As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

DayspringDayspring the PhoenicianRegistered User regular
You want painted miniatures?
We got painted minatures!

Big ones!
9F13076C-4DDA-4D54-9C05-A5068806162A_zpstqalkn6u.jpg

Small ones!
fprism002.jpg

We got Space Marines of all shapes and sizes for you!
2BKp1KG.jpg
techmarines.jpg
Tactical%20Squad%2001.png

Don't like Space Marines? No problem!
We got Tau for you!
BaPzL5mCQAECAih.jpg

We got Bugs for you!
IGs009_zpse6223129.jpg

We've even got Warmachine!
KrS8H9Y.jpg

We've even got Infinity!
IMG_0157.jpg

We got...er...Malifaux? Maybe
5F89045C-3920-4965-94DF-872331D26EA4-3302-000003D36A69C962_zps3f4b2952.jpg

We got this guy I don't even know where he's from!
PwV5ag2.jpg

Check it out! Paint some miniatures! Post some pictures!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    The last guy is from Hasslefree miniatures, I think.

Your sig was too tall.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yeah, the last one is a Hasslefree mini.

I've also seen that Warjack and the rest of that force in person. It's impressive. :D

I'm also rather chuffed that I managed to be so highly represented in the OP. Guess that means we need people to paint more nids!

Still, would've been nice if the thread title had been 'Taking Tips from Teeny Tiny Tech-marines.' :lol:

*fake edit*
    Shit, I forgot to upload the pic. Finally finishing the riptide after three months has relit the fire under my ass to get stuff done, and I've been making rapid progress with my crashed thunderhawk. We'll see how close I get to complete on that tonight - it's a lot of work.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I just grabbed a bunch of pics from the last 5 pages of the previous thread
    about half way through i wondered if i should have been making a note of who posted them, but eh :P

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So I took a break from painting Templars yesterday and half-ass painted a Wolf Scout. I was going for a darker-but-still-cold blue-gray using some VMC paints. It looks a little too dark in the pic for some reason. Only his codpiece seems too look like it actually does.

Focus on the codpiece, is what I'm saying.

Wolf%20Scout.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Yay! I made the OP too! (uh, though, mine is Warmachine too, cough).

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    So I took a break from painting Templars yesterday and half-ass painted a Wolf Scout. I was going for a darker-but-still-cold blue-gray using some VMC paints. It looks a little too dark in the pic for some reason. Only his codpiece seems too look like it actually does.

Focus on the codpiece, is what I'm saying.

Wolf%20Scout.jpg

What's got you doing wolf wolfs of the wolf wolf?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Is that some mouldline on the bolter mag. :pomg

Tell me what colours you used. Has anyone bought the black/white set or NMM set from vallejo? Also that snow is perfect.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It's funny because I got rid of the mold line on the other side of the magazine. You know, the one you can't see?

VMC Field Blue as the base
    VMC Intermediate Blue for spot highlights and overall edging
    P3 Frostbite as edging

Snow is Secret Weapon crushed glass & realistic water over GW Stirland Mud. Also you can't really see but I got some of that Typhus Corrosion stuff that just came out and put it on his boots. It's actually a really cool mud & grime effect that's stupid easy.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    What's got you doing wolf wolfs of the wolf wolf?

Killteam.

Which reminds me, I was going to work on my scouts and land speeder storm for a kill team after the riptide... man, my gamer ADD is terrible.

I guess I'll do them when the crashed thunderhawk is done.

• leafleaf Registered User regular
    So I kind of burned out on miniatures after retouching my entire khorn army. Also been busy.

Anyways while moving I dug out around 1000k points of eldar I never finished painting. I had found my favorite way of doing wraithbone, which was simply ogryn flesh over a base of white. Since I haven't played for years or done much for modeling, apparently its no longer sold/ made.

Where can I find ogryn flesh wash [or discontinued paints] online? I actually have stuff underway so I'll actually be posting photos again

newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Army painter has made some comparable washes, although I don't think they did anything ogryn equivalent. GW says that Reikland Flesh wash is the same color, but I haven't used it (I stocked up on all the old stuff I needed, and haven't been painting much - somehow I've got like... 4 pots of Ogryn cause I think I kept forgetting I'd already gotten it).

This color matching chart is probably your best choice, as it shows not just old and new GW (or what GW claims what the matches are) but what other major paint lines match up.

