As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Resistance: Avalon] Evil Wins. Arthur strangled. Merlin indicted for campaign fraud.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    So I'm confused. On the last page Kaneski declared left, right, and sideways that I was a minion because I "voted the right way on every mission", wherein he assumed that there were two minions in the group {Hedgethorn, Kirindal, Rhan9, and JDarksun}. But now he says that there was only one minion in that group. So the entire premise by which I was fingered in the first place was false! If I were really a minion, why would I vote against a mission on which I was the only minion?

I hope everyone else sees how he's just dragging people through the mud without sufficient justification.

Quoted for posterity.
    Kaneski wrote:
    Hedge first. What bugs me is that Hedge not only voted in perfect pattern to
    1. Likely bad guy
    2.1: Likely 2 bad guys
    2.2: Likely 1 bad guy
    Kaneski wrote:
    9. Since a lot of people wanted 3+1 (despite acknowledging the problem), the mission is rejected. I suspect that was the reason of a few votes there. Captain Hedgethorn votes no, but Broberon and Davoid vote yes. It is possible that I only caught 1 at the time - Captain Hedgethorn.

I also don't exactly remember "admitting that I'm a minion" -- but I've played this enough to know that when multiple groups suspect you, the only thing you can do is quiet down and hope the rest of the loyal knights can band together without you.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Kaneski wrote: »
    If you were good, you wouldn't even mention Percival or merlin. That was your own request if memory serves.

And you? Broberon. Though I might revise that to a known baddie if we somehow prove Davoid good.

Edit: or you know... To mordred, I guess if you have to limit it to that choice.

'kay. That was what I needed to know, thanks.

Brought it up because I needed to see which way you would jump. Sorry for the last couple pages - after you LotL'd Rhan it became quite important to know your alignment for sure, and the shortest way to a man's heart is through his ribcage.
    the_good__the_bad_and_the_ugly_by_morkovka55-d32f3cx.png

Sokpuppet on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Kaneski wrote: »
    If you were good, you wouldn't even mention Percival or merlin. That was your own request if memory serves.

And you? Broberon. Though I might revise that to a known baddie if we somehow prove Davoid good.

Edit: or you know... To mordred, I guess if you have to limit it to that choice.

'kay. That was what I needed to know, thanks.

Brought it up because I needed to see which way you would jump. Sorry for the last couple pages - after you LotL'd Rhan it became quite important to know your alignment for sure, and the shortest way to a man's heart is through his ribcage.
    the_good__the_bad_and_the_ugly_by_morkovka55-d32f3cx.png
    And what did you find out?

edited January 2014
    Not really as much as I would've liked.
    Either Kaneski and Rhan are good, and Davoid is evil - or Kaneski and Rhan are evil.

Kaneski has voted NAY every single time, (almost) always on the minority. I inferred he must have some outside information.
    If he were on the side of good and had outside information, he would be most likely to accuse me of being Mordred.
    If he were on the side of evil and had outside information, he would be most likely to accuse me of being Broberon. Especially if he, himself, were Broberon. I realize that cuts both ways...

Other folks should keep an eye on where Rhan sends the Lady of the Lake next and try to draw inferences from that. But basically what should be clear to everyone at this point is that A.) Kaneski is not Merlin and B.) Kaneski has outside information about the gamestate.

Sokpuppet on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwdypLFy8Pk

Round 3 is always where it gets interesting.

Kaneski's analysis I would say is very good, except it assumes one fact I know is wrong, which is that I am a spy. I am not a spy, so there has to be a major problem with his analysis. Like, a huge gaping flaw. I'm at work at the moment, so I can't engage entirely, but if I am evil, it would make sense from that perspective. Because I am not, I have to conclude he has put together an inverse story discounting himself and possibly Rhan (although, he wouldn't have much to lose in declaring Rhan a good guy, I'd say... it would help him establish trust. I know I've used that strategy as a spy.)

rqv6.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    You and Sokpuppet are both suspicious muthafuckas to me.
    Kaneski too, a bit, but I can't exactly do much about that at this point in the game.

Again, I don't blame you. I was on that mission too, and all I know is all 3 of you are problematic to me. If Broberon was on the mission, than that is another wrench in the cogs. I know I can't really trust any of you. The problem is if the game doesn't get to a point where we're in a good position (2 wins by round 4) where we're going to have to hammer it all out and hopefully not go down the wrong path.

Kaneski is onto a few things though. I have played games where the spies co-ordinated and blamed each other, splitting the table and effectively leading each side down to defeat.

rqv6.png
    Davoid wrote: »
    Kaneski's analysis I would say is very good, except it assumes one fact I know is wrong.

This is sort've the textbook red flag. You look for people with "very good analysis" which is subtly wrong.
    It's easy to have great analysis when you already know everyone's alignment.

• KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Jdark - not a retcon.

Captain - the 1 bad guy was you, which I could only say in retrospect after LoLing rhan. Excerpts out of context will not do.

Sok/Davoid - it would only be a red flag, if your allegiance was public knowledge. Only you "know" that subtle wrong thing, and you have the reason to claim its wrong.

It's easy to have great analysis when you already know everyone's alignment.

It is, isn't it, Mr "I trust Hedgethorn. Yes I do." for no reason. :P

Kaneski on
    So who's yet to vote? When I wake up in the morning, I expect results and controversy, dammit!

