As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Durdle turtle's a big hurdle.

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
edited September 2014 in Critical Failures
This entire OP has been stolen from @Griswold who stole it from @Shadowen! I totally did not make any sly edits.

Magic: The Gathering

Image.ashx?multiverseid=933&type=card

Origins of the Game (credit: @Shadowen)
Magic: the Gathering was invented in 1487 by Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli under the name Duello Di Stregoni and enjoyed a brief popularity amongst the merchant class of Florence but unfortunately was lost to history when Friar Savonarola burned every card in existence after his discovery that Machiavelli defeated him despite holding a Bloom Cadaverico in his lap the whole time. The only remaining record of the game was the Voynich Manuscript written in original Dominarian and translated in 1994 by Dr. Richard Garfield, a ruthless sociopathic polymath with degrees in mathematics, linguistics, and aeronautic engineering. His understanding of Machiavelli's brilliant malevolence lent him unique insights he fashioned into the initial design of the game.Since then, the game has come under the direction of the MaRo, a hideous beast that delights in torturing people after they give him money, and its erstwhile "owners", Sorcerers by the Sea. However, their perch is precarious.

At the age of eighteen the game is now legal, but in the intervening time it has become a self-aware monster, its tentacles spreading to all corners of the globe, and now rather than the other way around it is busy fucking us to get at that sweet, sweet cash. They tend it carefully, lest they become its next victims.

---

General Gameplay Concepts
Cast creatures such as Storm Crow! Fight with creatures such as Storm Crow! Is your opponent dead yet? Yes? Good job. No? Equip Razor Boomerang to your Storm Crow and try again!

---

Can You Give Me A Real Primer, Please
OK, yes. I stole this too:

If you want to get a closer look at the rules, check out this link and click on “New to Magic”. There is also a game called Duels of the Planeswalkers (there are three games right now: the original, 2012, and 2013), and you can get the demo for any of the three versions for free on X-Box Live, Playstation Network, or Steam. They have tutorials built in! Isn’t that thoughtful?

...you’re having trouble finding players? Fair enough. You know the store where you got those cards? Ask them if they have any events. Typically they will have a thing called Friday Night Magic. There’s meet and greets, mini-tourneys, casual play, trades, group homosexual sex (especially amongst the judge community), the works. Also, don’t worry about the lore. Do you need to care about the story in Risk? No, you just conquer all the other motherfuckers. If you want, you can look into it, but it doesn't need to distract you from killing people with Storm Crow.

The Colors
There are five colors of magic and tens of thousands of individual cards between them (not to mention colorless cards!), but they generally adhere to the following style. (Some cards step out of these for various reasons, but this is a good rule of thumb.)

White: Efficient armies of small creatures. Permanent status effects. Healing. Judgment. Angels. “Good guy” magic.
Blue: Storm Crow. Countermagic. Flying creatures. Locking down the board. Mind control. Card advantage through drawing more cards than an opponent. Mermaids and gigantic sea-creatures. “Dick” magic.
Black: Chimney Imp. Creature killing. Creature punishment. Player punishment (and not just opponents). Card advantage through forcing an opponent to discard. Vampires. Zombies. Ghouls. “Bad guy” magic.
Red: Direct damage hitting creatures and players. Fast creatures with drawbacks. Fire. Goblins, dragons, other shitty creatures that aren't Storm Crow. “Psychopath” magic.
Green: Enormous creatures, hard to kill creatures, magical energy generated by creatures, and anti-air that makes every flying creature that's not Storm Crow quake in their boots. Elves and beasts. “Forest path” magic. Two explores.

