As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Season 2 Episode 3 - The Dragon's Reach Part 1 (Use Spoiler Tags!)

• EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Nice! That's actually uber helpful. I'll definitely be around this week at some point to get some more play in.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I may be late/have to bail today, but I will attempt to do the thing.

My gear IS pretty shitty right now just because I am poor as shit in this game, but I might have enough badges to go buy something nice. AND IF I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH NOW I WILL GET SOME LATER

*e* Also that Necro build looks miles better, thanks dude. I might run with Well of Blood instead of Signet of Vampirism since Signet works best if we're focusing a single target, while Well is a good ERRYBODY HEAL NAO thing, but it might be situational.

AND ALSO: I am SO SORRY for bailing Fractals last night guys, but there was nothing to be done.

Well of Blood is cool but watch you don't use it on top of our water fields (it's a light field).

@veritas1 - for tonight the guardian would be better.

But I did want to ask if anyone knows if the thief venom share trait works with the new skelk venom heal, and with basilisk venom. If so venom share thieves look to me like they could be pretty badass in wuv now.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    it does.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    i need to update the guardian build dealie. time is so cruel to builds

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • fennyfenny Registered User regular
    I think yougottawanna should get a sparkle for writing up that awesome Team Tryhard playbook. it is super helpful

GW2: stella mchaggis / maruette
    I already shine like diamond. If I get any more fly it might be a public safety risk.

Monday WvW'ers: great work tonight! I wanted us to focus on survivability and recovering with water blasts/empowers, and that's what we did. Two highlights: 13 of us vs. ~25 of them, we did eventually wipe when they kept running back from spawn but we lasted a long time. Then later, same spot 12 (IIRC) of us vs. ~20 of them and we flat out won, killing many and driving the rest inside the tower. Our water blasting and empowering was on point. Great start, and this sort of thing will improve with practice as well. I'm also gonna focus on being easier to follow as a commander, I'm still in my non-commanding zigzagging all over the place movement habits.

Remember, if you want to join up with Team Tryhard sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap0eryO5km6WdGZiMms2NWVPSFBZdFZ2X3VRWVAyWkE&usp=sharing

If you can't access the google doc post in the thread and I'll add you.

Mojo's back for Wednesday. We've gotten 10-15 the last two Wednesdays, it's good times.

• VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Sorry I kept dropping, something wonky is going on with my net right now. Everything else is running fine and normally, ping tests and speed tests reporting the expected and normal values, but everything in game is laggy as hell. Skills not firing off for 2+ seconds, Yougottawanna continuing straight then rubberbanding over 1200 range in another direction.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I haven't encountered this issue before and I'm hoping it's just a combination of the ice storm and all the people coming back after vacation around me contributing to some janky GW2 stuff. Especially since I finally got my mes to 80 and the little time I did get in without lag I was having a blast and really blowing up fools.

edit: Must have been a temporary issue, please disregard. Looking forward to Wednesday!

Vahraan on
    PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
    The last couple days I've had more lag than usual myself. Two days ago it was really bad, every time I used savage leap it was basically guesswork where I would end up. Hopefully it gets better.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Vahraan wrote: »
    Sorry I kept dropping, something wonky is going on with my net right now. Everything else is running fine and normally, ping tests and speed tests reporting the expected and normal values, but everything in game is laggy as hell. Skills not firing off for 2+ seconds, Yougottawanna continuing straight then rubberbanding over 1200 range in another direction.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I haven't encountered this issue before and I'm hoping it's just a combination of the ice storm and all the people coming back after vacation around me contributing to some janky GW2 stuff. Especially since I finally got my mes to 80 and the little time I did get in without lag I was having a blast and really blowing up fools.

edit: Must have been a temporary issue, please disregard. Looking forward to Wednesday!

Usually packetloss causes it, which might not show up in a network test (as usually you just get ping, and bandwidth)

When you start to have connection issues log into teamspeak and right click yourself. Then you can select "get connection info" at the bottom. This will display your ping to the teamspeak server and your current packetloss statistics.

hth.

Draygo wrote: »

Usually packetloss causes it, which might not show up in a network test (as usually you just get ping, and bandwidth)

When you start to have connection issues log into teamspeak and right click yourself. Then you can select "get connection info" at the bottom. This will display your ping to the teamspeak server and your current packetloss statistics.

hth.

I was showing no packet loss, which was why this was so strange. To top it off, I went and did a bot game of league to see if it was a port mishandling issue and league was running just fine. Good to know teamspeak has a way to check my connection stats though!