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    @Rhan9 and @Mikey CTS for voting. It is your civic duty. Obey.

Basically, what I'm getting from this is that I should probably trust one of you, and that the other is probably a spy. I'm sorta inclined against Kaneski much more so because, well, he's saying I'm a spy, so yea. I'm kinda going "uh..." about that...

rqv6.png
    Oh, no. There's no particular reason to trust me.
    But we do have a pretty decent shot at assembling a successful mission 3 even without me on it, I think.

There's no reason to trust me either, I realize. I just know that now that I'm being accused, I have to be more observant of what we're all doing.

rqv6.png
    Right, voted. I missed the team suggestion.

Okay, it's a binary choice. NO you cannot vote for a third party candidate.

And whoever wrote in "lizard people", I hate you.

@Mikey CTS for last vote poke.

Well, whoever Mikey is, at least now he knows of the virtues of democratic rule.

@Mikey CTS come on man don't be Florida

edited January 2014
    Cross-posting to spice things up while the elevator music plays:
    Davoid wrote: »
    We did a game of Resistance: Avalon, last night. Usually a game of Resistance involves a lot of talking, accusations, laughing...

Avalon was different. I think there were maybe 10 words spoken over the entire course of the games. It was just glancing at each other, eye contact, trying to figure out if anyone was trying to communicate anything or signal anyone. Every single movement was scrutinized. Voting happened when someone slowly reached for their vote markers and everyone followed suite, never once breaking eye contact with the table.

It was basically this: I ended up being merlin two games in a row. We didn't play with percival or morgana or anything, just merlin.

Both games, the spies almost, almost called me out at the end, but changed their minds at the last second thinking I was laying a trap for them. I needed a drink after each game, ha ha, my nerves were shot.

I am known in Resistance to double bluff, triple bluff, lay a trap in a prior game by using a tactic (while saying the tactic out loud) and then double bluffing in the next game by using the same tactic (while stating that I am while also stating that I know they know it from a previous game while stating that I expect them to think I am playing it again in a bluffing fashion but I am not really, I am being sincere... or am I?) knowing that players will think I expect them to think I am playing in a reversed fashion when I'm not (I know you know that I know you know that I know you know...)

Avalon was straight up the closest game I have ever played to a straight out western style shoot out. Every movement of the eye, every slight movement anyone made was watched.

Sokpuppet on
    edited January 2014
    I've never played it before, I ended up almost having a heart attack, ha ha. The spies were just staring at me after game end, and I was just staring back holding my breath, and one would start to open their mouth and someone would say "no wait, maybe it was her, maybe he was tricking us".

...and then I would need a cigarette and a shot of whiskey so my nerves would stop killing me, ha ha.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    About 4 months ago, it was one of my first games of vanilla resistance, I was a spy, and 2 other spies already more or less outed themselves. Good guys could peg spies to 2 people out of 4.

8 players, so 3 spies. Good guys had 2 wins and it was mission 4. It took me around 5 mins to convince the good guys that it didnt matter if we got 1 spy out of that 4, because hey, mission 4 needs 2 fails.

Miraculously they agreed and me and one of the 2 other bad guys are sent. And... she forgets to fail the mission.

I was in hysterics, laughing, to the confusion of good guys. After, short on breath, I explained the situation, everyone was on on the floor. Figuratively. Me - literally. Couldn't stand up for 10 minutes.

@Mikey CTS to the white courtesy phone...

edited January 2014
    Okay I'm going to go to bed soon and if we haven't heard from Mikey tomorrow maybe I'll find a substitute? That sound okay?

Professor Phobos on
    Little choice if we wanna continue.

Unfortunately Resistance isn't the kind of game that takes subs readily... I mean... imagine Sok or I getting swapped? Everything we said - nullified.

Oh, nothing you've said can be nullified. We know your role. :)

Oh, nothing you've said can be nullified. We know your role. :)

<3

Though it would be awesome if someone replaced me, found out my loyalty, then read from page 1... wonder if they'd check phobo's pm to make sure they're good. :D

It'll be pretty hilarious if I misread and Davoid is the evil dude you've been bussing and Rhan/Hedge are good, yeah...
    I'll never live it down.

Humm... I wonder... to mitigate future problems of this sort, ie people leaving, if with votes to game runner, each person gave a... 1-2 sentence summary of why they voted the way they did. This way at least a replacement could at least pick up the thread, rather than full nullification.

Because I feel like a second game WILL happen

alright, with a heavy heart, I have to solicit a replacement for Mikey.

While we're looking for someone, that someone can be Mikey CTS if he appears, of course. Do we have any lurkers who've been following the action? They would probably be the best choice.

Nevermind! He has appeared, resurrected from a bout with the flu.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Someone gave me the flu at my own birthday party. Rude.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    Happy Birthday!!

rqv6.png
    Happy flu!

• KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Happy Birthday, Mikey!

Happy fluday!

Happy voteday!

edited January 2014
    QUEST THREE, VOTE TWO RESULTS:

Kiridal, Hedgethorn, Davoid, Megamek, Kaneski and Mikey CTS vote AYE. (Total: 6)
    Sokpuppet, Jdarksun, Phyphor and Rhan9 vote NAY. (Total 4)

The AYES have it. Quest will go forward!

@Kirindal, @Megamek, @Mikey CTS, @Phyphor: Send me your success/fail choices, please.

Professor Phobos on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I did not expect that to pass.