As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Young Justice was Better Thread

• RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm just going to outright say it. For some reason, DC cannot seem to get minority characters to work. It always comes off as tokenism. "HEY. Check out Blue Beetle/Batwoman. They're Hispanic/Lesbians". I have no idea why this is. Probably something to do with their advertising department. Marvel seem to pull it off quite nicely. Blade, Cage (in recent years and barring that godawful MAX series), Xavin, Victor(ious) and Eli all work great.

EDIT: Re-reading this post feels like I'm bashing DC. I'm not. I love DC (for the most part), but this is one of their faults.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well, Blade and Cage were old characters who were brought to the forefront and given greater respect. I think what DC does comes off as tokenism because they're creating new minority characters, so there's always the question of whether or not these characters exist for any reason beyond diversity.

Xavin, Victor, and Eli are relatively new as well, but they're farther away from the mainstream than Cage and the new Blue Beetle so you can't say they're there just to make the company look better (no marketing whatevers to hype the characters up).

But anyway, I don't think this particular instance counts as tokenism. A minority wants to create a minority character? What's wrong with that? You don't think Stan Lee would've made Spider-Man black if he himself had been black?

robosagogo on
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Furu wrote:
    So, getting back to Titans East.

Except for Cassie (who I still have my doubts about, but I expect Johns to at least explain what happened) it looks pretty awesome. Great to see Inertia and Match back.

EDIT: Also, more on the Teen Titans fill-in characters and which of them we'll be seeing soon: http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/titans/TonyDaniel/Daniel.html

"I wanted a Hispanic character on the Titans East. I'm Irish and Puerto Rican. There's not enough minorities in comics, so that was my one request."

fuck you dude

What's the problem?
    He wants an irish puerto rican super hero
    a breakdancing leprechaun probably

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I disagree with you regarding Blue Beetle. I don't think that his race is being crammed down anyone's throat. He lives in an area that has a lot of Mexicans, so *gasp* there are Mexicans in the book. The second I see Jaime behaving like a Mencia skit, I'll agree with you, no problem.

And we haven't seen enough of Batwoman yet for us to know anything about how she's portrayed.

And, wow, same thing with Atom. I just hate how he's always all ching-chong, wing-wong. And always doing math.

Conditional_Axe on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Well, Blade and Cage were old characters who were brought to the forefront and given greater respect. I think what DC does comes off as tokenism because they're creating new minority characters, so there's always the question of whether or not these characters exist for any reason beyond diversity.

Xavin, Victor, and Eli are relatively new as well, but they're farther away from the mainstream than Cage and the new Blue Beetle so you can't say they're there just to make the company look better (no marketing whatevers to hype the characters up).

But anyway, I don't think this particular instance counts as tokenism. A minority wants to create a minority character? What's wrong with that? You don't think Stan Lee would've made Spider-Man black if he himself had been black?

I think the media attention makes a lot of difference. There's gay characters in both new Marvel teen books, but it seems pretty natural. But Batwoman's a lesbian and they write about it in the frigging newspapers, and no one even gives a shit about Batwoman.

Scooter on
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

I think the media attention makes a lot of difference. There's gay characters in both new Marvel teen books, but it seems pretty natural. But Batwoman's a lesbian and they write about it in the frigging newspapers, and no one even gives a shit about Batwoman.
    That's because Marvel got burned the last time it promoted the hell out of a gay character. So now they're quietly diverse. DC, on the other hand, is trying to out famewhore Marvel, who have become a bit of a media darling of late, and so are making a big deal out of things that might not deserve that kind of attention, like Batwoman's preference for the box lunch. And look at it. The PR is damaging the characters now, because people who haven't read her at all are demonizing her as a token.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited September 2006
    Who's the gay Marvel character you're talking about? Northstar?

robosagogo on
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Rawhide Kid.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Rawhide Kid.
    Oh yeah! God, I'd blocked that out.

robosagogo on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    And, wow, same thing with Atom. I just hate how he's always all ching-chong, wing-wong. And always doing math.

Hmm, I didn't really feel that vibe. From what I've gathered, he's lived in China for a time before moving to the United States, working his way through college and getting a professorship. Moments like the Chinese food scene were pretty honest and amusing. I had quite a few native Chinese and Korean friends in college and they'd always poke fun at the Americanized chinese food we'd scarf down during study sessions and junk.

Terrorbyte on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I disagree with you regarding Blue Beetle. I don't think that his race is being crammed down anyone's throat. He lives in an area that has a lot of Mexicans, so *gasp* there are Mexicans in the book. The second I see Jaime behaving like a Mencia skit, I'll agree with you, no problem.

