As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elder Scrolls Online] Game is LIVE!

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited March 2014 in MMO Extravaganza
ElderScrollsOnline_FeaturedImage.jpg

Elder Scrolls Online is the first venture of Bethesda' and Zenimax' foray into the MMORPG genre. Elder Scrolls is a popular first/third person sandbox RPG which has recently had their Fifth version named Skyrim.

Elder Scrolls Online will feature three different factions that that you can choose to join: The Daggerfall Covenant, Ebonheart Pact, Alderie Dominion. There will be one generic race that can be any faction you want, but it's being included in the collector's edition only.
There are three different races per faction and each bring their own perks that pair well with one of certain class, all based on the original works of Bethesda Soft.

gaming-elder-scrolls-online-screenshot-07.jpg

There are 4 different classes:
Dragon Knight - your melee class.
Nightblade - Stealth/bow class.
Sorcerer - Pure dps magic class.
Templar - Your healing class.

Each level allows players to increase one of three different attributes, health, stamina, and mana. Skills in Scrolls Online, are varied and can be concentrated on one aspect of your character, or you can spend them evenly depending on what type of character you want to create. Skills can be learned through different ways, such as skill stones, randomly placed stones that reward adventuring. Some quests reward skill points just for completing them. Different skills can do different things, and multiple classes can learn some skills that other classes learn

Each skill that is native to your class can level up through branches, these branches are call 'Morphs". Each level defines what your character can do, and how you can use your individual skills.

Skills are gained as you level up, or find crystals throughout the land of your native faction.

[PVP] is going to be centered around 8 man small groups and giant keep sieges with siege equipment. End game sieges will be fought between all three factions and will fight for control of the Imperial city . If your alliance captures
Imperial City the top alliance(faction) player becomes Emperor and that player gains access to a special skills that are very powerful.

PVP in this game are mainly made for massive battles and are usually joined when you hit level 10 and up. Siege weapons, keeps, supply routes, and small man battles are also part of PVP. Players can be teleported to castles under siege for free from one of the non active keeps. Keep battles and PVP in general are a struggle between all three factions.

The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-PvE-2.jpg

Like the original games, ESO will have a large amount of customization through skills, an epic story, and gear. Also true to the Series: landmarks, villages, housing will remind hardcore fans of one of their favorite Elder Scrolls single player RPG.
You can become a werewolf, a Vampire, and join factions such as the fighter's guild, or the mage's guild. Players also earn skills they can invest in when they complete quests.

Quests and way-points are easy to locate on the top of the UI where there is a compass like other Elder Scrolls game, showing the nearby places of interest. Traveling is done by finding shrines and for a fee, you can travel back and forth through these shrines like fast travel in previous Elder scrolls game. You will also be placed at the nearest shrine if you happen to die while questing. Afraid of dying near a place without the nearest shrine discovered? You are automatically sent to the nearest shrine whether you have found the shrine or not.

Soul traps also work as an easy way to resurrect. There is a skill that allows you to trap trap an enemy soul in a soul gem, allowing you to resurrect where you died and not have to travel from the nearest shrine way-point.

The-Elder-Scrolls-Online.jpg

4/4/14 for PC, 7/30/14 for PS4 and Xbox One

oHw5R0V.jpg
Echo on

• JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    One of the biggest sources of info on the game is ZOS's ask us anything posts:

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en-uk/news/category/ask-us-anything

You can generally figure out what things you know about the game are public knowledge/revealed from those answers.

Also, for the weekend, do we want to stick with Cliffracer Preservation Society? A guild isn't necessary for a short beta weekend, but it can be a useful chat channel for questions and answers.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Can we still make fun of the game in this thread?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    i gave my key away. :p
    I look forward to this betas impressions tho'

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    bowen wrote: »

You're allowed one making-fun post for every unopened chest in the game world you find!

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Joiry wrote: »

You're allowed one making-fun post for every unopened chest in the game world you find!

You don't have to be a goose about it. You can just say "no". :)

Because I was obviously not making fun of the game.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Downloading the client now. Should be able to start playing a little after it goes live tomorrow.

We'll see how long this lasts.

488W936.png
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Downloading the client now. Should be able to start playing a little after it goes live tomorrow.

We'll see how long this lasts.

So you are basically going into this with the expectation it will suck?
    Is your goal just to pick apart anything wrong you find?

Not that this stuff is bad, we all look for different things in MMOs. Just seems like a "why bother" type thing.

I'm not trying to white knight the game either, I've had so little time in the beta myself, so I dunno WTF to think of it still. But I don't plan on just looking for "why it sucks" this weekend.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Hopefully they made it better.

Not enough for me to redownload the client and try again even though this is like the 5th beta I've been invited too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I go into this knowing lots of people I know and trust have played it and think it sucks/would have been better off as purely 3 way PvP or multiplayer Skyrim.

I reserve judgement until I've played it some. And even then MMOs are hard to judge definitively on such a low time frame of only a weekend.

488W936.png
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Ya, I wish they would just do a "max level, go PVP" beta.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Oh hey another beta weekend.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Ya, I wish they would just do a "max level, go play" game. go PVP" beta.

FTFY.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Ya, I wish they would just do a "max level, go play" game. go PVP" beta.

FTFY.

Can't we have both? :)

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Joiry wrote: »

You don't have to be a goose about it. You can just say "no". :)

So if I would have been in one of the betas, and the amount of unopened chests I had discovered was not strictly covered by the NDA, then this post would be my one per the aforementioned rules.

