As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'M A TECHNICIAN!

• Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Artreus wrote: »
    I love Id and everything, I even just started playing Quakes 2 and 4 again.. (I only played quake 3 briefly, like it, but always had a terrible net connection at home). The thing is.. this does not feel like a quake game to me. I spent all day playing it. The different classes, unlockables for said classes, and vehicles are all cool... but it still feels more like battlefield than Quake.

Play it for more than five minutes.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    Well I suppose I need to buy a new computer.
    I wouldn't buy a new computer just for this game.

There are several things out now that I'm too slow for.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Hooray the demo has been downloaded... now alls I need is time to play.

futility on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I love Id and everything, I even just started playing Quakes 2 and 4 again.. (I only played quake 3 briefly, like it, but always had a terrible net connection at home). The thing is.. this does not feel like a quake game to me. I spent all day playing it. The different classes, unlockables for said classes, and vehicles are all cool... but it still feels more like battlefield than Quake.

You need to go to the Library Zone and grind your reading comprehension skill a few ranks, dogg.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'd say it feels more like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory than it does BF2. Imagine that!

It's picked up on a few things from BF2, but I always though BF2 was ultimately boring. It's king of the hill. That's it. Take and hold a few flags. At least in ET there's progressive objectives.

And as far as squads go, they do exist. They automatically form when players choose the same objectives from the list of missions to do. Also, the missions change as the game progresses. I enjoy the dynamics of ET a lot more than the static nature of BF2.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You need to go to the Library Zone and grind your reading comprehension skill a few ranks, dogg.

I don't believe he played this for more than five minutes dude.
    The "ololol battlefield" wears off pretty fucking quickly when you actually play it.
    Nova_C wrote: »

I'd say it feels more like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory than it does BF2. Imagine that!

It's picked up on a few things from BF2, but I always though BF2 was ultimately boring. It's king of the hill. That's it. Take and hold a few flags. At least in ET there's progressive objectives.

Exactly.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I will have to give this another shot I was in the beta but it played too poorly on my laptop and the sound was atrocious, interested to see if it runs any better this time. I am not at home so I dont have my desktop which could run it at the settings it was meant to be played at, either way I'll hop on later tonight see how it goes.

Aretè on
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oddly enough, it isnt as satisfying as ET:Wolfenstien. Its fun. But.... im just not getting it. The vehicles for the most part are useless. Too much crap thrown in that doesnt get used. Granted ive only played the one map. But just my impressions.

gazamc on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I haven't installed it at home yet. I tried it here at work and it did run but ho-lee shit son is it slow.

I ran around for a few minutes but couldn't really do anything. Got killed by a couple guys in tanks and some kind of jeep thing with a big machine gun. Oh, a mech too.

RTCW-ET was fuckin great, probably my favorite game ever ever. This one has the potential to be even better, I just hope they didn't water down the infantry combat too much or make it too vehicle-centric.

As for squads, if you have covert ops on your side it helps to join a squad because then they will have an icon over their head when they are disguised as the enemy - helps to keep from shooting them :) At least that's how it worked in RTCW-ET.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    gazamc wrote: »
    Oddly enough, it isnt as satisfying as ET:Wolfenstien. Its fun. But.... im just not getting it. The vehicles for the most part are useless. Too much crap thrown in that doesnt get used. Granted ive only played the one map. But just my impressions.

Vehicles are useless? I've seen armor turn the tide of a map. Vehicles are only useless when being used by a complete muppet. Hell, I find the quads to be great for keeping me mobile when I'm covert ops.

Not to mention the running the enemy over aspect. :D

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Be nice if they have indoor areas too. That's what I didn't like about Battlefield/2. Infantry combat sucked. They threw in that "Titan" mode which should have brought it back, but they forgot to code decent physics for walking on MOVING objects (oops). Yeah that was a total abortion.

jwalk on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jwalk wrote: »
    Be nice if they have indoor areas too. That's what I didn't like about Battlefield/2. Infantry combat sucked. They threw in that "Titan" mode which should have brought it back, but they forgot to code decent physics for walking on MOVING objects (oops). Yeah that was a total abortion.

I still play 2142, and the patches have fixed it up nicely. I usually only play Titan mode.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I only played demo I guess. They fixed the stupid sliding thing? That's good... I still think ET:QW is going to be way more my thing.

jwalk on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, there were some horrible glitches on the way. Like the support class could plant the sentry guns into the walls of the titan, shit like that. But QW seems a lot more varied and interesting, 2142 is pretty samey, two rounds of it and I'll be bored.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    gazamc wrote: »

Vehicles are useless? I've seen armor turn the tide of a map. Vehicles are only useless when being used by a complete muppet. Hell, I find the quads to be great for keeping me mobile when I'm covert ops.

