As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Resistance: Avalon] Evil Wins. Arthur strangled. Merlin indicted for campaign fraud.

Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Critical Failures
So, let's try this out. The Resistance is a game of social deduction some or most of you are already familiar with, so I'm not going to repeat the rules. The Resistance: Avalon is basically a sequel or spiritual successor that adds various characters who spin the game in some interesting ways.

It's the days of Camelot, but Arthur's rule isn't going very well. There are threats aplenty, requiring brave and loyal knights to go on Quests. Five Quests, specifically. If the loyal servants of Arthur can succeed at three of the five Quests, Camelot is stabilized and the glorious somewhat benevolent rule of an unelected monarch can continue. But amongst Arthur's Knights are various servants of evil, who want to bring down his reign and place the wicked Mordred on the throne. If they can fail three of the five Quests, Arthur is overthrown.

We'll go for the full 10 players, meaning six loyal servants of Arthur and four minions of Mordred.

The special characters are...

Merlin: On the side of Good. Merlin knows who the Minions of Mordred are. If, however, the Minions of Mordred can guess his identity at the end of the game (they get one shot to do so), Merlin is assassinated and Evil wins. Even if Good succeeded at three of the five quests. This is very important. If Merlin dies, Good loses.

Percival: On the side of Good. Percival's job is to protect Merlin, as best as he can. At the start of the game, he'll know who Merlin is. Well, he'll have a 50/50 shot at knowing who Merlin is. See below for "Morgana."

Mordred: Mordred is like any of the other evil characters, but he is invisible to Merlin's magic and unknown to him at the start of the game.

Morgana: Morgana's purpose is to confuse Percival. She registers as Merlin to Percival at the start of the game. She is otherwise the same as any other Evil character.

Oberon: The demonic faerie Oberon is generally dickish enough to qualify as Team Evil, but he doesn't play well with others - he's unknown to the rest of the Evil team.

To summarize, there will be six Loyal Servants of Arthur, one of whom is Merlin and one of whom is Percival.
There will be four Minions of Mordred, one of whom is Mordred, one of whom is Morgana, one of whom is Oberon, and finally one is the Assassin and gets final say on who Team Evil picks out as Merlin at the end of the game.

ALL conversation and discussion must take place in this thread. No private message communications between one another; that would defy the spirit and vitiate the whole purpose of a social deduction game.

If you don't know the Resistance, the basic rules are:

Every turn, there will be a Team Leader. He picks Knights to go on a Quest. Then everyone votes (publicly but simultaneously) to approve or disapprove that team. Note: If after five votes, no team is approved, Evil wins. But this almost never happens since a simple majority or a tie means "Approval."

Once the team is selected, they will each secretly either play a "Success" or "Fail." Even one Fail means the Quest fails - except for Quest 4, which requires two failures. If you are on the side of Good, you must play Success. If you are on the side of Evil, you have your choice and for various purposes an Evil player may not want to sabotage a Quest.

If a vote fails, Team Leader passes to the next player. If a Quest goes forward, Team Leader passes to the next player.

One last wrinkle is the Lady of the Lake. The player next to the Team Leader starts with the token. Immediately after the resolution of Quests 2, 3 or 4, he can play the Lady of the Lake on any other player to see their loyalty. Not their character, mind you, just whether or not they are on Team Evil or Team Good. The character who was targeted gets the Token and can play it the next time it is available for play.

Procedure: Votes go to me via PM and then I'll reveal all simultaneously. Success/Fail plays to me via PM and then I'll reveal and probably do some lame descriptive fiction of the Quest. By tradition, the Team Leader can describe what Quest he's sending his Knights on. By convention, these should be funny.

The Order of Play is: Sokpuppet, Kaneski, Davoid, Mikey CTS, Hedgethorn, Jdarksun, Kirindal, Megamek, Phyphor, Rhan9. If a vote fails, team leadership passes to the next player in line.

