As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sam's sketchy sketches (NSFW)

sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
edited July 2016 in Artist's Corner
Hello everyone, I'm new and thought it would be good motivation to post my sketches as I do them. That way I will hopefully be more inclined to produce them in the first place, and you can all shout at me if they're bad.

A bit about me - I'm 28, not done any art classes since school (age 11 - 14 or so). Did some technical drawing for design technology up to A level (age 18). I guess my goals at the moment are just to get better all around. I don't have a particular job I'm going for in this field, or a class I need to pass or anything. I have a vague desire to start a webcomic in the future but recognise that I don't have the skills yet so here we are.

So first off just a couple of pages of my attempts to follow a video tutorial on anatomy, because I can't draw people very well at all yet.

G3kwUl5m.png

FMIbZxdm.jpg

Then for a break to do something fun, and inspired by Toasty's awesome thread, I thought I'd sketch a couple of mechs. As you can see I am actually much better at drawing these than Toasticus is, I hope he isn't too jealous. Ah ha. Ha. Ha...
R4eh80am.png

QJ2udzxm.png

That's all for now. I'll keep posting the anatomy studies as I do them. Please feel free to offer advice and abuse as you see fit.

Sam

Oh, also this giraffe.
dfMGxTN.png

sampangolin on

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    wow! Seeing you want to make mechs because of my work has to be the most awesome thing! You have no idea how happy that makes me! :D

All the perspective work can be very challenging but I hope you stick with it! It pretty much boils down to a big pile of cubes and cylinders smashed together in all sorts of wacky rotations. Sometimes it can help to make an interesting silhouette out of solid color first, that you then draw over top to find the individual shapes. If you're interested I could try making a more in-depth process/tutorial kinda thing on it.

Also, that giraffe rocks

Toasticus on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Cheers Toasticus! I, err, blocked one out for you. You're right it was an easier way to start.

ER2KtvTm.png

He does look like would fall over backwards though. Need to work on that.

sampangolin on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Right, lets jump ahead on the figure drawing
    1yyI2ovm.png

Or maybe not... His head is too far back and to the left. Also I clearly still don't understand how the muscles all fit together. Back to studies.

dsarzPLm.png

r6S3BZSm.png

And a panda for fun

xoW4N4A.png

If you're reading and thinking anything is way off, or there is a figure study I would benefit from doing (preferably a free one!) then please chime in. Thanks! Sam

sampangolin on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Trying out some reference poses - first bunch were 30 seconds or so I think (one of those timed websites)

HfPjr2Ll.png

KYNUugSl.png

There are others that are even worse...

And then tried spending more time on a couple - probably 15 minutes or so?

8S6rm7Il.png

Still nowhere near a finished drawing but hopefully headed in the right direction.

sampangolin on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Started off sketchy again but trying to be more purposeful with my lines. There were lots worse than this, these were the best of the bunch!

PJE5hQDl.jpg

And this

jo1OTb4l.png

Feels like slow going.

sampangolin on
  • Options
    Well I noticed no one on the internet had drawn any pictures of Walter from Breaking Bad, so I started one of those. Feel a bit at sea now though. Where do I go from here? Is anything really off? It's hard to tell having stared at it for a while!

WMGJh1Y.png

Any pointers would be appreciated.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Asked this over in the chat thread - "Quick question on environmental thumbnails. Do people sketch these out in line first, then colour them? Or just start slapping down big grey areas to block it out straight away? And do you always start with a clear idea of what you want the env to look like or do you see what happens as you go?"

Not done these at all before so here goes. First the worst, second the best? I think I'm getting stuck on scribbly little details too much, what do you guys think? They were all made up except for the last one, where I copied (not traced) some other guy's drawing on youtube. He was using a ruler though which I didn't do. The 2nd one I used a ref picture of some rocks to (hopefully) get better at the shadows.

dNfYXjkl.jpg

And a badger because why not.

zNwRzMAl.png

(also, have edited my first post to give a bit more info about me, and made some of the pictures smaller)

sampangolin on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    You're doing some really great work! If you can keep this up you're going to see some huge improvements.

Your Breaking Bad portrait is a really great start. There's a couple of things you can do to improve it pretty quickly. Firstly, you'll want to push the contrast some more: make your darks darker and your lights lighter. Try to use the full range of tones, pushing towards pure black and pure white. Also remember that more detail is not necessarily better. Try to describe forms and textures with as few strokes as possible. Focus on grouping areas of tone together in to larger blobs. Here's a really, really quick paintover to demonstrate.

2VuKlna.gif

There are some proportional issues too, but if you can keep on practising like you have been so far that won't be a problem for long. :)

Flay on
  • Options
    Thanks Flay, really appreciate the feedback! Definitely agree with what you said. I'll try it again with more extreme shades, and bigger strokes. I was getting bogged down doing loads of scribbly little patches of shading. Been messing around with black ink and a brush this weekend. Nothing worth showing, just slowly getting used to the medium.

