As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This S T E A M thread is old.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »
    Ultrahonky: Lord of the Jive Turkeys surprised me with pool nation! I almost picked this up myself because I'm a slave to leaderboards. Thank you so much! (I'm not even going to attempt @ 'ing you so I don't look too foolish for getting it wrong.)

Edit: 16 gigs of pool, jeeze. I'm going to have to clean this up soon.

It said that, and only ended up downloading 1 gig. And the game runs fine, so not sure what that was about.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    slappybag wrote: »
    http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/LrYnn/

Anyone have opinions on this guys requirement? I mean he can do whatever he wants, but I don't see the logic.

Someone wants to share a series with a player that's not experienced them before.

Seems reasonable enough really. Plus if someones running a giveaway they can honestly have whatever requirements they feel like IMO.

I agree they can do whatever they want, I've had requirements before. I guess it would just make more sense to start with Cod 1 or Modern Warfare 1.

slappybag on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    First week of my wife's extreme new graduate school schedule is over.

Hi guys. I hear they sell computer games over the internet these days. Through steam pipes or something?

• JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Someday I will complete AC4.

I mean I am halfway through the story missions and I only have 46 hours played.

So close to the end......

Jungleskye on
  • ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Ultrahonky: Lord of the Jive Turkeys surprised me with pool nation! I almost picked this up myself because I'm a slave to leaderboards. Thank you so much! (I'm not even going to attempt @ 'ing you so I don't look too foolish for getting it wrong.)

It said that, and only ended up downloading 1 gig. And the game runs fine, so not sure what that was about.

Weird it's showing up as 4 gigs for me and it's running fine. Also it's quite a pretty pool game and eventually I'll stop being terrible at it. Thanks again Ultrahonky!

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Okay I'm just binge-adding a bunch of people to my friends list on Steam because why not.

Click click click click...

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Last time ill post this... draw tomorrow at noon. Good luck. Beautiful game.

signature.png

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    /watches with amusement as 46 people suddenly wishlist Void Destroyer

By this point Drake should just have direct control over everybody's wishlist.

Actually, Drake has yet to post about a game that I have then added to my wishlist.

Other folks have gotten me to add games, but not Drake, not yet.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So I just spent a chunk of time on How Long To Beat making a list of times for my games. Some of them are probably overblown...but all together it's 6902 hours........oh god......

EDIT That's my backlog, not even my full library. I've got 57 games to play.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    Coupon 20% off in Velocity Ultra if anyone wants

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Tried out CoH2, skirmish on eash, no tutorials, no nothing. Now, I knew of the new mechanics about temperature and blizzards, so it was self explanatory, and the visual cues about a frozen river were easy to discern. So that much was easy to discern solutions around, stay off the ice with tanks (sorry, yuri) and get near heat sources. I played the game, hung back, and won. Probably would have use command powers, but a nice row of cards at the top was simple enough to hack my way through.

So, here's the problem I had with it. It played, exactly like CoH:Gold. I've played a lot, so I understand how the game goes and the mechanics are the same so woohoo. This is bad. It is bad because if it plays just like one, and the winter mechanics don't add anything to the game, why would I play it? Why would i buy it considering I have CoH:Steam edition, the 3 original games, and an account somewhere of the online verison (which played a lot like the first 3)?

No one is jumping out with a hot new thing that makes this game different from the old ones, and the story, the SINGLE story, sounds like it doesn't measure up to the stories in the Gold edition of CoH. Unless there's new DLC that improves the base game, I'm taking it off my wishlist....with a sad frown.

Stolls wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    its like RoyceSraphim is talking in tongues.

And yet... I understand.

I killed a man last night. I tried to scare him off with an empty pistol, but he was undeterred. He had a rifle, but he was charging anyway. His was empty, too.

We fought; a desperate, scrambling thing. I was no amateur at melee, but this was no boxing match. We grappled like rabid cavemen, kicking, tackling, clawing. I got him on the ground and struggled to get up first so I could cave his skull in. The stubborn bastard fought through internal bleeding and a severe concussion, but in the end I was victorious, albeit barely.

He had a boot. A single, right boot. I had a left boot, and my right foot was bare.

I died later that night, hypothermia finally claiming me. In my weakened state I didn't have a chance.

But I died with a pair of boots, and that's more than many will ever say.

Why don't you translate what I said, I think you understand now.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    So in the past week I've beaten Bastion and Thomas was Alone. Both awesome games with awesome soundtracks.

