As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elder Scrolls Online] Game is LIVE!

• JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    The test was supposed to start at 6pm EST. I doubt many people are trying to login right now. They may just be doing a pretest.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'm watching someone in my animation class on break playing through the Dunmer starting area. No hitches or issues so far. Looks interesting.

Will login tonight, probably round 6 EST. Not sure what I'll roll though.

488W936.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I was invited to the beta stress test and was able to long in about an hour ago, two hours earlier than the email said I would be able to. It was running quite nicely.

My one gripe is seeing all of the other people running around as well, doing the same things as me. It's not kosher.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular

My one gripe is seeing all of the other people running around as well, doing the same things as me. It's not kosher.

Well be prepared to gripe a lot then.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »

Well be prepared to gripe a lot then.

I figured as much. I guess MMOs just aren't for me.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Hmmm, Cliffracer Preservation Society is too long, I thought it worked in the last beta.

Anyway, I made a shortened version, if people want a channel for in game. Mail @Joiry for invite (or Jirel as character name).

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    It turns out that ESO did not in fact install fully when I put it in yesterday, so I am now reinstalling.

Will try to be on ASAP tonight.

488W936.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Hey so I kinda sorta forgot my login information, where is the website to reset that stuff @_@? Found it!

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Well, I'm like 10 minutes into the game and encountered my first game breaking bug. I'm supposed to collect a skyshard but it never spawned so now I can't progress at all

The combat feels pretty sluggish and the A.I is hilariously bad, even for an MMO so far

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Croc_ClockCroc_Clock Registered User regular
    So... I got into the beta, but I can't even tell if I should be excited about that. From what little I've read online about it, it just seems like a multiplayer version of Skyrim. And while I loved the immense world of Skyrim, the actual combat and levelling mechanics were total shit if we're being honest. That's fine in a single-player game where I can immerse myself in the overall environment, but mechanics seem to matter a lot in multiplayer games. Is this Skyrim MP? Or radically different?

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Stress test code woo!
    I have to say, after getting used to the lag on the combat (I'm assuming/hoping that's stress-test related and won't be as obvious in the final product) I started digging the fuck out of the game. It captured a lot of what I enjoy about ES games and I spent much of the time just running around, collecting ingredients and hunting for treasure chests. Then stumbling blindly into quests and getting caught up in them, before completing them and repeating the cycle.

Elsweyr is pretty, I hope the next SP ES game is set there.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Managed to play for 30 mins, before my Internet crapped out. I'll try again tomorrow.

So far, so good - it really feels like an Elder Scrolls game, and I liked what I saw of the character creator, as well as the skill trees.

I really, really like the fact that you can use all crafting skills on each character. No more being forced to create alts in order to be self-sufficient.

Hopefully I'll actually get to see Tamriel tomorrow. :-)

• KiasKias Registered User regular
    The one thing that has me interested about this game is that it is taking a target free approach to combat. Old news, sure, but I kind of wrote this off as soon as I heard about it. Still, I am interested to see how I enjoy not tabbing through targets to shoot the guy right in front of me.

steam_sig.png

edited January 2014
    From a technical standpoint, the game is much improved from the last beta. And a lot less players per zone instance, and more parts of the main storyline are personally instanced. I just wish the dungeon/cave areas were single/party instanced.

The new crafting system is neat, I like how they've structured it. Tho it really needs a tutorial, at least for initial refinement of materials.

Joiry on
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Stress test code woo!
    I have to say, after getting used to the lag on the combat (I'm assuming/hoping that's stress-test related and won't be as obvious in the final product) I started digging the fuck out of the game. It captured a lot of what I enjoy about ES games and I spent much of the time just running around, collecting ingredients and hunting for treasure chests. Then stumbling blindly into quests and getting caught up in them, before completing them and repeating the cycle.

Elsweyr is pretty, I hope the next SP ES game is set there.

Ya I've been playing it all day

Fun game

Totally feels like I'm adventuring and exploring without worrying about quest hubs and floaty name/quests/etc.

The character skill/passive options are also really cool, lots of options and depth to play with.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    Played for a bit today. Gave up when I couldn't find a single missing villager. They went missing toooooo good

steam_sig.png
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    One nice thing is that it is really easy to describe the game when people ask since you can just go "it's like skyrim, unmodded skyrim".

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I'm really interested to see more opinions of the people here, because other places i'm reading online there's a lot of people saying this beta features some of the most bland MMO gameplay and worst combat they've played, even for an MMO.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I'm really interested to see more opinions of the people here, because other places i'm reading online there's a lot of people saying this beta features some of the most bland MMO gameplay and worst combat they've played, even for an MMO.