Here are some USEFUL LINKS:
Magicthegathering.com - This is the Magic mothership! You can find all sorts of goodies here, including article series that cover the many facets of magic from both a player and designer perspective. I'm pretty partial to Making Magic, Building on a Budget, and Limited Information!
Gatherer - This is Wizards' official card database. You search for cards using some different parameters (color, cost, artist, to name a few). Good for building theme decks or finding a particular wording.
The Magic Rules page - This is where you can find the comprehensive rules alongside a list of every keyword in magic.
MagicCards.Info - a Gatherer-esque site which provides quick search, comparison of different card arts for individual cards, and card pricing information.
Star City Games - This is probably the next biggest Magic site next to the mothership; it has its own database alongside its own daily columns. As an added bonus, Star City is a very reputable Magic retailer, and is a good place to look if you want a price reference for certain cards.
ChannelFireball - The best free resource for Magic: the Gathering strategy articles, and a reputable card dealer in its own right.
MTGSalvation - A good website dedicated to Magic, and the best source for compiled information about "spoiled" cards from upcoming (unreleased) Magic sets.
Tappedout.net - A website used to post decks to share with others, or to find ideas for your own decks.
Essentialmagic.com - This is another site that allows you to construct decks and post them online for critique. It also has a comprehensive list of formats and what sets are legal in each of them.
The Magic Academy - This is an article series that was written as a tool for new players to get themselves familiar with the game. It explains the philosophies behind certain cards, when to play them, when to attack, how to block correctly, and other helpful topics.
Five Rules for Avoiding Manascrew - One Weird Trick To Devise A Solid Mana Base For Any Deck
Deckbuilding 101: Five Tips for Better Deckbuilding - A must-read for any Magic player. It doesn't really discuss specific strategy, but spells out certain fundamentals that every Magic player should absorb right into his bone marrow.
Not Storm Crow. Go home, Gatherer, you are drunk.

---

Release of New Sets
New sets come out roughly every three months, with a "core set" being released every summer, and a "block" of three thematically- (and often mechanically-) linked sets being released at three-month intervals throughout the year. This gives Wizards no less than four, but really more like eleventy-seven, opportunities to squeeze your wallet dry annually.

Since Magic 2010, core sets have been comprised of roughly 50% new cards and 50% reprints. They serve to be simpler sets mechanically, which lowers the barrier-to-entry for new players, as well as helping to sculpt the Standard environment by defining a set of reprinted cards which are available to the format. The most recent core set is Magic 2014, but it kind of sucks don't buy it.

The advanced expansions that comprise a "block" are comprised of a much higher ratio of new cards to reprints (90-10 or 95-5, excluding basic lands), and tend to introduce more complex cards and interactions. The first set of a block is typically a "large" expansion (~250 cards), and the second and third sets are "small" expansions (~160 cards). The most recent complete block is comprised of three sets: Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and Dragon's Maze. The current block consists of Theros and two more upcoming sets in 2014.

Duel Decks, Premium Decks, Commander products, and "From The Vault" anthologies are released periodically, and provide Wizards a way to make more money by releasing cards that are in demand for other formats, without making those cards legal in Standard by shoehorning them into a new set. We eagerly await the arrival of From the Vault: Storm Crow.

---

Magic: The Gathering Online

A Guide for the New and Returning Player (totally mostly stolen)
As it goes with most things, players enter and exit the game with some regularity, but most frequently when the client crashes on them. Similarly, the game changes with the introduction of every new set and the costs to play are always in flux due to the various economic conditions and overall popularity of the game. So how you gonna stay on top of a thing?

To start: Rules Primer for New and Returning Players

Once you've slogged through that, you can start in two places on MTGO (or both): Limited, or Constructed.

Limited (Booster Draft / Sealed) - These formats are played using unopened product, and the prize payout for Limited events *is* unopened product, so the cost-per-event will vary wildly based on your performance. It can also be dangerously expensive for the beginner or bad player, so be cautious about entering into the game and heading straight to the draft queues. Expenditures of $11-$14 will quickly multiply and you will be sucking dick behind the Olive Garden to make rent.

Standard - The most popular "Constructed" format, comprised of the two most recent "blocks" + the most recent core set (though there is a brief interval where multiple core sets are legal). As with most Constructed formats, Standard has a high cost of entry that is partially exacerbated by the fact that the format rotates yearly and players have to "re-up". However, once you have a deck built, its shell will generally last you 6-12 months, and your cards will tend to retain at least a portion of their value until they rotate out of the format. Standard events also have a much cheaper entry fee, since you don't have to cover the cost of unopened product, and you can't play Storm Crow in them.

Beyond Limited and Standard, you'll find Block Constructed, Modern, Legacy, Pauper, and Classic. Besides Pauper, which is exclusively commons (albeit some relatively expensive commons), the other formats all have similar (or greater) costs to Standard, but most of them will allow Storm Crow in some capacity.

FAQ
Q: Where can I procure this game?
A: Right here, at the official Wizards site.