The Book of Deeds
Quest 1: Success!
Knights: Kaneski, Davoid, Rhan9.
Quest 2: Failure!
Knights: Kaneski, Davoid, Rhan9, Sokpuppet.
Quest 3: Failure!
Knights: Phyphor, Kirindal, megamek, Mikey CTS
Quest 4: Failure!
Knights: jdarksun, Rhan9, Phyphor, Hedgethorn, Megamek

CURRENT SCORE: The Resistance 1, The Government 1

Medieval Democracy
Quest 1, Vote 1 Results: Mission Approved.
Sokpuppet proposed: {Kaneski, Davoid, Rhan9}
AYES: Megamek, Kirindal, JDarksun, Sokpuppet, Rhan9, Hedgethorn.
NAYS: Davoid, Kaneski, Phyphor, Mikey CTS

====================================
Quest 2, Vote 1 Results: Mission Rejected.
Kaneski proposed: {Hedgethorn, Kirindal, Rhan9, Jdarksun}
AYES: Davoid, Sokpuppet, Rhan9.
NAYS: Kirindal, Megamek, Jdarksun, Phyphor, Hedgethorn, Mikey CTS, Kaneski.

=====================================
Quest 2 Vote 2 Results: Mission Approved.
Davoid proposed: {Kaneski, Davoid, Rhan9, Sokpuppet}
AYES: Davoid, MikeyCTS, Sokpuppet, Rhan9, Hedgethorn, Phyphor, Jdarksun
NAYS: Kaneski, Megamek, Kirindal

Quest 3, Vote 1 Results: Mission Rejected.
Mikey CTS proposed: {Mikey CTS, Jdarksun, Sokpuppet, Davoid}
AYES: Davoid, Mikey CTS, Phyphor, JDarksun, Megamek.
NAYS: Kaneski, Sokpuppet, Rhan9, Hedgethorn, Kirindal.
Quest 3, Vote 2 Results: Mission Approved.
Hedgethorn proposed: {Kirindal, Megamek, Mikey CTS, Phyphor}
AYES: Kiridal, Davoid, Hedgethorn, Megamek, Kaneski, Mikey CTS.
NAYS:Sokpuppet, Jdarksun, Phyphor, Rhan9.
======================================
Quest 4, Vote 1 Results: Mission Approved
Jdarksun proposed: {jdarksun, Rhan9, Phyphor, Hedgethorn, Megamek}
AYES: Sokpuppet, Megamek, Davoid, Hedgethorn, Phyphor, Jdarksun and Mikey CTS.
NAYS: Kaneski, Kirindal, Rhan 9.

Professor Phobos on

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Sign me up!

!Signup

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Lying to people? How can I refuse?!

!Signup

• Options
    Might I also suggest including the obvious into the OP - that no private conversations except with you, oh great master of the game.

• Options
    I did say that! That was said!

• Options
    Right, that it was. I went from characters to basic rules without parsing the 'conversations' line. Apologies

• Options
    Kaneski wrote: »
    Right, that it was. I went from characters to basic rules without parsing the 'conversations' line. Apologies

I wrote the OP like Dan Brown rights bestselling novels. Which is to say, poorly.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    have you already figured out how you will deal with potential inactivity? This became an issue in a few past iterations I played in. People got upset when host had someone default an action and then..when they didn't do that, sometimes the person would never submit an action or vote ....

• Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'd be down,

!Signup

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Okay. sign up!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'll join.

!Signup

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    We have six out of ten so far. Four more slots!

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    !Signup for me.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    !Signup

Never been one to pass up a game of Resistance.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    signup

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Ho, last spot for me! signup

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Yay! I like this game!

rqv6.png
  • Options
    Everyone should have their loyalties. As first player, @Sokpuppet, you must select three Knights to go on Quest 1. You can select yourself. This is public information, just toss it into the thread. Bold your selections for clarity.

For future reference, with ten players, the pattern is 3-4-4-5-5 in terms of the Knights required.

The Lady of the Lake token goes to Kaneski. You can't use it until after Quest 2, however.

The Order of Play is: Sokpuppet, Kaneski, Davoid, Mikey CTS, Hedgethorn, Jdarksun, Kirindal, Megamek, Phyphor, Rhan9. If a vote fails, team leadership passes to the next player in line.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Alright, Minions of Mordrid come forward. Reveal yourselves now and I promise mercy at the end of the game.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    So do you guys usually accept or reject the first mission? I usually reject, to see if it gets any more info as it moves through leaders (who they choose, who votes what, might help suss out the spies/minions later on), but I'm wondering if that even makes a difference, ha ha.

rqv6.png
  • Options
    Generally speaking, not hurrying tends to benefit the good guys. There's just the 5 rejection limit that you want to watch out for.

• Options
    Yea... I think I'll see who is chosen and probably see if we can get any more info from that...

rqv6.png
  • Options
    There's not enough information for the first vote so I usually just let it slide. Unless of course I see something shady going down.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    In person, I like to spend the time before the first vote asking each player to look me in the eyes and tell me they're not a spy. But there's going to be less smirking and breaking character online.