And we haven't seen enough of Batwoman yet for us to know anything about how she's portrayed.

Yeah. If you go to/read any panels at any of the cons where this issue was discussed, all the writers are very careful about avoiding tokenism.

i think it comes off as tokenism in the way they're advertised, but not the way the actual characters are written in the story.

I'm not sure about the new Atom yet. I want to like him, but they aren't giving me anything to like. Or dislike.

Lux on
  • RetconRetcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I like all the new teen superheroes introduced in the pictures. Alot of them seem like they could be really cool. Talon vs Robin would/will no doubt kick ass. Also its kinda cool that there inserting characters created for the show into the comic. Mas y Menos could be really cool now that they're not midget kids. Molecule could be kinda cool, even though Atom did his thing on the Teen Titans a few years ago.

Retcon on
    Screw you guys. I'm going home !
    edited September 2006
    Retcon wrote:
    I like all the new teen superheroes introduced in the pictures. Alot of them seem like they could be really cool. Talon vs Robin would/will no doubt kick ass. Also its kinda cool that there inserting characters created for the show into the comic. Mas y Menos could be really cool now that they're not midget kids. Molecule could be kinda cool, even though Atom did his thing on the Teen Titans a few years ago.
    I don't know. I think I'll get an incest vibe from two brothers who run around holding hands now that they're post-adolescent.

robosagogo on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Retcon wrote:
    Mas y Menos could be really cool now that they're not midget kids.

They wanted to have Mas Y Menos as they were in the cartoon, but it was just a bit too creepy having two young toddlers drawn running around in skin tight white costumes.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • RetconRetcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I dont think they were touching in the picture. Maybe they got better control of their powers or somehting. Maybe they just have to be near eachother or something.

Retcon on
    Screw you guys. I'm going home !
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, they're just near each other in the picture.

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Retcon wrote:
    Mas y Menos could be really cool now that they're not midget kids.

They wanted to have Mas Y Menos as they were in the cartoon, but it was just a bit too creepy having two young toddlers drawn running around in skin tight white costumes.
    :winky: :winky: :winky:

Rociel on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So I managed to to see a commercial for the Teen Titans movie coming out this Friday on CN...

...aaaaaaannnnd that's not the correct voice coming out of Cyborg's mouth.

Owenashi on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Khary Payton (Cyborg's usual voice actor) is listed as doing his voice for the movie on IMDB.

They have the "trailer" for it here:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0816671/trailers

DMAC on
    edited September 2006
    This movie can go take a running jump for all I care. Bring on "Judas Contract" (hopefully without the faggy version of the Nightwing costume).

Rociel on
    edited September 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    This movie can go take a running jump for all I care. Bring on "Judas Contract" (hopefully without the faggy version of the Nightwing costume).

Faggy? Disco is coming back bitches..

and its name is Nightwing.

Bad Karma on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So, anyone catching Trouble In Tokyo? Been pretty good so far.

Owenashi on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Are those the Wonder Twins?

Fencingsax on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    52 - Looks like both Little Barda and Power Boy are from Apokilips

Teen Titans #39 - Zatarra is a dick

Garlic Bread on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That last page of #39 was total nightmare fuel.

[spoiler:db95930906]She was too cute to be true, I knew it.[/spoiler:db95930906]

Furu on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Furu wrote:

[spoiler:ff60cebb86]She was too cute to be true, I knew it.[/spoiler:ff60cebb86]

[spoiler:ff60cebb86]It's a trick. She's a white martian, but she'll totally be a hero anyway. She's the new Drizzt Do'Urden.[/spoiler:ff60cebb86]

Mai-Kero on
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Furu wrote:

[spoiler:f30a06ab17]She was too cute to be true, I knew it.[/spoiler:f30a06ab17]

[spoiler:f30a06ab17]It's a trick. She's a white martian, but she'll totally be a hero anyway. She's the new Drizzt Do'Urden.[/spoiler:f30a06ab17]

I had to google that

you are a fucking nerd

Garlic Bread on
  • TankTank Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I just saw an episode of Legion of Super Heroes on Kids WB. Seems like an okay show, but I'm gonna have to see a few more episodes before I pass judgement on it.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Furu wrote:

[spoiler:ff8eb96752]She was too cute to be true, I knew it.[/spoiler:ff8eb96752]

[spoiler:ff8eb96752]It's a trick. She's a white martian, but she'll totally be a hero anyway. She's the new Drizzt Do'Urden.[/spoiler:ff8eb96752]

I had to google that

you are a fucking nerd

I know the DnD stats of his weapons.

