As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Design a World - IC World Building

• Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    As Sombreos, god of speech, I request that this new world be in constant harmony. Let the air from all corners of this world sing with it's passage.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    As Sombreos, god of speech, I request that this new world be in constant harmony. Let the air from all corners of this world sing with it's passage.
    What are you trying to do, put me out of a job?

Hmph.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    First a proposal. Italics for in character, for it gives it that offical, testimonial look. Regular text out of character.

Also, I've taken Air to extend to weather (precipitation/wind/etc, not Hot/Cold) also, objections?

Aileron found the area between the beyond and the Earth calling it the sky. Bountiful and blue at times, forbdingly black at others.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited October 2006
    Man, you haven't done anything with all this air that's just floating around. There is only so little I can do until those who can utilize my gifts come about, and right now I want this world to be in constant tune.

However, I am a minor deity, and I will retract my divine will if it means the favor of my superior.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I like the tune idea. It reminds me of Pythagoras' universal harmony - the idea that the world produces a constant, sublime song, that to the ears of the inhabitants who are accustomed to it from birth is silence.

Aroused Bull on
    edited October 2006
    Man, you haven't done anything with all this air that's just floating around. There is only so little I can do until those who can utilize my gifts come about, and right now I want this world to be in constant tune.

However, I am a minor deity, and I will retract my divine will if it means the favor of my superior.
    Oh, just the sound waves. That's fine, though a little tiring.

Also I demand the possiblity of discord. You can't destroy a song with perfect harmony.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ((Do any of the gods have physical forms? ))

EDIT::
    The Sage in a Rage alights on a rocky peak and surveys the current whole of creation. He resembles a *man with his back turned to you at all times, talking to you over his shoulder. He is dressed in a dapper way, and holds a pipe in his hand, but never smokes.

*or whatever form we decide on, if not.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2006
    ((Do any of the gods have physical forms? ))

First, the world must be assembled, then we may walk it.

EvilBadman on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    (( As soon as mortals are created, Salt will have an avatar, but that's it. ))

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006

Also I demand the possiblity of discord. You can't destroy a song with perfect harmony.

Hrrmph, if you had your way, the air would be combustible. However, I will grudgingly admit that creating discord is an art of the spoken, though it is more a misuse of it.

And so, every other cycle of this world shall alternate in it's tune. One cycle shall be in harmony, the next one of discord.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2006
    I have collected some suggestions:

As mentioned above, in character text in italics. OOC can be (()) [] or just straight text.

I love my Forum name, but that's not exactly deity standard, so I went with Aileron. I'm not saying abandon your forum alias, but as this is in character, you may want to come up with a more mythical name (in some cases).

So place to collect the in character posts? Not wikipedia, but maybe a small webspace?

EvilBadman on
    edited October 2006

Hrrmph, if you had your way, the air would be combustible. However, I will grudgingly admit that creating discord is an art of the spoken, though it is more a misuse of it.

And so, every other cycle of this world shall alternate in it's tune. One cycle shall be in harmony, the next one of discord.
    Everything should be combustible. Everything.

Some stuff should be hard to combust, but it should be possible.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2006

I think we can compromise here. Can stuff make pretty noises when it explodes?

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2006

I think we can compromise here. Can stuff make pretty noises when it explodes?

Salt stirs from his concentration (moving a world away from the fish had been hard work) and speaks the fellow deities - the Sombreos in particular. "No."

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006
    I don't want to get overworked. If stuff made pretty noises when it exploded, everyone would be doing it.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    I don't want to get overworked. If stuff made pretty noises when it exploded, everyone would be doing it.

There are many men who walk many worlds who would claim that the sound of an explosion, of breaking glass, of destruction itself, is music to their ears.

Be not so quick to judge what is and isn't beauty. The balance of life dictates that the most vile countenance should appear beautiful to some, and the fairest of skin a blemish of nature's handiwork to others.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2006

There are many men who walk many worlds who would claim that the sound of an explosion, of breaking glass, of destruction itself, is music to their ears.

Be not so quick to judge what is and isn't beauty. The balance of life dictates that the most vile countenance should appear beautiful to some, and the fairest of skin a blemish of nature's handiwork to others.
    All right. Destroying stuff is harmonius to a select few's ears, and horrible to others'?

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2006

I will take your words into accord. However, the craft of Speech and Sound requires that, whatever is produced, be it harmony or discord, must be produced well. Should someday other beings speak, I will account their talent when considering my blessing, rather than the product.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2006
    All right. Destroying stuff is harmonius to a select few's ears, and horrible to others'?

I have no buisness with how it is interpreted.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2006
    "We have more important things to worry about than whether or not our nonexistant mortals like the noise of destruction."

Salt has the demeanor, the presence, of a man hard at work, annoyed by those around him.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006
    "We have more important things to worry about than whether or not our nonexistant mortals like the noise of destruction."

