As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] - Ys sir, can I Ys have some more?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I'd vote Uncharted. Not because it's better than Gravity Rush, but because it's fun, it's not too long, and when you're done, you can cloud save and delete it for Gravity Rush.

I don't care for Gravity Rush at all frankly, mostly due to the lack of lock on in combat making several encounters needlessly more frustrating than they need to be.

Uncharted grew on me and by the end I was entirely engaged with it. The final part is fantastically well done and very satisfying.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Gah!

Hot Shots makes me want to throw my Vita in the microwave...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    My beef with Gravity Rush is there's no world building. Like, suddenly I'm a catgirl with a pet astral cat in a weird world being attacked by gravity monsters. Neat? I want a bit of back story there. I mean, it's fun, but the world isn't grabbing me.

Uncharted I'm finding is a great portable version of the series. Combat is just easy enough to not get frustrating (at least on Normal), and the touch controls for climbing make those sections fast. The only bit I don't like is the touch melee controls.

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Since getting a PS4 I've been looking for an excuse to buy a Vita, but the Australian bundles haven't been great. On Boxing Day however, I stumbled into a deal that got me a Vita, Tearaway, Rayman Legends, 16Gb memory card and a case/accessories pack for $229 AUD.

It was a perfect storm of lazy price matching, a generous employee and inventory confusion. They matched an expired $199 deal for the Vita + Tearaway, then gave me 16Gb memory for the price of 8Gb. At the counter they thought the memory chosen was the pack with 10 game codes (it wasn't), and only having standard memory cards in stock let me choose any game off the shelf free. 16Gb+Rayman for the price of 8Gb memory ain't a bad deal.

With PS+ and some Cross Buy titles already under my belt, you know the rest of the story. As in, holy shit this system is packed with greatness!

Wow, and I thought the bundle I got for $188 with Killzone Mercenaries was good.

Now go and buy Dragons Crown.

I'll admit the 'weighty' art style made that game easy to ignore, aside from not really being in my genre wheelhouse. What's the compelling quick blurb for Dragons Crown?

I'm having trouble getting into Gravity Rush, and moreso Soul Sacrifice. I suspect my Vita's going to be dominated by Western indie titles - which is hardly a bad thing - but I'd like to branch out too.

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dragon's Crown is essentially a remake of the D&D arcade games with high rez graphics and deeper game systems.

If you're a fan of side scrolling beat em ups like Final Fight, but like a little more RPG on the side and gorgeous paintings of food, you'll probably enjoy Dragon's Crown.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    skyknyt wrote: »
    Dragon's Crown is essentially a remake of the D&D arcade games with high rez graphics and deeper game systems.

I've seen enough of quotes like this now that I have to ask

Were these some big things?

I spent my time in plenty of arcades in my youth and never once saw a D&D machine

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I spent my time in plenty of arcades in my youth and never once saw a D&D machine

I haven't either, but let's try another comparison.

TMNT arcade game, or the X-Men arcade game.

Or, The Simpsons arcade game. Ringing any bells?

That same type of brawler, but the D&D games also had some light RPG elements such as items and weapons(permanent weapons).

• Options
    Oh yeah, I mean I get the gist of the genre, and I already bought Dragon's Crown so hey

I just wondered if somehow all the arcades I went to were missing out on some huge D&D game I didn't even hear of until the comparisons to DC

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I mean I get the gist of the genre, and I already bought Dragon's Crown so hey

I just wondered if somehow all the arcades I went to were missing out on some huge D&D game I didn't even hear of until the comparisons to DC

I wouldn't know, my only real option was a Simpsons arcade machine in a local laundromat. Our only arcade was one downtown run by a bad-tempered old man with no business sense.

How the hell do you think to run an arcade, only be open Monday-Friday(no weekends) from 8-3 and not allow kids in during school hours(ohey, 8-3!) and stay in business? Small wonder it's gone today.

• Options
    True

But then again pretty much all arcades are gone

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular

Man the first time I got my hands on the D&D arcade machine I must have dumped $30 in it, which was a princely sum to a 9th grader in the 90s.

It was like Golden Axe, but had multiple paths and you could level up and find cool swords and armor. 4 player co-op on a single screen, everyone piling on gear and items and spells. It was pretty magical for the time.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

I played the hell out of the D&D games at my local arcade as a kid. I'm sorry you missed out. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I never saw D&D cabs in the wild either, but the only arcade-ish thing around my parts at the time was a Chuck E. Cheese. Makes me wonder if the chance of seeing one had a negative correlation with how much your community thought D&D was for demon worship.

Even the anime/comic/RPG shop I went to in high school and college didn't have one, though, so maybe there was a deeper regional supply issue.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Guys am I going crazy?

Wasn't The Room confirmed to be coming to Vita at some point?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I had a huge arcade in my child + high school years. One of the benefits of living in California I guess?
    They even had the unlimited Saturday mornings. You paid a flat free and got unlimited lives. Actually got to beat some games that way! Hah!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd imagine California had a ton.

