As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3/360, they both match my hi-fi now, which do I buy?

• FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm of the mind that the next time you want to brag to the media about how your game needs 50 billion gigs to be good... it had better be fucking good. Or you will get Lair'd by said media.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. Let this thread die already. You guys have confused the OP more than anything else.

rob, dude, leave this thread and expand your horizons. Have you even LOOKED at another thread since you began your tirade in this one?

To the OP: Seriously. I'd just wait a little longer. If you want the PS3 wait about 4-5 months... Then they'll eventually announce another price drop, and you can pick it up then. Save your money this holiday season for stuff for the family and friends.

The more you tell me to leave, the more you will continue to read my posts. Let that sink in.
    I'm kinda looking at the psp thread as well, but no, I haven't really LOOKED at another thread since I began my tirade in this one. Is that a crime? is there somewhere in the forum rules that you must participate in multiple threads at a time? What's it to you? The amount of time I've spent keeping up with this thread is boarding on ludicrous so I can't imagine trying to keep up with the ENTIRE FORUM.

As for waiting for a price drop. That notion has always been silly to me. Those four months of waiting could have been 4 months of enjoying a product, which is actually valuable. So, the extra money you pay before a price drop (wouldn't be more than $50 or $100) is made up for with time spend enjoying your product.

If people waited for the next update/price drop on an iPod, no one would EVER buy an iPod, because there is ALWAYS an update/price drop looming in the not-too-distant future. Buy one and start enjoying it now and don't worry about it being $50 more than some undetermined time in the future. Contstantly WAITING for the best moment to do something you could have been doing earlier is a sad life philosophy in general. Carpe Diem!

Seriously Honky, what's your personal BEEF with me? Why are you singling me out? Be as specific as possible, please.

robcat09 on
    edited September 2007
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Wait, DarkWarrior

Are you still hyping Lair?

I mean, I haven't played it or anything, but the general consensus has been poor.

You can hype Lair. It's allowed. It's a game. Some people like it. Others do not.
    Some people like The Transformers Movie. Others think its trash.

It is not FACT that Lair is trash, it is opinion.

I will not defend Lair as a GREAT game, but I have played 8 levels of it and you know what? I've had more moments of fun than I've had moments of frustration (there is a lot of frustration due to a wonky camera and stuttering framerate). The sensation of being on the back of a giant dragon is THERE. There are moments of absolutely stunning beauty in the artwork (other times it looks meh).

The game can be hyped because it can provide someone fun. It is not as broken as the reviewers state (the reviewers played the game before the firmware that made the controls more responsive, apparently - don't quote me on that, but that is the only way I can make sense of what most of them are saying). Why Gabe and Tycho hate is so much is beyond me. It is not THAT bad.

robcat09 on
    edited September 2007
    I just got my Gamestop prerecorded 'heavenly sword will be in tomorrow' message :lol:

robcat09 on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Right on robcat09! Don't let the man keep you down when you're doing time in the Jailed.
    Fight the power! Lair rules!

I have a PS3, so take this you... you...
    You garbage-box 360 fanboys!
    garbage-box?
    You garbage-box 360 fanboys.
    Warhawk is the best multiplayer game out there.
    And Heavenly Sword got good scores from even MS-biased websites like 1up.
    Your Two Worlds got 4 out of 10 and Blue Dragon got 6 out of 10 from Gamespot, and you talk big?
    Both Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are great games.
    Go play err-Halo 3 with cartoon power ranger kids in green diapers! HOOO00OO!

Get to the hospital and change your brain!
    (click for audio)

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a feeling he heard that podcast already and that is what prompted the defense force reflex to come out of lurking.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited September 2007
    slacktron wrote: »
    Right on robcat09! Don't let the man keep you down when you're doing time in the Jailed.
    Fight the power! Lair rules!

I have a PS3, so take this you... you...
    You garbage-box 360 fanboys!
    garbage-box?
    You garbage-box 360 fanboys.
    Warhawk is the best multiplayer game out there.
    And Heavenly Sword got good scores from even MS-biased websites like 1up.
    Your Two Worlds got 4 out of 10 and Blue Dragon got 6 out of 10 from Gamespot, and you talk big?
    Both Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are great games.
    Go play err-Halo 3 with cartoon power ranger kids in green diapers! HOOO00OO!