Thanks again for the crit :)

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    You can already see improvement within the thread, which is awesome!
    Studies are great, but the more you focus on applying them the more useful they will be. When you're drawing from the timed website of poses, really use that torso/hip mannequin that you studied to help you make sense of the forms. You can even draw the little mannequin in the poses to help you get a good basis for the feeling of the pose and the big basic forms, before worrying about the confusing matter of drawing the body.
    Keep practicing! (Also I love that giraffe.)

• Options
    Thanks lyrium! Yeah I agree more simple mannequin work is a good idea. I got a cheap one of those wooden guys from an art shop in town having a sale so I'll post some attempts to draw that in various poses soon.

In the meantime, a couple of attempts to shade that picture using less details and bigger / more contrasty strokes.

pn6ARPWl.png

EmdOSx2l.png

And then I tried inking it for fun. It was a lot of fun! Will be doing more of this I think. Just a photo I'm afraid as I have no scanner.

keWQ2tDl.jpg

I realise not all of the shading makes sense in that one, his right cheek for example is too dark. Mostly I was playing around with different stroke sizes and getting used to using a brush. Really recommend it for anyone who hasn't tried it.

I'll leave this picture alone now and find others. Something with some more interesting shadows maybe, they are a bit all over the place on this!

• Options
    Failing hard at digital painting. Just posting these to try to give myself incentive to practice and be able to post something better really! Been working on some hand and feet studies in my sketchbook but not got photos of that to post at the moment.

gj7wVp3l.png

kSCht8Kl.png

Nothing to see. Move along.

• Options
    Alright it's Art Camp time so first here is a bunch of stuff from my sketchbook to show my current level first.

zhStJaIm.jpg?1ekfCzT7m.jpg
    5ugCRJ1m.jpgqVdpzP6m.jpg
    e9q0VQJm.jpgfsfnw3zm.jpg?1
    Z9ZdNmrm.jpg?1NLTTnTTm.jpg
    ErwD4CUl.jpg

The few pages of comic I did are in the NatComWriMo thread, once I've tidied them up a bit I'll post them as one image in here too.

• Options
    3TPPLY4m.jpg3jIEqZUm.jpg
    Nn9QxlCm.jpgJKuZbtcm.jpg
    HVKOTRLm.jpgMDR6aVom.jpg
    O18LPJUm.jpg

Slow start!

• Options
    RZee5RYm.jpg7Y1hY8Cm.jpg
    AHKkztnm.jpgI2NVQtcm.jpg
    t12e7o9m.jpghTMWId3m.jpg

• Options
    qLoREJlm.jpgAkMou3Nm.jpg
    mjkyYxlm.jpgVYhqmXlm.jpg
    7SDGFPlm.jpgRIdsdktm.jpg
    2G6KPLtm.jpg

Colour studies? No, no thank you. Good day to you.

• Options
    MtBtiYQm.jpgVjRfNJTm.jpgEod9mgKm.jpg
    bevwhtdm.jpgI3v1Vo6m.jpg6NZAyHHm.jpg

Colouring in is tricky eh.

So I was never expecting to do 50 of each but wow. And no master studies yet, will see how far I can get with one during the rest of tonight and tomorrow. Any tips / crits would be welcome!

• Options
    These are looking good! It's good to see you revisited the man digging, because the value study of that was the only one that jumped out as being really off. Just remember to keep comparing whatever area you're working on with other areas in the image, and make sure the two relate the same way in your study as they do in the reference (in terms of which area is lighter or darker or more of a certain color, etc). Relativity is the biggest tool for you.

• Options
    Thanks @Lyrium! Yeah I started colouring that one thinking it would be an easy one, it wasn't at all. Probably because the values were off as you say. Sorry to read about your job in the other thread, hope things go as well as they can...

So here are some concept sketches. Noah isn't kidding when he says you will likely feel bad about these.

GYfGgoGm.jpgOhKdpTgm.jpg
    B9bIZaym.jpgQYiOhARm.jpg
    Cvs1G7Em.jpg

• Options
    KiwihopperKiwihopper Registered User regular
    Those colour studies are really taking shape! I'm impressed how many you're managing to fit in around work!

• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    I suck at studying, but damn mate, you're doing some great work. Keep it up bud.

Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    Still working on that master study on and off!

In the meantime, here is still life day one:

l9YkzyJl.jpg

2 hours I think? Let me know your thoughts.

