As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need some advice on how to find a place to live.

mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I am not in an emergency situation, but I am in a situation that has become quite intolerable. Added onto that we've been kicking around relocating. Either way it is starting to become inescapable that my family and I need to find a new place to live within the next six months-ish. The difficulty is that we've been living in the same place (renting a house) for nearly eleven years. I don't know how to look for a new place to live. See, I'm old. I'm so old that the first time I ever looked for an apartment the place you looked was the classifieds in the newspaper-oh, or you went to Denny's or something and got one of those free little books full of apartment complexes. Now once time passed I did do some research on some apartment websites - forrent, I remember, apartments dot com, etc.

Another difficulty is I've been scammed before. Years ago we had this idea that we were going to rent a house with another couple. Ended up with a lot of listings for homes for rent that turned out to be fiction. Numbers led to this company who said, oh, that house isn't for rent anymore, but if you come into our office and pay this money we'll help you find someplace and we did because we're stupid and all they did was give us a list of addresses.

Another difficulty is it isn't just me and my husband anymore, we have three kids. I'd honestly prefer to rent a house.

Another possible difficulty is that we'd have to find someplace to rent in another state. We are not 100% on relocating but it may very well be that we'll have no choice in the matter. But when I looked into this on city-data there was a lot of complaining that you can't get a rental from out of state, you need impeccable credit (which we don't have), and even then it's really tough, etc.

Craigslist was the place for a long time, I think, but when I do searches on Craigslist for rentals right now in my area most of the listings are for cities at least ten miles away (even though I asked for my own city, because every damn ad adds text lists of every damn city in the county because obviously if I am looking for something in Huntington Beach I must be willing to settle for Fullerton or Mission Viejo, ugh) and I'm fairly sure that half of them are fake or scams or something. Way too much noise there. I looked a bit at zillow. Is that where you go now?

Please help, people who have rented during this decade!

v2zAToe.jpg
Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
mare_imbrium on

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    The last time I had to rent a place to live from scratch I used PadMapper.

http://www.padmapper.com/

• Options
    alltheolivealltheolive Registered User regular
    When last I was renting in California, I had more luck biking up and down streets with a cell phone and a notepad looking for rental signs. Possibly, this strategy works better for apartments.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    You can also try out www.zillow.com

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Apartment hunting is one of the few things Craigslist is good for.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Craigslist can be good. We have used rent.com before, and zillow is good as well.

Nothing beats driving around a neighborhood and looking for signs or just dropping in to apartment complexes though. We normally compile a list of places from the web, then check them out and whatever else we can find in the neighborhood.

• Options
    I appreciate the help. Just to vent about Craigslist though, when I put in a city here and specify 3br and check the box marked "cats" I get this just from today and yesterday:

Spoiler for huge:
    Jan 16 THREE Bedroom/TWO Bath. TONS of Storage! $2165 3br - 1063ft² - pic map

Jan 16 New Years Special. *View this amazing 3 bedroom 3 bathroom unit* $1500 / 3br - 1450ft² - (Fountain Valley) pic

Jan 16 $2184.00 3bd. 2 bath. Last one at this price. Large plan, Appliances. 3br - 1150ft² - (Orange County) pic map

Jan 15 All new interior-cabinets, flooring & quartz counters w/large patio $2285 / 3br - 1071ft² - pic map

Jan 15 RARE 3BR Townhome! Next to Pool, Laundry & Park Area! Spacious Plan! $2580 / 3br - 1153ft² - (Irvine, Woodbridge) pic map

Jan 15 Why rent a regular apt when you can rent a TOWNHOME!? 3 bed 2.5 bth $2405 / 3br - 1161ft² - (Irvine) pic map

Jan 15 OWN in Garden Grove 3bd/2ba * Only $1600 down * $1600 / 3br - (Garden Grove)

Jan 15 1st Time Home BUYERS!! 3bd/2ba OWN in Fullerton* Only $1,600 down * $1600 / 3br - (Fullerton)

