As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iOS - Order & Chaos] Portable WoW with a $1/mo subscription? Sure!

XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Order-Chaos-Online-iPhone-MMO-Trailer.jpg
So.. Gameloft is a company. They take good games like Zelda, Starcraft, Halo, Uncharted, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Diablo, Resident Evil, etc, and remake them on iOS, minus the actual IP. They do this to varying degrees of sucess, but usually with a high amount of polish.

Now, they've done World of Warcraft!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-iu98XGds

It's a full-blown MMO on iPhones and iPads. (It's a universal app)

There are 4 races: (descriptions stolen from character creation)

Human: Humans always look to the horizon. They chase power and want to change the world, whether for good or for ill. Their settlements are among the brightest lights in a dark and untamed world. Humans constantly seek to explore new lands.

Elf: And ancient race with strong ties to the forest, elves have a detached view of the world. They often have difficulty believing that events in the world have much importance to them, for they consider consequences in terms of centuries.

Orc: Orcs love close combat and plunge furiously into the thick of battle, giving no thought to retreat or surrender. People think they are savage, bloodthirsty marauders, but pride and hero worship course deep in the blood beneath their green skin.

Undead: The undead have journeyed to the end of the night. Some have found wisdom, and others only sorrow. A selfish and cunning race, they have all the time in the world to pursue their dreams... until they become nightmares.

And there are 4 classes:

Warrior: Warriors take pride in their might and mastery over weapons and armor. They can defeat enemies with powerful battle skills or protect their party with various defense skills. Some even learn to exploit the magic power of weapons and armor.

Mage: Mages are proficient in controlling the power of the elements. They cast powerful spells on their enemies, and have various tricks that allow them to be dangerous from a distance.

Monk: Monks have faith in the gods. Different kinds of faith bring different kinds of abilities. Some use divine power to heal others; others devote themselves to the training of body and spirit; and some are masters of fearsome magic that channels the wrath of the gods.

Ranger: Rangers are dexterous and skillful assassins. They are masters of ranged weapons, as well as sneaking. Their nimbleness keeps their enemies at bay.

--

As far as I can tell at this point, the races are purely cosmetic. The classes however seem incredibly varied, even within themselves. I've only rolled a monk so far, but looking through the talent tree I'm pretty excited about what lays down the road. There are two separate trees, and they both seem pretty lengthy, and seem like they offer a decent amount of customization to make my monk unique.
For instance, I'm planning on being mostly healsy, but I pulled a couple talents off of the military tree to up my survivability. (A passive that adds your strength and agility stats straight into your armor, and a buff that ups strength and agility)

If they other classes have as much capacity for variance, then I am looking forward to seeing what the other classes have to offer.

There is crafting as well, but it's slightly different than WoW. Your crafting xp doesn't get you levels, you use it to straight up buy your new recipes, assuming you can find the vendor that sells it. Haven't messed around with it too much, but we'll see how it works out. It seems though that much more mats are required. Hopefully this will be balanced with needing less in order to afford the next recipe, and that might eliminate the need to make 30 billion cloaks.

Combat is solid enough. Tap your enemy to target, you get skills on a skill wheel you can spin through, and there is also an expandable hotbar. Party members show up on the side with their hp/mp/rage/energy meters. Tap on their bar to target, making buffs and such pretty easy.

It does require WiFi, though I've heard jailbroken people say that it runs just fine with any of the myWiFi or 3g unrestricter apps (that let you use any normally wifi-only apps over 3g). So if that's your thing, you can WoW it up on the bus or train or whathaveyou. So that's cool.

--

I've just made a guild for us, we are the PennyArcadians, so if you are playing, sign up with the following instructions!
  1. Click your portrait
  2. Click the "Social" tab
  3. Enter "Xaviar" in the box and click add. (without the quotes, names are case-sensitive)
  4. Click my name. (which is now in your friends list)
  5. Click "Whisper"
  6. Ask to join!
  7. (Alternately, drop me a PM here)

If anybody else has anything they'd like in the OP, lemme know.