I've lived in Ohio my whole life, so the only arcade memories I have are from vacations. I did play some at our local video store when I was a kid. I remember playing one called Double Cheese, but that was just a ticket game in an arcade cabinet. Kind of different actually now that I think about it.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Kinda miss the arcades, but there's still a few to be had in my home town (Omaha). Biggest place (Family Fun Center) moved to a bigger location but also concentrated more on stuff like miniature golf and laser tag. Dave & Busters got here a while ago, but it's missing the pool tables... which is kinda odd. A new retro bar popped up called Beercade though, a bit of a hipster joint where they keep a lot of retro games up and running... have a pint and play some Moon Patrol.

One of my biggest addictions was pinball machines though, which reminds me I need to someday finish my collection of Pinball Arcade models and get started on their season 2. Pinbot! Yay!!

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Guys am I going crazy?

I still don't know what The Room is, but I don't recall such an announcement.

And yeah, the midwest hasn't exactly been a region for healthy arcades. Still miss 'em though from what limited exposure I had. My dream is to win the lottery and sink all the money into a negative investment arcade for a couple years and just ride the high.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Denver has a beercade called 1up that would be pretty fucking awesome it wasn't for the fact that they try cram a good 9000 hipsters in a 800 sqft space. That and the wall of second hand smoke you have to go through in order to enter the building.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Guys am I going crazy?

Oh hi Vita

Don't worry about it!

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, VITA!

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    I know this is from a page back, but for what it's worth I've had the 3G vita without a card in there for over a year and never receive any messages about lack of network. Must have been something I turned off right away, I always forget it's even a 3G model until I spot that port of the side.

Completely forgot they got rid of the OLED in the newer models, makes me glad I got this one for so cheap last year. My understanding is the 3G version is a little heavier than the wifi but not so much that I have ever noticed it.

• Options
    Guys am I going crazy?

Oh hi Vita

Don't worry about it!

I honestly briefly thought UV was referring to the The Room flash game that came out on Newgrounds or whatever a couple years ago. But that'd be madness and impossible.

R-right...?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Maybe Silent Hill: The Room?

Honestly I don't know, I just had a sudden flashback to Tommy Wiseau.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Denver has a beercade called 1up that would be pretty fucking awesome it wasn't for the fact that they try cram a good 9000 hipsters in a 800 sqft space. That and the wall of second hand smoke you have to go through in order to enter the building.

That's always the weirdest thing I found with those places. You'd think they cater to the mid-to-late-thirties gamers like myself that remember the golden age of arcades, but they'll full of college kids and the barely drinking aged. I wouldn't think they remember going to the skating rink and playing Defender and Tempest like in my childhood.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    bss wrote: »
    Guys am I going crazy?

Oh hi Vita

Don't worry about it!

I honestly briefly thought UV was referring to the The Room flash game that came out on Newgrounds or whatever a couple years ago. But that'd be madness and impossible.

R-right...?

Pretty sure he's talking about the iOS game "The Room" by Fireproof Games, which is sort of a Myst-style adventure game except revolving around unlocking these hideously complex puzzle boxes.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

That's always the weirdest thing I found with those places. You'd think they cater to the mid-to-late-thirties gamers like myself that remember the golden age of arcades, but they'll full of college kids and the barely drinking aged. I wouldn't think they remember going to the skating rink and playing Defender like in my childhood.

Yeah. There are a couple barcades in Chicago and the Twin Cities that I've been meaning to hit up, but they all seem kind of college kid focused. Which is alright I guess, but not really my cup of tea. Though this reminds me that there's actually a classic arcade and pizza joint here in Madison; I need to hit it up some time, because old arcade machines and greasy pizza sounds perfect.

• Options

That's always the weirdest thing I found with those places. You'd think they cater to the mid-to-late-thirties gamers like myself that remember the golden age of arcades, but they'll full of college kids and the barely drinking aged. I wouldn't think they remember going to the skating rink and playing Defender like in my childhood.

Yeah. There are a couple barcades in Chicago and the Twin Cities that I've been meaning to hit up, but they all seem kind of college kid focused. Which is alright I guess, but not really my cup of tea. Though this reminds me that there's actually a classic arcade and pizza joint here in Madison; I need to hit it up some time, because old arcade machines and greasy pizza sounds perfect.

Sounds awesome until your body reminds you of how old you are in the morning with a heroic case of the beer shits.

Why... why yes, that is from personal experience...

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'll admit that Gravity Rush is not a game that is basically universally liked, ie P4G. But for me, it was one of the best games I've ever played, so I always recommend it :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular

I've been here 5 years and somehow I've never heard of this place @bss tell me more

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    @SeGaTai - it's Rossi's Vintage Arcade and Pizzeria in Monona. I've never been, but by all accounts it's really cool.

http://rossispizzamonona.com/Photos.php

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    I'll admit that Gravity Rush is not a game that is basically universally liked, ie P4G. But for me, it was one of the best games I've ever played, so I always recommend it :P

P4G isn't even universally liked (and apparently neither is Tearaway; philistines and heathens all), but it's a vanishing minority.

