As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] - Ys sir, can I Ys have some more?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The longer I've been away from P4G, (since the end of November in real life, sitting at the end of December in the game) the less I want to get back to it and finish it. The plot does nothing for me, I've already maxed all the S. Links I wanted to max, the dungeons are randomly-generated junk, and the combat doesn't do anything interesting functionally, though it does look nice.

That's the biggest thing in its favor, really. The style of the game. Graphics, UI, and music are all top-notch.

I'd keep going if I knew I didn't have at least two more dungeons ahead of me, just to say I'd finished it. I dunno, I'll load it up and see how I feel.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    The longer I've been away from P4G, (since the end of November in real life, sitting at the end of December in the game) the less I want to get back to it and finish it. The plot does nothing for me, I've already maxed all the S. Links I wanted to max, the dungeons are randomly-generated junk, and the combat doesn't do anything interesting functionally, though it does look nice.

That's the biggest thing in its favor, really. The style of the game. Graphics, UI, and music are all top-notch.

I'd keep going if I knew I didn't have at least two more dungeons ahead of me, just to say I'd finished it. I dunno, I'll load it up and see how I feel.

In my opinion the stronger plot narrative in the game is just now coming to the fore. Finish December and see how you feel about the plot then, if that's felt lacking so far.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Talk about increasing the value of a platform...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONodIKe6Zag

• Options
    That video was posted literally right above yours.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It bears repeating, though.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    That video was posted literally right above yours.

Ha! Sorry about that... Posting from my phone at work... They only appear as links

• Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    I haven't had time to read up on it, but saw someone's post that has me wondering: Is this new service from Son'y going to be something the consumer has to pay for, or is it a part of PS+ or something? Also, is it like the whole UMD thing where we will have to buy our games all over again to be able to stream them to a new system?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    What I've been hearing is a separate subscription service from PS+. Like Gametap!

• Options
    b1rdman wrote: »
    I haven't had time to read up on it, but saw someone's post that has me wondering: Is this new service from Son'y going to be something the consumer has to pay for, or is it a part of PS+ or something? Also, is it like the whole UMD thing where we will have to buy our games all over again to be able to stream them to a new system?

I forget where it was reported, but it sounds like the rental/subscription charge will be a separate service and not part of PS+. I think the service on a whole is much stronger if it gives you free access to stuff you bought for real on PSN, but that remains to be seen.

• Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Well that's a bummer. That kinda makes me think that it will in fact make us pay for already owned games. Unless its a service like netflix where its all you can play for the fee. I'm not familiar with Gametap. I'll have to go look it up. Either way, I really don't want another subscription to pay for. I already have netflix, ps+, amazon prime/instant, moviepass etc... I'll be penniless and wretched soon.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Gametap was netflix for games, before netflix even existed. Pay per month, all the games you can download.

Edit: It still exists, actually. It was pretty neat.

captaink on
  • Options
    The service is also for use with just a Bravia TV and a PS3 controller, so for the sort of person who just wants to see what The Last of Us is all about, paying a subscription like Netflix is pretty normal.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    The service is also for use with just a Bravia TV and a PS3 controller, so for the sort of person who just wants to see what The Last of Us is all about, paying a subscription like Netflix is pretty normal.

My old Samsung TV is starting to show some banding so I might be in the market for a new TV in the next year or so. This possibility right here is reason enough for me to buy a Sony TV. It might even serve as a reason for me to NOT get a PS4 since I have a lot to catch up on home consoles and old games since I had kids and went all-portable with my devices.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It really depends on the pricing for me. If it's seamless streaming of an unlimited library of PS3 games to my Vita? I'd probably be willing to pay a little more than I would for, say, Netflix.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    There will be a subscription service and ala carte rentals.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Given the value that PS+ is, I'm actually quite hopeful that this will also be a really nice value.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The end of Soul Sacrifice' Librom was stellar. Now that's how you storytell a plot twist.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    captaink wrote: »
    Gametap was netflix for games, before netflix even existed. Pay per month, all the games you can download.

Aw man. It's still around? It was pretty cool back in the day.

I don't think I ever actually paid for it. A month of free gametap used to be on the low level prizes from coke rewards so I'd always drink some coke and then use it towards my gametap subscription. Gametap gets credit for introducing me to Pyschonauts.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

I don't think I ever actually paid for it. A month of free gametap used to be on the low level prizes from coke rewards so I'd always drink some coke and then use it towards my gametap subscription. Gametap gets credit for introducing me to Pyschonauts.

Me too! They had really good stuff on there. I wish I could remember the other games I played on it.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Been enjoying Sorcery Saga a lot. It's a cute wacky roguelike with a low barrier to entry & a heavy emphasis on crafting.

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    Anyone had any luck with PS4 Remote Play using their Vita on a different network? My Vita can never locate the PS4 over the internet, though on the same WiFi it's near flawless.

My PS4 has NAT Type 2, and its Vita settings aren't on Direct Connection. Is there some other trickery I'm missing?

I already know it will be unplayable due to my hobo Australian connection, but I'd still like to try.

• Options
    Been enjoying Sorcery Saga a lot. It's a cute wacky roguelike with a low barrier to entry & a heavy emphasis on crafting.

