As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a printer

Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..."a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
So, with the family printer dead and the backup printer also apparently dead, we need something new.

Stuff I pretty much need:
- Wireless printing. This isn't a 100% must, but I would have to buy a new USB cable because I guarantee whatever the printer comes with won't be long enough to reach the computer. If I do get one without wireless, it needs to be a front-loader.
- Copying/scanning

Stuff that would be nice but I don't need:
- Automatic duplex printing (the kind where it yanks it back in and prints on the other side)

Price point: Pretty sure the 'rents will balk at paying more than $200. (Maybe a good printer these days needs to be that much, though? This is the first time I am shopping for one in 5 years)

I tried looking on Newegg but it seems like the reviews are kind of all over the place (or maybe I wasn't drilling down categories right).

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
oE0mva1.jpg

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    This Epson WorkForce has gotten a lot of good reviews, don't have experience with it myself though.

Still chugging along with my HP 6980 that's 5 years+ now.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    If you don't need color printing, get a laser:
    http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-Wireless-Monochrome-HL2280DW/dp/B004QM8J8S/ref=zg_bs_172648_2

It even does duplex printing. How often do you all print stuff?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    Don't buy a printer. Save the trees and stuff. If you do have to buy a printer get a laser printer. Absolutely do not buy an inkjet. Pretty much can't go wrong with a wireless laserjet printer. Well, you have already done wrong by buying the printer. ;-)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kinkos.

Owning your own printer is a mug's game.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The OP is looking for a multi function, but also how do you handle stuff like address labels or tickets/coupons?

Oh, and I can't print until 8pm when daughter goes to bed. Got to get home to make dinner.

Just saying there are some use cases for having a printer.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Some people like to scan/print/copy and don't have a copy center that is convenient - for those people having a laser printer is a decent idea. The toner will last a long time (unlike inkjet ink that gets gummed up if you never print) and the printers are not that expensive.

You must be one o' them whippersnappers who keeps everything in the clouds!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The phrase "in the cloud" makes me break out in a cold sweat.

I still buy CDs...

I also have a wonderful Canon multifunction printer/scanner unit sitting next to me that hasn't been used in years because refilling the ink costs one hundred and fifty dollars.