As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] - Ys sir, can I Ys have some more?

19495969798100»

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Looks like we're about to hit page 100... @Unco-ordinated, you good for the new thread?

Edit: whoa, perfect timing.

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Sorry P4G people, I gave up!

I'll probably go back to it at some point and try again but given I've put probably 2 and a half hours I'd say I've given it a fair go.

On to Soul Sacrifice, I've already put hours in to the demo so I know I'm going to love this.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So I was thinking...

I really think Remote Play and Playstation NOW will kill Vita ports.

I was reading that Don't Starve has a Vita version in the works. Why on Earth would I buy that (as a PS4 owner)? I can just remote play it, most times. And with PS Now on the horizon, stuff like Borderlands 2...if you can stream the PS3 Borderlands 2 to Vita, and play with PS3 owners with that copy, why would you buy the Vita copy?

I know the reasoning will be "because what if I want to play it anytime, with no wifi", but I think the cost to make these ports is going to be vastly more than the number of people who will buy it to have it at all times.

I don't necessarily think it's a BAD thing for the Vita - more Vita specific titles is always a good thing - but the more I think about it, ports are going to become very redundant on the Vita, and I think crossbuy will start to make way more sense if you want to offer a dedicated Vita version of your PS4 game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ehhh. Having Borderlands 2 on long road trips would be worth it to me.

Obviously I wouldn't feel that way about every game. I would primarily use Now for games which would never otherwise see a port when my wife wants the TV.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    Looks like we're about to hit page 100... @Unco-ordinated, you good for the new thread?

Edit: whoa, perfect timing.

Yep, I'll make it soon.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So I was thinking...

I really think Remote Play and Playstation NOW will kill Vita ports.

I was reading that Don't Starve has a Vita version in the works. Why on Earth would I buy that (as a PS4 owner)? I can just remote play it, most times. And with PS Now on the horizon, stuff like Borderlands 2...if you can stream the PS3 Borderlands 2 to Vita, and play with PS3 owners with that copy, why would you buy the Vita copy?

I know the reasoning will be "because what if I want to play it anytime, with no wifi", but I think the cost to make these ports is going to be vastly more than the number of people who will buy it to have it at all times.

I don't necessarily think it's a BAD thing for the Vita - more Vita specific titles is always a good thing - but the more I think about it, ports are going to become very redundant on the Vita, and I think crossbuy will start to make way more sense if you want to offer a dedicated Vita version of your PS4 game.

Well, there's an elephant in the room there --- not having a Vita port limits your sales to just PS4 sales. Whether or not a Vita version is worth it depends on a lot of factors, and while there may already be heavy PS4+Vita ownership overlap, there are certainly games I would rather play on Vita but would consider double-dipping on PS3/PS4 for.

As for Remote Play, it's a nice supplement and bridge, but aside from a bad port, a Vita version is always going to be preferable --- not only for the reasons you mention, but just the nature of Remote Play itself. I just finished Remote Playing some Don't Starve, and it's a fun game, but the interface being designed to cram a lot into a 1080p display does the Vita no favors. The crafting icons are sometimes difficult to differentiate, the text a bit too small, and similar objects in the world too similar. It still is mostly fine, mind you, but it's not the same as native, either.

So it probably saves some developers from afterthought Vita ports of their PS4 games, but with a good process, I think there's plenty to suggest that it'd still be worth it some of the time.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    There is also the fact that remote play, as good as it is, doesn't work everywhere. I would love to play Don't Starve on my hour lunch at work but my Vita can't do remote play from work. Or people that have long train commutes. Or a multitude of other places where a wifi cconnection isn't in the cards.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
This discussion has been closed.