It's likely they've just opened up that saved document file called "What to say about the next big MMO" and just copy and pasted text from it. I still hear "Ugh WoW Clone" is popular with the kids.

But anyway, glad to hear the experience is getting better. I got invited, but not sure I'll have time to play this weekend. But I'm already 98.328% sure I'll buy it at launch. I'm honestly just a little "beta fatigued" at this point, and would rather save time and just buy the box then go another "beta test".

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    I'm like, level 4 but the combat is neither completely awful or good. It's just kind of there at the moment

I'm playing as a sorceror and I can shoot weak iceshards at people, charge up for slightly stronger iceshards or go to my hotbar for my one skill that shoots some sort of purple thing at them and costs mana

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    dougyfresh wrote: »
    Played for a bit today. Gave up when I couldn't find a single missing villager. They went missing toooooo good

I really like how they did that part. You really do have to explore almost the entire starting island if you wanna find them all.

Seriously this game's quests have me hooked. The kill 5 rat asses are still there now and then, but they are just a sub-part of a story each NPC is trying to tell. I hope they have a thieves guild, the few stealing type missions I've already done were pretty fun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the missions, too.

Combat is ok, nothing amazing.

Writing is good, too - I'm glad they included scattered books and notes to read.

Regarding crafting - anyone know how to refine ore ? I have a pile of ingots, but can't work out how to make them into ore.

And I also like the fact that crafting has its ows skill trees. I have a feeling my character will be an expert crafter and gatherer, but an average fighter. :-)

Goto the blacksmith station and select extraction at the top. Then extract the ore to get ingots.

Research I think is done by buying those "unidentified" things from the vendor.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited January 2014
    Numi wrote: »
    One nice thing is that it is really easy to describe the game when people ask since you can just go "it's like skyrim, unmodded skyrim".
    I would add "that you haven't played yet". Because I would happily invest another 90 hours into Skyrim if I could forget everything about the game.

Nuu, stop fucking up, login, I want to play some more.

Glal on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Hmm, I now crash every single time after my initial log-in. The game says I made a invalid character and that my alliance/class/race combination shouldn't exist. For the record I am Daggerfall/Argonian/Dragonknight(?), which now checking the official website I see shouldn't exist, but the character creator gave me full options for everything. Of course, because of that I can't even get past the initial log-in screen now no matter what.

Edit: Now the "Ignore Once" button works and it lets me in, but I can't seem to delete the character now.

Edit 2: She seems to now be deleted?

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    They are looking into it, info in the beta forums.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AgmoaAgmoa Registered User regular
    WOW I am spoiled by the Rift Beta, they did the open beta with a close to perfect game, ESO is a bit of a mess, combat kinda suck, graphics are not great (again coming from Rift) not as good as Skyrim more like Oblivion, looting kinda sucks.

The MMO part of the game seems to be about 10 years old, no lobby system, porting to a player only ports you to a travle stone, and so on, you will spend a LOT of time not doing fun things that other games got rid of way back.

Agmoa wrote: »
    WOW I am spoiled by the Rift Beta, they did the open beta with a close to perfect game, ESO is a bit of a mess, combat kinda suck, graphics are not great (again coming from Rift) not as good as Skyrim more like Oblivion, looting kinda sucks.

The MMO part of the game seems to be about 10 years old, no lobby system, porting to a player only ports you to a travle stone, and so on, you will spend a LOT of time not doing fun things that other games got rid of way back.

Well, they are trying for something different, not quite like current MMOs. The problem is there's enough bits and pieces that are still very themeparkish in the game, which sets up the wrong expectations. They really should have gone full sandbox imo.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm confused by that statement. Trying something diff? I'm not saying what theyre doing is outright horrible and insulting... but it's most certainly not diff. Ha.

Edit: After a few beta weekends, my verdict is the same as what it was going in. It's the same MMO I've played many times before, but with a slightly diff skin.

In fact, while running around I couldn't help but feel like I did during the first 20 level in Age of Conan. Damn near same art style as well. If you took lore buzzwords out of ESO and put in unnecessary aiming combo buttons, it may in fact BE AoC. :)

Decoy on
    Ya as soon as you stop caring about no minimap and no quest hubs its great.

Plus the combat is good, people seem to just be button mashing and not getting it I guess.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    From what little I managed to play of it last night after getting through some technical difficulties and editing a text file, I could see some of where people's complaints were coming from, but I also found it to be genuinely enjoyable in terms of the combat, the presentation, the UI, etc. The story so far is a bit hammy but there you go.

488W936.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    My only real genuine combat complaint is a balancing issue which is A.) easily fixed and B.) the same problem as literally every other ES game I've played.

Start the game... cast any spell twice... OOM... FML...

