As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prospective East 2014 enforcers

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited February 2014 in PAX East
zerzhul on

• The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    I put in my application. I have a few friends who have enforced in the past and I think it might be interesting to see that side of PAX.

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Last East was my first time as an Enforcer and I truly had a blast. The Enforcer community as a whole is really great. That being said, don't forget that when you make the commitment to be an Enforcer you are volunteering your time to make PAX awesome. After Wheaton's Law, our primary rule is that PAX is for the Attendees. You'll miss panels you may want to see. You'll get less time to wander Expo, and you'll have less time to spend with any friends that may make the trip with you due to your duties. However, even with all of that, if you come in with the right attitude and mindset and true passion to make PAX PAX, I can pretty much guarantee you'll have an amazing experience. I can also pretty much guarantee that there will be many more applications than there are spots open, so when you fill out your application take it seriously.

Best of luck to all who decide to take the plunge!

JQ1qRPt.png
  • APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Applied. I've been looking forward to this post for about 9 months now.

Excitement (n): A feeling of great enthusiasm and eagerness.
    ex: "APacMan was overflowing with Excitement after applying to be an Enforcer"
    See Also: Exhilaration, Anticipation, APacMan, Elation

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • sandalwoodsandalwood Cartoonist New YorkRegistered User regular
    Applied as soon as I saw the CTA; I've been waiting a long time as well! Last year was my first PAX and the Enforcers I met were really great and it would be awesome to join the ranks. Time to take the black, -er red, so to speak :)

• Midas244Midas244 Registered User regular
    Last East and Prime were my first and second time enforcing, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about enforcing and I'll try to help!

• shepdshepd Registered User regular
    I guess there must a government rule making it US work eligible only. Ah well... it's only somewhat interesting anyways. :) I think I'm probably the type to just enjoy PAX instead of telling people where to go.

• lokar82lokar82 Registered User regular
    So how do they let you know if you're accepted?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    PRD (the person that form gets sent to) will e-mail you to let you know whether or not you've been accepted or rejected. I'd imagine this would happen by the beginning of March.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • jiffypopjiffypop I have just met you, and I love you! Registered User new member
    I applied to be an Enforcer, but I don't currently have plans to attend PAX otherwise. Should I post in the roomshare thread now, or wait until I get a solid yes/no from PRD before looking for accommodations? I wouldn't want to jump into a room slot and have to back out if I'm not selected, leaving someone in the lurch like that.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    theoretically you should already have your pax trip entirely arranged prior to applying as an enforcer. In the past it has been common for applicants to not hear back until 4-5 weeks prior to the event, which would be a difficult time frame within which to acquire accommodations and travel.

• jiffypopjiffypop I have just met you, and I love you! Registered User new member
    Hm. I shall drop PRD an e-mail, then. Thanks.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Yes, what @zerzhul said is correct. A couple reasons for asking if your travel plans are all set is to cut down on people who might flake out and those who perhaps didn't get a badge and are using this as a way to get free entry.

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Yes, what @zerzhul said is correct. A couple reasons for asking if your travel plans are all set is to cut down on people who might flake out and those who perhaps didn't get a badge and are using this as a way to get free entry.

Not having a flight booked yet won't hurt my chances though, right? I'm watching the fares for a few more weeks with intent of getting a good deal, but I can't remember how heavily I emphasized that on my app. The last thing I want is to be denied because I appear to be non-committal.

edited January 2014
    You should be fine in that regard, but if you didn't have lodging or a pass as welll, not so fine.

whypick1 on
    Looks like they closed the apps. Now to wait for the emails....

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    Good luck to everyone :D

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • JudgeFudgeJudgeFudge Registered User new member
    Nooooooooo I just went on to try and apply since I'm not DM'ing this year (they couldn't get enough space for us to run DnD this year)! Is there anyone to contact to maybe throw in an application last second? Got plenty of experience at other cons :/

• SilcrisSilcris Registered User regular
    I just got accepted!! Great day!

• currybotcurrybot I will be HUGE! Tysons, VARegistered User new member
    Accepted. Awesome.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited February 2014
    JudgeFudge wrote: »
    Nooooooooo I just went on to try and apply since I'm not DM'ing this year (they couldn't get enough space for us to run DnD this year)! Is there anyone to contact to maybe throw in an application last second? Got plenty of experience at other cons :/

*disclaimer, the following is my opinion*

The answer is probably no. I believe PRD feels the many deadlines in the enforcer application and scheduling process are good helpful indicators on how reliable enforcers are. While missing one deadline doesn't make you or anyone a slacker. Unless she was truly desperate, there isn't really much benefit to PAX to make exceptions. You would probably make a great enforcer, but so will most of those who are already enforcers and those who applied this year. We will have hundreds of enforcers there, one more or less won't make much difference to the show. I would guess she got enough applications so that she can be picky with who she accepts. If I had to guess, probably twice as many applications as enforcer openings.

That being said Kristin Lindsay <klindsay@penny-arcade.com> is the super busy lady that makes all the decisions around this if you want to try your luck. If you do email her, you better be on your 'A' game and have a great application.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • deestardeestar [E]nforcer PAXEast Vermont Registered User regular
    I've applied and am hoping to be one of the lucky one's this year. My first year applying

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    Woah, didn't expect the apps to close this early. Good to hear!

However, I only recently saw this because I heard about the musical lineup being announced, checked out the website, and saw that the application link was removed. What that does mean, though, is that I haven't received a reply yet.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one in this boat, especially with how much time PRD puts into picking a well-rounded group of Enforcers. Anyone know if the typical time frame of acceptances?

They usually go out in waves, so I wouldn't fret about not hearing anything quite yet.

WOOT! I got my acceptance email last night. What a good way to start the week!

• SilcrisSilcris Registered User regular
    Just got enforcer status! YAY!

Didn't you post that you got accepted last week?

• bkeschhhbkeschhh Registered User new member
    edited February 2014
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums here, but I've never missed an East before. It was my first year applying for an Enforcer position and am wondering how the rollout works? Seems like some people got acceptance on the 11 and then also today/last night on the 18th. Is this normal that they always go out on Tuesdays? Will we be notified once all Enforcer positions have been dished out? Because I still need to find a pass if I don't get the job :\

zerzhul on
    I don't think there is any particular set schedule for these things. You can always contact PRD (contact info earlier in this thread) for an official answer to questions.

• IncredibleNoxIncredibleNox Registered User new member
    I have been given the amazing oppurting to become and enforcer and help out at pax! However I made an account for the enforcers only forum and its saying that my access is denied. Did I do something wrong I followed the steps given in the email. Thank you all!

E-mail klindsay@penny-arcade.com

• IncredibleNoxIncredibleNox Registered User new member
    Yeah I did, I'm still waiting on a reply. Thank you!