As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eldritch Horror - Now playing! Oscar nomination: The Book Thief

MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Critical Failures
EldritchHorrorSlider.jpg

Eldritch Horror (aka Globe Trotting Arkham Horror)

The beautiful world as we know it:

gvaa.jpg

Time to break free of Arkham, bro! An ancient evil decided to end its 1000 year nap on your watch, so it's time to fish out your passport and travel to exotic locations to kill stuff and shop!

Anyone who's familiar with Arkham Horror should pick this one up quickly. Not familiar with Arkham Horror? You're dead to me.

Rules

Rules, reference guide, FAQ. Pretty much every possible rule quibble is covered in the guide.

Abridged Rules

Turn Summary

I. Investigator actions.
A. Investigators choose first player (can be anyone)
B. Clockwise from first player, investigators each take two actions. These possible actions are as follows:
1. Move (move one space, then spend tickets to continue moving, 1 ship ticket = 1 ship path, 1 train ticket= 1 train path. Uncharted paths can only be traveled on the action's first move)
2. Travel preparations (collect one train or ship ticket. Can only have 2 tickets at once.)
3. Acquire Assets (make influence check, get item based on # of successes) cannot perform on monster spaces
4. Rest (recover 1 sanity + 1 stamina) cannot perform on monster spaces
5. Trade (trade anything but skill improvements with an investigator in your space)
6. Special (special investigator and item abilities)
Investigators cannot perform the same action twice in one turn. Tickets and items may only be acquired on city spaces.
C. Encounters
1. Fight monsters
2. Location encounter (only if there are no monsters. Investigators on a named city may choose between that city's encounter deck OR a generic encounter. Investigators may choose between a location encounter, other world (gate) encounter, research (clue) encounter, or rumor encounter, but may ONLY do ONE each turn.)
D. Mythos
1. End of turn results. Clues spawn, doom advances, gates open, shit gets real.

Combat

Slightly different from Arkham. Combat is no longer to the death. You only fight one round each turn, and damage to monsters is carried over between turns. Investigators make a will check, then suffer sanity damage equal to the monsters' sanity damage rating minus the number of will check successes. The same is then done for strength check and stamina damage. Each success on the strength check inflicts 1 point of damage on the monster.

Investigators may only gain a single strength/will bonus during combat even if they possess multiple weapons. There is no limit to the number of secondary weapon effects you can apply. (i.e. you cannot gain +1 from the whip if you're using another weapon, but you can use the reroll).

Reckoning

A special Eldritch addition that pops up roughly every other turn. Special monster abilities, ancient ones slumber effect, rumors, and investigator conditions all go off whenever there is a reckoning. Don't get caught with madness, injuries, and a dark pact when a reckoning goes off!

Death

Another change from Arkham: when either your sanity or stamina reach zero, you are dead! Respawn as a new investigator and advance the doom.

You can however, get your stuff back. Each insane/crippled investigator says where they fell. Anyone may visit that spot to run a special encounter and nab your stash.

Conditions

Conditions are things like injury, madness, curses, blessings, debt, or detained. Players can never have 2 of the same condition.

Noteworthy differences from Arkham

-No money. Items now "cost" a certain number and buying items is based on the number of successes from your influence stat check. Players may take a debt to receive an additional 2 successes. Debts may be removed by spending an action to succeed at an influence check. Hold a debt when a reckoning happens, and bad people show up to do bad things to you.

-Combat not to the death. One will+strength test only. Monster damage carries over. Almost no monster can kill a full health investigator in one shot.

-No cheesing final combat. All normal victory conditions must be met in order to even damage an awakened ancient one!

-Can recover/shop anywhere.

-Can increase skills from starting value. Gain +1 to a skill every time you "improve" it, to a max of +2.

-No trophies. Killing monsters and closing gates is its own reward.

-No more moving through the other world. Closing gates is decided in a single encounter when you end your turn on a space with a gate (after dealing with any monsters).

-Clues are not automatically picked up!!! If you are on a space containing a clue during the encounter phase, you may attempt to gain that clue by running a special research encounter unique to that ancient one. Only one clue may be attempted like this per turn.

-Clues do not add additional dice to skill tests. You may spend 1 clue to reroll 1 die.

Misc.

Several cards such as conditions and spells will tell you to "flip this card" under certain circumstances. An unknown effect is waiting on the other side. This lends an air of unpredictability of what each injury or spell will do to you!

Players may not have 2 of the same spell. If they draw a duplicate spell, the new spell is discarded.