Vita is simultaneously amazing and frustrating. I feel like if everybody could just get over Nintendo (particularly its stagnant wallowing in recreating the same basic first-party games from the same franchises year after year) and just try the Vita it would win them over immediately. There's kind of a self-fulfilling cyclical prophecy going on with the system, though, where everybody complains that it doesn't have games and that's a reason not to buy it, so nobody buys it and it turns developers away from the system. Really, the system has 5 or 6 of my top 10 for this last year, it just needs to finally be a sales success and it would take right off.

But I also love how indie-friendly it is, and it's a little bit like enjoying a band nobody else knows about. Not because you get indie cred or anything, but it lets you share something new with people who have never experienced it. Every time somebody comes over and scoffs at my Vita, I throw Tearaway in there (since it came out, anyway; prior to that it was Uncharted for maximum DAT OLED) and watch them gradually realize how fucking wrong they were. I've converted at least three people into going out that very month and buying a Vita.

Most of the people who turn their nose up at the device have never held one in their hands and played a game with it. My own brother got one, decided it was going to flop, sold it for a 3DS, and then had to rebuy the system when he came over and played the first 8 hours of P4G on mine. And now he's addicted to Ys.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I agree with all the good things you said about the Vita,
    but DAMN my 3DS XL gets a fuckton of playtime, too. And there's nothing stagnant about the games I play on it.

You can (and I dare say, should) love both platforms. I actually believe this is the Golden Age of Portable gaming.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love my 3DS too. I mostly play games that aren't first-party though. I've played Zelda and Mario to death.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

That's always the weirdest thing I found with those places. You'd think they cater to the mid-to-late-thirties gamers like myself that remember the golden age of arcades, but they'll full of college kids and the barely drinking aged. I wouldn't think they remember going to the skating rink and playing Defender and Tempest like in my childhood.

I always wanted to build a few arcade cabinet and put it in my man cave. But then I looked at my big screen t.v. with 6 consoles and a PC attached to it and I wonder what would be the point.

Also, I dropped 20 hours into Persona 4 Golden in two days. I think I may have a problem.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Gravity Rush is pretty fun, better than I expected sort of. It's no Hot Shots golf though!

• Options

I always wanted to build a few arcade cabinet and put it in my man cave. But then I looked at my big screen t.v. with 6 consoles and a PC attached to it and I wonder what would be the point.

Also, I dropped 20 hours into Persona 4 Golden in two days. I think I may have a problem.

You don't have a problem. Boredom is the problem. You have the solution.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I actually believe this is the Golden Age of Portable gaming.

I couldn't agree with this more. My top 10 from 2013 are all portable games with the exception of Tomb Raider, Infinite, and GTA V.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Damn it, man, Dale North gets to play with all the cool shit.

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-now-really-works--268582.phtml
    I just had my first hands on with the newly announced PlayStation Now streaming service here at CES 2014, and I'm here to tell you that it seems to work beautifully.

It took me several minutes to wrap my head around that I was playing a perfect copy of The Last of Us on the Vita on the CES show floor. It was exactly like a Remote Play experience, complete with triggers being mapped to the rear pad. Gameplay was very responsive and completely lag free. Sony told us that a Gaikai server from down the hall was running the game.

What's neat is that multiplayer works between proper console games and cloud games. I learned that Sony was testing Journey with console players with them having no idea they were paired with cloud players.

Sony is also showing PS3 game Puppeteer being played via the cloud on a Bravia television. Again, this works flawlessly. It looked maybe a bit less impressive than the Vita experience, but still great. God of War: Ascension and, Beyond: Two Souls are also available to play on the show floor via PlayStation Now.

Sony says that PS3 is a focus right out of the gate, but PS2 and PS1 games are also slated.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I actually believe this is the Golden Age of Portable gaming.

I couldn't agree with this more. My top 10 from 2013 are all portable games with the exception of Tomb Raider, Infinite, and GTA V.

Half my top 10 is portable games as well.

Pretty amazing going from last year where I had a grand total of 0 handheld games on my list of 20 games to this year with 7. 5 of those 7 are in my top ten.

Crazy!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Damn it, man, Dale North gets to play with all the cool shit.

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-now-really-works--268582.phtml
    I just had my first hands on with the newly announced PlayStation Now streaming service here at CES 2014, and I'm here to tell you that it seems to work beautifully.

It took me several minutes to wrap my head around that I was playing a perfect copy of The Last of Us on the Vita on the CES show floor. It was exactly like a Remote Play experience, complete with triggers being mapped to the rear pad. Gameplay was very responsive and completely lag free. Sony told us that a Gaikai server from down the hall was running the game.What's neat is that multiplayer works between proper console games and cloud games. I learned that Sony was testing Journey with console players with them having no idea they were paired with cloud players.

Sony is also showing PS3 game Puppeteer being played via the cloud on a Bravia television. Again, this works flawlessly. It looked maybe a bit less impressive than the Vita experience, but still great. God of War: Ascension and, Beyond: Two Souls are also available to play on the show floor via PlayStation Now.

Sony says that PS3 is a focus right out of the gate, but PS2 and PS1 games are also slated.

Yeah, I would hope it would work flawlessly given that condition.

This discussion has been closed.