As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This S T E A M thread is old.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...cartoon graphics. FFT style combat. Saga-style campaign. Fucking vikings.

Did these Banner Saga guys have a goddamn checklist of things I have a weakness to? Dammit, Newell, I already spent over a hundred bucks today getting pots and pans and cooking materials for my new residence!

Banner Saga is cool. Looks great, music is great, really feels like a struggle. The consequences to your actions can be opaque, so be aware that you can get some nasty breaks.
    The combat is fun but it relies a bit on the AI and gets a tad repetitive, there aren't many unit types.
    It's 7-10 hours to play through.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, Neo Scavenger encourages wariness in approaching places and people. Before my first character died, I came across a bunch of people clustered outside a building; a second playthrough would reveal it as
    a robot pit fight seemingly hosted by cannibals. Luckily, the hacking skill helped my second character get out alive.
    In this first run I didn't like the look of the place and crept away, deciding to scavenge somewhere else. I wound up having to hide my tracks because I spotted some critter lurking in the next tile, and holed up in an apartment building until morning. It came back and I had to flee in the night, resulting in the bandit encounter described above.

It's interesting stuff, and I already like the feel of this particular post-apocalypse. Without saying too much, the game makes it clear in the opening minutes that it's not just DayZ from another perspective. Survival alone is going to be a challenge, but I look forward to piecing together the details of what happened.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    its like @RoyceSraphim is talking in tongues.

And yet... I understand.

I killed a man last night. I tried to scare him off with an empty pistol, but he was undeterred. He had a rifle, but he was charging anyway. His was empty, too.

We fought; a desperate, scrambling thing. I was no amateur at melee, but this was no boxing match. We grappled like rabid cavemen, kicking, tackling, clawing. I got him on the ground and struggled to get up first so I could cave his skull in. The stubborn bastard fought through internal bleeding and a severe concussion, but in the end I was victorious, albeit barely.

He had a boot. A single, right boot. I had a left boot, and my right foot was bare.

I died later that night, hypothermia finally claiming me. In my weakened state I didn't have a chance.

But I died with a pair of boots, and that's more than many will ever say.

... and suddenly I want that game.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Then ask yourself: What would Edgar Allan Poe do?
    rqxXiRG.gif

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Woah, how did I not noticed that Space Engineers finally added multi?! Mmmmm.
    Anyone run a server for that?

vamen on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    I was looking at this list of GFWL games showing which ones have been converted to Steamworks, which ones won't, and which ones are still up in the air. I noticed Dark Void on there, which is a game I bought some time ago and never even tried. I went ahead and downloaded and was pleased to see that the Steam version didn't actually have GFWL in it.

Game didn't seem too bad so far, although I guess you eventually get a jetpack. And it has Nolan North as the main character doing the generic Nolan North voice. Apparently Nikola Tesla is in there too somewhere.
    Have my fingers crossed for Dawn of War 2, but I'm not optimistic.
    Retribution already moved the game off GFWL so I wouldn't really expect them to go back and do that for the earlier ones.

But damn, it sure would be nice if they did.

*sigh*
    Wouldn't even mind if they just disabled the MP stuff because of retribution

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    oakke wrote: »
    Magicka: Wizard Wars early access key:

Loading...?

Kinda worth noting with this guys:

Wizard Wars is early as fuck. If you aren't a fan of Magicka already you probably wont get much out of getting early access right now (also go buy Magicka instead).

I looked at Magicka and I still am not clear on what kind of game it is. Would someone enlighten me?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Case in point, I never made it to the glow in the east in any of the demos, and have only done it once in the full game, shortly before I starved to death. I kept watching the quest play out and was thinking in my head (yo dawg, gimme a sandwich, a slice of bread, and I handle that shit right quick.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

And yet... I understand.

I killed a man last night. I tried to scare him off with an empty pistol, but he was undeterred. He had a rifle, but he was charging anyway. His was empty, too.

We fought; a desperate, scrambling thing. I was no amateur at melee, but this was no boxing match. We grappled like rabid cavemen, kicking, tackling, clawing. I got him on the ground and struggled to get up first so I could cave his skull in. The stubborn bastard fought through internal bleeding and a severe concussion, but in the end I was victorious, albeit barely.