Here's my WIP of the thunderhawk. Gonna be a reeeeeeeeal old World Eater's wreck, complete with a skeletonized casualty marine. I didn't think how hard it would be to take a picture of such a bright white ship on such a dark brown background. :lol:

The hull is actually fairly mottled, as I primed it white, gave it a heavy wash of Valleji Blue Gray, and then airbrushed white on top of that.

crathawk_zps55475da8.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    You thinking of water mark lines where rust would have formed along the points water would run down? A chalk dusting and dry brush for grime and dirt would look good I think, more than trying to do washes to age. I learned the hard way white is not a good color for washing.

I'll give that color suggestion a shot, I found a single eBay seller that might have ogryn flesh still heh

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    More Weathering!
    IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg

Also been working on my chapter master some. I have found a camo scheme I like!
    IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg

Scouts have got it too.
    IMG_0382.jpg

I've started on my Sternguard, they've come out pretty Aussie (Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!) Strayaaaaaaa!
    IMG_0387.jpg

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    The weathering looks fantastic, duderino! That lighter, more subtle dirt- pigments, airbrush? What is it?

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Cheers man! If you're talking about what I think you are, its a bone colour airbrushed on very lightly. I'll post more deets when its not midnight.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Army Painter does not make a flesh wash, but all of their other washes are way better than GW's current line and, in my opinion, better than GW's previous line.

Secret Weapon make a flesh wash but I've can't speak to the quality of their washes as I've never used them. Everything else they make is great though.

@Asher the Waffen SS camo scheme looks good.

Army painter has made some comparable washes, although I don't think they did anything ogryn equivalent. GW says that Reikland Flesh wash is the same color, but I haven't used it (I stocked up on all the old stuff I needed, and haven't been painting much - somehow I've got like... 4 pots of Ogryn cause I think I kept forgetting I'd already gotten it).

This color matching chart is probably your best choice, as it shows not just old and new GW (or what GW claims what the matches are) but what other major paint lines match up.

Here's my WIP of the thunderhawk. Gonna be a reeeeeeeeal old World Eater's wreck, complete with a skeletonized casualty marine. I didn't think how hard it would be to take a picture of such a bright white ship on such a dark brown background. :lol:

The hull is actually fairly mottled, as I primed it white, gave it a heavy wash of Valleji Blue Gray, and then airbrushed white on top of that.

crathawk_zps55475da8.jpg

Is it done? Because if so you need to get some weathering on that bitch. Buy some Typhus Corrosion because it's like Easy Mode. Maybe some weathering powders too. I have a bunch if you need them.

Also take the cat outside and shoot it.

• saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular

crathawk_zps55475da8.jpg

Is it done? Because if so you need to get some weathering on that bitch. Buy some Typhus Corrosion because it's like Easy Mode. Maybe some weathering powders too. I have a bunch if you need them.

The cat is the best part!
    The model looks sweet, too.

• WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Army Painter does not make a flesh wash, but all of their other washes are way better than GW's current line and, in my opinion, better than GW's previous line.

Secret Weapon make a flesh wash but I've can't speak to the quality of their washes as I've never used them. Everything else they make is great though.

@Asher the Waffen SS camo scheme looks good.

I don't know about all Secret Weapon washes, but the soft body black wash has a bit of a sheen to it. It works fantastic for washing silvers, but I like it less for non-metals. On everyone's suggestion i picked up a dark purple Secret Weapon wash, and I'll try that out in the recesses on my next model.

I will 100% advocate Secret Weapon Armour wash. Great wash - a little shiny, but not overly so, and of course, dulls down on a matte coat. Subsquently, i've tried a few other washes to middling results. Soft body is as @Woozl says - kinda shiny. I've never tried it on silver, but maybe i'll give that a go.

Fleshwash is kinda...meh. For whatever reason, I prefer Rieksland Flesh Wash by citadel. It's a bit darker, and to me, flows better. I've also tried Secret Weapon parchment wash - it's pretty good. You can use it on most cream colored paints to really good effect.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    To be honest, even the old GW washes weren't matt- they were satin, which means they would still shine, just at a different angle. This made obeserving the colours before applying a matt varnish hella difficult. A wash that has the same amount of shine as a regular coat of paint might be much better for me, seeing as how I'll matt the hell out of the mini later on anyway.

A good rule of thumb is that, until the matte varnish is applied, you're not done.

Is it done?
    Here's my WIP of the thunderhawk.
    my WIP of the
    WIP
    Yes, you can see just how much concern your rampant hostility is causing him.
    photo_zpsb2f9b509.jpg
    I'm not sure whether it's amusing or creepy that I so perfectly anticipated his post as to have a response picture already prepared...