Not to mention the running the enemy over aspect. :D

On the one map available now, that walker can hold a sucky GDF team off from the contaminator almost indefinitely, while the GDF's greatest strengths are the jets, because they can get you right behind said walker.
    It's the ATVs that suck (for anything other than running your team over during warm up).

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    the strogg hog is the deadliest vehicle

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I still have this installed with an account from when the Beta first started. It was pretty fun, but there was a total lack of teamplay and the vehicles weren't very effective. Also, some classes were pretty much useless in certain situations, so there was usually a pretty massive class imbalance.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    So, uh, anyone have a key? I tried fileplanet, but they are only available to paying members. :(

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    the strogg hog is the deadliest vehicle

I really like the jump pack.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wish I could play this, but it is like the one and only game that is for some reason blocked by the school firewall

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    So, uh, anyone have a key? I tried fileplanet, but they are only available to paying members. :(

Did you get the demo (www.enemyterritory.com)? Wouldn't the beta be over?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh, slick.

Doc on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was thoroughly unimpressed with the BG2142 demo. I'm hoping this is more of what I was looking for. Based solely off the fact that I loved ET, I think this will work out just fine.

anable on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Couldn't really run it.. even on the lowest difficulty :(

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just played the demo for a bit. Seems fun. I like deploying turrets. I'm not quite sure what the turrets do since mine never seem to fire, but they look cool.

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Couldn't really run it.. even on the lowest difficulty :(

Do you mean on the lowest settings? Or is your PC at war with the game?

anable on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh.. ya..

well..

the thing about that is..

FUCK YOU!

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    onboard video here

you know what that means

no quakewars for me :(

tugga on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tugga wrote: »
    onboard video here

you know what that means

no quakewars for me :(

hi5

This game is forcing me to get a new computer. I loved the first one so much.

:(

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Meister wrote: »
    I just played the demo for a bit. Seems fun. I like deploying turrets. I'm not quite sure what the turrets do since mine never seem to fire, but they look cool.

You've got to point them in the right direction, then they'll fire when someone gets close enough.
    Well placed turrets can win that contaminator map for the strogg.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    My work PC didn't like it much, it's a P4 2.8ghz, 512 ram, with a *erp* Geforce 5600. Hey it was ok for WoW when I played that...

It was more like Enemy Territory:Loading Wars actually... took easily 4-5 full minutes to load a level.

Should be fine at home, sporting a X2 4800+, 2gigs ram, 7900GT...

ET required a good amount of teamwork, I wouldn't expect much from the unwashed masses in a demo, but once the game comes out and you find a good server and spend some time with the regulars there, it should be fantastic.

jwalk on
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd like to play this

Also, I though the thread was about this

I'M AN ENGINEER

But no, its about technicians

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    that was the best part of ET

I'M AN ENGINEER!!
    I'M A COVERT OPS!
    I'M AN ENGINEER!!
    I'M A COVERT OPS!
    NEED A MEDIC!!!
    I'M A MEDIC!!

jwalk on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is pretty fun, but I have very little idea what is going on.

This has potential.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    jwalk wrote: »
    My work PC didn't like it much, it's a P4 2.8ghz, 512 ram, with a *erp* Geforce 5600. Hey it was ok for WoW when I played that...

It was more like Enemy Territory:Loading Wars actually... took easily 4-5 full minutes to load a level.

Should be fine at home, sporting a X2 4800+, 2gigs ram, 7900GT...

ET required a good amount of teamwork, I wouldn't expect much from the unwashed masses in a demo, but once the game comes out and you find a good server and spend some time with the regulars there, it should be fantastic.

Before the public release I actually had a decent server bookmarked, which always seemed to have the same 10 guys on it and we were fairly idiot free. It really helps make the game more enjoyable.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We should get a game going some time soon.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What's the deal with horrible performance? I have the following:

GeForce 8800GTS, 360 megs
    2 GB RAM
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6600

I am getting horrible framerates, even at low res with "normal" textures.

Doc on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    you have reflections and shadows on?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    What's the deal with horrible performance? I have the following:

GeForce 8800GTS, 360 megs
    2 GB RAM
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6600

I am getting horrible framerates, even at low res with "normal" textures.

Search around on the interwebs, I recall hearing about people who should be able to run it well having problems, maybe there's some bug.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Disabled my second monitor and performance improved tenfold.

Weird.

Doc on