End game

Investigators win if they solve 3 mysteries, which are basically like the missions from Arkham Horror.

If the ancient one wakes up before 3 mysteries are solved, the game is not over! Play continues, but with really nasty effects that will soon end the game. If players can defeat the ancient one before then, they still win. IMPORTANT NOTE: the ancient one cannot be defeated until the 3 mysteries are solved. No skimping out on the main game to prep for ancient one fights!

The investigators lose if at any point you need to draw a mythos card and none remain. Each ancient one builds a deck of 13-15 mythos cards.

The Investigators
jdarksun as
eldritch-horror-leo-anderson-actions.jpg
Assets:
-Hired muscle (ally): +1 strength, may reroll 1 die during strength tests

mi-gohunter as
wk3l.png
Assets:
-Mists of Releh (spell): During the encounter phase, test Lore to ignore monsters. Then flip this card.

Neaden as
v60b.png
Assets:
-.38 revolver (item, weapon): +2 to strength test during combat
-kerosene (item): discard to gain +5 to strength test during combat

Bedlam as
wmau.png
Assets:
-.18 Derringer (trinket, weapon): may add +1 to the result of 1 die during combat strength test

Obifett as
615s.png
Assets:
-Flesh Ward (spell): Once per round, when any investigator would lose health, you may test Lore. If you pass, prevent that investigator from losing up to 2 health. Then flip this card.
-1 clue

Professor Phobos as
hbcg.png
Assets:
-Feed the Mind (spell): Action: Test Lore (-1). Pass, and choose an investigator on your space to improve 1 skill of his choice. Then flip this card.

Astaereth as
gwx6.png
Assets:
-Personal Assistant: +1 influence, may reroll 1 die during influence tests.

SaberOverEasy as
viu8.png
Assets:
-Shriveling (spell): Action- Test Lore. Pass, and choose a monsters on your space to lose 2 health. Then flip this card.
-1 clue

Ancient One
01_Az.jpg
His slumber just means Doom advances an additional space when the omen reaches the Green Comet space.
Spoiler: You automatically lose if he wakes up.

8 Players
Gate Spawn: 2 gates
Clue Spawn: 4 clues
Monster Surge: 3 monsters per active omen gate

Bookkeeping- Please post official moves in Dodgerblue. Flavor fan fic is fine, as long as the actual orders are in blue. Please also list the new total if there are any changes to your investigator's health or sanity.

(Much like the Constitution, this OP is a living document and will be corrected as I iron things out)

MrBody on

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Rarely has someone had a name so appropriate for a game in which they wished to play.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I'm intrigued.

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Rarely has someone had a name so appropriate for a game in which they wished to play.

Indeed, the origin of this name was from an old Fantasy Flight account I created about three years ago and it's been my username for just about everything ever since.

Also I haven't played a board game in so long (CAH doesn't count) so I'm really looking forward to this. :)

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    YES! THIS IS WHAT I WANT!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I am disappointed in your lack of mitten.

• Options
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    How many more players can this take?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Game supports 1-8 players like Arkham.

I guess you can start deciding on which ancient one you would like to face. Choices are Azathoth, Yog_Sothoth, Cthulhu, and Shub-Niggarath. In my opinion, those are in ascending order of difficulty. It's mostly recommended for new players to take on Az.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    me me me!

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm totally new to Arkham games. I have Elder Sign on my phone but its quite different from what I've read of this.

So my vote is for Azathoth

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I'm going to start dealing out investigators soon. New players may still join until we have 8 (2 slots left).

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'd like to play!

I'll vote for Shub-Niggarath.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    investigators now in the OP

MrBody on
  • Options
    So glad we all agree

This has the makings of a great team!

• Options
    Look mate. When you've been across the bush like I have, you see things. And sometimes you realize, you gotta put aside your differences. Or the cosmic horrors will eat you alive.

I named a dingo Azathoth once.

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    If there's one more spot, I'll give this a try. It will be nice not to murder jdark and Obi for a change.

• Options
    (edit: investigators are now in the OP)

• Options
    edited January 2014
    MrBody wrote: »

lies?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »

lies?
    The investigators were always in Eurasia.

• Options
    That's 2 votes for Az and 1 vote for each of the others. We'll get the ball rolling and say Az won. He is now in the OP.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Reserve up! Used to play Arkham with friends and had a smashing time, so this could be fun too!