Get to the hospital and change your brain!
    (click for audio)

What. The. F#ck? I know what that quote is referring to, I listened to the podcast. Just wondering what it has to do with me. Do you really think Lair rules, or are you being sarcastic? I wouldn't go so far as to say it rules, but I've enjoyed my time with it. You're probably being sarcastic you little devil you! :P

i'm not saying the xbox is bad because Lair ISN'T the worst game ever made. Honestly, I'm not saying that!

robcat09 on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am up to page three, and wow.

360 users, the PS3 is not a failure, it just hasn't picked up yet. Once it hits its groove it will pick up new games and the like. 360 wasn't getting anywhere for quite a while, two years out and it is still only now getting its biggest titles (Bioshock, Halo) and gears wasn't that long ago.

"People who purchased the Xbox 360 also likely would rather not have 2 consoles, so they would really just like to see the PS3 go away. They don't WANT to want it, therefore they have clouded judgement."

This is a great quote. You may not notice it, but you want the PS3 to flounder so everyone will be on the same page and so the anger will go.

Unfortunately, the 360 users are the angriest people in this thread, I half expect some of you to go flat out postal.

The Black Hunter on
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Unfortunately, the 360 users are the angriest people in this thread, I half expect some of you to go flat out postal.

Yeah, just wait until you finish reading this thread...

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm just saddened that Hedwirez's request have been left by the wayside to debate the validity of a Lair review. Seriously. Who even knows if he's interested in the sixaxis-controlled-dragon-riding genre? He could be a Madden junkie. That right there would seal the 360.

You can point to games being the main reason to buy a given system, but really, the summer drought has left both systems wanting, with both likely to be buried in the great games by the end of 4th quarter.

I faced this decision two months ago and came up with the following:

Weight the following from 10-1, with 10 the most important and 1 the least.

--- Size of current game library (360)
    --- Size of legacy library (PS3)
    --- Initial cash outlay (360)
    --- Refinement of on-line multiplayer (360)
    --- Ability to display/upscale to 1080p (PS3)
    --- Hardware reliability (PS3)
    --- Storage capacity/upgradability (PS3)
    --- PC compatibility of controllers (360)
    --- How it looks on your shelf
    --- Blu-ray or HD-DVD?

Add up the numbers. Biggest number wins.

Really, there is no wrong answer and he's not forced into either camp forever.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited September 2007

360 users, the PS3 is not a failure, it just hasn't picked up yet. Once it hits its groove it will pick up new games and the like. 360 wasn't getting anywhere for quite a while, two years out and it is still only now getting its biggest titles (Bioshock, Halo) and gears wasn't that long ago.

"People who purchased the Xbox 360 also likely would rather not have 2 consoles, so they would really just like to see the PS3 go away. They don't WANT to want it, therefore they have clouded judgement."

This is a great quote. You may not notice it, but you want the PS3 to flounder so everyone will be on the same page and so the anger will go.

err.. quote credit goes to me, thank you very much. 8-)

robcat09 on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

This is stupid. Period. The PS3 has some great stuff coming out this year and next. No 360 fan is going to deny that. However, you cannot say the 360 isn't going anywhere. That is absolutely moronic. That's as dumb as DarkWarrior saying the Wii is a fad that will drop off the radar any day now.

Where the hell do you people come from?

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited September 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

This is stupid. Period. The PS3 has some great stuff coming out this year and next. No 360 fan is going to deny that. However, you cannot say the 360 isn't going anywhere. That is absolutely moronic. That's as dumb as DarkWarrior saying the Wii is a fad that will drop off the radar any day now.

Where the hell do you people come from?

People do not read the post they are quoting before they respond to it, i swear. Nowhere in that quote does it say that the writer thinks the 360 isn't going anywhere.

"360 wasn't getting anywhere for quite a while" is as close as I can come to matching up your response to that quote, and well, your response simply doesn't compute.

