As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics Thread

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Here's something positive:

Greg Pak just get's Superman. Really enjoying Action Comics.

Right? It's perfect. Just the right amount of old Superman, but with the headstrong nature of Morrison's early New 52 Superman. Lana's great too.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Pak's Action Comics is quickly climbing up the list of my favorite DC books. It's not at the level of Wonder Woman & Earth 2 at the top*. But it's reaching that 2nd tier Animal Man/Swamp Thing level if this greatness continues for issues upon issues.

*I had Batwoman right up here too, but fuck DC Editorial.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Here's something positive:

Greg Pak just get's Superman. Really enjoying Action Comics.

Right? It's perfect. Just the right amount of old Superman, but with the headstrong nature of Morrison's early New 52 Superman. Lana's great too.
    Also in superman/batman somebody tells him there is no other way to save the day but killing and something weird happened. Instead of not being able to respond or argue and proving the pessimist correct in the end superman says "there is always a way" and then hefinds another way.

Weird.

Quire.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    oh hey, new information about Justice League Canada, and suddenly I'm more interested in an upcoming DC title than I have been in a long time.

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2013/12/29/jeff_lemire_brings_justice_league_superheroes_to_canada.html
    He’s now bringing the superhero gang, Justice League of America, to Canada. Justice League of Canada launches in May, much to the chagrin of some American readers, who can’t understand why their fearless defenders must head north for an extended stay.

It’s a geeky controversy likely to bring more eyeballs to the series. They’ll see their heroes put in a good day’s work against alien invaders, in an environment Lemire hopes will deepen their understanding of Canadian culture and identity.

The action takes place in northern Ontario, in the largely Cree communities of Moosonee and Moose Factory, just south of James Bay. Isolation, a theme that runs through Lemire’s work, is a fact of life in these towns, which are not accessible by road.

Lemire won’t reveal the complete makeup of the superhero team just yet. Animal Man and Green Arrow will be there, and the big three — Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman — won’t. The iconic characters that do appear will be helped by a new Canadian superhero Lemire has created.

She’s a 16-year-old Cree girl attending a Moosonee high school. It’s too early to divulge her powers, name or costume, but a recent trip Lemire made to the area gave him the idea for her qualities.

He discovered what First Nations call the “Teachings of the Seven Grandfathers,” based on the words wisdom, love, respect, bravery, honesty, humility and truth.

“I thought, Oh my God — that’s the archetype for a great superhero,” he says, sitting in his cosy Toronto studio in Leslieville.

“If I’m going to do something in Canada, addressing our First Nations is important because it’s a side of our Canadian identity that’s often overlooked,” adds Lemire, who has a 5-year-old son. “I also felt that First Nations youth could use a positive role model — they have so many hardships.”

Lemire visited schools in Moosonee and Moose Factory. He helped students draw and got their thoughts on the kind of superpowers his Cree hero should have. They’ll be based, he says, on the myths of First Nations along the James Bay coast.

DC Comics also plans a contest in which Moosonee and Moose Factory students draw their favourite superhero and write the traits and powers they should have. The work will appear at the back of the Justice League of Canada comic books and on DC’s blog.

“When I was growing up, I didn’t know anyone involved in the arts,” says Lemire, who heads to James Bay for more research in February. “It didn’t seem like a realistic goal. Everyone was either a farmer or a factory worker.

“It’s important, especially in isolated communities, for people to come in and show kids that, yes, you can tell stories for a living; you can be creative for a living.”

Lemire works at a frantic pace, juggling several projects. For DC alone he’s writing three comic books a month, a total of 60 pages. So far, he’s produced six Justice League of Canada issues..

“If I create a cool character,” he says of his Cree hero, “50 years from now there could be other writers still writing this character. That would be neat — they’ll live on past me.”

And if one day that character lives through a writer from a First Nation, “That would be the biggest win of all.”

A properly researched and non-stereotyped First Nations character is as badly needed and potentially cool a concept as the new Ms. Marvel, to me, and those seven Teachings do sound like a fantastic superhero archetype.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Eh, just sounds a lot like mixing Alpha Flight in there.

Just have Will Sasso and Dave Foley show up as gangsters, that's a side of Canada that hasn't been explored yet.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    :/

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    A properly researched and non-stereotyped First Nations character is as badly needed and potentially cool a concept as the new Ms. Marvel, to me, and those seven Teachings do sound like a fantastic superhero archetype.

As much as DC has fucked up in the past few years and given me every reason to want nothing to do with them anymore, when I see something like this there is still a part of me that hopes "Maybe this is DC finally getting their shit together and turning things around," instead of the more likely "Well, even a broken watch is right twice a day...let's hope they don't ruin it within six months."

