As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Thanks Ken.

I might have already met them Sharp! My last game for the day was against the very friendly Grant and his Wood Elf team. Will you be at Spike! btw?

So far my Dark Elves are performing!
    Game 1: Humans, 1-0 win.
    Game 2: Chaos Dwarf, 1-0 win.
    Game 3: Undead (and fellow Swede), 2-3 loss
    Game 4: Wood Elf, 2-0 win.

I'm very pleased and feeling good, we'll see what happens tomorrow though. :P

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So just started playing the tabletop game and am loving it. Also just picked up the computer game, the chaos edition. Anybody down for some gaming through cyanides system?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    So @Mago are you going to tell us how you kicked ass at Spike or do I have to be happy with just stalking you on Twitter?

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    We just kicked off the 5th season of our local league with a little team development tournament this weekend. My goblin team did better than expected!

See results and pictures here.

edited September 2013
    Ken O: I kicked ass at Chaos Cup as well, but it only got me a fourth place! :P

Chaos Cup I was 5 wins 1 loss, Spike I was 4 wins and 2 ties.

I took my Wood Elf team to Spike:
    1 Tree
    2 Wardancers (Strip ball, Tackle)
    3 Catchers (2 with Block)
    5 Linemen (2 with Wrestle)
    2 Rerolls

I played Amazons, Amazons, High Elves, Orcs, Amazons and Skaven. So no real bashy team except for the Orcs, though the first Amazon team had Morg and was a bit more aggressive. I think I was out 4 guys at the most during the entire tournament so I was pretty lucky in that respect.

I play carefully and try to keep the entire game in mind rather than going for a quick touchdown. I had 11 touchdowns during the entire Spike. 3 of them were against the second Amazon team where he just got hosed by his dice and 3 of them were against the High Elves team where he kinda forced me to score whenever I could. Eldril with his Hypnotic Gaze and a Strip Ball blitzer gave me serious problems and I could not really keep the ball safe during that game.

Overall the Swedes did great during our American tour!
    1186347_623691734342621_636754950_n.jpg
    Chaos Cup:
    First place (David)
    Third place (Jonas)
    Best stunty (Anders)
    Furthest traveled (Jonas)

Spike!:
    Third place (Me!)
    Most touchdowns (David)
    Best stunty (Anders)

Mago on
    That is fantastic work. It must have been the suits!

Comics, Games, Booze
    Must be!
    1237814_568009349901203_950948290_n.jpg

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Just had a game with my Dark Elves against a Chaos team. Won the game 4-1! It's the first time since playing with them on the tabletop that I actually felt like I was playing an Elf team, and not just someone squishy. I attribute this to my newly-purchased Witch Elf, who scored 3 of the 4 touchdowns.

Of course, just to remind me that I was actually playing an Elf team, in the second half the fans threw a rock... and killed one of my linemen. My apothecary had already exhausted himself saving another lineman (who had JUST gotten Kick from the last game) from death, dropping to a niggler. Ah well, elf journeymen are decent enough.

I've seen throw a rock kill so many players.

And I'm pretty sure my local league is dead. blah.

Comics, Games, Booze
    edited October 2013
    Was winning 2-1 in turn 7 of the second half, against lizardmen. Pop the ball loose from a skink, need my witch elf to go dodge over and grab it and the game's over. She fails, fails down, stuns herself. He manages to pick up the ball again, hand off, and score in T8.

I get last turn of the half. My S4 Blitzer throws a 2D block against a saurus without block. Double skulls, armor breaks, casualty, badly hurt.

We go into OT. Sweltering Heat on the kickoff in the previous T8 knocks out 3 saurus and a skink, but only a single lineman for me. I win the toss and elect to receive. The kick lands (after bounce) exactly in my endzone. Kickoff result is Blitz! and he runs some skinks into my backfield.

I move a guy next to the ball, then send my runner to pick up the ball. 1, fail. Ball bounces out of bounds, comes back in exactly 2 squares away (1,1). All he has to do is run a skink in, untouched, pick up the ball and make a single GFI, which of course he does.

Most frustrating loss I think I've ever had.

tzeentchling on
    Your dice were trying to kill you. That's horrible.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Sometimes the dice just hate you.

Eurobowl, hell yeah! Much fun was had.