Haven't decided if I am downloading yet. I deleted the previous materials after that weekend run.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Oh hey another beta weekend.

Seems this isn't the first one (based on their website) and I have yet to receive a single email about it despite actually opting in for updates.

I have the original "Thanks for signing up for the beta!" email, and nothing further.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    There's a followup to the forbes article here on MMORPG.com .

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2014
    I really don't like the combative tone this thread has started with.

It's fine to criticize the game, and threads do not serve as bubbles of gushing praise, but learn to coexist with each other.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I know this is unlikely to pay off, but if anyone is willing to bend the rules and lend me a key for the weekend, I'm intrigued by the Alliance-vs-Alliance aspect of this game and would like to try out said feature set. (I've been signed up for beta since June.)

26904.png
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    I'll be checking it out again, looking specifically to see if they fixed anything that bugged me last time. If they have, my hopes for this game may return. If not, oh well, the Landmark alpha is next month!

Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I really don't like the combative tone this thread has started with.

It's fine to criticize the game, and threads do not serve as bubbles of gushing praise, but learn to coexist with each other.

Well the combat does feel worse than normal TES games.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Yeah this is my 2nd beta invite. The first beta invite I got about 20 minutes into the game, realized I was bored already with the combat, and quit.

Unfortunately, mods won't be able to save this one.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Yeah this is my 2nd beta invite. The first beta invite I got about 20 minutes into the game, realized I was bored already with the combat, and quit.

Unfortunately, mods won't be able to save this one.

Any MMO judged within the first 20 minutes is bound to have bad combat.

I've heard of many people playing the first five minutes of the WoW trial and quit because they though it wasn't fun.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The first 20 minutes of any MMO feature your toon in a rusty chainmail loincloth, armed with a broken stick and fighting a sick coyote. BORDERLANDS 2 turns this into a joke when you pick up your first gun-- "About two weeks from now, when you're fighting skyscraper-sized robots with a machine gun that shoots lightning, you're going to look back at this moment and go, 'Heh' ".

edited January 2014
    However bad/good you felt the previous beta is, how much its improved in a month is the most important thing this beta will show. Given release is under 3 months away, it'll be some indication if the game launches in a playable state (I mean in a technical sense, not that you find the game mechanics interesting).

Joiry on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

I suspect that is why they are keeping the beta pool (relatively) small, rather than the "let everyone and their cousin" open betas that other games see. Players that come as tourists and end up not being completely entranced by what they see in the first few seconds may be lost as potential customers, so the smart money - especially with an established IP like Elder Scrolls - is to keep the hype level high, only allow the bare minimum needed to adequately test, and then hope for a lot of launch day sales.

26904.png
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    How do we go about getting a guild invite ?

I got an invite, and am ready to go.

I won't be on until Sat, though, as I'm in the uk.

Are guilds server specific ?

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Of course, that's not really working either. Granted it breaks NDA, but there's been *plenty* of extremely negative discussion of the game and I continue to be amazed they aren't really doing much to shut it down (namely by saying "Here's some awesome shit you haven't seen yet").

• dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    I guess I'm testing this weekend? I haven't followed this game at all though, so ill have frrsh eyes

steam_sig.png
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    How do we go about getting a guild invite ?

I got an invite, and am ready to go.

I won't be on until Sat, though, as I'm in the uk.

Are guilds server specific ?

There are no servers, there's just the "mega-server" which divides up players into instances of zones (which act as temporary servers). It tries to put you in instances with guild members/friends, but you are supposed to be able to switch over to other instances of a zone.

The previous beta, someone made Cliffracer Preservation Society [CPS] as our guild, in honor of the previous thread title. I'd guess its wiped.

In the interest of organization, I'll poke the NDA a bit. Whoever wants can make the guild, you'll just need to post you character name here (pretty sure its not against the NDA to just say, hmmm, I usually use "Bob the Nice Guy" as a name) so people know who to send an in game mail to request an invite. This may have changed, but you could only promote someone to the rank just below you. So only the GM and Officers can invite, but an Officer can't promote a member to officer. Probably best to make sure as many people are officers for a beta weekend to have coverage to invite PAers.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I think the "no server" approach is definitely the way to go. There's still some need to build identity in the player communities, but the old days of being forced to reroll/transfer whenever you make a new group of friends needs to go away.

So I'm glad they're taking that approach here.

What is this I don't even.
    Yeah probably one of the better design decisions that's come out of the MMO Scene lately.

Didn't Mythic pioneer that idea and WoW and everyone else are taking it and running?

WoW has kinda ignored it. People are still shelling out $25 a pop to transfer.

Well, I think the idea of community is supposed to come from grouping similar players in zone instances, both through your guild and friend associations, in addition to a supposed playstyle survey that's supposed to help place similar player types in the same instances.

That may or may not work out. I think the RvR campaigns will probably create a more long lasting community. Well, at least for the length of the campaign, you are in theory fighting with the same group of allies.

Well they are merging servers now. And you can group up with people on other servers if you're RealID friends.

Server transfer is if you want to be in a guild I guess and your servers aren't merged. I fully expect them to merge everyone eventually, or at least, data center wise.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/01/10/beta-update

So, yeah, if you weren't already expecting it, the friday night rush of logins will not be the best of play experiences, but rather full on load/stress testing.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I will sit back here and watch you guys with envy.

Between the game itself and dealing with crashing servers and log in issues, I don't think you'll be missing much.

• Mostly HarmlessMostly Harmless Registered User regular
    Server is up, for the record. And it's running smooth as silk at present.

This discussion has been closed.