As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS Vita] - Ys sir, can I Ys have some more?

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I'm confused. What's the difference between ps now and remote play? Or is it the same?

Steam: offday
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    So I'm confused. What's the difference between ps now and remote play? Or is it the same?

remote play: you have a game on your ps4 and stream it to your psvita
    ps now: sony has a ps3 game on their server and you stream it to your ps3/ps4 (soon: psvita and bravia tvs)

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

PSNow is for playing older games in a form of backward compatibility via an online streaming service, presumably communicating directly with Gaikai servers. You'll be able to do this with the PS4 and eventually the Vita.

Remote Play is using your PS3/PS4 console as the server to stream games installed on the console to your handheld.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

ps now: sony has a ps3 game on their server and you stream it to your ps3/ps4 (soon: psvita and bravia tvs)

So remote play doesn't work with my PS3?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Remote Play = I own a PS4 game, a PS4, and a Vita. I pop the PS4 game into my PS4 and stream it from my PS4 to my Vita.

PSNow = I own a Vita/PS3/PS4. I subscribe to PSNow and stream a PS3 game from Sony's servers to my Vita/PS3/PS4.

Renzo on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    If this really works, Sony can basically have all my monies. I barely ever turn on my PS3, but if I could play PS3 games on the Vita...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

I didn't mention it because PS3 remote play really really really sucks, but yes that exists too (and is terrible)

I didn't mention it because PS3 remote play really really really sucks, but yes that exists too (and is terrible)

Never tried it. What sucks about it?

the PS3's wireless capabilities are poor, and the tech was developed without good compression. it's a laggy, generally unusable mess.

You know all the games you have?

None of them work with Remote Play.

You know all the other stuff you can do on the PS3?

None of it works with Remote Play.

(A slight exaggeration, but that's basically what happened when I tried it. It's just severely gimped with what it is capable of)

Steam profile
    yeah, there's maybe a dozen PS3 games that work with PS3 remote play. it also works with PS1 titles, which is decent.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    You know all the games you have?

None of them work with Remote Play.

You know all the other stuff you can do on the PS3?

None of it works with Remote Play.

(A slight exaggeration, but that's basically what happened when I tried it. It's just severely gimped with what it is capable of)

Agreed. There's not much that remote plays to the Vita well... it's why there's so many games made for both that are cross-buy now. The one exception I found was Tokyo Jungle. That remote plays pretty well to the Vita, but they patched that into the game. And now with Tokyo Jungle Mobile out, it's not really needed that much anymore either.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

the PS3's wireless capabilities are poor, and the tech was developed without good compression. it's a laggy, generally unusable mess.

Additionally, PS3 Remote Play has to borrow unreserved system resources to work. You can PS4 Remote Play almost everything, you can only PS3 Remote Play stuff not using those system resources (so, basically, PS1 games and the occasional PS3 game that specifically allows it).

Edit: sniped like three times over, but yeah. PS3 Remote Play is barely a feature, unfortunately.

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
    To be 100% clear though, PS4 remote play is great. Think of PS3 remote play as the proof of concept that should be forgotten.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    God, the PS3 library on my Vita would wreck me. They would just find a skeleton holding a Vita.

I'm pretty skeptical that this'll work fast enough for action games. RPGs and slower games though? Sure.

So.... if I put a PS1 game into my PS3, I can remote play it to the Vita?

Steam profile
    yes

So.... if I put a PS1 game into my PS3, I can remote play it to the Vita?

As long as you aren't already trying to use the wireless function on your PS3 to connect to the internet. So either go offline or plug in an ethernet cable, then Remote Play will "work".

That's... that's actually pretty cool. How bad is the lag on PS1 games?

Why is "work" in quotation marks?

Steam profile

I'm just being snarky. PS3 Remote Play is janky at best.

Pretty bad, but YMMV a whole ton based on wireless saturation in your area.

I wouldn't even attempt anything that required real-time reactions, and I found turn-based games to be too tedious to actually play over PS3 remote play.

I mean, for actual PS3 games I know it's as good as not there, but I didn't realize the PS1 games were an option. But if it's still really meh, then it's probably not worth it.

Steam profile
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

It's a matter of perspective now. I'd consider PS3's WiFi on par with the PSPGo's WiFi. Both are... pretty damned sub-par by today's standards.

wbee62u815wj.png
    If you're going to play a PS1 game on Vita via RemotePlay, maybe see if it's on PSN first?

Yeah, but I'd have to buy it if it's on PSN. I already have a nice library of PS1 discs that I'd like to get usage out of if it's super-convenient :P

Steam profile
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'm with kime. I have FFVII, FFIX, FFT, SotN, Vandal Hearts and Vagrant Story sitting on my shelf. I have some other PS1 games kicking around at my parents' house. If I didn't have to re-buy them for playing at home, that would be slick.

Still need a fucking Vita.

I was actually in the mood for Legend of Dragoon recently, but not sure how that would work on Vita since there are some timing parts to it :(

Steam profile
    Well, uh... you can play them on the PS3 itself? Handhelds are very convenient and all, but PS3 remote play is not.

Yeah, I can, but I barely play consoles anymore really... If I have free time in the living room then chances are my wife is also there and watching TV :P

Steam profile
    I was actually in the mood for Legend of Dragoon recently, but not sure how that would work on Vita since there are some timing parts to it :(

That's kind of what I mean. I own a bunch of PS1 games, too. But via remote play is not how I want to re-experience them. I'd rather drop 6 or 10 bucks to play them without any hassle if I HAVE to play them on a portable. Which I have.

Yeah, I've done that for a couple too. Ah well, not a big deal, I got excited for a minute, but should have known better.

PS3 Remote Play, you disappointed me again :(

Steam profile
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So how do I signup for the PSNow beta?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    When you find out, let the class know :P

Steam profile
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Beltaine wrote: »

Posted by @Allforce in the PS4 thread:

Here's the beta signup for Playstation Now

http://us.playstation.com/playstationnow/

EDIT: Seems to be sign up for more information, not for the beta itself!

Morran on
    Morran wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »

Posted by @Allforce in the PS4 thread:

Here's the beta signup for Playstation Now

http://us.playstation.com/playstationnow/

Signed up. Didn't really sound like a beta though. They just basically said sign up for more information.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Oh man, when they get Dragon's Dogma streamable to the Vita, that'd be fantastic.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'll admit that Gravity Rush is not a game that is basically universally liked, ie P4G. But for me, it was one of the best games I've ever played, so I always recommend it :P

I'll be honest, P4G has started to grate on me. I started disliking it, went to being intrigued by it, enjoyed the "first" dungeon (well, not quite all of it, the brief introduction you get) and now I'm in to the social aspect and...well... the social aspect is just boring the shit out of me.

I'll probably put another hour in and see if it clicks, otherwise I'll be on to Soul Sacrifice.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Valkyria Chronicles is something I would very much like to remote play.

• bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/07/senran-kagura-cooking-rhythm-game-announced-senran-kagura-ev-teased/
    The Senran Kagura series is known for its busty ninja fighting action, but the immediate future of the series is taking the form of a new cooking rhythm game, called Dekamori Senran Kagura, for PlayStation Vita and PSP, according to this week’s Famitsu magazine.

The magazine categorizes the game as a “hyper big-breasted cooking-rhythm game” and it will be developed by Meteorise, who helped making titles such as Yui-Itsu-Sei Million Arthur, Lord of Vermillion Re:N, Ciel NoSurge, and more.

I don't think any of us saw that coming.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
This discussion has been closed.