As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nfl] Gameday talk, Fantasy Football chats, and Photoshop masterpieces.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Because the belief is that an athletic player might possibly be able to fit in a different position.

The point is that belief is idiotic goosery. The days of Jim Thorpe dominating all of sport through innate talent are long past, and people are pretty much in agreement that Jackson and Sanders will be the last professional two-sport athletes. Especially at the elite level, it's just as much (if not moreso) about a trained skillset as it is about athletic ability.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Russel Wilson is in the rangers farm system still!

God knows if he was a mariner he could play.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I can't even begin to speculate why ESPN was all over his jock.

Was?

Yes, was. Because fuck ESPN.

Give me NASCAR coverage and then shut the fuck up, Bristol!

No, it doesn't surprise me they still hype the little waffle. Especially not now that they pay him money for the excuse. But the question still remains, why did ESPN start this nonsense when they singularly fail to do it for every other college athlete?

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    The era of athletes switching positions or sports is OVER

other than the dozen plus who have done it in the past 5 years including several all pros

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I also forgot about josh cribbs

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Dudes switch from QB to WR (and vice versa!) all the time.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Because the belief is that an athletic player might possibly be able to fit in a different position.

The point is that belief is idiotic goosery. The days of Jim Thorpe dominating all of sport through innate talent are long past, and people are pretty much in agreement that Jackson and Sanders will be the last professional two-sport athletes. Especially at the elite level, it's just as much (if not moreso) about a trained skillset as it is about athletic ability.

Nobody said 'dominate'. Or anything about two-sport athlete.

It was asked why and the answer is because people will believe that a very athletic player might be successful at another position. Or even merely passable. Tebow had reasonable success running the ball in college and some thought that he might find success in a dedicated Wildcat formation or perhaps placing him as a short yardage recieving tight end.

Don't act like a goose just because it was considered or suggested. It's not idiotic for a professional sports team to think about switching positions for a player in order to gain some value from them. It happens quite often in other sports. It just happens to be very difficult to pull off, at the professional level, in American football.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I think that Tebow would make an excellent fullback, or maybe attacking midfielder.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I think tebow would be a masterful bowler if he works on his flicker ball. He's already got a fantastic googly

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    No, it doesn't surprise me they still hype the little waffle. Especially not now that they pay him money for the excuse. But the question still remains, why did ESPN start this nonsense when they singularly fail to do it for every other college athlete?

And I told you: ratings. How does that not answer the question? Do you think ESPN would have continued to talk about Tebow if the fans had stopped tuning in and clicking on the links?

He was an incredibly divisive player. Fans usually love him or hate him, but they almost always have an opinion one way or another (notice how much we're talking about him right now). It started as an interesting story about a kid who was actually a good college football player and you could do some nice human interest stories about his off-field work. Heisman trophy winner who voluntarily goes to prisons to preach the gospel? That sells newspapers to old people. Then CBS took it to extreme depths of hyperbole ("Spending 15 minutes with Tim Tebow makes you a better person") and the media spiraled into a Tebow feedback loop.

The whole time, we all tuned in. And ESPN took note of that.

edited January 2014
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I think that Tebow would make an excellent fullback, or maybe attacking midfielder.

Pfft. Like that will happen.
    I will remain in relentless pursuit of continuing my lifelong dream of being a MLS goalie.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular

Drew Brees gonna throw 6 interceptions tomorrow.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know that WSJ had a sports section.

And its supposed to be possibly 40mph winds, but knowing seattle area weather forecasting, sunny and clear.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I can't wait for the Seahawks to lose tomorrow, your egos are greater than that of the Hawks when they played the Ducks in the championship game.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    tebow would have been either a short/slow receiving tight end or an undersized blocking tight end, and would have had to learn the position basically from scratch. So you can either deal with TEBOW while hoping he learns and you get a replacement level TE out of it, or just draft a guy in the fifth or sixth round who already plays TE and who you think might be moderately successful.

he was really good in college and (more importantly) is super-telegenic, and he actually did have some success when he got a legit chance to be an NFL starter for an extended period. It's not as though he's been entirely hot air the whole time he's been a public figure.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I can't wait for the Seahawks to lose tomorrow, your egos are greater than that of the Hawks when they played the Ducks in the championship game.

you're not even a has-been, pete carroll

you're a never-was

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    You do realize the coach who said that to Emilio went on to lose that game right podly? DUCKS FLY TOGETHER!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Nice to see Derrick Coleman getting a little love

http://youtu.be/u2HD57z4F8E

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    i know that i reversed that line but HOLY SHIT i was just watching clips from mighty ducks and pete carroll is TOTALLY the coach from the hawks

down to the gum-smacking maw

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    I wish I could tell you that the Saints fought the good fight, and the Seahawks let them win. I wish I could tell you that - but the Clink is no fairy-tale world.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Already writing off the panthers? PETER KING!

