As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics Thread

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I bet they'll make the two gay, the new Apollo and Midnighter. And this being DC it will be for no real reason other than to get some notoriety.

Or Booster will be bisexual, I don't know if they did anything with him and the brit lady or Fire in JLI.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I'd actually be cool with Ted being gay. Part of what I like about Beetle and Booster's relationship, is that they're an odd couple pairing; the ultimate jock, and the ultimate nerd, that are still best friends. Pushing that further by making Booster straight and Ted gay, could be interesting.

No, my worry is that the New 52 is basically a barren hellscape, with a few strongholds manned by the likes of Greg Pak and Jeff Parker, and I'd just as soon not see any characters I like exist in it.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Jeff Parker's Aquaman was actually kinda underwhelming, to me

CYpGAPn.png
    I haven't read it, but it's Parker, so I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

That's unfortunate.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It isn't bad or anything

But it doesn't have that same Jeff Parker charm, outside of an inventive use of Mera's powers to allow Arthur to get around the globe fast.

CYpGAPn.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm hopeful for Justice League United

I trust Lemire, provided editorial doesn't get in his way too much

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I actually think Cold and Lex on the team is an interesting idea

I do not think Johns will make it work well

One of Johns strengths as a writer is having complex villains.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Forever-Evil-1-spoilers-Ultraman-Kryptonite-as-a-drug.jpg
    JUSTL_24_3.jpg

:rotate:

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I foresee that last panel being a meme for quite some time

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    To be fair, Johns made Sinestro a super interesting character.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

And The Rogues

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I kind of like the Evil Krypton origin sequence or whatever you want to call it.

I suppose it has a different name, though.

Krapton?

Fearghaill wrote: »

Forever-Evil-1-spoilers-Ultraman-Kryptonite-as-a-drug.jpg
    JUSTL_24_3.jpg

I meant villains like Black Adam, Space Hitler Sinestro and Captain Cold. :lol:

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I'm never not going to find Ultraman snorting kryptonite funny

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Keith wrote: »

And The Rogues

Except how he took Heatwave, Trickster, and Pied Piper, and retconned their respective reforms, as being the influence of the Top.

Note, the other guy who thought it was a good idea to undo a reformed villain's heroics via unseen brainwashing?

John Byrne.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

And The Rogues

The rogues have been interesting for decades. Hell, Cold got respect on the Suicide Squad.

Not exactly giving points for sometimes doing it right when other people laid all the ground.

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I also liked John's run with Atrocitus, untill that got perverted with the Red Lantern series

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    JUSTL_24_3.jpg

Using the "everyone in the alternate universe is an asshole" logic, wouldn't it have made more sense for one of his parents to try to steal the rocket for him/her self?

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    JUSTL_24_3.jpg

Using the "everyone in the alternate universe is an asshole" logic, wouldn't it have made more sense for one of his parents to try to steal the rocket for him/her self?

Something something living vicariously through your kids something something power of spite something.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Jor-Il should have tried to steal the rocket and Zod should've made sure Kal-Il was sent to Earth.

or

someone should have come up with a more creative and interesting origin for "evil superman" than "the exact same origin but everyone's an asshole"

Shut up and die, Fearghaill.

• Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    The whole point of Ultraman (and the Crime Syndicate) in all of his incarnations has been to be the dark reflection of Superman - not the Bizarro broken version, but a bit of a "What if" - honestly, I don't think this version is any worse than previous takes at Ultraman, and maybe a bit more thematically appropriate than some others.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    The whole point of Ultraman (and the Crime Syndicate) in all of his incarnations has been to be the dark reflection of Superman - not the Bizarro broken version, but a bit of a "What if" - honestly, I don't think this version is any worse than previous takes at Ultraman, and maybe a bit more thematically appropriate than some others.

Yeah I don't see the big problem. Keep in mind I'm only reading the main FE series and none of the tie-ins so I'm assuming those scans above are from Justice League (except for the snorting kryptonite part, I remember that from FE issue 1).

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    or

someone should have come up with a more creative and interesting origin for "evil superman" than "the exact same origin but everyone's an asshole"

Yeah

it really is quite pathetic, creatively speaking

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Honestly, it is pretty inline with some of the past Ultraman stories, but I think the bigger problem is that it was just unnecessary. The origins for everyone except Owlman and potentially Superwoman have been paper-thin and shitty, and to make up for that Johns has turned the gore and extremeness of it all up to 11.

It would've been more interesting to follow the new heroes popping up, like Doom Patrol and Metal Men, for the whole thing. At least it sounds like that's what we'll be getting for the last few tie-ins of the event, now that most of the origins have been covered.

Edit: Also, I want to point out that Scott Lobdell isn't writing anything for the first time in the New 52 (assuming he's also off of Superman in April). They've either come to their senses, or this is an extremely dark omen and means he'll be taking lead on something upcoming.

