As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, I think my onboard sound just died

In the middle of playing a game today, and my sound simply stopped working. I've tried everything I can think of so far. I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers. I've checked the my speakers work fine with another device. Tried plugging in headphones to see if those would work.

Perhaps a cheap PCI soundcard solution? The last soundcard I owned was in the 90's I think, so I have no idea where the quality is these days. Any recommendations would be welcome.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Try restoring your BIOS settings to default. Or flashing your BIOS to its most recent version.

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    I think it might be hardware related. I now keep getting pop-ups at the bottom right corner telling my that a device has been plugged into the audio jack, then a split second later another one saying that a device has been unplugged from the audio jack and then plugged in again, etc. I've checked all the connectors and everything is plugged in properly. Also getting occasional bouts of fuzzy feedback from the speakers that I've never gotten before.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    If it is actually dead, the ASUS Xonar series are pretty good apparently. There are also a wide range of good USB DACs available if you don't have the internal space.

• Options
    Unfortunately, my video card blocks off my pci-e x1 slots. A USB sound card might be how I have to go.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Don't be silly! Your motherboard dying is a perfect excuse to build a whole new pc!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Unfortunately, my video card blocks off my pci-e x1 slots. A USB sound card might be how I have to go.

Do you have regular PCI slots? You can try this $18 Audigy SE or an ASUS Xonar DS (usually $40-$50). Say what you will about Creative, but for $18, that card is way better than anything else in the price range.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I used to have the Audigy waayyy back in the day. Loved that little guy.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Metallikat wrote: »

Do you have regular PCI slots? You can try this $18 Audigy SE or an ASUS Xonar DS (usually $40-$50). Say what you will about Creative, but for $18, that card is way better than anything else in the price range.

Actually, I have a 3rd pci-e x16 slot (second one is unoccupied to keep from messing with the video card in the first slot). I never knew that x1 cards could go into x16 slots. I went with the Xonar DSX.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    cristicristi Registered User new member
    By any reason, did you use headphones from a mobile device such as mobile phone?

• Options
    I have the same problem and I think that some wrong connection was made on the 3.5 jack, and maybe inside something is not ok...

• Options
    I tried everything, bios, drivers, testing software...all perfect, no issues found but no results. The bitch is dead :)

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Sound card for you then, or whole new rig.