As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
edited February 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
@Podly wrote a better OP so here:

true-detective-poster.jpg

I know, I thought the same thing. Matthew McConaughey is just a a dude that is in movies with his shirt off.

matthew-mcconaughey-image-294442-article-ajust_930.jpg

But he's in a show where sometimes he looks like this

matthew-mcconaughey-in-true-detective.jpg

and sometimes he looks like this

n-TRUE-DETECTIVE-MCCONAUGHEY-300x200.jpg

and does cocaine off a bowie knife

It's True Detective!

The best first season since Breaking Bad, True Detective is a murder mystery set in 90's bayou Louisiana. But it is so much more than that. It's like if the love child of Faulkner and Pynchon wrote Heart of Darkness and someone wanted to make a follow up to Twin Peaks.

I know that's all your favorite things! They're mine too.

A note on spoilers:

Please place appropriate labeled spoiler tags on anything outside of the actual canon of the show (interviews, previews, theories etc)

Anything in the actual television show will not be spoilered, so please be careful and make sure you're caught up before reading the newest posts!

stevemarks44 on

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Was contemplating firing up a thread for this, glad you saved me the trouble. Watched the first one yesterday, and yeah, it's pretty amazing.

Interesting bit in (IIRC) Forbes about it, and how it differed significantly from most other shows. So basically while this is running episodes, it's essentially an eight-hour movie. The screenplays were all written by a single writer, and every episode is directed by a single director. They're not sure they'll be able to do that for future seasons (and this is intended, if it gets renewed, to be a mini-series/anthology show, a la American Horror Story), but it'll be interesting to see what effect it has on this season.

I think my favorite part of the first episode, and definitely dark, was when Cohle...
    ...tells the detectives to go get him some beers. The whole "because it's Thursday, and Thursday's my day off, and I start drinkin' at noon on my day off," and blowing the money at them, was delivered in a way that was simultaneously comedic, but incredibly and seriously depressing. Especially to anybody who's had people close to them struggle with alcohol.

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I'm going to spoiler my whole post just because the pilot's structure is so interesting.
    I'm obsessed with shows that give you an end-game and then put you back to the start. Whereas you're able to consume information as it's given in most narrative dramas, with shows like Breaking Bad or True Detective, every piece of info needs to be processed and filtered so that you can try and match it up against the end-game you've seen.

What sets off Cohle's relapse? What happened between them? They seem to have a strained relationship, but Cohle almost seems endearing at the end of the dinner.

Also, the way the show temporally jumps around, where will our anchor be? Are we going to get a present-day Cohle and Hart trying to solve a new case? Will the new case be the second season? Will we jump between the two timelines or was that a device only for the pilot? (doubtful)

I honestly don't have much to contribute yet other than questions.

My favorite part this week was definitely the scene where Cohle explains his worldview to Hart. Not only because it's a great monologue, but Harrelson sells his genuine world-breaking disgust in such a genuine way. He doesn't just think Cohle is weird, he feels like Cohle just violated his worldview. He's opening up a real darkness that Hart has either ignored or never known, and I think that will be very interesting as it plays out, especially since we see Cohle so broken down, and such a sterile version of Hart in the future.

What is Hart burying? And when will we see it come out?!

From the interview I read, we can expect this story to be entirely concluded at the end of this season. I don't expect we'll see Harrelson or McConaughey back either. These eight episodes are, I believe, all we will get with these characters.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Yup, every season is a completely new story - the American Horror Story model (though with an entirely new cast as well).

Really liked the first episode - looking forward to see how it develops.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Alright. I'm going to trust you on this Stevey

steam_sig.png
    I'm both mortified and delighted at the thought of an entirely new show.

I'm trying to teach my brain to accept a television model that doesn't drive characters I love into the ground with like 10 seasons. So I'll have to love these characters and move on.

And def give it a shot, DUE. The show doesn't seem "confusing", as in, if you don't like the first ep, I doubt the series will be for you.

I'm curious where it will go. Not quite hooked but curious.

steam_sig.png
    I love it because you don't need to be hooked. It's eight episodes. It's about as low a commitment as TV gets. Though I think in the end we'll be sad to see it end (even if more unrelated series are coming).