Penny Arcade Order & Chaos Friend List:
Forum Name - Character name - Race/Class - Server
Xaviar - Xaviar - Undead Monk - Arcadian Forest
Big Red Tie - Bearfeast - Human Monk - Arcadian Forest
Renzo - Khulric - Undead Mage - Arcadian Forest
get2joe - Krypt - Undead Monk - Arcadian Forest
Octobot - Envy - Human Warrior - The Whispering Islands

Xaviar on

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Renzo - Khulric - Undead Mage - Arcadian Forest

Renzo on
  • OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just incase anyone is playing on a server other than Arcadian Forest.

Octobot - Envy - Human Warrior - The Whispering Islands

Octobot on
  • get2joeget2joe Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    get2joe - Krypt - Undead Monk - Arcadian Forest

get2joe on
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game is so good.

BTW, You can create free accounts (free for the first three months) for all devices that share the syncing computer.

I downloaded this on my iPad and created an account. Then I synced with my Mac and then synced my iPhone. The game let me create an account for free. So I guess you only have to initially buy the game for just one of your devices - after that it seems you can make additional accounts.

Rothgarr on
  • BaratusBaratus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game is pretty decent (for an iphone mmo) but I'm finding lvl 25+ pretty grindy...

Baratus on
    PSN: Baratus_JT
    edited May 2011
    Baratus wrote: »
    This game is pretty decent (for an iphone mmo) but I'm finding lvl 25+ pretty grindy...

I'm that way with my level 19 right now. I think I just need to find a new town that has a bunch of quests.

Rothgarr on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Either I got kicked out of the guild or the guild has been disbanded.

Renzo on
    edited May 2011
    My quests just took me to the first PvP area. Man, I suck at PvP. I keep getting killed by people as I try to complete my quests.

Rothgarr on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Neither of those things should have happened.. Checking now..

[edit]

That's weird, and pretty annoying actually. The guild seems to have vanished.. I'm gonna see if I can find out anything

Xaviar on
    edited May 2011
    I'm surprised there's not a much larger following of this game here at PA. TouchArcade has a guild with hundreds of members...

Rothgarr on
  • tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    I'm surprised there's not a much larger following of this game here at PA. TouchArcade has a guild with hundreds of members...

I like it for a WoW clone. Weekend deal 0.99$/0.79€....

tricon on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I picked it up, figured at 0.99 why not?

Haven't tried it yet though. Will likely get to it later today.

citizen059 on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Hey, it's been a while since I commented on this thread!

Anyway, at the time I wasn't really drawn in enough to play it, even at 0.99 a month.

Well, now it's F2P - you still have to buy the client, but once you do there's no monthly fee.

I've started playing around with it again, and now that I don't have to pay for it I can see it being a good casual timewaster.

• Jay BizzleJay Bizzle Registered User regular
    Just started playing. Anyone still actively playing?

Xbox Live: Prawesome Dad
    Battle.net: CinnamonJ#1629
    Bringing the thread back... FROM THE DEAD.

Wondering if anyone plays this. I played it at launch, stopped playing, then reinstalled last week. Forgot how fun it is.

Back at launch this was iOS only but I do believe it's available for Android as well and cross-platform-play as well. The game also appears to support voice chat.

Any players?

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Well if it's for Android now, I'll have to look into that. This is the first time I've heard of the game, and it was only when I was most of the way through the posts that I realized this thread started in 2011 and never saw a post in 2013.

Must be something about it if it never caught on better than that, but it's at least worth a look.

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I started the thread back when it first came out, but a little ways in they did a server reset that ate everything including IAPs which killed a lot of interest. It is probably a lot better now.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'd grab this pretty fast if Gameloft was adding support for the Kindle Fire HDX, but none as of yet. Looks good, though.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I tried playing this for a while. It's fairly boring, although I can see it's charm in short "commuter" bursts.

It's also rather invasive with the IAP. But, that's Gameloft.

I really want it to be fun.

My kingdom for a fun sandbox/MMO mobile game.

Anon the Felon on
    I tried playing this for a while. It's fairly boring, although I can see it's charm in short "commuter" bursts.

It's also rather invasive with the IAP. But, that's Gameloft.

I really want it to be fun.

My kingdom for a fun sandbox/MMO mobile game.

Just out of curiosity, what parts did you find invasive with regards to IAP? I started a new character over Christmas break and he's at level 21 now. So far I haven't found any need for the IAP stuff.