a more adult, serious Cyborg I'd say. But for fun teenage Cyborg he should look the part.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    No talking animals in the DC universe? I'm crushed.

captcarrot_zps60061fd7.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Is New 52 Cyborg still a teenager since he debuted with the Justice League instead of the Teen Titans?

Actually, now that I think about it I'm not sure original Cyborg was still a teenager when he was introduced either. He was created for "The New Teen Titans" era, and most of them were being written as 20-somethings for that series. He definitely wasn't portrayed as a teenager in the last decade or two, much like the other Titans from that era (discounting the silliness where Raven got de-aged).

Cyborg actually has had other looks (and codenames), and has even been restored to being completely organic, but none of that was very well received from what I remember.

Lars wrote: »
    Is New 52 Cyborg still a teenager since he debuted with the Justice League instead of the Teen Titans?

Not in present day. He was in high school when the Justice League formed "5 years ago", so now he's probably like 21 or 22.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Beast Boy looks a lot like Dr. Dinosaur.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Half of these don't matter at all. Who gave a toss about Faora in Man of Steel? Someone returns to a series that has only had two seasons? The Superman short was nice but if a two minute clip is in your top ten of things that mattered? WTF?

I feel like my mind is breaking down when I see DC stuff these days and their rationale.

Faora is a big deal after Man of Steel so I can see why they chose that moment. Still, they didn't have to use it for the 10 Moments That Mattered milestones. Its not that important an event.

I look forward to...whenever DC returns.

Unless DC editorial knocks it out of the park to justify their existence to WB there won't be a next time for the comic division.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Half of these don't matter at all. Who gave a toss about Faora in Man of Steel? Someone returns to a series that has only had two seasons? The Superman short was nice but if a two minute clip is in your top ten of things that mattered? WTF?

I feel like my mind is breaking down when I see DC stuff these days and their rationale.

Faora is a big deal after Man of Steel so I can see why they chose that moment. Still, they didn't have to use it for the 10 Moments That Mattered milestones. Its not that important an event.

What? No she isn't. She an enjoyable part(for some the most enjoyable) of a movie but she was just the henchman. She hasn't really made as much of a splash as people are pushing.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Yeah, Faora was, like, at best the head henchman and has since shown up in like 2 issues.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited January 2014
    What? No she isn't. She an enjoyable part(for some the most enjoyable) of a movie but

I've heard Faora's immensely an popular character to the mainstream audience. Even people that hate the movie like her. I agree, she steals every scene she's in.
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, Faora was, like, at best the head henchman and has since shown up in like 2 issues.

The "big moment" is not what she did in the comics, that's incidental. Its that she's a popular character in the movie who showed up in the comics. Henchmen can be intriguing characters in their own right, like Harley Quinn. That's why DC chose her debut over someone like Zod. Has he appeared yet?

Harry Dresden on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I was definitely going "whoa, Faora's awesome" during the movie, but for Pete's sake DC, you've got to have had better moments in your actual comics books over the year, right??

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    What? No she isn't. She an enjoyable part(for some the most enjoyable) of a movie but

I've heard Faora's immensely an popular character to the mainstream audience. Even people that hate the movie like her. I agree, she steals every scene she's in.
    Blankzilla wrote: »

The "big moment" is not what she did in the comics, that's incidental. Its that she's a popular character in the movie who showed up in the comics. Henchmen can be intriguing characters in their own right, like Harley Quinn. That's why DC chose her debut over someone like Zod. Has he appeared yet?
    Yes. I don't think faora appeared did she?

Quire.jpg
    She showed up in one of the Superman books or is on an upcoming cover

CYpGAPn.png
    Faora was cool because she was an idealogically motivated enemy for Clark who was a bad person but also in a way which we understood and knew and could process. She was also brave and skilled and dedicated and that made her also admirable, to a degree. If she had been on Clark's side, she would have been his greatest ally, and that's important.

In other news, what the everliving fuck is wrong with DC's trade department?

The third Action Comics hardback just came out at the end of December. You know when the latest issue in it was originally published? Last February. It took them ten months to get one of their flagship books released as a fucking hardback.

Conversely, Avengers vol 4: Infinity, which had it's last issue in, what, November? Is being released at the end of January in hardback. It's come out in trade two to three months after release. And this is not uncommon for Marvel, all their stuff is on a fast hardback release and then a fast paperback afterwards. And the new Marvel NOW hardbacks are sexy as fuck plus they include digital codes that you can give to your buddies to get them into comics.

What the fuck DC. How are you so bad at this.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

The third Action Comics hardback just came out at the end of December. You know when the latest issue in it was originally published? Last February. It took them ten months to get one of their flagship books released as a fucking hardback.

Conversely, Avengers vol 4: Infinity, which had it's last issue in, what, November? Is being released at the end of January in hardback. It's come out in trade two to three months after release. And this is not uncommon for Marvel, all their stuff is on a fast hardback release and then a fast paperback afterwards. And the new Marvel NOW hardbacks are sexy as fuck plus they include digital codes that you can give to your buddies to get them into comics.

Sadly as far as I have understood, this is a conscious decision by DC, hoping that people go for singles rather than tradewait. Looking for a source for this now.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Sadly as far as I have understood, this is a conscious decision by DC, hoping that people go for singles rather than tradewait. Looking for a source for this now.

Its not like trades have been ridiculously popular. Oh wait, there's Sandman and Fables. What is DC thinking?

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Faora was cool because she was an idealogically motivated enemy for Clark who was a bad person but also in a way which we understood and knew and could process. She was also brave and skilled and dedicated and that made her also admirable, to a degree. If she had been on Clark's side, she would have been his greatest ally, and that's important.

And then there was her fight with Colonel Elliot Stabler. His guns don't work, he's got nothing left, he pulls a knife...and she doesn't laugh at him. She smiles at his moxie...and pulls one of her own. That was just awesome.

Yeah that was a cool moment

She was going to kill him anyway, but she respected him. She knew why he pulled the knife and what that said about him, and she saw worth in that.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

It's the truth, it's a holdover from pre-digital days when it made some sense.

With digital now completely here, thanks in large part to DC's effort two years ago? It's stupid.

Shadowen wrote: »

And then there was her fight with Colonel Elliot Stabler. His guns don't work, he's got nothing left, he pulls a knife...and she doesn't laugh at him. She smiles at his moxie...and pulls one of her own. That was just awesome.

Faora in all her glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckSAk8zGU4

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Man, I love Earth 2. So much.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I'm looking at some scans that BC posted about comics released this week and I have a question:

Did Gail Simone really put in an Oracle stand-in in The Movement?

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I hope her name is Smoracle

Or given the book's quality maybe Snoracle

Furu on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Here's something positive:

Greg Pak just get's Superman. Really enjoying Action Comics.

This discussion has been closed.