As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]'s so raven

19495969798100»

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    For all of it's issues, I loved the hell out of Red Dead Redemption. Cresting a hill and seeing Mexico was fantastic.

it's easily one of the best games of the last generation and maybe the best game Rockstar have done overall, I dunno, I go back and forth between it and GTAV

I need to play V's story sometime. But yeah, I'd have to say it easily in the top five games I played in the last generation.

well now I have to ask, what are your top 5?

Oh god. I'd need to think about it. But in no particular order:

1. Sleeping Dogs
    2. Red Dead Redemption
    3. X-Com
    4. Borderlands
    5. Minecraft

Keep in mind, I played part of Bioshock and not 2. And the first person RPGs like Fallout are things I play till I shoot a critical NPC and then stop playing in frustration.

Hmmm, that is a really good list. I am going to make mine really quickly in hopes that it makes me honest and not overthink it.

1. Mass Effect
    2. Assassin's Creed 2
    3. RDR
    4. Sleeping Dogs
    5. Fallout: New Vegas

Mass Effect is great and I might swap Borderlands out for it.

Even with all the disappointment and the controversy, Mass Effect is like...it's my favorite game ever. It is what young Jacob was playing in his head thirty years ago when he plunked quarters into Galaga and Moon Patrol. Playing the first Mass Effect was like deja vu, because games had finally caught up to where I had been all along.

I didn't play the first but the second and third were fantastic. Enough freedom to feel like you had a serious impact on the story both large and small bits, excellent game play, solid story. Excellent characterization.

I love all the games but there's an interesting shift in tone between 1 and the sequels. The guy who wrote most of 1 and helped create the world moved on to The Old Rpublic and then left Bioware at some point and was replaced as head writer for 2 and 3.

I think he was more of a sci-fi nerd and less interested in characters, and the game reflects that. The game fiction is much more tight, semi-hard sci-fi but the characters are kind of fuzzier around the edges. It's like going back and watching Season 1 of an old TV show before they got all the kinks worked out.

On the other hand the game also has a much less oooh-rah kind of tone. The subsequent games have these weird kind of momentsw where they give handjobs to soldiers (but not EVIL POLITICIANS) and it made me weirdly uncomfortable at a couple points, like some dude in the office really needed to cut back on watching Band of Brothers over and over.

The Oooh-rah thing makes sense when you're looking at it from the perspective of Shepard. I'd find it much weirder if you were a civilians. But I tend to read a lot of military sci-fi so it may just be something I tune out.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i'm all caught up on school work for the week plus i have tomorrow off so i don't feel particularly guilty about playing a vidya game

but i am maybe halfway through ac black flag, just past the tutorial of far cry 3, maybe halfway through arkham city, i've only done one or two runthroughs of FTL, i'm about 3/4 through la noire, just past the tutorial of mark of the ninja and magicka, about a quarter into medal of honor (which i'm probably putting down for good- this game sucks), an hour into mirror's edge, a season and a half into my nba2k14 career, an hour or two into trine, halfway through the second world of super meat boy...

and i just don't feel likle playing any of these things wtf

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    I hope they do a remake of Terror from the Deep.

I wanna do some xcom with fishmen.

I know someone, I think in SE++ made a really good speculative post about how they could do a TftD expansion for the new XCOM. And then Tube came in with information that Jake Solomon didn't like TftD.

UR RONG!

it was Tube with the nerdy speculation about Terror from the Deep and some otehr dude who replied to him who pointed out that Jake Solomon doesn't like it

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    For all of it's issues, I loved the hell out of Red Dead Redemption. Cresting a hill and seeing Mexico was fantastic.

it's easily one of the best games of the last generation and maybe the best game Rockstar have done overall, I dunno, I go back and forth between it and GTAV

I need to play V's story sometime. But yeah, I'd have to say it easily in the top five games I played in the last generation.

well now I have to ask, what are your top 5?

Oh god. I'd need to think about it. But in no particular order:

1. Sleeping Dogs
    2. Red Dead Redemption
    3. X-Com
    4. Borderlands
    5. Minecraft

Keep in mind, I played part of Bioshock and not 2. And the first person RPGs like Fallout are things I play till I shoot a critical NPC and then stop playing in frustration.