• Options
    Not much time tonight :( Did a quick glass study, about 30 mins? Not all that happy with this so will tackle another glass in a day or two.

ru0ZUosl.png

I think my PC monitor ratio is wrong. Yesterday's drawing, done on PC, looks stretched vertically on other devices. Today's one, done on my tablet, looks squashed vertically on my PC. Any tips how to make sure it is right?

• Options
    Fixed the ratio - drivers needed updating to let me choose the right one for my monitor.

Banana for scale.

OQN8vV4l.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    How is Noah's camp treating you? Your studies are starting to look a little stronger, I hope you keep pushing! That banana looks well observed, but you may want to set the scene a little more. Computationally, the glass and the banana are sort of floating. The ink well is grounded a bit by the paper, which is nice.

When you feel ready, you may want to challenge yourself to set up a more full scene. put the banana down on some cloth, use a little table so you can render an edge of it to define the plain, start to study the negative space around your subject matter.

• Options
    Thanks for looking Iruka. Yeah camp is going wellish, it is making me sit down and draw a lot lot more than I would by myself. I am not anywhere near hitting his homework goals, but I pretty much expected that from seeing all of you struggle to do so in the Summer camp.

Agree about the grounding. I'm halfway through a tougher scene of an apple and a penknife on top of some cloth. Hope it's all where I left it when I get home! Hopefully put it up tonight.

• Options
    Well here is that thing. Any thoughts?

XEXkGakl.jpg

• Options
    Somehow all those objects look like they are from separate pictures. The knife seems to be floating above the cloth, its not causing any wrinkles or even the slightest dent. I look at just the apple and cloth, things are looking better, but placement of the knife seems to be incorrectly observed.

• Options
    Yes I agree. Part of the difficulty is that it's a chunky thick towel type cloth, and the knife really didn't make a dent, it just sat on top. You're absolutly right that it doesn't look correct though. I'll have another quick play to try and make it fit better, then move onto something with a more responsive fabric I think.

• Options
    Master study I've been scratching at a bit here and there.

V2uFnwzl.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Goodness. Been a while! Hope you've all had good holidays. Well here is a self portrait. It looks exactly like me so no crits necessary.

maXPzSQl.jpg

I kid of course, crits would be welcome. I think it looks a bit cartoony and stylised. Which would be nice if that's what I'd been going for......
    I think the eyes are a bit too colourful, and I'm not quite selling the shape of the face. Planes and whatnot.

I got Figure Drawing For All It's Worth for Christmas so that should be interesting to go though!

• Options
    Keep pushing. You are doing the right stuff, keep learning and moving forward.

Have you seen any of the proko videos?

Your self portrait seems to have a lack of structure. When you look at one of these guys: http://24.media.tumblr.com/a4ce083b7a7b1c5a812e808271524384/tumblr_mgbimj0f3Q1r0v3zro1_1280.jpg You can see all those planes that artist look for when they try and render a face. If you were sitting under crappy lighting, don't. Get your one lamp and just try and keep the lighting scheme real easy. If you are having trouble rendering those basic shapes, though? Don't be afraid to just render some shapes. you learn a lot of basic lessons from just trying to make a perfect sphere, egg, cube, and whatnot. Do a few of those, and then try to break down the face into those basic shapes.

• Options
    SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    I found this mega Asaro head file that could be helpful for practicing: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/096/6/6/head_references_by_snuvi-d4v6vc0.jpg

• Options
    oh my goooooood where did you find thaaaaaat *SAVESAVESAVE*

• Options
    I don't really remember. I was hunting Google for Asaro heads one day and found it.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Some Asaro head study stuff, some proportion stuff and some Scott Robertson copying...
    Sorry for the slightly dodgy brown tinge! No scanner.

D47fBPX.jpg

sampangolin on
  • Options
    Not sure who Scott Manley is but those sure look like Scott Robertson's stuff. Am I missing something?

My eye isn't the greatest yet but the second figure looks more correctly in proportion than the first. I can't comment on the shading/value as I'm just starting out there.

I'd have to look at the reference but the Asaro head on the right looks like the face is rotated just a bit off center anti-clockwise. Still looks pretty good though.

I'm liking what you did with the large pipe drawing at the bottom. It looks pretty faithful to the original. What medium was that? Copic marker or something else?

• Options
    It is absolutely Scott Robertson, I got mixed up! Will edit post.

It is kinda meant to be off centre I think. It's a copy of the 3rd down on column one from the link you posted (which is brilliant, thank you!).

Yeah Copic marker and Pilot pen. Just got the odd numbers in warm grey to mess around with.

• Options
    Okay, looking at the reference of the one you were drawing I see what you mean. The face is definitely rotated a little bit. Given that it seems like maybe it's the head that isn't tilted when it should be? Not really 100% on this, just trying to exercise my critical eye.

Love the use of the grey copics. I bought a set of the neutral greys for starting to learn value and I've been loving it.