He had a boot. A single, right boot. I had a left boot, and my right foot was bare.

I died later that night, hypothermia finally claiming me. In my weakened state I didn't have a chance.

Stay strong with me, Luchaire. Stay Strong.
    if you cave then I'm going to cave and my oath will be broken and there will be 1000 generations of shame upon my family.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    oakke wrote: »
    Magicka: Wizard Wars early access key:

Loading...?

Kinda worth noting with this guys:

Wizard Wars is early as fuck. If you aren't a fan of Magicka already you probably wont get much out of getting early access right now (also go buy Magicka instead).

I looked at Magicka and I still am not clear on what kind of game it is. Would someone enlighten me?

It's weird.

Basically top down adventure game/wizard 'em up.

QWERASDF all each apply to an element. You can chain up to five of them before casting them in a beam, spray, to your sword or in an AOE. In addition to that you have set spells like revive, meteor shower or the classic random delete button 'crash to desktop'.

Also it's co-op and has friendly fire.

So it's all about manic improv and hilarious cluster fucks where you accidentally kill your friends. TB and the Yogscast do a pretty good playthrough if you wanna see it in action.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You know, if anyone wants to play some co-op Magicka that'd be some major fun. Especially once you start getting the area-of-effect spells.

Oh Thunderstorm, you heal me and hurt everyone else...and also kind of one-shot my friends. Their fault for not wearing Tron suits.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    You know, if anyone wants to play some co-op Magicka that'd be some major fun. Especially once you start getting the area-of-effect spells.

Oh Thunderstorm, you heal me and hurt everyone else...and also kind of one-shot my friends. Their fault for not wearing Tron suits.

There is no challenge in life that can't be beaten with a healthy dose of self shield, meteor storm and running around like headless chickens.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

And yet... I understand.

if you cave then I'm going to cave and my oath will be broken and there will be 1000 generations of shame upon my family.

Is this Rust?
    Because I will play the shit out of Rust with you Buttcleft!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

And yet... I understand.

Is this Rust?

Neo Scavenger

Demo

Early Alpha

Medical System

Screenshots from my first time with the alpha and a review

Now get out there and beat a man into submission with a treebranch!

VEHICLES!

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...cartoon graphics. FFT style combat. Saga-style campaign. Fucking vikings.

Did these Banner Saga guys have a goddamn checklist of things I have a weakness to? Dammit, Newell, I already spent over a hundred bucks today getting pots and pans and cooking materials for my new residence!

Banner Saga is cool. Looks great, music is great, really feels like a struggle. The consequences to your actions can be opaque, so be aware that you can get some nasty breaks.
    The combat is fun but it relies a bit on the AI and gets a tad repetitive, there aren't many unit types.
    It's 7-10 hours to play through.

This is the first game I kickstarted to be released, and I'm really enjoying it.

The combat's a little simple, but the overworld stuff is really interesting and introduces a good amount of variety to the combat.

It's also one of the better-looking games I've played recently. It's just so pretty, with nice bits of animation. Really needs subtitles though, they have such strong accents I only pick up about half of what they say.

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Ultrahonky: Lord of the Jive Turkeys surprised me with pool nation! I almost picked this up myself because I'm a slave to leaderboards. Thank you so much! (I'm not even going to attempt @ 'ing you so I don't look too foolish for getting it wrong.)

Edit: 16 gigs of pool, jeeze. I'm going to have to clean this up soon.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There I was, minding my own business, building up my adorable little town in Steam Bandits (aside: this game is goshdarn good, I <3 it, thanks so much @Scratchy), when I decided to take a break for a bit from the responsibilities of being a Skyrunner...

And this happened.

braid.jpg

Thanks @Henry Moon! I shall ... Braid! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Man. You guys that love shit like Homeworld, Battlezone and Sins of a Solar Empire are going to fucking lose your bananas over Void Destroyer once it's nice and polished up. It's a blast right now but I'm not sure if balance is quite there yet or if I'm missing some finer subtleties. It's hard. Every time I advance the campaign I get a new wrinkle to deal with. Your Command Cruiser is a serious piece of firepower but it is not good at anything resembling a hit and run attack. If you bring it to a fight you have committed. Also the way you command capital ships really is a cool thing. You can pilot them directly but they maneuver like bricks. So there is a system of commands for turning, moving on your thruster axis and various waypoint systems. The learning curve is for real but the ability to pick a good tool for a situation and see it work as intended is great stuff. It's a majestic sight when you rally your fleet to your Command Cruiser while it is executing it's orders, enemy ships exploding all around you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81FFvB8fIGY

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    Managed to get The Swapper knocked off the backlog.