Hmmm, that is a really good list. I am going to make mine really quickly in hopes that it makes me honest and not overthink it.

1. Mass Effect
    2. Assassin's Creed 2
    3. RDR
    4. Sleeping Dogs
    5. Fallout: New Vegas

Mass Effect is great and I might swap Borderlands out for it.

Even with all the disappointment and the controversy, Mass Effect is like...it's my favorite game ever. It is what young Jacob was playing in his head thirty years ago when he plunked quarters into Galaga and Moon Patrol. Playing the first Mass Effect was like deja vu, because games had finally caught up to where I had been all along.

I didn't play the first but the second and third were fantastic. Enough freedom to feel like you had a serious impact on the story both large and small bits, excellent game play, solid story. Excellent characterization.

I love all the games but there's an interesting shift in tone between 1 and the sequels. The guy who wrote most of 1 and helped create the world moved on to The Old Rpublic and then left Bioware at some point and was replaced as head writer for 2 and 3.

I think he was more of a sci-fi nerd and less interested in characters, and the game reflects that. The game fiction is much more tight, semi-hard sci-fi but the characters are kind of fuzzier around the edges. It's like going back and watching Season 1 of an old TV show before they got all the kinks worked out.

On the other hand the game also has a much less oooh-rah kind of tone. The subsequent games have these weird kind of momentsw where they give handjobs to soldiers (but not EVIL POLITICIANS) and it made me weirdly uncomfortable at a couple points, like some dude in the office really needed to cut back on watching Band of Brothers over and over.

The shift in like... everything was pretty pronounced between the first and second Mass Effect.

I talked about this a bit in vent the other night, but having not played any of them, then binging all three over a month, there is a huuuuuge seam between 1 and 2 in almost every way. Little mechanical stuff like gameplay to abstract stuff like tone to writing stuff like narrative and characterization to emphasis (on narratives and characters) to plot and goals...

They share a lot, one being a sequel, but they also morph a ton, whereas between 2 and 3 there were much more minor shifts.

I felt like there was a sub-genre shift from 2 to 3. Where we go from Space Opera to Gritty Military Sci-Fi. Two felt like it had a real clear cut morality and three felt more like do whatever it takes to survive. But that may be because of the default ME3 stuff.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I have never played a Silent Hill game and I sometimes regret this

One is excellent and is like a much smarter Resident Evil. But two is if you told David Lynch to make a video game and gave him an amazing crew to make this happen. Three was okay. But don't go past it.

I liked The Room a lot!

I loved that fucking theme song and also the whole locked in the room thing was so neat. One of the cooler ways Silent Hill has pulled someone in. And seeding bits of information in the room, and the way the game played out at first I'd be afraid to leave the room and go to silent hill (which is totally normal I tried to leave town like three times in silent hill 2) and then shit in the room started getting so fucked up I couldn't wait to go to silent hill (NOT AN IMPULSE I WAS ACCUSTOMED TO).

I thought it was fucking great.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Mirrors edge!

Shit I forgot about that one, if it wasn't a launch title it was close and while it had some flaws it was pretty awesome.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I have never played a Silent Hill game and I sometimes regret this

One is excellent and is like a much smarter Resident Evil. But two is if you told David Lynch to make a video game and gave him an amazing crew to make this happen. Three was okay. But don't go past it.

I liked The Room a lot!

I loved that fucking theme song and also the whole locked in the room thing was so neat. One of the cooler ways Silent Hill has pulled someone in. And seeding bits of information in the room, and the way the game played out at first I'd be afraid to leave the room and go to silent hill (which is totally normal I tried to leave town like three times in silent hill 2) and then shit in the room started getting so fucked up I couldn't wait to go to silent hill (NOT AN IMPULSE I WAS ACCUSTOMED TO).

I thought it was fucking great.

It didn't do much for me. It didn't seem to have the same sense of dread and urgency as the first three.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Thomamelas will create the new thread
    @Jacobkosh is backup

This discussion has been closed.