Hopefully the problem doesn't recur on Wed so I can try fiddling with smashing faces again.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    I think there's definitely something up on Anet's side of things. In the past 2 days, I've crashed like 3 times (and one of those cause GW2 client to get in a funky state where it locked up after typing 2 letters of my password to login, requiring a full reboot). GW2 hasn't crashed on me in a long time.

The lag has been bad as well - tho very intermittent, when it happens its weird. Sometimes its the usual rubberbanding and skill lag, others its long periods of desync where things are still happening, but there's no sanity check. I watched my whole party move one way but in a natural manner (avoiding terrain) and even do things, only to be reset like 2 minutes later to see them on the other side of the minimap in the opposite direction).

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Oh man. Good WVW monday.

We just add those methods to our normal shenanigans.... there will be hilarity.

And on a night like friday with big attendance our bombs will be that much more potent....

If you missed last night you will be very surprised at our staying power now.

edit- blacklion ticket skins are all -2 tickets on sale. so..... theres that.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    I might be interested in team Tryhard on my guardian, but it's gonna take me a little bit to get back into the swing of things. I'm still stumbling around trying to remember what button my weapon switch is on. :P

Tryhard, as a term, could be a turn off to some... so just a heads up.

Yougotta is taking the more 'hardcore' tactics and distilling them into something palatable for us. And he is doing an admirable job. Thats what team tryhard is.

When the folks that do participate in wvw super frequently play like last night meet with our dedicated friday crowd- you are going to see some serious shit.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    gettin real tired of shit in real life preventing me from playing :\

ANYWAY

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/recap-the-living-world-of-guild-wars-2/

I have mixed feelings here. On the one hand, the recap really does hammer home how after the third alliance it was like "Now you're just randomly smashing shit together" but on the flip side I'm genuinely interested to see where they're going with this and what Scarlett REALLY wants. Also, broken asura gate??? :O

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    I bet Anet tries to pull (what they think) is a clever reversal. Scarlet will in fact be attempting to prevent the jungle/plant dragon from awakening. Or basically neutralize it by syphoning away its power for other purposes. If she views the Nightmare court as sylvari that just succumb to the dragon and the Pale Tree-ites as living by too rigid of rules to prevent them from succumbing, then she just wants to flat out free them entirely.

And when her scheme is defeated, she'll be like, "You Fools!" and Leafy* awakens and the promised Tyria-will-change-forever-thingy will occur as the dragon wrecks havoc.

Though, if they could actually get out of their refined sugar storytelling and not just have goody-good good guys and baddy-bad bad guys, they could like give us real moral grey choice. Eg destroying the Pale Tree is part of the plan to stop Leafy. The players could decide to fight with or against Scarlet, given she may have the only strategy that might work against the dragon. Sorta like the captain's council vote.

* I guess they leaked the dragon's name at some point, but dragons are so ridiculous I'm going with Leafy.

Leafy was a misunderstood dragon.

He didnt mean to raze that village. He sneezed.

His panic inducing roars were him trying to explain the mists.

He wasnt bearing his teeth he was smiling.

Leafy is my new favorite dragon.

Arthil wrote: »

That's okay, I didn't feel like sleeping again ever.

Ender: all experience and/or rustiness levels are welcome.

About the name: I felt like I should call it something but I couldn't figure out what. I'm accepting name suggestions. The winner gets a Gottacoin (my new crypto-currency).

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    You know, when the story is presented like that, its really not THAT bad.

It just seems like it was NOT written well to be stretched out over the course of 9 or so months. Thats what really made it so freaking rediculous.

It would explain why it seems to make sense to them that there is all this delayed revealing, because its really just a fairly short story. But to us its been forever and all those small things stew and get overthought to death and then each little point becomes annoying as shit after a whole month.

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    You guy you guys you guys.

You guys!

They're promising a "feature only" release after Scarlet's over.

I don't even know if I'm more excited about all the goodies that could be in that release (PVE LOCKER???) or about Scarlet being over.

But I do know that I am super stoked for January 21st - March 18th!

edited January 2014
    new weapon sets like....guardian pistols. Or main hand shields.

mojojoeo on
    Kai_San wrote: »
    You know, when the story is presented like that, its really not THAT bad.

It just seems like it was NOT written well to be stretched out over the course of 9 or so months. Thats what really made it so freaking rediculous.

It would explain why it seems to make sense to them that there is all this delayed revealing, because its really just a fairly short story. But to us its been forever and all those small things stew and get overthought to death and then each little point becomes annoying as shit after a whole month.