The other part that got me this episode, with Cohle...
    ...was seeing his apartment. I'm not saying my place was quite that bad, but...yeah. I remember having a single floor lamp in the corner, nothing on the walls, no shelves, no real decorations...and a mattress on the floor (in the bedroom). I lived like that for longer than I should have when the ex and I split up. And I may have drank a little more than I should, too...

...basically I'm saying I may or may not identify with this character more than is healthy. Though I'd say I'm a little sexier.

I do completely identify with the character. When Woody mentioned he felt bad for the guy I expected some sort of sloppy mess.

But nope. I've lived in that place. It's not that bad. Is it :\

(Don't answer)

steam_sig.png
    What's funny is that I identified with the internal struggle of his character. Once you start digging up those existential wells of despair (as I am wont to do) it's hard to not find yourself feeling like an alien every so often.

I think it says something about the show that we've even gone this many posts without really even talking about the actual plot.

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Man I wish I could purchase HBO Go without a cable subscription. This looks good, and I'm 99% certain sight unseen that these two actors will be phenomenal together.

Should we talk about how much pot they've probably done together

steam_sig.png
    Should we talk about how much pot they've probably done together

Im surprised there isn't a cloud of smoke every time they get out of the squad car.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I watched both this and the new Archer back to back, with Archer going first.

Next time, Archer is going after True Detective. It's a great show and it looks phenomenal, but Jesus it is some heavy heavy shit and I'm going to need something funny afterwards to improve my mood.

I do enjoy being reminded that Woody Harrelson is such a damn good actor. I forget that fact every so often.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, Woody gets a bum rap because he plays in a lot of cheeseball and oddball stuff. Dude really is a great actor, though.

EDIT: I'm curious how they're keeping that shirt on McConaughey. Do they have to CGI it on for some of the scenes?

mcdermott on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Btw, for anyone who wants to know the symbolism behind the stuff in the first episode, courteousy of having several pagan friends:

In any event, the wife and I really enjoyed the first episode, and we are hooked for the season.

And yeah, I am more like McConahey's character than I'd like to admit, myself.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Words cannot describe how much I love this show.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Btw, for anyone who wants to know the symbolism behind the stuff in the first episode, courteousy of having several pagan friends:

In any event, the wife and I really enjoyed the first episode, and we are hooked for the season.

You mean a manic depressed alcoholic with the most delightful combination of white trash hair and facial hair imaginable?

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The show stars two actors you'd never think you wanted to see together, but now I can't imagine them apart. [/center]

I've been waiting for this dream team reunion since Edtv. Not disappointed at all.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I just watched the season premiere of The Following and then True Detective episode 2.

Now I need a neckbrace to recover from the mood and quality whiplash.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    So, going on what everything I've ever learned from noire murder mysteries...
    I think we've already met the killer, probably in the first episode. I think the obvious twist, one that I almost feel they've hinted at and isn't going to be the case because of too obviousness, is that Rust Cohle is actually the killer.

And I don't see that happening, unless the writers really did watch Frailty and decide to turn it into an eight hour affair.

So my current bet? The governor's preacher brother. Just call it a gut feeling, but I think he's going to end up being the one ultimately responsible for the killings.

Obviously, it's a long shot based on a gut feeling. But what I'm all but certain of is that, whoever it is, it's someone that's already been on the screen. It could just as easily be one of the random witnesses they've questioned, like Clarke Peters' character.

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I think that because Harrelson has a certain manner of communicating and that draw people tend to associate him most strongly with certain types of roles, but he has a tremendous range people tend to overlook. I like him so much because he makes it look effortless, I never feel like he's acting. And this reminds me that I need to find a way to watch the first episode without resorting to piracy.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Amazing first two episodes. HBO CEO of Tits did not disappoint last night.

• ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    Sagroth wrote: »

Along these lines, the second episode had a quite explicit reference to
    The King in Yellow, an anthology by Robert Chambers which is an excellent read. It influenced (and I think was referenced by) H.P. Lovecraft among many others. The notebook/diary they look at has a fragment of the eponymous play.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I just watched the season premiere of The Following and then True Detective episode 2.

Why would you do this to yourself? I... I thought you were better than that...