What it does do is really illustrate the point of how angry 360 owners are. Thanks for that.

robcat09 on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Read Evangir, that's not what he said. As far as timelines and libraries go, the PS3 and 360 were in relatively similar places.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited September 2007
    Ugh, you're right. I read "wasn't" as "isn't." I are good at reading.

And I'm not sure why you read that as angry. Slightly annoyed maybe, but not angry.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    That's as dumb as DarkWarrior saying the Wii is a fad that will drop off the radar any day now.

I think you and I should have a personal bet about that.

DarkWarrior on
    edited September 2007
    That's as dumb as DarkWarrior saying the Wii is a fad that will drop off the radar any day now.

Only if it involves the eating of cocks. We have to bet... THE PENNY ARCADE WAY!

Evangir on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

Only if it involves the eating of cocks. We have to bet... THE PENNY ARCADE WAY!

I started the cock eating bet. I wouldn't have it any other way.

DarkWarrior on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is basically a "Console A is better than Console B becase I said so" and vice-versa. Just choose yourself.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Dude, you can say the exact same fucking thing about the PS3, as blatantly evident by most of the retardedness polluting this thread from the mouth of the same jailed fanboy.
    "People who purchased the PS3 also likely would rather not have 2 consoles, so they would really just like to see the 360 go away. They don't WANT to want it, therefore they have clouded judgement."

This is a great quote. You may not notice it, but you want the 360 to flounder so everyone will be on the same page and so the anger will go, especially since it has a software library which shits all over that of the PS3.

See? Fucking genius, eh?

Also;
    and gears wasn't that long ago.

Uh-huh, it was last November. Welcome to ten months ago.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited September 2007

Dude, you can say the exact same fucking thing about the PS3, as blatantly evident by most of the retardedness polluting this thread from the mouth of the same jailed fanboy.
    "People who purchased the PS3 also likely would rather not have 2 consoles, so they would really just like to see the 360 go away. They don't WANT to want it, therefore they have clouded judgement."

This is a great quote. You may not notice it, but you want the 360 to flounder so everyone will be on the same page and so the anger will go, especially since it has a software library which shits all over that of the PS3.

See? Fucking genius, eh?

Also;
    and gears wasn't that long ago.

Uh-huh, it was last November. Welcome to ten months ago.

You know, 10 months have gone by between the release of Gears of War and Bioshock, the two best rated 360 games so far. PS3 has been out for 10 months total in the US (less in other areas of the world). Read into that what you will. Just to make it perfectly clear:

I am not saying anything sucks in this post.

robcat09 on
    edited September 2007

And I'm not sure why you read that as angry. Slightly annoyed maybe, but not angry.

Where I come from, someone talking to me like this is angry:

"That is absolutely moronic... Where the hell do you people come from?"

If that is slightly annoyed, let me go down on record saying that I definitely do NOT want to see what you write when you in fact are angry.

robcat09 on
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As far as timelines and libraries go, the PS3 and 360 were in relatively similar places.

Too bad the PS3 is up against the 360 of today, and not the 360 of a year ago.

And when the PS3 finally gets more games, the 360 will have even more.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    robcat09 wrote: »

Where I come from, someone talking to me like this is angry:

"That is absolutely moronic... Where the hell do you people come from?"

If that is slightly annoyed, let me go down on record saying that I definitely do NOT want to see what you write when you in fact are angry.

I'll give you a hint. You wouldn't be able to read it because my keyboard would no longer exist in one piece. Fortunately, the only thing that would manage that is Halo 3 spoilers. You're safe!

Evangir on
    edited September 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    As far as timelines and libraries go, the PS3 and 360 were in relatively similar places.

Too bad they're both viable consoles, and will continue to receive great games. Jesus Christ.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know, 10 months have gone by between the release of Gears of War and Bioshock, the two best rated 360 games so far. PS3 has been out for 10 months total in the US (less in other areas of the world). Read into that what you will.
    That makes no sense. Great games other than OMGFUCKINGGODTHISISAWESOME games exist.

Couscous on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Buy a 360 if you want to have fun now. Buy a PS3 if you are interested in investing on the *potential* for fun.

solsovly on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This thread doesn't make sense.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited September 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »

Until at a certain point in time (I am talking years from now) the difference will seem negligible.