But is it just me or were the stories confusing? Especially Thomas. Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand them.

Be forewarned, this is all my inebriated brain can remember:

Bastion spoilers:
    The Bastion rewinds time to at least before the Calamity but there is no guarantee the Calamity doesn't happen all over again. In fact playing NG+ results in Rucks mentioning like this has all happened before. In short you've been in a stable time loop for who knows how long until you finally destroy the Bastion and explore the new world. Naturally most of this can be lost on you if you decided not to use the Bastion.

Thomas was Alone (a bit fuzzier on this one)
    Basically its AI gaining sentience, acquiring personalities the whole thing. Concurrently, the makers of the AI have no idea have no idea what to do with them so they basically close up shop and hope for the best. The AIs (after a brief contact with the internet) sacrifice themselves in order to free all future AIs. Their decedents eventually escape the system into the world/internet and what that means for the world, who knows?

Still lost on Bastion. It's a beautiful game. Awesome narrator. Awesome music. But story is so confusing.

But Thomas makes a lot more sense now. Thanks.

Steam: offday
  • DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    So in the past week I've beaten Bastion and Thomas was Alone. Both awesome games with awesome soundtracks.

But is it just me or were the stories confusing? Especially Thomas. Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand them.

Bastion spoilers:
    The Bastion rewinds time to at least before the Calamity but there is no guarantee the Calamity doesn't happen all over again. In fact playing NG+ results in Rucks mentioning like this has all happened before. In short you've been in a stable time loop for who knows how long until you finally destroy the Bastion and explore the new world. Naturally most of this can be lost on you if you decided not to use the Bastion.

Basically its AI gaining sentience, acquiring personalities the whole thing. Concurrently, the makers of the AI have no idea have no idea what to do with them so they basically close up shop and hope for the best. The AIs (after a brief contact with the internet) sacrifice themselves in order to free all future AIs. Their decedents eventually escape the system into the world/internet and what that means for the world, who knows?

Still lost on Bastion. It's a beautiful game. Awesome narrator. Awesome music. But story is so confusing.

Hopefully Mike will bring Benjamin's Flight DLC for Thomas was alone to the PC one day but I guess he's really busy right now with Volume.
    It's a shame it's not on sale for the PS3/Vita like the base game is right now in the 14 for 14 sale.

It's well done and Danny Wallace is back to narrate it, but it's super short. Maybe 30 - 40 minutes at most.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    DaxterMax wrote: »

Bastion spoilers:

Hopefully Mike will bring Benjamin's Flight DLC for Thomas was alone to the PC one day but I guess he's really busy right now with Volume.
    It's a shame it's not on sale for the PS3/Vita like the base game is right now in the 14 for 14 sale.

It's well done and Danny Wallace is back to narrate it, but it's super short. Maybe 30 - 40 minutes at most.

Yeah, I was reading about that. He came into a steam thread and said it was coming last summer or something? And I went back to store page to find it and nothing. Then read more and apparently he's promised it like 3 different dates and missed them all.

In his defense, it does sound like he feels like crap about letting people down about it, but at the same time can he not put the other game on hold and follow up on his promises?

anoffday on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Bastion spoilers:

i dunno, i found the story to Bastion straightforward enough.
    What do you find confusing about it?

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Okay, my birthday is on Monday. I am turning 33. This feels like a good time to do things like lament my ever-failing body, ponder the meaning of my own mortality, and give away a bunch of stuff. All are open to the Adventure Team group until Monday night.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Weekend reminder! I'll post one more reminder on Monday, and then these will close Monday night. Also, more Steam Keys!

Loading...?

Here are the games that go with the codes above, listed in order, so don't grab it if you already have it in your library.
    1. FTL: Faster Than Light
    2. Hotline Miami
    3. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
    4. Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
    5. Mirror's Edge

Thanks for Mirror's Edge you old fart. I guess that makes me a dusty fart.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Bastion's story/new game plus handling of the story is brilliant IMO.
    They straight up tell you if you rewind time, the calamity might just happen again. So if you choose to restore, then the ending tells you things were happy for a while but the calamity happened again. And so then if you play new game plus you are actually going through repeating the same cycle you already did all those times before. It's only when you choose to let the past be the past, even if it is ugly, that you break the cycle. It's not an easy choice because it means letting all those innocent people who died in the calamity stay dead, but it's the choice that has to be made.

