As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Learning Thread

14567810»

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I take my showers in the mornings, mostly to wrangle my post sleep hair into a good look.

• Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    I've done a few game jams and gave a little tutorial before a jam to get people up to speed and ready to jam... Would you guys be interested in a short Here's How To Use Unity3D To Make a Game in a Weekend???

DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Not sure how it is in other parts of the country but here in South Carolina the word cousin is tossed around a lot. So what exactly is a cousin? Well in short a cousin is someone related to you by something other then direct descent. So here is an easy list to follow. This is not comprehensive but works for day to day life I find.

First cousin: Aunt and Uncle's kids. Two people with the same grandparents.

Second cousins: The children of two first cousins are second cousins. Two people with the same great grandparents.

Numbered cousins continue from there. Now here comes a slightly trickier bit.

First cousins once removed: Your first cousins kids. Your second cousins parents. Again your common ancestor is your grandparents but their great grandparents (or the reverse).

First cousins twice removed: Your grandparents, their great great grandparents or the reverse.

This pattern continues in the same way for second and third cousins as well. Now why does this matter? Two reasons: consanguinity and inheritance. Back in the day royalty kept track of this in order to keep the poor in there place. Now we track it so you do not accidentally breed with a close relative and so people know who to leave their crap to when they die. Now roughly speaking it is not really considered incest as long a you are at least second cousins, although this can vary by location. This is because of the way sexual recombination works in humans. The percentage of alleles you have in common with a relative is roughly 1/(2^n) where n is the number of reproductive events between two people. So you are roughly fifty percent identical to your parents and siblings. Twenty five between you and your grandparents and aunts and uncles. So why are second cousins the cutoff? Well there are limits to how much the genes we all have can be scrambled around due to sexual recombination. So the genetic difference between you and any other human on the planet is actually pretty small. And second cousins share so little in common genetically that breeding at that level will not greatly increase the odds of your children suffering genetic defects/disorders.

Tl;dr Cousins are actually pretty simple to figure out most of the time. And if you want to bone one make sure they are at least a second cousin.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Oooof Im sorry to hear you're learning that the hard way valhalla, I learnt about that in high school

I believe it's due to the XX chromosome structure that allows it to act as a carrier of sorts for a host of things, while the Y chromosome prevents the ability to carry something like a disease or infection without outward symptoms showing.

The chromosome thing is true for some genetic disorders, but not for transmitted diseases. There are also STDs that can show no symptoms in men, but be devastating to women.

Calica on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Oooof Im sorry to hear you're learning that the hard way valhalla, I learnt about that in high school

I believe it's due to the XX chromosome structure that allows it to act as a carrier of sorts for a host of things, while the Y chromosome prevents the ability to carry something like a disease or infection without outward symptoms showing.

The chromosome thing is true for some genetic disorders, but not for transmitted diseases. There are also STDs that can show no symptoms in men, but be devastating to women.

Huh! Well I'll be damned, that's what I get for paraphrasing old high school biology lessons. Good to know!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    DID YOU KNOW

A jack russel terrier is made of matter that is so dense that were it not contained within the terrier, would fall through the earth?

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    SoaL wrote: »
    I've done a few game jams and gave a little tutorial before a jam to get people up to speed and ready to jam... Would you guys be interested in a short Here's How To Use Unity3D To Make a Game in a Weekend???

I am learning to use Unity at the moment so this would be a cool thing.

broken image link
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    DID YOU KNOW

If you jump on a turtle, it won't turn into a coin and also you're a pretty mean person

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hi guys what will be a good place to get started on 3d modeling stuff

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I've decided that I need to deal with this and get it out of the way so I can focus on upcoming things.

I have a closet full of shipping materials: cardboard boxes, padded envelopes, plastic envelopes, bubble wrap, and a whole lot of labels with my name and address attached to everything. It's been building up for...years, actually. There's even a bunch of boxes under the bed.

I need to dispose of it all. Do I shred/cross out the labels? Do just toss everything out together and hope for the best? What do I do with envelopes that have bubble wrap on the inside?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I've decided that I need to deal with this and get it out of the way so I can focus on upcoming things.

I have a closet full of shipping materials: cardboard boxes, padded envelopes, plastic envelopes, bubble wrap, and a whole lot of labels with my name and address attached to everything. It's been building up for...years, actually. There's even a bunch of boxes under the bed.

I need to dispose of it all. Do I shred/cross out the labels? Do just toss everything out together and hope for the best? What do I do with envelopes that have bubble wrap on the inside?

Shredding the labels is not advisable because they're sticky. You could take a permanent marker and cross them out if you're worried about personal information, I wouldn't be that concerned if it's just your name and address. Unless you're in WitSec or something.

Recycle all the cardboard.

Those bubble mailers are not recyclable, toss them with your household trash. There might be a few states that accept them with the recycling, but you'll have to look that up on your public works website. I doubt it, though.

brDe918.jpg