Sweden won against Serbia and Hungary but England beat us without breaking a sweat.
    Day two we lost against Italy and the Freebooters before finally facing the Finns (see picture). An epic fight which we won. :)

1422622_10200871758468373_867958449_n.jpg

We got 28 points in total giving us place 9 of the 18 competing teams.

I'm happy with my performance. 3 wins, 2 ties and 1 loss netting me 4 points.

Fuck Disturbing Presence and the rotting carcass it rolled in on. It turned a pretty-sure TD into a fumble and horrible board positioning, resulting in the death of one of my best players and an opposing TD. My opponent's dice would not stop rolling pows, and my blodge couldn't do a damn thing.

I've had 8 serious injuries this season (serious being defined as >Badly Hurt). Of those, 5 are deaths, including a L2 runner and a blodging, Dauntless Blitzer. I think the universe is telling me that I shouldn't be playing Dark Elves.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Guess who setup for defence only to realise he wasn't paying attention and was actually receiving? This guy, right here. Sigh. Relegation decider next.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • SpamSpam Registered User regular
    Season 2 of my local blood bowl league is starting this weekend, and I'm carrying forward my horribly bloated Norse team - 1700 TV! I should really fire a couple players, but I can guarantee that I'll have casualties left right and centre first match if I do.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Best Bloodbowl play ever, at least in my mind.

So its the first half, its dwarf against dwarf, its turn 5 or so, and the opposing player has the ball within 3 squares of the endzone, going to score next turn if I can't do something about it. Only guy that can do anything is the Agility 4 dwarf runner that is 7 squares away, that is in a tackle zone. I'm able to dodge out, go for it twice and blitz his runner (who was by himself), get the knock down, follow up, the ball scatters to me and I catch it out of the air. some other stuff happens, and then its his turn, with his runner on the ground, and my runner standing, and no one else around us. On his next turn he goes for some safe two dice blocks on some of my players to free up a couple of his, he has to use a re-roll once on a double skull, then time to get the runner, he gets two more guys down there, then stands up and blitzes with his runner, and rolls double skulls again, Turnover and my runner is still standing with the ball!

Here comes the ace up my sleeve, I have a dwarf blitzer about halfway down the the oposing half, so my dwarf runner dodges out of double coverage, goes for it and gets within range of a long pass to the blitzer. Throws the pass, is accurate, and the blitzer catches the ball and is able to run within a couple squares of his endzone, and there are no opposing players within 10 squares of him, was able to score the next turn. It was a thing of beauty.

TL;DR, Dwarves passing, WTF?

webguy20 on
    I had a witch elf go up two skill levels tonight! Started with 2 SPPs, scored 3 times and got MVP. Now, what to give her....

Ugh. Semifinals, winner goes on to championships. Up 1-0 against the Nurgle player. Try to heave the ball down the field to a witch elf, he intercepts with a rotter, goes on to score. In OT, try to heave the ball down the field to a witch elf in the end zone, he intercepts with a rotter, goes on to score. Just FML.

Was it the same Rotter both times? Damn that sucks.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Different Rotter each time, but yeah. Seeing those 6s come up was crushing. In the last 2 games I've tried three passes above a quick pass, and all three have been intercepted. I guess my team just doesn't like throwing the ball?

• GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    I don't think that those Rotters caught the ball; it just stuck to them.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, safe… ooze?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Hope this isn't reviving a dead thread but I was graciously gifted the game last week and though I'm beginning to love the mechanics, the game runs REALLY poorly on my machine.

I'm running 1gb video memory and 8gigs of RAM and just finished Tomb Raider with pretty high settings and no problems. However, the animations in Blood Bowl seem choppy, my inputs are delayed by a full second and everything looks muddy.

Is there some trick to make the game play smoothly? Honestly if I have to sacrifice detail quality that's fine. I just want the game to run smoothly.

You can turn down the resolution on some things - like grass, etc. - in the main menu. Makes the game run fine on my computer.

However, I have run into issues where the game is slow and laggy. Strangely enough, I can pause it, switch windows to something else, then come back, and it runs smooth again. I think the game has odd buffer issues.

Wow, the thread was slightly dead-ish. I wish I had more to say, my local league went belly up. Apparently a lot of Blood Bowl fans are NFL fans, so Sunday's didn't work out so well.

Comics, Games, Booze
    I run BB on a crappy system and it runs decent. maybe running in compatibility mode would help?

