As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hello, Commander. XCOM: Enemy Within. Expansion out everywhere, prepare to die.

1323334353638»

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I was basically alone in this opinion but I thought the Bureau sounded really cool

I would love a tactical shooter about 1950s FBI agents investigating greys

There's... not a ton of investigation, I guess. It's mostly "this huge thing happened, go check it out." Which is XCOM, basically. I think it would have been more interesting if it was "the enemy is among us, do detective work and find them". I'd like to see them do that, ramp up the suspense and dial back on the action.

But like I said, I think they wanted more "be an XCOM Soldier" than "be an XCOM Spook".

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Oh my god

I heard you guys mentioning Newfoundland a bunch, but I've only just started playing through EW/slightshot for the first time, doing CI.

I ended up with Newfoundland with ballistic weapons and no armor (which mostly only matters for movement increasing ones, not the hp gain).

That was horrifying. I lost my superhero assault on the ship because I overlooked one spot they could leap up, and he was standing right next to it, and got surprise eviscerated for my oversight :(

Slightshot sure does catapult your tech though holy crap. I...don't know if I'm going to ever use that again. Maybe if I get frustrated with I/I I'll use it, but that seems way too strong otherwise.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Slightshot sure does catapult your tech though holy crap. I...don't know if I'm going to ever use that again. Maybe if I get frustrated with I/I I'll use it, but that seems way too strong otherwise.

Slingshot accelerates your tech because on anything above normal it's a shitrat motherfucker. Fuck that fucking train mission right the fuck to fuck.

• Options
    also it's kind of not reaaaaaally that big of a jump. It depends on
    A. how many mutons spawn
    B. how many you capture

You can get one random one (that can also be a chrysalid on the first mission, then I think there are three on the train mission. If you captured all of those you'd probably get plasma weaponry in one day or something stupid. You can get a blaster launcher by doing the whole thing sure, but the blaster launcher is more Neat Thing than Game Changer.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Why spring for the blaster when I have way more important shit to research?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    also it's kind of not reaaaaaally that big of a jump. It depends on
    A. how many mutons spawn
    B. how many you capture

You can get one random one (that can also be a chrysalid on the first mission, then I think there are three on the train mission. If you captured all of those you'd probably get plasma weaponry in one day or something stupid. You can get a blaster launcher by doing the whole thing sure, but the blaster launcher is more Neat Thing than Game Changer.

It's all council missions with set spawns, though. Once you know the maps and CYBERDISC SURPRISE, it's all a piece of goddamm cake. You can have Plasma Weapons before Mutons show up proper if you capture the one in Friends in Low Places(and he always spawns in Classic+)

I've turned off Slingshot forever. All I want is the fun hats.

• Options
    I don't know, I know the spawns for that fucking train mission and it still shits on me. I didn't realise until recently that the mutons only spawn when you hit the buttons though, that might help.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I've never actually gotten a blaster launcher in any of my games

I'm not even sure how to get it

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I've never actually gotten a blaster launcher in any of my games

I'm not even sure how to get it

Take down a battleship and find their fusion cores.

That opens up the research for blaster bombs. Less broken than the version in the original, but I can't think of a way to make a weapon more broken.