Q: This is ugly as hell?
A: The new version of the MTGO client is in Beta testing. Also, a lot of people fail to appreciate how hard it is to get a full M:TG battlefield's worth of cards and information onto a single screen without having it look cluttered. It used to be even uglier. God knows why they didn't just use the visuals from the Duels of the Planeswalkers Xbox/Steam/iOS/PSN/Atari Lynx game, but god knows why they printed Razor Boomerang when they could have just reprinted Storm Crow instead.

Q: It runs like shit.
A: That's not a question.

Q: What is there to do in the game?
A: Almost everything you can do in Paper Magic, and a couple other things besides. Currently, you'll have access to about 90% of every card ever printed -- almost everything worthwhile that's Pre-Mirage has been compiled into four Master's Edition sets, while everything from Mirage on is available (though only Standard-legal sets are purchasable from the official store). All the major formats are played online, with a constant stream of Draft, Sealed, Block Constructed, Standard, and Modern tournaments. The occasional Legacy and 100-Card Singleton tournament will also fire, but don't hold your breath! The multiplayer room is home to 2- and 3-Headed Giant, Emperor, Commander/EDH, FFA, and other niche game types.

Q: How much is this going to cost me?
A: A new account costs 10 dollars (if you like the game, it's going to end up costing you a lot more). Every new account comes with a set of gold-bordered cards taken from the Duels of the Planeswalkers game, as well as a mish-mash of cards from the most recent core set and a booster from that same set. It's suggested that you don't "open" the Planeswalker pack, as the cards can't be used outside of a single specific format, don't contain Storm Crow, and they will clutter your collection.

Q: How do you get unopened boosters for less than $4 each? How do you get boosters that are no longer sold by Wizards?
A: People and bots sell them! Generally, since the payout for Constructed and Limited tournaments is in booster packs of a current set, people are willing to sell those for less than face value in order to turn them into a more universal MTGO currency ("Event Tickets," which correspond roughly to dollars). You can frequently find packs of recently released sets for around 3.5 "tickets" apiece.

Q: Where are good places to buy singles on MTGO?
A: @ChaosHat recommends CardHoarder and MTGO Traders. He claims they are "consistently cheap" and "pretty nice".

Q: Where can I sell my singles back to feed my drafting addiction?
A: I'd recommend any of the CardBuyingBot bots, or the Supernovabot bots. Their prices are generally pretty fair.

Q: How could anyone pay that much for fake cards?
A: Because the game is fun? Also, if you collect every card in a set, you can redeem them for a pull set of paper cards (check the "set redemption" details on the MTGO website to see which sets are currently eligible for redemption). And really why would you pay that much for painted cardboard in the so-called "real world" if you were really concerned about intrinsic value? And what is the real world anyway but just an illusion created by the Demiurge to trap men's souls upon a physical plane of endless yearning?

Q: How do I join the PA clan?
A: Add metaghost to your buddies list once you sign up. Then, if you see him online, PM him and ask for a clan invite. He claims to usually be on evenings, EST/EDT.

Q: How come I can't play spells at the appropriate times? I'd really appreciate being able to drop a Storm Crow on dat azz.
A: Check your stops. Go into your Gameplay Settings and you'll see a grid of boxes structured according the various timing steps. If the game isn't letting you cast a spell when you want/should be able to, check the appropriate box. Beware of too many stops though, as it can slow your play to a crawl and result in undeserved losses. As a related aside, to respond to your own spell-casting, primarily for the use of a card like Twincast, you must hold the CTRL key as you cast the initial spell.

Q: My opponent in this tournament hasn't done anything for like 3 minutes. What gives?
A: In what is one of the most annoying and persistent glitches of all time, it's possible that it's YOU who haven't done anything for 3 minutes. Sometimes priority doesn't get passed properly and the client bugs out. If you think this might be the case, close MTGO, re-open it and log back in.

Q: When I'm online, how do I link cards in the chat windows like a pro?
A: Just put the card name in curly brackets. Like this: {Storm Crow}

---

Good luck! This may be a kid's card game, but you're an adult, so fucking take a shower and pull up your pants already. Nobody wants to see your ass crack.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
Feral on

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Mmmm, it's got that new thread smell.

Most importantly, the holiday Cube is around on MTGO until the next downtime tomorrow! Log on! Play the greatest format in history!

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I bet the Chimney Imps deck has Chittering Rats in it.

Storm Crow gonna get Chittering Rat Locked.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I approve of this thread, even with its historical revisionism.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I bet the Chimney Imps deck has Chittering Rats in it.

Storm Crow gonna get Chittering Rat Locked.

ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    How had I not heard about the sheer power of chimney imp???

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Friend getting a Modern Masters draft together this weekend.

So stoked. I love that set so goddamn much.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Also, am I crazy, or did Cube drafts cost 17 Phantom tickets last time, in a shameless attempt to force people to fork over 10 real tickets WAY more often? And then Wizards screwed the pooch and lowered it as a mea culpa.

Just went 1-1 and a bye with Mono Red. Debating going one more time, or going to sleep. Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    Well, I am awake right now.

Used up my phantom points last night in an effort to draft a mostly fair deck, but Upheaval into anything is still stupidly good. I also used Necropotence for the first time in cube and I like it! JTMS only got to -1 lol. I think in the entire holiday cube I never got to brainstorm with Jace. Poor little old me. So now I have exactly 16 phantom points...

V0Gug2h.png
    Also, am I crazy, or did Cube drafts cost 17 Phantom tickets last time, in a shameless attempt to force people to fork over 10 real tickets WAY more often? And then Wizards screwed the pooch and lowered it as a mea culpa.

I'm pretty sure you're correct.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Man, those MLP mockups are horrible. There's no way Pinkie is Esper, especially with Jund or Naya being options. She needs red, is what I'm saying. Anyone who wouldn't put the color of chaos onto Pinkie (and does add blue) has no respect for the color pie and/or characterization. (Also: her "look at seven" ability is a templating mess.)

A little weird that none of them are mono-black but since that's the color of selfishness I guess it makes sense overall.

Although I do love "can only be blocked by creatures with haste" on Dash. That's something WotC should actually use one day just to be funny.

Man, wtf has my wife done to me? >_<

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    The Betman wrote: »

I wonder if Kiora's backstory or design came first, as it's interesting to note how her "two explores" and "ula's temple" powers play into her Zendikar-origin.

I wonder if Kiora's backstory or design came first, as it's interesting to note how her "two explores" and "ula's temple" powers play into her Zendikar-origin.

Hard to say given how far in advance they work. They were probably simultaneous, or at least influenced each other as they progressed.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Hard to say given how far in advance they work. They were probably simultaneous, or at least influenced each other as they progressed.
    Kiora was in either the original or second Duels of the Planeswalkers, helming a deck full of explores and big blue weirdness. It was one of my favorite decks in that edition.

I'm really excited about her being a planeswalker. She'll probably be the first one that I actively hunt for a playset of.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited January 2014
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Kiora was in either the original or second Duels of the Planeswalkers, helming a deck full of explores and big blue weirdness. It was one of my favorite decks in that edition.

I'm really excited about her being a planeswalker. She'll probably be the first one that I actively hunt for a playset of.

EDIT: She was in DotP2012, which was what... August 2011? So Zendikar was about to rotate out of Standard by the time she first appeared IIRC.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Eagerly awaiting the follow-up wombo combo that is Duel Decks: Hovermyr vs. Scornful Egotist.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    OptimusZed wrote: »

EDIT: She was in DotP2012, which was what... August 2011? So Zendikar was about to rotate out of Standard by the time she first appeared IIRC.

Yeah. I loved the Kiora deck so much. Most of the time, it was ridiculously explosive. Sometimes it just fizzled completely.

It also made the best Archenemy deck.

Griswold wrote: »
    Eagerly awaiting the follow-up wombo combo that is Duel Decks: Hovermyr vs. Scornful Egotist.

A premium foil Hovermyr is going to be in From the Vault: Storm Crow, along with Basilica Screecher, Noble Vestige, Utvara Scalper, Willow Faerie, and Jace the Mind Sculptor.

Feral wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »

A premium foil Hovermyr is going to be in From the Vault: Storm Crow, along with Basilica Screecher, Noble Vestige, Utvara Scalper, Willow Faerie, and Jace the Mind Sculptor.

Noble Vestige has a CMC of 3. :P

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I'm still considering taking out Elite Arcanists from my deck. The combo, as powerful as it is, just seems too slow a lot of the time. It seems like I want to win by turn 6 or 7 at the latest, since my deck, being budget, doesn't have answers for the bombs my oppenent will be rolling out after that.

Not sure ill do it, but there are two cards I'm considering swapping in:

Battlewise Hoplite:

Upside - Scry is great, especially for clearing lands since I have such a low mana curve. Has heroic triggers.

Downside - higher mana cost than favored Hoplite, for a singleton pump. Difficult mana cost for turn 2.