• Options
    Opening gate spawns: Tokyo (Elder Thing (moves to Antartica)), Istanbul (Star Spawn)
    4 clues spawn: Rome, Greenland, American Heartland, Panama

Ouch. 2 of the toughest monsters right off the bat.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Game Start
    Map
    q8lx.jpg

Asset Reserve
    (2) Private Investigator (ally): Gain +1 Observation. May reroll 1 die for Observation tests.
    (2) Spirit Dagger (item-weapon-magical): Gain +1 Will, +2 Strength during combat.
    (4) Agency Quarantine (service): Immediately choose 1 space. Each monster on that space loses 4 health. Discard this card.
    (1) Wireless report (service-teamwork): Immediately give any number of clues to another investigator. Discard.

Active Monsters
    Star Spawn
    Will -1 (3 damage)
    Strength -3 (3 damage)
    5 health
    Reckoning. Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, advance Doom by 1.

Elder Thing
    Will +0 (3 damage)
    Strength -1 (2 damage)
    3 health

Current Mystery
    Occult Research
    The shan are controlling innocent victims everywhere, using them to call forth Azathoth.

After an investigator resolves a Research Encounter, he may spend 1 Clue he gained from that encounter and place that Clue on this mystery.

At the end of the Mythos Phase, if there are (8) clues on this card, solve this mystery.

Investigators to decide who to make Lead investigator. They perform their 2 actions first, play proceeds down the order listed in the OP investigator roster. Lead investigator is sometimes the target of good and bad things during mythos cards.

Nothing requires the GM's attention during actions, so feel free to run through the whole phase without waiting on me.

Future updates will reflect investigator statuses. For now just go off the OP.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Tips: The blue constellation gates advance the doom twice as fast as the other gates.
    The expedition encounter is a difficult task that often requires two skill checks, but yields powerful artifacts.
    Any skill check is possible for research (clue) encounters, but Observation is the most common.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Err, I'm not sure if I missed it somewhere, but do we have a mystery card somewhere?

Edit: It also looks like we might be missing a few routes in the map. From the <small> illustration in the rulebook, there looks like are sea route to Buenos Aires from both Panama and the Carribean. Also, Buenos Aires is slightly misspelled :P

Edit 2: I think there's a sea route from East Africa to South Africa that needs to be put in as well. I know you've doing this by hand Mr Body, so color me impressed! I'd certainly miss more than a few routes if I tried this!

SaberOverEasy on
  • Options
    Oops. That's kind of important.

Mystery added. There is nothing we can do for Buenos Aires, unfortunately. The forces of Azathoth have corrupted one of the letters and we had to dump it before it spread.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Hm, question. Can out of the way monsters essentially be ignored? Unless the monster has a Reckoning effect there is no real reason to actively seek out and destroy them, right?
    Also what are exactly on the gate tokens? Just curious, so I can utilize Akachi's ability.

And I nominate whoever is the most experienced player to be lead investigator.

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Hm, question. Can out of the way monsters essentially be ignored? Unless the monster has a Reckoning effect there is no real reason to actively seek out and destroy them, right?
    Generally, yes, unless there is a useful encounter on their location (like a clue, active rumor, gate to be closed, etc).
    Also what are exactly on the gate tokens? Just curious, so I can utilize Akachi's ability.
    A gate token has location name (where it appears) and a symbol which matters when Omen track is advanced. If symbols on Omen track and gate match, Doom track is advanced

Also I'd like to be added to reserve

Daemonis on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I've played this one and a half times, as far as experience goes.

Monsters that aren't guarding anything important can be ignored (unlike in Arkham Horror, where they'd move around). The things to focus on right now are the Star Spawn and the gates, because Azathoth is all about keeping the Doom down. However, it might be worth everybody taking a turn to power up before some of us go after those and some go after clues to get the first mystery going.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth for first player.

If i was, I'd probably try to buy the spirit dagger. Or move to Panama for the clue.

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Oh man, missed it entirely. I'll !reserve up though.

• Options
    I'm down with Astaereth as player 1.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Sounds fine to me!

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    ahhhh i missed this. Reserve, please

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Wait, I read somewhere that Lola starts with one skill improvement. Is that true?

• Options
    That star spawn looks super scary. Considering doom = death for us, I think we want to take care of it ASAP.

Luckily, I think we can remove it before we get a mythos card. If Obi (Jacqueline) sends her starting clue to Prof Phobos (Norman), he can use the clue, a sanity point and his action to take that thing out. I think that might be a little easier for us than trying to actually fight it.