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I just hope it works out better than their last drawing contest.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    this isn't a drawing contest in a sense of "YOU can be the next person to ape the DC house style in objectifying a female character", it's giving a bunch of kids from remote and often quite impoverished villages a chance to not only see a superhero that looks like them, but to have their drawings in the back of a major comic book.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I'm looking at some scans that BC posted about comics released this week and I have a question:

Did Gail Simone really put in an Oracle sit-in in The Movement?

fixed

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    booo

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Sinestro gets an ongoing, by Cullen Bunn and Dale Eaglesham

CYpGAPn.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I figure that if DC actually does shuffle up most of their books and creators for April, pure probability will give us at least 2-3 good ones.

Also, I'll give the Sinestro book a try but I'm getting a little burnt out on Lantern titles these days.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    They should get rid of Larfleeze and do a Rogues ongoing

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    One of those people who poke around the DC website looking for advance info says we're also getting Aquaman & The Others, Secret Origins and Justice League United.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Sinestro gets an ongoing, by Cullen Bunn and Dale Eaglesham

Given Bunn's past history of writing company characters I wonder what uninteresting subplot from the previous writer he's going to run into the ground

BC is reporting that John Laymanis off Batman Eternal

CYpGAPn.png
    To show how out of the loop I am with DC these days, what was the big deal about Detective #27 this week? So it's the first appearance of Batman in the old universe, we see Batman all the time in the DCNU where none of that shit matters anymore.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    the fact that he originally first appeared in the original Detective 27 is the only reason its a big deal.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Seems stupider when you remember that they didn't use the reboot to make a big deal about a new Action #1.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The new Detective #27 is significant because it's the 75th anniversary of the original Detective #27. They didn't make a big deal about Action #1 because they missed the 75th anniversary of the original Action #1 by two years.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

all writing duties fall solely to Scott Lobdell now

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

all writing duties fall solely to Mad libs by undereducated children now

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    1389650682000-XXX-FLS-ANN-3.jpg
    and he looks SUPER dumb.

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    tumblr_m0xz5aBFyA1qzvnpdo1_500.jpg

DC is also doing a special Batman vs. Bane one-shot, only two years after it would have been relevant!

1389650682000-XXX-FLS-ANN-3.jpg
    and he looks SUPER dumb.

Maybe it'll look okay when drawn by a good artist and not Brett Booth?

No, probably not.

The Vendetti/Van Jensen team has done pretty well on GLC, to a point where they've very much fixed John Stewart and made him a real, 3-dimensional character again. I do think the GL books are a little stale right now, but the character restoration of John has been my favorite thing about them by far.

At the same time, I am not at all sure I want to pick Flash back up for this, although I may grab an eventual trade.

Also, Secret Origins sounds fucking idiotic.

New origins for characters who have had origin arcs (Superman, Supergirl), origin issues (Zero issues), flashback issues (Zero Year tie-ins), and even occasionally flashbacks in Villain's month issues. So, so dumb.

DC is not batting very well with these announcements so far. Although I'll pick Superman up again for JRjr art, unless the writer is truly awful.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Secret Origins? Didn't we get the origins when DC relaunched....do we need them already?

Nice to see that Wally is finally coming back....sadly I got zero faith in DC doing anything proper with him since he's not the icon that Barry is in Didio's view.

Wait, JR jr is finally doing DC work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_7P9Ce9Uc

They should've just used the Dark Flash/Walter West costume.

Yeah, Tex. He said so last summer during convention season, but it's been up in the air which title he would land on. Bleeding Cool says it will be Superman in April, which... pretty much unless he's taking over Unchained after Lee is done (and that book isn't just cancelled like it had been a limited series), that's the only real option. The new twist is that BC said he was getting a AAA writer a week or so ago. But I expect we'll hear the reveal tomorrow, because I think solicits are supposed to be out tomorrow.

I don't want JRjr art

• RansRans Registered User regular
    neither do i

it's okay, they'll just get Al Plastino's ghost to redraw the faces

You guys are a bummer.

I love JRjr, but I do think he only works on certain franchises. Still, Superman is definitely up his alley, all the Kirby-esque stuff is there for him to tackle (New Gods, Nu52 OMAC, Frankenstein, etc.), he could probably do a decent full Justice League if the story was right, and in moderation I think he would work really well on a short, single Batman or Wonder Woman story.

All in all, he's the only "new" thing DC has left that I'm excited to see in play.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Yeah, Tex. He said so last summer during convention season, but it's been up in the air which title he would land on. Bleeding Cool says it will be Superman in April, which... pretty much unless he's taking over Unchained after Lee is done (and that book isn't just cancelled like it had been a limited series), that's the only real option. The new twist is that BC said he was getting a AAA writer a week or so ago. But I expect we'll hear the reveal tomorrow, because I think solicits are supposed to be out tomorrow.

Does DC have any AAA writers left?

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Does DC have any AAA writers left?

Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, Brian Azzarello

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I saw someone on /co/ suggest that Brad Meltzer could potentially just come back whenever.

That's probably something that would keep me off a JRjr Superman book.

This discussion has been closed.