The dungeons wore on me by the end, but otherwise, yup, I enjoyed it for those very same reasons. Pupuru is a really fun character and especially her riffing on the "villain" side of the cast is great.
    Anyone had any luck with PS4 Remote Play using their Vita on a different network? My Vita can never locate the PS4 over the internet, though on the same WiFi it's near flawless.

My PS4 has NAT Type 2, and its Vita settings aren't on Direct Connection. Is there some other trickery I'm missing?

I already know it will be unplayable due to my hobo Australian connection, but I'd still like to try.

I had problems on a different network too; despite being on Type 2 and doing port forwards, it only worked for me when I had UPnP working on my router.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/viainternet.html

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular

I had problems on a different network too; despite being on Type 2 and doing port forwards, it only worked for me when I had UPnP working on my router.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/viainternet.html

Brilliant, that solved it thanks!

...annnd my connection speed is too slow to support it. Time to emigrate.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Muramasa Rebirth Gonbee the country bumpkin DLC trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJbec2Mtetg

and here's the one for the Nekomata, if you missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jQwwsqNDXE

Nyan! Aksys have already said they'll be localizing the DLC to North America.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Endless runner x skateboarding game OlliOlli has a release date. January 21 in NA, January 22 in Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9RqtCk7YYo

I wasn't keeping an eye on this one, seems like it could be fun. It has a Spelunky-ish daily challenge mode and looks like it'll focus on tight execution gameplay.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I had only saw some screens before, hadn't read anything about it or watched video. I wasn't hyped about it, but finding out it's an endless runner has lowered my interest significantly. Endless runners are for touch screens that don't offer precise directional controls. Vita has a very nice d-pad, and should have more awesome 2D platformers (I know it has some already, but it needs more).

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Me too! They had really good stuff on there. I wish I could remember the other games I played on it.

It was through GameTap that I learned about how funny Sam and Max was and that Telltale games existed. It was a pretty cool little service!

Also had lots of Sega and Neo Geo stuff too, Metal Slug on my PC? hells yes

• Options
    edited January 2014
    It sounds like the sticks and triggers are used, at least for tricks:
    You were recommended to put this on to the Vita, what is it that you think makes the game suit the platform?

The original Demo that we pitched to Sony was built on iOS (never released) using touch controls, having the analog sticks on the Vita enhances the game massively. We’ve managed to implement over 120 tricks and by using the left and right triggers you can now add spins to any of your tricks. (there are a couple of levels you can pull 1080′s but we’ll leave you to find those for yourself!)

Edit: here's a video of the creative director playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8_EP6iV5Y

I dunno, it looks like it could be cool.

bss on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Anyone post that Amazon has white Vitas in stock now? No idea where these came from but they won't be available long. These are not the AC bundles at all, just standalone white Vitas.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Vita-Wi-Fi-Model-Crystal-White/dp/B00HFZ5KCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1389208640&sr=1-1&keywords=PlayStation Vita Wi-Fi Model - Crystal White&tag=viglink129408-20

• Options
    I assume they're refurbs.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    It sounds like the sticks and triggers are used, at least for tricks:
    You were recommended to put this on to the Vita, what is it that you think makes the game suit the platform?

The original Demo that we pitched to Sony was built on iOS (never released) using touch controls, having the analog sticks on the Vita enhances the game massively. We’ve managed to implement over 120 tricks and by using the left and right triggers you can now add spins to any of your tricks. (there are a couple of levels you can pull 1080′s but we’ll leave you to find those for yourself!)

Edit: here's a video of the creative director playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8_EP6iV5Y

I dunno, it looks like it could be cool.

Kind of reminds me of the snowboard halfpipe in ski or die.... which is a very good thing!

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I assume they're refurbs.

They're brand new it looks like, 199.99. In a fancy white box too!

edit: Also should mention these are OLED models.

Allforce on
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Anyone post that Amazon has white Vitas in stock now? No idea where these came from but they won't be available long. These are not the AC bundles at all, just standalone white Vitas.

I'm considering picking up a Vita and it happens that this the second time today I've seen the white AC version sans AC mentioned.

Is there something special, other than color, that makes it a better deal than the Walking Dead WiFi / 3G bundle that is $10 less?

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Oh, the white vita is hard to get or something?

• Options
    Originally only available in a bundle with Assassin's Creed Liberation. I have it. It's...a white Vita.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    I had no idea and I have a white vita, hah.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Since I have an extra memory card now, I was thinking about making a Japanese PSN account to download JPN titles.

How complicated is it to pay for games on Japanese PSN?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    I'm fine with my black Vita. Smudges and scratches are tougher to see, plus it looks different than all the iTech I've got around.

Black is the new black.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Since I have an extra memory card now, I was thinking about making a Japanese PSN account to download JPN titles.

How complicated is it to pay for games on Japanese PSN?

Not too complicated, but not as easy as it could be. They only accept Japanese credit cards, so you need to go to a site like play-asia.com or nippon-yasan.com and buy a PSN yen card digital code, and then wait for them to email you the code, which you then add as funds to your account. And of course you'll need to engage in a bit of trickery to get a valid JP account, but that's not too hard.

There's a pretty good guide to the entire process on Dustloop: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?16987-Importing-101

Edit: naturally, there's some markup included in buying the cards.

bss on
This discussion has been closed.