As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSO2] Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is essentially PSO3!

AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur.Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
edited June 2021 in MMO Extravaganza
Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is available to download HERE or on Steam! Also available on Xbox stuffs!

Confusingly PSO2: New Genesis is basically PSO3. It is a sperate game (run from the same launcher), it takes place a 1000 years after PSO2, it has fancier graphics and open worlds and all sorts of other stuff. Technically it is an "expansion" but, like, for real it kind of isn't in practice.

Check it out!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
Axen on

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    You got my hopes up. Please don't do that. :P

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    You got my hopes up. Please don't do that. :P

Hah, I was afraid of that.

Honestly with all the work the fans have done Sega may as well write them a fucking check and just make it the official US release.

Apart from some Engrish and some Moonspeak there is literally no reason to not be playing this right now (and Hell, I personally love the Engrish). Latency is not an issue, everything of import is translated, it already has the 4 races and myriad of classes available (US release will only have 3 races and 3 classes at the start and I fear the rest will be behind a paywall).

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The last time I tired this they broke the translation patch with the inclusion of an anti-cheat and I couldn't make out anything that was going on.

I quit shortly thereafter thinking the US release would come soon enough. . .

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Well I can say that the translation patches work again. Or at the very least launching the game from PSO2 Tweaker makes them work. There are 3 (maybe 4) translation patches that need to be downloaded. The PSO2 Tweaker will automatically do all but the Story translation since that one is a whopping 2.5 gigs. Though once you have it downloaded (the Tweaker even provides a link to it) the Tweaker will then install it for you.

Glad you mentioned the anti-cheat system as it reminded me of something important.

Their anti-cheat system is kind of insane (okay, probably just plain insane). While the game is running it literally blocks your ability to load webpages. Why they do this I haven't the foggiest, however once again the PSO2 Tweaker comes in to play and has an option to launch Chrome so that you can still surf the web.

IMHO I've no need of a NA release. It serves no purpose to me. About the only thing I'd get out of it that I don't have now is flavor text on item descriptions and quest board missions. Hell, while the PSO fanbase is dedicated it is also niche so I can't imagine the NA version would even have its own separate servers.

• Options
    Pfft. Lots of people dont want separate servers anyways, because historically that has always resulted in getting the short end of the stick.

If the translation patch has improved that much, I may have to give this another go - it has three major pluses for me:
    1) Nostalgia. Offline Ep I + II was something I played with my brother for hours on end.
    2) The combat system is fun as hell
    3) One of the best character creators out there, period... though outfits are sadly a big step back from PSU games

• Options
    I will give this another go. PSO on the DC and GC was some good times.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I play this off and on with the translation tweaker.

Some general thoughts:

-The Hiragana captcha is not that hard. I believe in you.

-If you are afraid of the language barrier, the translation really does make the game pretty painless. It doesn't translate absolutely everything but it does enough.

-The tweaker is a pretty easy to use piece of software. It will patch the game client for you and keep all your ducks in a row, is very diligent about checking for updates and automatically downloading things for you when you run it, or telling you where to get them.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I will try this when I get home, I think.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I personally find the game really fun and there is a ton of things in place to keep you wanting to come back. Note I said "wanting" not "needing". A subtle distinction many MMOs fail to grasp.

It is the most MMO-y not MMO I've played and I mean that in a good way.

Axen on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Ok I got past the captcha and I think its installing.
    Has 3 bars and says Checking as well as Downloading.

Will give it a bit and ask if I run into anything I cant figure out.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I literally spent a thousand hours on the GC PSO. Like, seriously.

So basically, count me in.

• Options
    I am installing, after navigating that captcha that had symbols that are different when typed I guess?

Have 3 bars slowly filling with blue.

• Options
    Yeah the download speed for me was decidedly slower than I was use to. The bars will sit for a long while and then suddenly shoot up, then sit, and repeat.

• Options
    Alright, I think I have all the english fun times set up, so once I get back from other stuff tonight... Killing times!

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm curious to see what Mr. Badwrong says about this (mis)adventure....

26904.png
  • Options
    I'll be on now. Ship 2 'Ur'. Dude's name is Axen Moon.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm creating a character, is the menu supposed to be in english with the patch up above?