Daxos of Meletis:

Upside - Hidden strings delivery package! Some Lifegain! Possible free spells! If he gets even a few pumps from Phalanx Leader, he can become quite deadly.

Downside - legendary. Higher CMC (though lower than Arcanist). Really needs to take some pumps from Phalanx Leader to get going.

Thoughts?

APODionysus, I couldn't find your deck list in the old thread.

Would you mind posting it?

Creature (19)
    3x Elite Arcanist
    4x Fabled Hero
    4x Favored Hoplite
    4x Nivmagus Elemental
    4x Phalanx Leader

Sorcery (4)
    4x Hidden Strings

Enchantment (3)
    3x Aqueous Form

Instant (11)
    3x Dauntless Onslaught
    4x Gods Willing
    4x Triton Tactics

Land (23)
    4x Azorius Guildgate
    8x Island
    11x Plains

Relevant to last thread's discussion about fakes: http://polishtamales.tumblr.com/post/72642482887

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    In a fantasy land, what the deck really needs is a Hallowed Fountain playset to make it more consistant, but that's outside the budget.

Creature (19)
    3x Elite Arcanist
    4x Fabled Hero
    4x Favored Hoplite
    4x Nivmagus Elemental
    4x Phalanx Leader

Sorcery (4)
    4x Hidden Strings

Enchantment (3)
    3x Aqueous Form

Instant (11)
    3x Dauntless Onslaught
    4x Gods Willing
    4x Triton Tactics

Land (23)
    4x Azorius Guildgate
    8x Island
    11x Plains

Some low-budget candidates to replace Elite Arcanist:

Imposing Sovereign
    Daxos of Meletis
    Wingsteed Rider
    Hopeful Eidolon

Also: Banisher Priest

I think I'm gonna try Daxos out. I can grab a playset for 0.20.

I might even have bot credit with MTGOtraders for that.

Arcanist/Tactics combo might be still better for the long game, but I'm probably not winning the long game anyway.

I think I'm gonna try Daxos out. I can grab a playset for 0.20.

I might even have bot credit with MTGOtraders for that.

Arcanist/Tactics combo might be still better for the long game, but I'm probably not winning the long game anyway.

You probably don't need 4 of Daxos, since he is Legendary. Probably better with 2.

Oh in the deck, absolutely. I was thinking 2-3.

I just like having playsets when I can afford them.

@APODinonysus — Hit me up when you next see me online and I'll loan you a playset of Hallowed Fountains and can probably give you a number of other cards you might want to experiment with.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    @APODinonysus - Might also want to look at Cavalry Pegasus. Just don't run face-first into Windstorm. (Nobody plays Windstorm, this will never actually happen.)

Looking at Daxos, I think I'll run 3, swapping straight up with Arcanist and see how that works out.

Yeah, he's legendary, but he's also very vulnerable to removal (particularly until I can get him some +1/+1 counters from Phalanx Leader) and is going to have a huge target on his head.

We'll see how he works out.

@metaghost that's an awesome offer and I'll certainly take you up on it. Just getting to sample how those fountains work in this deck will help me know if I want to invest in a playset for myself.

Devotion to Metal!

1005935_10100197425524534_1106035629_n.jpg

Every time I look at that image/photoshop, it takes me a second to realize that's his tail in the background and not a tentacle signaling the arrival of Kiora.

But really, Mogis' armor is hilarious.

No Cube.
    No flashback format.

DGR it is.

@metaghost That sick of Theros?

edited January 2014
    I was sick of Theros a month after its release.

EDIT: Drafted a pretty sweet one and defeated the fabled MagicPlayer92649102 in round one.

DGR+Returns.JPG

EDIT#2: And lost round two to fucking Riot Control of all cards. Ugh.

metaghost on
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Anyone here hitting GP Sacramento? I'd be down to play some of my awful EDH decks against folks on the forum after my inevitable 2-3 drop.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Anyone here hitting GP Sacramento? I'd be down to play some of my awful EDH decks against folks on the forum after my inevitable 2-3 drop.

I'm planning on going!

They are releasing a Modern format Event Deck:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1404

for $75. Taking bets now on whether it will be obtainable FOR $75, or if it will jump up to 100, 200, or more. I am deathly curious what's in it, I will confess. Shocks? Fetches? Tarmogoyf (HA! I know, I know).

This discussion has been closed.