Jan 15 Lovely Upgraded Condo with Attached Garage w Mission Viejo Lake Access $2450 / 3br - 1340ft² - (Mission Viejo) pic map

Jan 15 STOP RENTING! BUY in Garden Grove 3bd/2ba ** Only $1600 down $1600 / 3br - (Garden Grove/ Anaheim)

Jan 15 3 bedroom house located in the beautiful city of Fountain Valley $1900 / 3br - (Fountain Valley) map

Jan 14 1st Floor 3Bd/2Ba,Huge Patio w/Bonus Storage!Brand New Quartz! $2285 / 3br - 1071ft² - (Irvine/Windwood Glen) pic map

Jan 14 Ever Consider BUYING instead of renting?? $1600 only out of pocket! $1600 / 3br - (Cypress/ Buena Park)

Jan 14 Ever Consider BUYING instead of renting?? $1600 only out of pocket! $1600 / 3br - (Cypress/ Buena Park)

Jan 14 Ever Consider BUYING instead of renting?? Only 1600 down to OWN! $1600 / 3br - (Anaheim)

Jan 14 Lovely Upgraded Condo with Attached Garage w Mission Viejo Lake Access $2450 / 3br - 1340ft² - (Mission Viejo) pic map

Jan 14 Lovely Upgraded Condo with Attached Garage w Mission Viejo Lake Access $2450 / 3br - 1340ft² - (Mission Viejo) pic map

Jan 14 Anaheim Hills View Condo attached 2 car garage $2350 / 3br - 1600ft² - (Anaheim Hills) pic map

Jan 14 ☆☆☆☆Anaheim Hills View Condo attached 2 car garage $2350 / 3br - 1600ft² - (Anahiem Hills) pic map

Of that giant list, only TWO of those listings actually claim to be IN the city that I searched for, and neither one has an address listed, which makes me think they are actually fake listings. The other ads that are actually FOR rental properties are ALL for cities nowhere near the city I searched for. I mean, I know in Orange County all the cities are all smushed up against each other, but they aren't even for cities that share a border with the city I entered into the parameter. That's just for Jan 14-15 but the whole thing is like that. It's very frustrating.

v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Those all sound like they are just realtors trolling for business. Given this, why not just get a reputable realtor to find a place for you? I haven't done this myself but a friend just moved city and I think that's what he did to get a place to rent. The realtor showed him places, she didn't just hand him a list of properties. You don't pay upfront - you pay when you rent a place. At least that's how I think it works, I'm getting this second hand.

I don't know why idiot brokers think is is a good idea to post the same home 26 times in a row. Usually in ALL CAPS.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I could ask some people about that who used to be involved in RE, if that is something that is done out here and how much it might cost. I'm sure it would probably cost something if you want someone to actually do work on your behalf since I'm not sure how they would make commission on the deal like they would for a sale.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Try googling for some property management firms in your area and check their website.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    You might want to see if your area has a realty site like http://www.mrishomes.com/. I felt like it gave us a real leg up when we were searching. It's probably worth speaking to a few realtors.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I could ask some people about that who used to be involved in RE, if that is something that is done out here and how much it might cost. I'm sure it would probably cost something if you want someone to actually do work on your behalf since I'm not sure how they would make commission on the deal like they would for a sale.

They do make commission on the deal. You don't pay before they find you a place. If they ask you to pay upfront they are probably scammers.

A quick google reveals that it probably varies by city.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/typical-commission-real-estate-agent-charges-rental-44332.html

So yea, contact your ex-realtor friends. Even better,ask them for recs for current good realtors if they still have friends in the biz. Realtors are often sleazebags, so a personal rec can do wonders.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I've used apartmentfinder before. Google it. It worked well.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Classifieds are still an alright place to look. Sometimes there will be rentals listed that aren't online (increasingly rare, but it happens).

aTBDrQE.jpg