I had a lot of uhh weird things and I was pressing buttons and typing in stuff and finally ended up at character creation, but I'm not really sure what I did.

I didn't pay attention and didn't download the actual English patch. fixed.

Oh I see, it was the friend invitation system, Axen, would you like to do that so we can get the "gifts" (or anyone really) I'll need your player ID though.

Retaba on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Axen should be my player ID, at least according to my ID card.

Edit- Couple of things to note:

There are three types of currency; Mesta, AC, and FUN. Mesta is basically just gold, AC is the real money funbux, and FUN is a neat little currency you get for doing fun things and being a fun person. FUN can be spent of novelty stuff, costumes, and so on nothing related to gameplay (that I can tell).

Block/Dodge (not everyone gets block I think) are super important. Not getting hit is the best armor and it pretty much falls on to you to ensure you don't get hit. This means that you can take on enemies a bit more stronger then yourself and still have a fighting chance.

There are three (maybe four?) types of "quests". Your standard Quest Board mission, Client Orders, and Emergency (and Daily, but not sure if they are effectively Client Orders). You can only have one Quest/Emergency and one Client Order at a time. Quest Board missions are standard fare though vary in objectives (kill this, capture that, find this) and are repeatable. It is important to remember that your mission becomes Complete the moment you, well, complete the objective. This means that the zone will no longer spawn enemies. Client Orders are not unlike Quests, often they have much the same goal, however you get these from actual NPCs (and do enough of them for the NPC and you will be able to recruit them for missions). Client Orders will not end your current mission like completing Quests do. Client Orders seem to reward you much better, but are not repeatable. Emergency missions pop up randomly. There will be an emergency server wide broadcast describing what is going down and calling for all Arks members to return to the fleet. The quest giver NPC will have the mission details. These missions require teamwork and sometimes the entire progress of all the players on your server count towards its completion.

Eventually you will be told about Free Zones and be directed to take the Client Order that unlocks one. Free Zones are basically all the zones of a planet unlocked and going on a Free Zone exploration mission allows you to, well, explore the world. Random, sometimes weird, things may happen while you are free roaming. The game will throw spur of the moment quests at you (that don't end your mission when completed). There is an objective in Free Zone, get to the final area. When you do. . . well, prepare for a fight.

edit 2- Oh, when you complete a standard Quest Board mission objective there is no need to "turn in" the quest. The second you return to your CampShip you will get your mission debrief and reward. Client Orders however DO need to be returned.

Axen on
  • Options
    It said no such player

• Options
    Retaba wrote: »
    It said no such player

:(

Maybe try just axen (all lower case).

Either way, oh well no biggie.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Oh I see, go back to the server menu and go in one, right before character select, there is a friend invitation with a number that you give.

Retaba on
  • Options

Well how bout that.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Grinders!

You will find these or receive them as rewards occasionally. They are important!

You use Grinders to upgrade your weapons or armor (called Units) at the item assembly NPC person.

Upgrading a weapon/unit will use up 1 Grinder and cost a couple hundred Mesta.

Be warned! The more you upgrade the weapon/unit the higher the chance that the process will fail which will send the weapon/unit's level back one (+5 to +4).

Luckily the menu will tell you if it is Certain, Safe, Warned, or will straight fail. Certain and Safe are 100% success rate (as I understand it), but the rest come with a certain %chance of failure.

Also at this NPC you can combine to like items in to one, thus combining certain buffs or attack types.

Oh, right, by the way some weapons come with an elemental enchantment.

You may notice that you always find the same named weapons (Pole, Talis for instance), but take a closer look at them! They are not all created equal. They'll have the same base stats, but some might have 1, 2, 3, or more buffs and they may come with different elemental enchants (of varying strengths).

edit-

And yes, what Retaba mentioned about the friend system is true.

When you are at the menu after the start menu there should be an option called "Friend System". It will have your ID number there. Apparently we need that to make friends.

I've also created a Team (guild) for us called Arcadian Exiles. It should prove an easier way to keep track of each other. I cannot remember where the NPC is you have to talk to to join a Team, but you do have to send in an application.

Axen on
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    ... and FUN is a neat little currency you get for doing fun things and being a fun person. FUN can be spent of novelty stuff, costumes, and so on nothing related to gameplay (that I can tell).