What a great game it turned out to be too. Great sense of atmosphere and use of lighting in the game with a balanced ambient soundtrack.
    For such a small team they created a highly polished 2.5D puzzle platformer.

I'd like to go back and do the 10 achievements soon that are hidden in the game which reveal more messages about the people who were onboard.
    Thanks again @SniperGuy
    If you get bored or miss any, you can go into the game's directory on your computer and find a file with all the dailog/text in the game, including those 10 hidden terminals.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Man. You guys that love shit like Homeworld, Battlezone and Sins of a Solar Empire are going to fucking lose your bananas over Void Destroyer once it's nice and polished up. It's a blast right now but I'm not sure if balance is quite there yet or if I'm missing some finer subtleties. It's hard. Every time I advance the campaign I get a new wrinkle to deal with. Your Command Cruiser is a serious piece of firepower but it is not good at anything resembling a hit and run attack. If you bring it to a fight you have committed. Also the way you command capital ships really is a cool thing. You can pilot them directly but they maneuver like bricks. So there is a system of commands for turning, moving on your thruster axis and various waypoint systems. The learning curve is for real but the ability to pick a good tool for a situation and see it work as intended is great stuff. It's a majestic sight when you rally your fleet to your Command Cruiser while it is executing it's orders, enemy ships exploding all around you.

Oh good gracious.

Stahp. With your words and things!

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    /watches with amusement as 46 people suddenly wishlist Void Destroyer

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    And Void Destroyer is all of $11.99 at this very moment. The price was right enough for me.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    /watches with amusement as 46 people suddenly wishlist Void Destroyer

By this point Drake should just have direct control over everybody's wishlist.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Note to self: acquire Void Destroyer and Steam Bandits ASAP.

Rather than get hooked on one game and lose a week or so, the plan is to get hooked on multiple games in tandem and hope the addictions offset somehow. At a minimum I will instead lose time in smaller, more manageable chunks.

It's foolproof!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Man. I am reminded of the fact that I still need to get the co-op achievements in SR4.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So in the past week I've beaten Bastion and Thomas was Alone. Both awesome games with awesome soundtracks.

But is it just me or were the stories confusing? Especially Thomas. Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand them.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    anoffday wrote: »
    So in the past week I've beaten Bastion and Thomas was Alone. Both awesome games with awesome soundtracks.

But is it just me or were the stories confusing? Especially Thomas. Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand them.

Having not played either game, I go by the starting assumption that everything in any given game is somehow the player's fault, or will become such over time.

It's often not that far off base.

Stolls on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Be forewarned, this is all my inebriated brain can remember:

Bastion spoilers:
    The Bastion rewinds time to at least before the Calamity but there is no guarantee the Calamity doesn't happen all over again. In fact playing NG+ results in Rucks mentioning like this has all happened before. In short you've been in a stable time loop for who knows how long until you finally destroy the Bastion and explore the new world. Naturally most of this can be lost on you if you decided not to use the Bastion.

Thomas was Alone (a bit fuzzier on this one)
    Basically its AI gaining sentience, acquiring personalities the whole thing. Concurrently, the makers of the AI have no idea have no idea what to do with them so they basically close up shop and hope for the best. The AIs (after a brief contact with the internet) sacrifice themselves in order to free all future AIs. Their decedents eventually escape the system into the world/internet and what that means for the world, who knows?

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Anyone planning on buying Crusader Kings II? I have a 50% off coupon for it, if anyone wants it.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Bastion's story/new game plus handling of the story is brilliant IMO.
    They straight up tell you if you rewind time, the calamity might just happen again. So if you choose to restore, then the ending tells you things were happy for a while but the calamity happened again. And so then if you play new game plus you are actually going through repeating the same cycle you already did all those times before. It's only when you choose to let the past be the past, even if it is ugly, that you break the cycle. It's not an easy choice because it means letting all those innocent people who died in the calamity stay dead, but it's the choice that has to be made.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »

Oh good gracious.

