As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] - Ys sir, can I Ys have some more?

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Yeah that is scary. My number1 was brothers but 2 was Tearaway and Dragons Crown was 4.

Dragon's Crown was on my list. Haven't played Tearaway yet, but if I did I'm sure it would have made it.

So question. I've lost my vita charger. What's the best route here to charge it? Just getting a regular usb cable and charge through the computer? Are there any third party chargers that are nice? I don't want to spend 30 bucks or something ridiculous for a sony charger.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    VLR Request:

I'm scared to go looking for this myself, because I do NOT want any story spoilers. Can anyone point me to the English VA cast for the nine (eight voiced, I suppose) participants and Zero that does not give away ANYTHING about the story?

Specifically, Alice, Zero, Phi, and Quirk all sound REALLY familiar...

(Quirk is totally Chie from P4G, isn't he?)

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Yeah that is scary. My number1 was brothers but 2 was Tearaway and Dragons Crown was 4.

Dragon's Crown was on my list. Haven't played Tearaway yet, but if I did I'm sure it would have made it.

So question. I've lost my vita charger. What's the best route here to charge it? Just getting a regular usb cable and charge through the computer? Are there any third party chargers that are nice? I don't want to spend 30 bucks or something ridiculous for a sony charger.

IIRC there's something funky about the Vita charger so be careful with 3rd party chargers. Apparently if you try to use the regular USB cable in a wall charger you have to cross two cables on one end?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Houn wrote: »
    VLR Request:

I'm scared to go looking for this myself, because I do NOT want any story spoilers. Can anyone point me to the English VA cast for the nine (eight voiced, I suppose) participants and Zero that does not give away ANYTHING about the story?

Yep, Quark is Erin Fitzgerald, aka Chie
    Luna is Laura Bailey, aka Rise
    Dio is Liam O'Brien, aka Akihiko
    Phi is Karen Strassman, aka Aigis/Nanako
    Alice I'm certain is Tara Platt, aka Mitsuru
    Clover is Wendee Lee, aka Too Many Awesome Roles to List
    Zero III is Cindy Robinson, aka Paprika, Makoto from Blazblue, and Labrys
    K is Travis Willingham, aka Roy Mustang
    Not sure who Tenmyouji is.
    And Sigma, when he actually talks... is Troy Baker. Pretty sure I don't need to list his qualifications.

So... yeah, pretty awesome cast.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Since I owned it but never played it, this weekend I tried out Virtue's Last Reward for the first time. I gotta say I really dig how they set up the concept, and thankfully they got some very good voice acting in it, since 75% of the time you're watching a visual novel. Played about 7 hours, got through a few scenarios and got my first 'To Be Continued'. Ahh... so it's one of those games eh, like P4A, where you don't get the True endings until you get most or all of the scenarios first.

Alright... I can wait. I think this one is gone or will be going from PS+ soon, so anyone still curious about this should probably pick it up soon. It's caught my attention now.

It was on PS+ a month or two back, I believe. And yeah, it does do the P4A thing, but for much more interesting reasons.
    VLR Request:

Keep in mind this is merely quasi-official because no one was credited, to my belief. You'll see a lot of familiar names:

Alice - Tara Platt (Mitsuru Kirijo, P3)
    Clover - Wendee Lee (Sayoko Uehara, P4)
    Dio - Liam O'Brien (Akihiko Sanada, P3)
    K - Travis Willingham (Johnny Ariga, Catherine)
    Luna - Laura Bailey (Rise Kujikawa, P4)
    Phi - Karen Strassman (Aigis, P3)
    Quark - Erin Fitzgerald (Chie, P4G)
    Tenmyouji - J.B. Blanc (Ryotaro Dojima, P4)
    Zero III - Cindy Robinson (Labrys, P4A)

Edit: dang, sniped :)

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    VLR Request:

Here's the list, which I grabbed from here. Their list is good but I'm writing it out because there are some spoilers on the page (all in terms of a few cast members that you might not be aware of).

Luna: Laura Bailey
    Dio: Liam O'Brien
    Phi: Karen Strassman
    Clover: Wendee Lee
    Quark: Erin Fitzgerald
    Zero III: Cindy Robertson
    K: Travis Willingham
    Alice: Tara Platt
    Zero Sr.: Jamieson Price

There are three other VAs for the game, which you should probably check on the site after you've gotten the true ending. You might encounter them in-game prior to that, but the site makes their significance more clear than you probably will care to know before finding out in-game.