HadjiQuest on
  • Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Well, they're already doing 5 years later, so we already know it's going to get worse before it gets better.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I'm never not going to find Ultraman snorting kryptonite funny

It is the greatest thing Geoff Johns has or ever will write

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They should give Ultraman a TDKR Bane mask filled with Kryptonite gas.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    or

Yeah

Its barking up the wrong tree narratively speaking. Its a common misconception about SUperman that what makes him special is that he is an alien. They suggest, imply or just right with the assumption that his biological parents matter beyond the selfless act of saving their son. The writer want to show why Superman is evil so they show his biological parents as evil but they are not an influence on him and frankly I find the implication that SUperman is only so good because of his genetics to be disgusting.

The thing that makes Superman special is that he is a genuinely good person who wants to use his powers to help. His parents did that. His human parents. If you wanted to depict the backstory of an evil Superman its as easy as having him crash land somewhere else. Have him treated poorly and cruelly by his parents. Depict him as never having the chance to be the man he could be.

Why is it that there are only two people at DC capable of writing SUperman at all?

Quire.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    or

Yeah

Its barking up the wrong tree narratively speaking. Its a common misconception about SUperman that what makes him special is that he is an alien. They suggest, imply or just right with the assumption that his biological parents matter beyond the selfless act of saving their son. The writer want to show why Superman is evil so they show his biological parents as evil but they are not an influence on him and frankly I find the implication that SUperman is only so good because of his genetics to be disgusting.

The thing that makes Superman special is that he is a genuinely good person who wants to use his powers to help. His parents did that. His human parents. If you wanted to depict the backstory of an evil Superman its as easy as having him crash land somewhere else. Have him treated poorly and cruelly by his parents. Depict him as never having the chance to be the man he could be.

Why is it that there are only two people at DC capable of writing SUperman at all?

So... you mean like Superman: Red Sun?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    or

Yeah

So... you mean like Superman: Red Sun?

Turns out the "evil Superman" ghost written by Grant Morrison is actually based on the core of the character.

Quire.jpg
    or

Yeah

But in that JL issue his human parents are awful, too. Those pages weren't available in online previews though, so they haven't gotten around the Internet as much.

And Geoff Johns definitely gets Superman. His run on Action Comics with Gary Frank produced a lot of great stories, and led into World of New Krypton, which stretched out way too long and got consumed by the editorial event machine (and then didn't get a proper ending because they sped it to a conclusion to get JMS on Superman), but started off as something that could've been a definitive Superman story if it had been handled better and ran shorter.

The biggest problem here is that very few people have a real spin to put on the Crime Syndicate; to most writers, they're just one-dimensional characters (because in purpose, that's pretty much all they need to be). So we're getting these totally unnecessary origins where everyone has the same role, but is evil. Dr. Stein created Firestorm, but he's evil. Superman was blasted off Krypton by evil parents, and landed on earth to be raised by heroin-addicted bank robbers, and pa kent was a wife-beater. Johnny Quick is the flash, but evil.

There's just nowhere to go with it. The origins are totally unnecessary for everyone except Owlman (who is the only character with a history that has mattered to the story so far), and potentially Superwoman (whose history has been teased as being relevant to the current story). Everyone else is just there to be a dick version of their counterpart.

So I think it's mainly tie-in fatigue for a bunch of characters who are paper thin to begin with. I've never read Earth Two by Morrison & Quitely, but I'm assuming they're either the only people in the modern age who've given the CSA more depth, or they just completely ignored doing actual origin stories for them.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    So I think it's mainly tie-in fatigue for a bunch of characters who are paper thin to begin with. I've never read Earth Two by Morrison & Quitely, but I'm assuming they're either the only people in the modern age who've given the CSA more depth, or they just completely ignored doing actual origin stories for them.

Morrison ran with the pulp absurdity of it all. Earth 2 is like the mirror universe in Star Trek. JLA finds themselves in a universe where the bad guys are the good guys in goatees, the regular man on the street is a shitheel and no good deed goes unpunished. It's one of those Morrison stories where the heroes win by figuring out the narrative conventions that power the universe.

Johns depictions is actually in line with Morrison's to an extent, it's just that he's taking the setup seriously where Morrison just used it for a bit of fun.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    It is pretty silly to do all these origins for characters who are literally evil doppelgangers. Ultraman: Superman but evil, snorts kryptonite, hates the sun. Done in one sentence.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Grant Morrison's Ultraman origin was that he was an astronaut experimented on by aliens

I liked that as being an evil opposite origin

edited January 2014
    Solicits are trickling out.

Lobdell is still on Superman, but Snyder/Lee on Unchained is ending, so it's almost certain that JRjr will be taking over that book next month either with Snyder or another writer of equal profile.

Edit: Unless he's taking over Superman next issue which seems unlikely, but I really just want to know where JRjr will land.

HadjiQuest on
    man

JRjr Superman is not a thing I ever want in front of my eyes

man

JRjr Superman is not a thing I ever want in front of my eyes

Be glad he isn't writing it. Those who have read comics he wrote still haven't recovered their sanity.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Unchained doesn't even need to exist after Snyder and Lee are done.

This discussion has been closed.