It will be WEIRD and INTERESTING if they win.

Last year, Fanduel had a promotion called the Peter King Challenge. Basically, one free game a week, and Peter King was one of the contestants you were up against. In pools of something like 2500 people, I can't say as I recall seeing Peter King placing better than 1000 or so. So, he was better at knowing football than the average person, sure. But 3 people out of 10 still know more about how people were going to play on Sunday than Sports Illustrated's lead football writer.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Carolina better win or all the shit talking I've been doing at work about my perfect survival streak is going to bite me in the ass.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    JRosey wrote: »
    Carolina better win or all the shit talking I've been doing at work about my perfect survival streak is going to bite me in the ass.

See that little red dot? That's karma.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So Nick Kroll from The League did an AMA today and this was his response to a question about meeting athletes:
    i met rg3 before his rookie season and was really impressed by him, thought he was really smart and funny. jj watt was on the show this season and i thought he was really impressive. ryan fitzpatrick is known for being smart and was. chad ochocinco had 4 different cell phones when he did the show

1 for phone, 1 for twitter, 1 for email and 1 for terrell owens

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    gundam470 wrote: »
    So Nick Kroll from The League did an AMA today and this was his response to a question about meeting athletes:
    i met rg3 before his rookie season and was really impressed by him, thought he was really smart and funny. jj watt was on the show this season and i thought he was really impressive. ryan fitzpatrick is known for being smart and was. chad ochocinco had 4 different cell phones when he did the show

1 for phone, 1 for twitter, 1 for email and 1 for terrell owens

That sig pic works really well with this post...

• r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I can't explain why Tebow-mania was so popular. They made up a story just to make up a story. But no one actually cared. It's a bit like in politics: who actually supports no term limits for Congress? Yet we're all subjected to it for some reason.

r4dr3z on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Lots of people, because that's a shitty idea. Would encourage even more lobbyist control of the government.

And Tebow mania was popular because dude is a conservative hyper-Christian and there is a sizable audience for that in this country.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Apparently spikes was paced on IR because he was late to a buy week meeting due to a snowstorm.

The Patriot Way!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited January 2014
    Podly wrote: »
    Apparently spikes was paced on IR because he was late to a buy week meeting due to a snowstorm.

The Patriot Way!

looks like he was on his way out anyway - FA, lots of prior difficulties with coaching staff and stuff, and at least they agreed to IR instead of release so he couldn't get picked up by another team

but uh, dangit belichick

dangit

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    My money is on Carolina. I still think our OL isn't good enough to win it all, but my guess is we lose against Carolina/SF. I don't think The Saints defense is good enough up front to make that an issue, and their offense is designed to go against our greatest team strength, on a day with terrible conditions for it.

Of course that means losing today is the kind of gut punch I've come to expect from the Seahawks.

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

The Patriot Way!

The Herald disagrees!
    A source today called a report that Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes was placed on injured reserve on Monday due to him being late to a meeting "absolutely untrue and unfounded."

On the other hand...
    Last offseason, it was reported that Aqib Talib's work ethic was in question by the team, just as free agency was set to open. This went against everything the Herald learned about Talib, both during his final year with the Bucs and his initial round with the Patriots. He was then named an offseason award winner for his work ethic and attitude during that run of camps. The leak might have been a way to diminish Talib's interest in free agency.

Spikes, of course, is set to be a free agent for the first time in his career. It will be one of the hottest debates of the team's offseason.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Apparently Jimmy Graham is starting shit with Irvin before kickoff. Ripped off Irvins hat and had to be restrained and moved to the other side of the field.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Apparently Jimmy Graham is starting shit with Irvin before kickoff. Ripped off Irvins hat and had to be restrained and moved to the other side of the field.

NFL Network's got some brouhaha between Sherman and Graham on the field right now. I dunno whaaat...

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    He mad, bro.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Noooo don't get Bountied Sherman.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    oh dat punt

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    That was probably a record punt for having been hit in the groin by the snap.

Edit: Okay, the Saints have clearly bountied Percy Harvin. Can you call TWO fouls on the same play? DPI and Unnecessary Roughness?

hippofant on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Preacher goddammit