That said, I already suspect MikeyCTS is a minion, given that he was the first player to post. Especially with that whole, "Minions of Mordred, reveal yourself!" line. Just a bit too in character, don't you know.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    In person, I like to spend the time before the first vote asking each player to look me in the eyes and tell me they're not a spy. But there's going to be less smirking and breaking character online.

That said, I already suspect MikeyCTS is a minion, given that he was the first player to post. Especially with that whole, "Minions of Mordred, reveal yourself!" line. Just a bit too in character, don't you know.

Mafia po... errg, minion post.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Always a deadlock of "you're a spy!" "you're the spy for accusing!"

Not enough info yet. I've lost many games by failing to recognize my team mates on the last mission, ha ha ha.

I think, because I can't see body language and just have to go by peoples reasoning, this'll be a really, really tough game, ha ha.

(I'll be the first to admit, i am easily fooled and easily swayed, let's hope that doesn't cost us the game)

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Yeah, this is going to be a tough game.

• Options
    Sorry, that last post of mine should have included a smiley or some other form of <tongue-in-cheek> tag. It wasn't meant to be a serious accusation of Mikey.

Note to self: My normally droll playstyle is going to be a bit tricky to pull off when playing by post.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    So, for when we get a team chosen, just know that I'll probably reject. Not because I don't trust anyone quite yet! It's more for the benefit of everyone getting some info than anything, if possible. Just laying that out there.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Let's just be honest... accusing people of being the bad guys is just good fun.

Hey yo @Sokpuppet you should totes take me on the mission. I heard about this awesome cave. A dragon used to live there. He's gone now, though. We can just get the gold and the kingdom will celebrate our great victory.
    Davoid wrote: »
    So, for when we get a team chosen, just know that I'll probably reject. Not because I don't trust anyone quite yet! It's more for the benefit of everyone getting some info than anything, if possible. Just laying that out there.

Oh I see the logic here... you send it round the table to see who everyone is picking to take. Yeah, I could get behind this. But doesn't that leave the door open for some tricksy double-bluffs? Still, more information is always good.

Edit: Or... are you covering for making minion votes? ... Paranoia has set in. The game is now truly afoot.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Oh for sure, it definitely does, especially now that everyone sees this conversation. I love this game, ha ha, because of all the mind games, but it does help to get a tiny bit of extra info (or get thrown off the trail by wizened-up spies!) I do think smart players generally win though, so even with that strategy out there, spies, by necessity, will have to slip up sooner or later. It's just pinpointing when. This is like Resistance, right? 4th round needs 2 fails?

We played a few games where we couldn't remember who picked who for what missions, so we had one person note down everything so we didn't have to remember ourselves... turns out in one game that person was a spy! And they just made some, er, slight errors to the record. That was a neat one.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Paranoia for errybody!

• Options
    edited January 2014
    My favourite part of the game! : >

However, we will have a bonafide, reviewable record of the teams and results, so this will be really interesting. Like, it'll be tougher for the spies to pull fast ones, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this goes. I've never played a forum version of this game before.

It's too early to have any suspicions yet, but, as always, more info generally helps. I'm really excited to see how table talk goes in this format, ha ha.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    With 60% of the group being knights and the minions usually not wanting to reveal themselves on the first mission, there's a good chance that whoever Sokpuppet sends will succeed. Since everyone knows that, there isn't a whole lot of information to be gleaned from voting patterns here. I'll probably just approve whatever group gets put together and see what happens.

• Options
    Good morning!
    Let's get to work.
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    There's not enough information for the first vote so I usually just let it slide. Unless of course I see something shady going down.

Unless Merlin is unusually crafty.

So... Mikey really does seem to be acting like a minion from where I sit. I agree with Hedgethorn.

To that end - tenuously suggest;

Sokpuppet, Kaneski, Davoid, Rhan9

What are people's thoughts on this?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Is the first mission four people? I thought it was three for the first mission.

Edit: No it is definitely three people.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    Oh. My mistake.

Suggest Kaneski Davoid, Rha9.

• Options
    Being the first quest, it's going to be a complete toss-up anyway. Might as well approve it.

Accept

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I also realize that rejecting a bunch of missions might make this game go really, really slowly, ha ha, as everyone is gonna hafta weigh in each mission.

I am pretty sure this group will be accepted, but I still do follow my protocols, ha ha: edit: removed in light of Hedge's most probably correct rules assessment.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png