Just another reason Bastion is a masterpiece. I know I'm a broken record at this point, but I figure there are probably a few here who haven't played it yet, but it's easily one of my top 10 games of the last decade. It's a perfect storm of meticulously crafted gameplay, story telling, voice acting, music, and art design from a team that's at the absolute top of their game. If Bastion were a record, it would be Revolver.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

signature.png

Only a short while left to enter!

Reminder: No pants!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt0wmMQ6Flw

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    So before we get rolling in a bit here's the final % breakdown of answers on the Steam Battle survey for fun.
    Final number of completed entries was 91.

Human Anatomy - The important parts
    68.13%
    Walk It Off - Post modern pain management
    24.18%
    Building a Better Bicep
    7.69%

The Art of Slapsies
    21.98%
    Scars: Share your favorites and the stories behind them.
    34.07%
    Over the Top: Great Film or Greatest Film
    43.96%

Odysseus
    68.13%
    Achilles
    20.88%
    Hercules
    10.99%

American Gladiator Intros Marathon
    47.25%
    Youtube Nut Shots Compilation
    28.57%
    The Best of Strongman Competition
    24.18%

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Heres everything I think I know about Bastion:
    The Celandians built a city in the sky and worked hard to expand the city and discover the world around them while also dealing with the threats of nature and the wilds. They ran afoul of the Ura people and a war a broke out with the Cels winning and the Uras sort of being forced to be confined to a certain area of the world. Now Uras could live inside the city but then they aren't aloud to leave lest they take the Citys secrets with them and start an uprising leading to another war.

Zia's father was an Ura who worked closely with the Mancers to develop a technology that lead to the calamity. It was designed as sort of a weapon to be used against the Ura should another war break out and it would effectively Genocide the entire Ura race. There was some drama between Zia and a boy she liked who got close to her under the pretense that he admired Ura people, but mocked her and her father and caused strife within their two person family. Zia's dad got into some trouble because of this and was told he could only work with the Mancers from now on and never see his daughter again.

So daddy was pretty pissed off and he reverse engeniered the calamity to destroy Celandian people instead of Ura people and it completely destroyed the city. Leaving almost no survivors.

Rucks built the Bastion as a safe haven in case anything went wrong with the city. Presumably if the aforementioned war broke out. So he survived by being in the Bastion when the calamity occurred. And when the kid showed up he knew he had a reliable partner to start gathering the materials needed to power the Bastion and rebuild the city.

Zulf originally was just a survivor but finds out the truth through the Ura notebook. He gets righteously pissed about the calamity being an Ura genocide and takes upon himself to ally with the Ura people and have the Bastion destroyed. Though in doing so he is mostly looking to protect his people from another calamity and bears no personal grudge against the kid or rucks being that they became friends initially. He tells the kid and Zia to leave before an attack on the Bastion occurs.

I'm not sure how the kid survived but his backstory is spelled out through the pipe. He lived with his mom and was bullied a lot so he went to work at the city's walls. He sent the money he earned back to his mom but when his 5 year service was up he found his mom had passed away and the money he sent back was gone. So having no friends or family to speak of he became the only person to sign up and work the walls twice. When the calamity happens he heads to the Bastion and finds only Rucks, who asks the kid to help rebuild the city without so much as asking his name. The kid starts a singular purpose that takes the whole game to play out.

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    I'm late to the party on the current bundle. As someone who's interested in DayZ but not Arma do I jump in for the mod or will new development eventually be restricted to the new standalone version?

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I have a bundle copy of F.E.A.R. that I'm not sure whether or not it works.

Anyone want to help me find out?

SmokeStacks on

If you want to @ someone with spaces in their name, use quotation marks around the name so it looks like this:

JkmrvqB.png

Which will then turn into this:

GmuG58A.png

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    /watches with amusement as 46 people suddenly wishlist Void Destroyer

By this point Drake should just have direct control over everybody's wishlist.

I might have 6 spots left on my wishlist for 50, but this didn't tickle me enough to add. Those 6 spots a special and all.

Still working on bastion. Also making some art. I will share when I'm done. Think I'm making a tile for big picture.
    movie night with the family. stay classy all.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

The Art of Slapsies
    21.98%
    Scars: Share your favorites and the stories behind them.
    34.07%
    Over the Top: Great Film or Greatest Film
    43.96%

Good to see Over The Top getting the praise that a movie based around competitive arm wrestling deserves.

aaa
    Taramoor wrote: »
    signature.png

Only a short while left to enter!

Reminder: No pants!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt0wmMQ6Flw

It appears I no longer have a picture of me posing with an X-Blades booth babe, pity.

• ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    If you want to @ someone with spaces in their name, use quotation marks around the name so it looks like this:

JkmrvqB.png

Which will then turn into this:

GmuG58A.png

Thank you! I didn't even think of quotes I was too busy messing with parenthesis and feeling moronic.

steam_sig.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Man Divinity Original Sin looks really excellent. That baby's flying right to the top of my wishlist.

See whenever there's a game over $20, I don't buy it because it's so expensive. But then I'll buy 2 games at $10 each or a swarm of $5 games, and often won't really play them that much. I need to be smarter. Steam is so tricksy.

Man Divinity Original Sin looks really excellent. That baby's flying right to the top of my wishlist.

See whenever there's a game over $20, I don't buy it because it's so expensive. But then I'll buy 2 games at $10 each or a swarm of $5 games, and often won't really play them that much. I need to be smarter. Steam is so tricksy.

I kickstarted it, so I've tried the alpha. It's rough, but then again it's an alpha. It should be pretty good when it's done though.

See whenever there's a game over $20, I don't buy it because Guybrush told me not to.

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I picked up The Secret World. I've been in the market for a new MMO and forgot about this one. I saw that it was on sale, and with the few bucks in my wallet I spent around $8 on it. I don't have any friends who play but that's fine. I heard it was heavily influenced by H.P. Lovecraft's works, and considering I've read every story the man has ever written two-to-three times, I should enjoy myself.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    I picked up The Secret World. I've been in the market for a new MMO and forgot about this one. I saw that it was on sale, and with the few bucks in my wallet I spent around $8 on it. I don't have any friends who play but that's fine. I heard it was heavily influenced by H.P. Lovecraft's works, and considering I've read every story the man has ever written two-to-three times, I should enjoy myself.
    jeffinva wrote: »

It has some of the best writing out there.

Also, it remains the only game where my math knowledge led to me netting an obscene amount of XP (there's a quest where the correct answers involve numerical sequences).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Okay I'm just binge-adding a bunch of people to my friends list on Steam because why not.

Click click click click...

binge added you.
    all this talk of bastion, and I haven't beaten it yet. :( I will soon.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    grats to @Talus, winning my toki tori 2 giveaway. gift has been emailed.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Stolls wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    its like RoyceSraphim is talking in tongues.

And yet... I understand.

I killed a man last night. I tried to scare him off with an empty pistol, but he was undeterred. He had a rifle, but he was charging anyway. His was empty, too.

We fought; a desperate, scrambling thing. I was no amateur at melee, but this was no boxing match. We grappled like rabid cavemen, kicking, tackling, clawing. I got him on the ground and struggled to get up first so I could cave his skull in. The stubborn bastard fought through internal bleeding and a severe concussion, but in the end I was victorious, albeit barely.

He had a boot. A single, right boot. I had a left boot, and my right foot was bare.

I died later that night, hypothermia finally claiming me. In my weakened state I didn't have a chance.

But I died with a pair of boots, and that's more than many will ever say.

Why don't you translate what I said, I think you understand now.

Oh they'll understand in time. Break down the torch and throw everything in the cart until you're ready to mix the fire. The river is a thing; a lighter and crowbar for every building. Conditions matter, especially for pants. Do the dodge tango on the barefeet, but better to hide when the melons arrive.

Monsters are enemies, but cold is the villain.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Nothing to see here in this post. This is a blank post.
    I guess I'm not very good at this whole covert ops thing...

Good thing @msmya gave me Stealth Bastard Deluxe!

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    After another late mission crash in XCOM led me to putting it down for a while, I tried out Brothers today. What a little gem. The puzzles were fun and always felt fair and the control scheme is definitely interesting. The game has a beautiful world that really has charm to it. The worst part was having to hold down the triggers for so long that it left me a bit sore, like playing too much pinball.

When I looked at my list to see who had gifted it to me, it wasn't there. I knew it was a gift since I didn't buy a single game for myself during the Christmas sale. Since it wasn't on my list, I might not have publicly thanked @HeirTransparent for sending it my way. If I didn't, I'm dreadfully sorry. If I did, thanks again because I'm really having fun with it!

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So I think I'm finally ready to start playing Secret World. Is there a server PA people tend to play on? And a class that is considered better than the others?

edit: Last time I tried to play, I got lost in the character creator and quit out.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Servers only matter for pvp, which is silly anyway. No classes, you choose from the whole board for your skills.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.