Let's fast-forward a few years into the future and PS3 game development is in full swing (as is the 360's game development). All of those games that came out during the first year or so of the 360's life doesn't really amount to much of a competitive edge any more. Both systems would have reached a saturation point where the 'amount' of games no longer matters. Each system will have a shit-load of games to choose from.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot my disclaimer:

I am not saying anything sucks in this thread.

robcat09 on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know, 10 months have gone by between the release of Gears of War and Bioshock, the two best rated 360 games so far. PS3 has been out for 10 months total in the US (less in other areas of the world). Read into that what you will.

That after 10 months of availability nothing on the PS3 is rated as highly as these two 360 games?

Sounds great!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    That makes no sense. Great games other than OMGFUCKINGGODTHISISAWESOME games exist.

Yes but apparently those games are only valid when they are on the 360. Do you see the double standard?
    One of my very first posts in this thread was stating the fact that not every game needs to be AAA in order to be fun.

robcat09 on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007

You should take up being a market analyst so you can show all those other market analysts (who all disagree) what the real game plan is for this generation.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited September 2007

Yes but apparently those games are only valid when they are on the 360. Do you see the double standard?
    One of my very first posts in this thread was stating the fact that not every game needs to be AAA in order to be fun.

But a console has to have AAA titles to be worth the price Sony is asking.

Are you deliberately overlooking that point?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited September 2007
    Let's fast-forward a few years into the future and PS3 game development is in full swing (as is the 360's game development). All of those games that came out during the first year or so of the 360's life doesn't really amount to much of a competitive edge any more. Both systems would have reached a saturation point where the 'amount' of games no longer matters. Each system will have a shit-load of games to choose from.
    I don't understand why you think this will happen. The only time I can think of when something even close to this happened is during the SNES/Genesis era and that mostly just had to do with Nintendo being a prick to developers. What does Sony have that will cause it to convince developers to develop games for the PS3 as much as they do the 360? The only thing would be the Japanese companies that don't sell many games outside of Japan.

Couscous on
    edited September 2007
    Until at a certain point in time (I am talking years from now) the difference will seem negligible.

Maybe.

There is no guarantee on what the future will look like. Any anyone who buys any technology based on future possibilities is a total fool.

You are extrapolating past facts into what you feel is a probable future totally neglecting the change in circumstances: that this time Sony is having its arse handed to them in the marketplace.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, I just took a look at gamerankings and I'm really excited to get my hands on my 360. My contact at the local EB says that the HDMI Premiums are coming in any day now and I'm so tempted just to buy one before November.

I took a quick look comparing the PS3 list to the Xbox 360 list and I didn't notice many highly reviewed PSN games, whereas there were a lot of 80%+ XBLA games.

Then again, I am not really familiar with the PSN and I might have mentally categorised some of the PSN games as actual PS3 games.

devoir on
    edited September 2007
    I don't understand why you think this will happen. The only time I can think of when something even close to this happened is during the SNES/Genesis era and that mostly just had to do with Nintendo being a prick to developers. What does Sony have that will cause it to convince developers to develop games for the PS3 as much as they do the 360? The only thing would be the Japanese companies that don't sell many games outside of Japan.

Happened with the Xbox, yeah? Vastly oversold by the PS2, but still found a decent stable of games, even with the sustained higher price.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited September 2007

Happened with the Xbox, yeah? Vastly oversold by the PS2, but still found a decent stable of games, even with the sustained higher price.

It definitely didn't reach a "saturation point". I own an Xbox and love it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't lacking in many areas in terms of games. A decent library of games is different from a shitload of games. The same thing is true with the Gamecube

Couscous on
    edited September 2007

But the xbox wasn't as expensive as the PS3 is now.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited September 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

You should take up being a market analyst so you can show all those other market analysts (who all disagree) what the real game plan is for this generation.

He could always join Insomniac.
    http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/insomniac-exec-praises-ps3-downplays-wii-fad-247542.php
    There was also that former developer who is now an analyst that called the Wii a fad. However, these people are either idiots or have a really good reason for wanting the PS3 to succeed.

Couscous on