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Weep, weep for the fallen hero. A Smashed Collar bone means this 76 game veteran has to retire. Now only a single founding member is left on the team.

2z4wvtf.png

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Heya Bloodbowl thread!

Pre-orders begin tomorrow for the new starter set, at least at physical games workshops, maybe also online.

Apparently there is sweet swag if you pre-order at a retail store though.

Debating doing it tomorrow myself.

Inquisitor on
    I've been saving for the release. I'll be getting the box set and League book.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Ken O wrote: »
    I've been saving for the release. I'll be getting the box set and League book.

Have their been any figures in regards to the price of stuff? My google-fu is failing me.

Ken O wrote: »

Oooh and Skaven.

Skaven are my jam so happy to see that they are getting their team early on.

Well, Blood Bowl should be up for preorder everywhere now, so go get it!

Also, if you pre-order in-store (in the UK at least) you get the chance to win a cardboard standee, and the display pitch/pop-up stadium each store has.

In other news, turns out the game still plays great even with half a team each: in a short exhibition match today, the Gouged Eye rolled the Reikland Reavers 2-0 in blizzard conditions; electing to receive after winning the toss, the Gouged Eye managed to actually pass the ball, despite the conditions, to their blitzer who ran the ball home.
    The Reavers, after being embarrassed by the superb passing play of the Orcs, decided to show them how it's really done, sending their catcher wide on the right and setting their thrower up deep, anticipating a long kick by the Orcs.
    Unfortunately it wasn't to be; the Gouged Eye took a gamble on a wide kick on the Reavers' left and a lucky bounce brought the ball down practically on their Blitzer's head.
    Worse, the wide receiver turned out to be too wide and got KO'd by the fans after using some fancy footwork to dodge out of an Orc lineman's arms and right into the crowd. Struggling to recover the ball and a man down, the Humans tried to out-Orc the greenskins, smashing their blitzer and nabbing the ball. However, with their catcher out and the blizzard still raging, they seemed confused as to what to do next, running the ball behind their own lines to try to get to the still-open right widezone but managing to leave a hole for the Orcs to punch through and get to the ball carrier. Still, the ball bounced favourably for the Reavers and they were all set to begin a slog of a running play when their blitzer slipped on a patch of slush, turning over to the Orcs who blitzed the now-unguarded carrier off the ball and sent in their lone thrower to scoop the ball in the Reavers' own end-zone at the last minute.

The U.S. Stores should have the standee and pop up pitch too. I'm very impressed with the dice and templates. Having two sets of Block dice in the core set is really nice. I ordered a core box and Deathzone. I just didn't see myself playing adjacent any time soon.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The new skill they've given gutter runners, only effect is to increase the chance of a MNG over a badly hurt. So no benefit to the Skaven player within his game whatsoever, only more aggravation and frustration for their opponent in the long term. Plus they admit they only gave it the skill because the models had knives.

That's some bad game design right there.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Preordered one of everything from my flgs, hope they can actually come through on the skaven dice; they were apparently all gone from GW's web store in minutes.…

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The new skill they've given gutter runners, only effect is to increase the chance of a MNG over a badly hurt. So no benefit to the Skaven player within his game whatsoever, only more aggravation and frustration for their opponent in the long term. Plus they admit they only gave it the skill because the models had knives.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what they've changed about Gutter Runners from your post.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what they've changed about Gutter Runners from your post.

They've given them a new skill 'weeping blades'. Its effect is to bump a Badly Hurt (miss the rest of the match) injury they inflict up to also missing the next game on a 4+.

So for the Skaven player it has no benefit at all. The opposing player was going to miss the rest of the match whatever and all injuries provide the same xp. All it does it add extra frustration to the opponent.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

They've given them a new skill 'weeping blades'. Its effect is to bump a Badly Hurt (miss the rest of the match) injury they inflict up to also missing the next game on a 4+.

So for the Skaven player it has no benefit at all. The opposing player was going to miss the rest of the match whatever and all injuries provide the same xp. All it does it add extra frustration to the opponent.

You see, when I played as Skaven, I'd try level them up to go after ball carriers (as I found they were very good scorers anyway), with Wrestle and then either Dauntless or Horns.

So for the way I play at any rate, it is a bit of a buff, although I'll agree it might not be a lot of fun to be on the receiving end of such a thing.

PSN Fleety2009