And yeah, Quark is totally Chie. Phi is Nanako. Luna is Rise. Clover is the nurse S.Link lady. Voice acting is a small world!

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    bss wrote: »
    Tenmyouji - J.B. Blanc (Ryotaro Dojima, P4)

Ah, awesome! Thought he sounded familiar. Starting to really like that actor, specifically since he showed some range by playing Emperor Zinyak in Saints Row 4.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wait, you can't turn off the messages about not having a SIM card if you don't have a SIM card? Seriously?

I have a friend that I casually mentioned should look into getting a Vita because of FFX/X-2 HD coming out (he has never played X and doesn't have a PS3) and after he asked me a ton of questions, he now is legit looking into buying one. He did ask what the difference between the 3G and non-3G version is, but I told him you can just turn off the notices...

• Options
    GosrothGosroth Registered User regular
    It may not be a problem after all. It's a rather limited test but here is what I did.

Turned on the mobile network, turned off the wi-fi, and got the 3G notice right after. Tried different internet stuff(PSN,browser,email) which gave various connection errors but only the email one displayed the 3G notice.

Then I took the SIM card out. Turned the wi-fi on then back off and got no notice. Tried the email app and got a "no wi-fi" message rather than the 3G one.

So it seems it doesn't try to connect to a mobile network if there is no SIM card. This is a latest firmware Vita though, so no idea how one right out of the box will act. It also may not be a problem because I think new Vitas come with a SIM card, or at least mine did.

• Options
    Thanks all! VA is totally a small world, and it's only been in the last few years that I actively realized it, and it makes it impossible for me to just enjoy something until I can place where I've heard these voices before. It's like, "crap, I know that sound", and must stop everything and go find the VA; but, of course, with games like this, something as simple as a VA list can be spoilers if it lists a character by two names (one of which you're not supposed to know yet), or lists characters that you haven't met yet but know of, etc.

• Options
    Thanks all! VA is totally a small world, and it's only been in the last few years that I actively realized it, and it makes it impossible for me to just enjoy something until I can place where I've heard these voices before. It's like, "crap, I know that sound", and must stop everything and go find the VA; but, of course, with games like this, something as simple as a VA list can be spoilers if it lists a character by two names (one of which you're not supposed to know yet), or lists characters that you haven't met yet but know of, etc.

Yes, join our small little group of VA nerds. One of us! One of us!

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options

I blame Steve Blum. There was this odd day that I realized that one of the random street thugs in Arkham City was Roger Smith from Big O was Spike from Cowboy Bebop was Jamie from Megas XLR was Mugen from Samurai Champloo was... yeah. There are several VAs that I usually just hear the actor now, not the characters: Blum, Tara Strong, and John DiMaggio off the top of my head.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I blame Steve Blum. There was this odd day that I realized that one of the random street thugs in Arkham City was Roger Smith from Big O was Spike from Cowboy Bebop was Jamie from Megas XLR was Mugen from Samurai Champloo was... yeah. There are several VAs that I usually just hear the actor now, not the characters: Blum, Tara Strong, and John DiMaggio off the top of my head.

And "Stormtrooper" from most of the Star Wars video games.

• Options

Ahh, best things about Steve Blum is that every now and then he throws a role out there to completely throw off his fanbase. Like... he was Guilmon in the Digimon cartoon. Later he was Leeron in Gurren Lagann. Love him for those roles that occasionally make his fans go '... wait, what? Him?!'

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Just voted in MCC's Game of the Year poll.

6 of my top 10 games I played on the Vita. I actually played and enjoyed far more than that, but some were released in 2012.

Hmm, looking at my preliminary list, I've only got 2 Vita games in my PA top ten (Tearaway and Guacamelee) but have 4 in my GAF GOTY top ten (P4G, Tearaway, Guacamelee and Hotline Miami). Then there's others that will make my top 20, like Sly 4 and Thomas Was Alone.

Honestly, I tend to like GAFs GOTY voting a lot more than our one because I don't live in the US, so having a strictly US-centric list is a pretty shitty deal for me when a game like P4G comes along.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Just voted in MCC's Game of the Year poll.

6 of my top 10 games I played on the Vita. I actually played and enjoyed far more than that, but some were released in 2012.

Hmm, looking at my preliminary list, I've only got 2 Vita games in my PA top ten (Tearaway and Guacamelee) but have 4 in my GAF GOTY top ten (P4G, Tearaway, Guacamelee and Hotline Miami). Then there's others that will make my top 20, like Sly 4 and Thomas Was Alone.