Decoy on
    Decoy wrote: »
    I'm confused by that statement. Trying something diff? I'm not saying what theyre doing is outright horrible and insulting... but it's most certainly not diff. Ha.

Edit: After a few beta weekends, my verdict is the same as what it was going in. It's the same MMO I've played many times before, but with a slightly diff skin.

In fact, while running around I couldn't help but feel like I did during the first 20 level in Age of Conan. Damn near same art style as well. If you took lore buzzwords out of ESO and put in unnecessary aiming combo buttons, it may in fact BE AoC. :)

Keyword being "trying". The general consensus is, based on the initial announcement long ago, the game was going to be very standard WoW-ish. But the huge negative reaction to that caused the devs to try and add more ES single player games.

So, yeah, in a sense, the "missing" things are supposed to be missing. You are meant to run all over the place and the few wayshrines are there as a bare necessity. The problem is ZOS is trying to appease both "traditonal" MMO players and a more sandboxy crowd from the single player ES games. Well, its a bit more complex than that, but that's the main gist of it.

• HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    From what little I managed to play of it last night after getting through some technical difficulties and editing a text file, I could see some of where people's complaints were coming from, but I also found it to be genuinely enjoyable in terms of the combat, the presentation, the UI, etc. The story so far is a bit hammy but there you go.
    This.

I was unimpressed the first weekend I played this game, but a lot of tweaks have been made since. The game I'm playing this weekend is genuinely enjoyable. I don't know what endgame tricks will hold players' subscriptions, but this is definitely a game worth playing through once if you enjoy Elder Scrolls games and MMOs.

3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
    There's no way this game will hold a sub for long past launch, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If they can manage it somehow, all power to them, but they are fighting against their own IP in the sense that all the other previous ES games are free past the box price and highly moddable, especially Skyrim which this game takes a lot from.

Whether or not they can meet their development debt and budgetary obligations on a F2P financial model though is another thing entirely.

Also, it was hilarious listening to the few bits of Microsoft Sam voice dialogue still in the game for minor NPCs like the Stros M'Kai merchants.

488W936.png
    Decoy wrote: »

After the starting island I was able to do the same thing I would do in an elder scrolls game... look off into the distance at what looks cool and go there to explore. Along the way finding lore, materials, enemies, NPCs with problems, etc.

In AoC it had quest hubs and thats about it.

So far I feel like I'm playing a better version of Darkfall without the FFA-pvp. I can basically go do what looks fun and gain exp/points to spend how I want to improve my dude how I want.

Indeed they aren't trying something new, just they aren't doing what the mainstream MMOs are doing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I have yet to get off what Sonork called the starter island, but if that is actually true then this game will already go up a lot in my book for pulling off something that a lot of MMOs have fucked up for me.

488W936.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Harlon wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »
    This.

I was unimpressed the first weekend I played this game, but a lot of tweaks have been made since. The game I'm playing this weekend is genuinely enjoyable. I don't know what endgame tricks will hold players' subscriptions, but this is definitely a game worth playing through once if you enjoy Elder Scrolls games and MMOs.

Yeah, this.

I played a beta weekend late last year I think? And it was a mess. Then they released the prices and release date of a few months from then and I'm like "Wut? No...just. No." BUT now I'm playing this beta weekend and kind of having fun. Lots of tweaks were made, it's overall a pretty decent game. Combat is still not the strong point, but if you can stand other TES games this is certainly going to be something you enjoy. Being able to block/counter and it being a bit faster paced are points in its favor though.

I just wish they weren't being so greedy with the price tag. The game is enjoyable now, but any game is going to be hard to sell to me for the price they're asking. Let alone one that I wouldn't call "great".

I think one thing people aren't getting is nothing is FLASHING or SHINING very much for you to explore/examine it. The game actually wants you to look at stuff to see if its worth investigating. Like Baldurs Gate... you had to mouse over things in the room to actually see what there was. So far its very much like that, the game is totally ok with letting someone "miss" something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Joiry wrote: »
    So, yeah, in a sense, the "missing" things are supposed to be missing. You are meant to run all over the place and the few wayshrines are there as a bare necessity.
    Shit, it just clicked what I found so nostalgic about the game- it felt like a mix of old sandboxy MMOs, mixed with modern improvements (like, oh, not having to spend hours grinding skills just to see any progress). The lack of quest hubs makes a huge difference for me, as are the choices you're often offered through the quests. Sure, they might not Affect The World In Irreversible Ways, but they feel like they affect those involved, which is what I care about really.

And it might be just the fact that I'm dual wielding, but I find the combat rather satisfying. If the enemies reacted to hits instantly, rather than with a second's delay, I'd have no complaints. The game lets me pop out of invisibility to bludgeon the now-stunned enemies to death with two magic axes, what's not to like?

This discussion has been closed.