Eh, I still think it's a little goofy saturday morning cartoonish... but I also think it's not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and I agree that you're 100% right. They wrote this as a short story / series of about 3 TV show episodes, and then stretched it over 9 months, which made everything seem muddled and gave the naysayers time to stew over everything they hated.
    About the name: I felt like I should call it something but I couldn't figure out what. I'm accepting name suggestions. The winner gets a Gottacoin (my new crypto-currency).

Team Keep-punch

The Mayhem Suppression Squad, which is a super obscure Transformers reference

Team Grognard -- Grognard can mean a hardcore wargamer who is super obsessed with optimization and strategy, but can also refer to a tabletop gamer who loudly proclaims that they only play REAL RPGs/Wargames, like, the OLD SCHOOL stuff, y'know, the original Dungeons and Dragons whitebox, none of this advanced dungeons and dragons crap, and what is this "warhammer" stuff, we only play H. G. Well's Little Wars HERE. So gaming hipsters. It can ALSO just more generally mean a grumbly cranky old soldier (that's what the original French word means)

It's usually used self-deprecatingly by people who are super hardcore wargamers/old skool D&D people themselves. So I think it fits the feel of Tryhard while being a little more obscure and less potentially offensive.

Or better, appearance as dye-like-unlocks...come on baby needs a new pair of pirate boots...

On the Leafy theme, I had a silly idea. Since they've already increased the number of dragons once, they should do it again and rebrand the game as:

Tyria & the Seven Dragons

featuring:
    Spooky
    Icy
    Blazy
    Bubbly
    Rocky
    Leafy

and introducing:

Breezy

mojojoeo wrote: »
    Or main hand shields.

aicon_kingdom_narrowweb__300x595,0.jpg

oh hyuck hyuck hyuck lucid. :/

So what's everyone's policy re: salvaging? I know salvaging rares above 68 is a good idea, or really cheap exotics I guess, but what about blues and greens? Vendor them? Or does it just depend on how much I want more MF?

Because I could probably use a ton more of that. Hopefully yielding more rares or whatever, since I get around 2-3 an hour running Frostgorge (tops).

I wouldn't vendor except junk greys. I may not be typical, but these days I salvage everything. Whites, blue, and greens with basic kits and rares with master kits. Yeah, even the whites because materials are worth so much more now (I however, just hoard the materials for my own use).

So what's everyone's policy re: salvaging? I know salvaging rares above 68 is a good idea, or really cheap exotics I guess, but what about blues and greens? Vendor them? Or does it just depend on how much I want more MF?

Because I could probably use a ton more of that. Hopefully yielding more rares or whatever, since I get around 2-3 an hour running Frostgorge (tops).

salvage all the greens sell off the rest unless a market is profitable IE salvaging a cloth thing.... for the cloth

Salvaging blues and greens is pretty much the ONLY way to get more Magic Find now. As a bonus, you get crafting materials, and now that we have Ascended armor, stuff like leather and cloth are much more valuable than they used to be. You might actually make more money slapping the materials you get out of the things onto the TP than just vendoring the items alone.

I thiiiink Sage Persephone figured out the ratio / when you should stop salvaging blues (at some point the cost outstrips the benefit).

You really only need the cheapest 25 use salvage kits / the copper-fed salvage o-matic if you have it for this purpose, however. using anything stronger will leave you drowning in sigils you can't use.

As far as I am aware, it's only useful to get your Magic Find up to, I think, 150%, because after that you can use food/boosters to up it to 300.

For my own part, I am a lazy bastard who doesn't play often and doesn't care about money that much, so I just salvage every damn blue and green I get.

edited January 2014
    @ 150 magic find you ralize the cold fact that every 50 levels the amount needed to level once doubles. So the levels get more and more steep.

mojojoeo on
    I like the simplicity of Team Keep-Punch. Back in the day we called the WvW group Murder Squad, that could work too.

Possibly Team Kick Ass in honor of the end of wuv night ritual.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    It's a shame that Waypoint Warriors is already taken.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I like the simplicity of Team Keep-Punch. Back in the day we called the WvW group Murder Squad, that could work too.

Team Diamonds

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think up an acronym for [MEAN].

what a happy day it is
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Menacing Exemplars Against Nicety
    Marauding Elites Alongside NICE

Edit: Neither of those would fit the limit... also I used astride wrong
    Menacing Elites Against Nicety

EidolonOrpheus on
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Moot of Especially Angry Nerds

EidolonOrpheus on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Joiry wrote: »
    Since they've already increased the number of dragons once
    As I understood it, there were always six, but only the Priory and possibly the OoW were aware that there might be a sixth; most just thought there were 4-5.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Well, the Inquest definitely always knew there were six.