Stahp. With your words and things!

and with that, drake makes me wish for Outlaw Star and Homeworld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NkjB3Gw_g

• Options
    Well between all those survival games I want and Drake talking up space capital ship control (words that will never not be music to my ears). My wish list is at it's standard 15.

Thank you Steam thread, there's always something interesting going on with games in here.

• Options
    slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/LrYnn/

Anyone have opinions on this guys requirement? I mean he can do whatever he wants, but I don't see the logic.

• Options
    slappybag wrote: »

Anyone have opinions on this guys requirement? I mean he can do whatever he wants, but I don't see the logic.

Someone wants to share a series with a player that's not experienced them before.

Seems reasonable enough really. Plus if someones running a giveaway they can honestly have whatever requirements they feel like IMO.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZHhwUK8aj8&amp;list=PL645A94C4720C11E7&amp;index=1

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Bastion's story/new game plus handling of the story is brilliant IMO.
    They straight up tell you if you rewind time, the calamity might just happen again. So if you choose to restore, then the ending tells you things were happy for a while but the calamity happened again. And so then if you play new game plus you are actually going through repeating the same cycle you already did all those times before. It's only when you choose to let the past be the past, even if it is ugly, that you break the cycle. It's not an easy choice because it means letting all those innocent people who died in the calamity stay dead, but it's the choice that has to be made.
    I always pick the good ending so I have to suspend my disbelief for every New Game Plus.

"Kid thinks this game is awesome. Want's to have another go at it. He picks New Game Plus."

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    slappybag wrote: »

"I have no COD and I must Steam."

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So yeah I think I'll close the polls tonight - barring an upset it looks like BioShock: Infinite is the winner!
    I just realized that I think I can share the summary of all the responses so far with everyone because that page is public. As you can (hopefully) see from that page, the # of responses per day is tapering off, since fewer and fewer people are left to vote, so I'll probably end voting within the next day or so unless anyone has a good reason not to.
    iZN3sEQdkGzbk.jpg

When Rorus Raz asked for things we could do as rewards, I suggested some sort of gameplay commentary. Originally I was thinking we'd be auctioning stuff off, and I suggested the commentary because I do commentary on real time strategy game replays (think a sportscaster, except for video games - a shoutcaster, we call it). However this obviously only works if I comment on a specific game, from a specific person or people, which leaves me with the question of what to do, given that the actual form the fundraising took was "here is a reward if we collectively meet this fundraising goal."

So I HAVE MADE A POLL, PLEASE VOTE IN IT (if you want to). If you have questions or comments about the poll feel free to @ me in the thread or PM me.

The options on that poll are:
    1. Tycho records a playthrough of the Penny Arcade forum-specific GOTY, BioShock Infinite, with amusing and insightful commentary that will leave you a better human being for having listened to it
    2. Tycho records a playthrough of the overall GOTY winner in mcc's poll, Gone Home, with amusing and insightful commentary that will leave you a better human being for having listened to it
    3. Tycho solicits entries from people who have a strategy game (or other game) match that they want commentary for, and Tycho chooses randomly (or we all vote or something) which match to record commentary for
    4. Tycho tries to figure out which strategy game a lot of people in the Steam thread like, somehow gets some people to play a round of that, and commentates on it
    5. Write in your own thing!
    If anyone has sweet ideas for 5, that might win, but aside from that I'll probably go with the majority's decision. I'll also periodically repost this every 15 minutes for the next year, or perhaps less (I'll think about it). Right now i have no set time for closing the poll.

HAVE AT IT.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

And yet... I understand.

Is this Rust?

Neo Scavenger

Demo

Early Alpha

Medical System

Screenshots from my first time with the alpha and a review

Now get out there and beat a man into submission with a treebranch!

VEHICLES!

Ugh, now my wishlist is up to 8.
    8!!!!
    That's 8 more games than I need on there!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Saints Row 4 beaten!

Oath is down to 3 games left before I can buy a game again!

This discussion has been closed.