Salt has the demeanor, the presence, of a man hard at work, annoyed by those around him.

Your words lack the presence of one who can appreciate the art within the sound of their own voice.

I mean, uh, I'm just thinking about the big picture here. You know, don't want to look down the road eons from now and think "Oh, hey, shoulda done that."

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    *swoops through space, with a fin held in each hand*

Hey, this is pretty fun. We should make some stuff that does this.

*flaps fins*

Noises? Sounds boring.

*swoops away*

Scooter on
    edited October 2006
    SageinaRage decides to slough off his 'caviar name' and take on the moniker of 'Ad Absurdem', for no real reason.

"Salt, what shape is this chunk of earth which you are so delicately moulding? I myself am fond of a certain little three-dimensional property known colloquially as the 'mobius strip'."

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006

Salt, would you inform me when you have finished your work. I would like to finish up my oceans as soon as possible?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I take from the Fish of the Universe its tail, and with it, the weave of lives yet to come. For though the will of existance shall be spontaneous, from the chaos of chance, moments will arise that could have no other conclusion in this realm.

And thus did the ebb and flow of existance open itself to me. And I did motivate the energies of lives yet born to the end that would be most fitting for the time yet to come.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
    edited October 2006
    Salt 'steps' away from his work - in the center of the scale now stands a great mountain, delicately crafted; to the North, he has torn great mounds out of the sea that was born of the torrential downpour.

Beyond this are the many curves and ridges of the scale; where they've flooded, they have flooded - where they have not, they have not - Salt has not touched the rest of the scale.

Salt makes a declaration; "In some places, the seas may run deep - deeper than any mortal may ever dare to tread. But below the seas - within the scale - this is my lair, and none shall pass within without my knowledge or my permission."

Maybe at some point we should do something along the lines of the Diplomacy game - have everyone turn in actions at once, and then one person post the resolution at the end of the night. That'll give everyone a fair chance to respond to things as the game moves into full swing.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006
    Salt, should I take this to mean that you do not want a hand in the decisions we shall make? For the rest of us dwell here, and not within the confines of such a puny three-dimensional space. Or, will this merely be a home away from home?

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2006
    "Dwell where you wish, Sombreo - I choose to keep myself near my creation - you may distance yourself as infinitely as you'd like."

And then Salt 'turns' away - setting to work, perhaps, deep within the Scale.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006
    I envy you your dwelling. Out of necessity, I am everywhere.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited October 2006
    Dwelling? Why would you want to pin yourself down? I look forward to exploring this new land you're making.

Scooter on
    edited October 2006
    Mayhaps we should pick a spot, somewhere on this thing Salt has been making, and convene here to discuss matters that concern it.

I mean, unless you guys don't wanna. It's just a suggestion. I'll do what you want.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2006
    Sounds cool, as long as we aren't expected to stay there. Should be someplace we can keep the little stuff from bothering us, though.

Scooter on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    (I would love to get in on this, but I'm having trouble figuring out a realm to oversee. Would Craftmanship and technology be ok or is that stepping on the toes of other dieties?)

-SPI- on
  • Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Dwelling? Why would you want to pin yourself down? I look forward to exploring this new land you're making.

What good is travel without places to go to and come from? Surely, the hearth is more important than any journey or exploration.

Elbonian Man on
    edited October 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    (I would love to get in on this, but I'm having trouble figuring out a realm to oversee. Would Craftmanship and technology be ok or is that stepping on the toes of other dieties?)

There aren't any people yet to do these things.

I don't know what we're going for, but 'technology' might be out of place if we want a fantasy setting.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:

What good is travel without places to go to and come from? Surely, the hearth is more important than any journey or exploration.

I don't follow. When I'm going somewhere, I'll start from *here*. And then I'll be *there*. Is there something more to it? I've already seen here. Here is old.

Scooter on
  • Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

I don't follow. When I'm going somewhere, I'll start from *here*. And then I'll be *there*. Is there something more to it? I've already seen here. Here is old.

You have seen here, but have you done all that can be done here? And what happens when you have seen all the heres that there are?

Elbonian Man on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    -SPI- wrote:

Take ingenuity, a more specialized [and so more powerful within it] domain.

However, i dont think things like that exist yet, but when the first men or beasts come upon the earth, what is to say that new deities are not born with them?

That aspects dont take on a mind of their own?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited October 2006
    -SPI- wrote:

((You do whatever the hell you want. We're all equal...gods...here.))
    There aren't any people yet to do these things.

((There's no life, death, or war, yet, but we still have gods for them.))

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

You have seen here, but have you done all that can be done here? And what happens when you have seen all the heres that there are?

You...you guys are making more heres, right? How's that going? Can I help?

Scooter on