It's cool, I've got burlap sacks and you live close enough to the harbor. Plus you sleep like the dead.

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Is it done?
    Here's my WIP of the thunderhawk.
    my WIP of the
    WIP
    Yes, you can see just how much concern your rampant hostility is causing him.
    photo_zpsb2f9b509.jpg
    I'm not sure whether it's amusing or creepy that I so perfectly anticipated his post as to have a response picture already prepared...

Keen has an irrational hatred of nature's little sociopathic killers.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Damnit Asher. I just started painting a Raptor Killteam and you're making mine look shitty. Hows the rhino weathering done? (doesnt look like airbrushed bone...)

Also, I'm coming to the end of my rope with fucking power weapons. I hate painting blended colours, and the red-orange-yellow I've gone with just makes me think of mac and cheese the more I look at it (thanks to an offhand comment from the gf :/).
    What do you people think are good, non glowing, effects for power weapons? I'm considering just painting them bronze or black-steel and covering them with gore. All blood, all the time. (that new GW effect paint is a godsend. I hate mixing blood)

website_header.jpg
    edited January 2014
    I've never been a fan of glowy power weapons. A power sword is just a sword, man. Unless I'm painting them for someone else in which case I go from dark blue up to white.

I fully intend to do something special for my Space Wolves frost weapons though. Not sure what yet.

EDIT: I also have a bit of a soft spot for old school lightning bolty power weapons, corny though they may be.

Dr_Keenbean on
    McGibs wrote: »
    Damnit Asher. I just started painting a Raptor Killteam and you're making mine look shitty. Hows the rhino weathering done? (doesnt look like airbrushed bone...)

Also, I'm coming to the end of my rope with fucking power weapons. I hate painting blended colours, and the red-orange-yellow I've gone with just makes me think of mac and cheese the more I look at it (thanks to an offhand comment from the gf :/).
    What do you people think are good, non glowing, effects for power weapons? I'm considering just painting them bronze or black-steel and covering them with gore. All blood, all the time. (that new GW effect paint is a godsend. I hate mixing blood)

My friend, do you own an airbrush? If so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7me7OB3XP0

It's a technique I intend to try soon. As airbrushing technique goes, this is very simple, and looks very very good, if you're into 'cooler' colors. You could easily do this warmer tones too. The only hitch is that it works best on more traditional European swords - scimitars and sabers it may not translate well too.

edited January 2014
    My problem with that technique is that it really doesnt work for chaos weapons. All my weapons are crazy ass spiney swords and wierdly shaped axes and maces. I really can't just mask off parts of it, because there are no straight lines.
    For reference, here's my bloodletters's weapons. They're ok, if not a bit lumpy up close (layering up on spikey points is a good way to look shitty), but theyre just a pain in the ass to paint, and dont translate well to bigger weapons (like bloodthirster or deamon prince weapons)
    chaos-bloodletters.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Admittedly it works well for symmetrical swords. Sorry. :(

3lwap0 on
    edited January 2014
    First of all, those look awesome.

Second, here's a technique my friend uses that may translate to non-flat surfaces
    http://www.theindependentcharacters.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5857

edit: yes I realize it is moar lightning, but you can always change the colors around and it would work for non flat surfaces.

Woozl on
    For power weapons, I like using a dark metallic, mottle with a lighter metallic, highlight a bit, and then apply a wash of whatever color I want the sword to be. Then put a gloss coat on it after I've matte coated the rest of the mini. That's what I did on the shield vanes for my riptide up above.

blurry shot of my WIP land raider in game. termies are gonna have a similar scheme (orange/white/grey, less stripes)

5RNHGl7.jpg

Oh man, I love those colours and patterns. If I ever get around to painting my killbot necrons, I was planning a simmilarscheme.

Homeworld, represent.
    af213fa1ce325fe58e75dbf2f53151b1.jpg

website_header.jpg
    For power weapons, I like using a dark metallic, mottle with a lighter metallic, highlight a bit, and then apply a wash of whatever color I want the sword to be. Then put a gloss coat on it after I've matte coated the rest of the mini. That's what I did on the shield vanes for my riptide up above.

Yeah don't underestimate glazes and the like over metallics. It can look really striking like the aforementioned riptide.

Hot damn. 2 brush blending is just a thing I cannot do.

One of the brushes is your penis.

Is that working better?

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    One of the brushes is in your penis.

Is that working better?

You guys are awfully fixated in my wang. But no I would never use a brush that small.

This discussion has been closed.