Fuck.

Mai-Kero on
    edited September 2006
    There is no way that Miss Martian is the traitor, after having read #39. She's way too awesome, first of all. Second of all, she's the one who discovered who the traitor was. If the traitor had been her, that wouldn't have happened.

I'm thinking it's Bombshell. It looked like Raven was taken in by a military unit at the end of #38, and they were speaking English. Also, Bombshell was really proactive about trying to make everyone suspicious of Ravager.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited September 2006
    There is no way that Miss Martian is the traitor, after having read #39. She's way too awesome, first of all. Second of all, she's the one who discovered who the traitor was. If the traitor had been her, that wouldn't have happened.

I'm thinking it's Bombshell. It looked like Raven was taken in by a military unit at the end of #38, and they were speaking English. Also, Bombshell was really proactive about trying to make everyone suspicious of Ravager.

First thing I thought of after reading that page. She was all too helpful at pointing a finger at the "obvious" traitor.

Bad Karma on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hmm. Did anyone notice that on the panel where Miss Martian is hearing peoples thoughts
    [spoiler:5e1c46ca0c] Theres a line where someone goes "Aunt Kathy is in Gotham? I wonder if Nightwing has a girlfriend yet?"
    I think that's Bette Kane, Flambird. And that would mean that they they are doing the whole Batwomen/Batgirl silver age thing. It really doesn't have any point, but I thought it was neat.[/spoiler:5e1c46ca0c]

Bloods End on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:

First thing I thought of after reading that page. She was all too helpful at pointing a finger at the "obvious" traitor.

Great... I can't wait to hear how much Ravager complains now after being labeled a traitor. And about Ms. Martian, there's no way DC would let a commodity that hot (pardon the pun) be a bad guy. I think we'll be seeing a lot of her in the future. Or at least more of her.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited September 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Hmm. Did anyone notice that on the panel where Miss Martian is hearing peoples thoughts
    [spoiler:bfa17dd2dd] Theres a line where someone goes "Aunt Kathy is in Gotham? I wonder if Nightwing has a girlfriend yet?"
    I think that's Bette Kane, Flambird. And that would mean that they they are doing the whole Batwomen/Batgirl silver age thing. It really doesn't have any point, but I thought it was neat.[/spoiler:bfa17dd2dd]

[spoiler:bfa17dd2dd]It's not necessarily a Batwoman / batgirl thing. She is Flamebird in current continuity, and was with the Teen Titans during 52.[/spoiler:bfa17dd2dd]

Bad Karma on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    [spoiler:04fb6264d9] Theres a line where someone goes "Aunt Kathy is in Gotham? I wonder if Nightwing has a girlfriend yet?"
    I think that's Bette Kane, Flambird. And that would mean that they they are doing the whole Batwomen/Batgirl silver age thing. It really doesn't have any point, but I thought it was neat.[/spoiler:04fb6264d9]

[spoiler:04fb6264d9]It's not necessarily a Batwoman / batgirl thing. She is Flamebird in current continuity, and was with the Teen Titans during 52.[/spoiler:04fb6264d9]

I know that, I just meant that they're going to be related like in the silver age, instead of two different characters.

Bloods End on
    edited September 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    And about Ms. Martian, there's no way DC would let a commodity that hot (pardon the pun) be a bad guy. I think we'll be seeing a lot of her in the future. Or at least more of her.

She's a green skinned Sailor Moon.

:^: :^: :^:

Bad Karma on
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    And about Ms. Martian, there's no way DC would let a commodity that hot (pardon the pun) be a bad guy. I think we'll be seeing a lot of her in the future. Or at least more of her.

best teen titan ever.

She'll be looking cute all the time, and then a battle goes badly and they're about to lose and WHAM she's a white martian and slaughters everything.

This will happen at least twice per year.

Mai-Kero on
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

best teen titan ever.

She'll be looking cute all the time, and then a battle goes badly and they're about to lose and WHAM she's a white martian and slaughters everything.

This will happen at least twice per year.

Just like Species! Remember that flick?

Bad Karma on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm relieved that the initial reaction to at least some of these "sidekick" heroes is positive. Seriously though, Zatarra.

What a douche. Plus, in love with Eddie.

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2006
    Wait, no! EDDIE!!! EDDDIIEEEEE!!!

he's going to show up at the Titans Tower, it'll be pouring outside, and Kid Devil's gonna open the door

Garlic Bread on