Honestly, I tend to like GAFs GOTY voting a lot more than our one because I don't live in the US, so having a strictly US-centric list is a pretty shitty deal for me when a game like P4G comes along.

P4G is easily my top game I played this year. And I'm in the US.

Just remind yourself that these lists are inherently arbitrary bits of fun, and not impacting to the fun you've experienced.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    They are downgrading the screen in these things? I guess I should be more careful about not dropping it, then. My psp 1001 still works fine, so I expect this will last too.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Ahh, best things about Steve Blum is that every now and then he throws a role out there to completely throw off his fanbase. Like... he was Guilmon in the Digimon cartoon. Later he was Leeron in Gurren Lagann. Love him for those roles that occasionally make his fans go '... wait, what? Him?!'

And don't forget that he is every video game Wolverine ever.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

And don't forget that he is every video game Wolverine ever.

Alllllmost - Capcom actually scored the original voice actor from the Fox animated series(Cathal Dodd) for the voice of Wolverine for all of their Marvel fighters up to MvC2. And bizarrely, Marvel Nemesis for PSP.

Steve Blum did almost everything else after that.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I thought they were still going to be producing the old OLED model, just the new one was going to be an option?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I just bought a sony usb vita cable that is supposed to let me transfer things, charge, etc. I'm trying to charge it right now through my computer and the little ps logo button is just blinking orange. Is that good? What does that mean? I don't remember it doing that when I used my wall charger. I thought it just stayed solid orange, rather than blink.

• Options
    So I just bought a sony usb vita cable that is supposed to let me transfer things, charge, etc. I'm trying to charge it right now through my computer and the little ps logo button is just blinking orange. Is that good? What does that mean? I don't remember it doing that when I used my wall charger. I thought it just stayed solid orange, rather than blink.

Did you install the Sony software? I forget the name offhand...

Oh, Content Manager Assistant.
    http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/win/en/index.html

• Options

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/basic/charge.html

Blinking orange is that the battery is too drained for the system to turn on, so give it until it goes solid orange.

• Options
    bss wrote: »

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/basic/charge.html

Blinking orange is that the battery is too drained for the system to turn on, so give it until it goes solid orange.

But it's been doing it for almost an hour. I'm kind of worried something is wrong with it. It should be able to at least power up by now.

@Houn do I need that just to charge though?

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    It wouldn't hurt. Generally a PC won't supply 1A of power through a USB port without a valid driver.

• Options
    Yeah, the computers not charging it. Damnit. And the random phone, ipad, etc. wall chargers that take usb cords aren't doing anything either. Damnit Sony why do you make everything so complicated. I guess my last shot is charging it through the PS3?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Charging over USB seems to vary wildly for people, but one consistent element is that it's slower than via wall charger.

Edit: over PS3 probably won't make much of a difference either: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3778/~/ps-vita-doesnt-finish-charging-or-charges-slowly

bss on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I've charged it with the wall charger for my phone many times.

• Options
    Keep in mind that the Vita AC adapter is rated for 1500 mA, USB 2 (by spec) caps at 500 mA. Any given wall charger could be anywhere in that window.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Why hasn't anyone told me how awesome P4G is??? /j

I wish they made the PVita Slim with the OLED. The newer "shell" just looks so amazing.

I like how the new model uses microUSB instead of Sony's proprietary plug, personally.

工事中
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I couldn't get my Vita to charge with my USB portable charger even though it was 2v until I bought a little USB pass-through device to trick the Vita into charging.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I couldn't get my Vita to charge with my USB portable charger even though it was 2v until I bought a little USB pass-through device to trick the Vita into charging.

So this is just Sony being a bitch and not letting third party stuff work?

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    I found that I had to turn the Vita OFF (not just lock the scene) in order for it to charge over "regular" USB.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Okay, fellas. Now that I have dusted off TWD, and since my 16GB card hasn't come in yet... Gravity Rush or Uncharted?

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I found that I had to turn the Vita OFF (not just lock the scene) in order for it to charge over "regular" USB.

Even that didn't work for me.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Okay, fellas. Now that I have dusted off TWD, and since my 16GB card hasn't come in yet... Gravity Rush or Uncharted?

Eh, neither?

Gravity Rush, I guess.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Gravity Rush since it's a fantastic game.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I'd vote Uncharted. Not because it's better than Gravity Rush, but because it's fun, it's not too long, and when you're done, you can cloud save and delete it for Gravity Rush.

• Options
    I found Gravity Rush boring. Maybe I need to give it another chance?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'm holding out a little hope that I'll like GR2 more.

This discussion has been closed.