I actually think there are xp/droprate boosts that can be bought from the FUN vendor with points, and these/other useful items are possible drops from the FUN scratch-offs. So, not totally cosmetic.

• Options
    Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Been messing around on this game with bwrong and delph a bit. This has been a blast love the combat, still trying to find good spots for my block and dodge keys though. ATM shift is block and middle mouse click is dodge, doesn't help that I use capslock as my ptt (no judging! >.<)

Oh yea is the team bit hidden behind a level req? Or do I just need to find this mysterious NPC?

Sionnach Rua on
    FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • Options
    I highly recommend playing with a controller. It does make aiming guns and using the hotbar a bit clunkier but for melee combat it's pretty great.

• Options
    Techter and Braver sound interesting. Opinions?

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    I'm seeing why this is basically sci-fi monster hunter that came before monster hunter. It has a lot more RPG elements than MH, but enough of the basic concepts to have the same satisfying and rewarding gameplay.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    In the Ark Ship there are kiosks with a floating purple '?' above them. These have the option to search for Teams that are recruiting. Arcadian Exiles should be on page 2 of that search.

edit- Also at that same kiosk you can search the AH and register as a 'Friend Partner'.

You'll want to register as a Friend Partner as it basically makes a recruitable NPC version of your dude that other players can bring along on adventures. You receive FUN anytime that happens.

Axen on
  • Options
    In the Ark Ship there are kiosks with a floating purple '?' above them. These have the option to search for Teams that are recruiting. Arcadian Exiles should be on page 2 of that search.

edit- Also at that same kiosk you can search the AH and register as a 'Friend Partner'.

You'll want to register as a Friend Partner as it basically makes a recruitable NPC version of your dude that other players can bring along on adventures. You receive FUN anytime that happens.

You also get FUN when you bring someone along, too.

I got hard mode and subclasses unlocked, which put me at 21 Br/7 Fo atm. Resta ftw!

• Options
    Oh man, the weapons in this game can really change how you play.

• Options
    Oh man, the weapons in this game can really change how you play.

Yeah, they can.

Oh, a couple must-have skills for some classes:
    Ranger - Get weak bullet. The damage increase to the hitbox you put it on is obscene. Probably the single best skill in the game for downing bosses (assuming the whole party can hit the spot you mark).
    Force - PP Charge Restore. Having PP recharge while charging techs is a godsend. A shame it's a ways into fire, but...

And one little gem - Force cards let you fire techs from a remote location. Razonde shoots a downward cone of lightning. Firing from a card high in the air results in a MASSIVE AoE.

• Options
    Downloading the game is taking a while. Eventually I'll get there.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Downloading the game is taking a while. Eventually I'll get there.

Get in TS3 with me and Axen sometime!

488W936.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

I don't see it there? Like I can search for the team normally and find it but it's not marked as looking for members. If I do that though my only option is to send you a PM?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    oh whats the TS3 info? I was doing the ghost vent with delph and bwrong

whats yer name in the game core?

Sionnach Rua on
    FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I stopped playing this a while back, but I've been hankering for something else to do. Time to patch everything again...

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    oh whats the TS3 info? I was doing the ghost vent with delph and bwrong

whats yer name in the game core?

I do not presently play Phantasy Star Online 2. That might change if Axen's salesmanship persists. I play a lot of MMOs at a time so what's one more to the shuffle eh?

The TS3 info can be found in the PA Vent server thread OP stickied at the top of Games and Technology. It's the public PA server. All the people who congregated together on the PA GW2 TS3 server after getting burnt out on GW2 eventually switched to the public server, so now it's pretty hopping most nights.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    mm, can't wait to hit up wildstar with ya! And this one possibly ahaha. Geeet patched skaroo! (hmm I will figure out how to spell my random noise for you eventually, until then later kangaroo!)

Sionnach Rua on

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

I don't see it there? Like I can search for the team normally and find it but it's not marked as looking for members. If I do that though my only option is to send you a PM?

Oh sorry about that. I changed it from open recruitment as there are now several of us how can straight up recruit. Figured one of us would've been online. :P

It is changed now so it should pop up on the list. Second page.