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    It seems to me that Rust (by ep 2)
    is fucking with them. He smokes in there. The wording the detectives gave "you cant do that in here anymore", leads me to believe he was locked up or removed from society for a long time somehow. The wording is just so specific, like Rust wouldn't have known the world changed.

The smoking thing throws me, why do they have to talk about it in that room? couldn't they do the whole process at a bar or rust's shack? I thought Rust was a prisoner at first, his shirt is similar but my eyes are bad and I realized it was just a regular button up shirt. But that could be an intentional illusion as well based on the other stuff. They act like he can't leave either, which fits in with him telling them to go buy him beer.

He asks them to get his beer, the reasoning so he can get drunk/drink. in ep 2 2 beers in he has a flask out. The dynamic is that he is a person of no power, but with the leverage(all of it so far), and he is deducting what is going on the whole time.

We also assume there being interviewed on the same day, and it looks like the same room. they just sit in different positions with very set camera angles. But I am not convinced. In fact,
    I wonder if one is already dead while interviewing the other, and they are trying to figure out what happened in order to catch the original guy.

edit: I understand some of this is reaching, even reaching really badly. I just like running with my curiosity on what is going to happen.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    It seems to me that Rust (by ep 2)
    is fucking with them. He smokes in there. The wording the detectives gave "you cant do that in here anymore", leads me to believe he was locked up or removed from society for a long time somehow. The wording is just so specific, like Rust wouldn't have known the world changed.

The smoking thing throws me, why do they have to talk about it in that room? couldn't they do the whole process at a bar or rust's shack? I thought Rust was a prisoner at first, his shirt is similar but my eyes are bad and I realized it was just a regular button up shirt. But that could be an intentional illusion as well based on the other stuff. They act like he can't leave either, which fits in with him telling them to go buy him beer.

He asks them to get his beer, the reasoning so he can get drunk/drink. in ep 2 2 beers in he has a flask out. The dynamic is that he is a person of no power, but with the leverage(all of it so far), and he is deducting what is going on the whole time.

We also assume there being interviewed on the same day, and it looks like the same room. they just sit in different positions with very set camera angles. But I am not convinced. In fact,
    I wonder if one is already dead while interviewing the other, and they are trying to figure out what happened in order to catch the original guy.

Regarding your first question/statement:
    I believe one of the questioning detectives mentions something about Rusty living off the grid for 8 years

jefe414 on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Amazing first two episodes. HBO CEO of Tits did not disappoint last night.

Seriously. I mean, I know this thread should be dedicated to deep meaningful conversation about the show and its themes, but, dear lord, Alexandra Daddario is spectacular looking. Premium cable + Actress looking to prove she can take more serious, "adult" roles = Wow.

Sorry. I'll stop being a perv now...

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    After watching the first episode I made some wisecracks about present-day Rust obviously having taken some SAN loss and present-day Martin clearly being a cultist and wouldn't it be fun if this gradually turned into Lovecraft mythos, wink wink nudge nudge.

Then in episode 2
    they mention the goddamn King in Yellow.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Echo wrote: »
    After watching the first episode I made some wisecracks about present-day Rust obviously having taken some SAN loss and present-day Martin clearly being a cultist and wouldn't it be fun if this gradually turned into Lovecraft mythos, wink wink nudge nudge.

Then in episode 2
    they mention the goddamn King in Yellow.

My mind ran like fuck with this. From a conspiracy theory angle a lot of stuff fits. How they are telling the story, how the story is going to change every season, etc. I'm prepared to be disappointing, but it was be the best bait and switch, especially after the first conversation
    where rust comes up with all that info, and the other guy just goes "you're reading too much into this just seeing the first glance". It works on several levels

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    After 2 episodes, my preliminary prediction for the killer is
    Hart. During his interviews, he's constantly making little comments about Rust, that he was odd, he wasn't quite right. It looks, to me, like he is trying to cast suspicion on Rust. I think they had a falling out, probably over the smell of Hart's fingers, and Hart has a hate hardon for Rust. At this point in the show, he isn't supposed to know there has been another killing, but he does know the detectives are trying to "jam somebody up." I think he's throwing Rust under the bus.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I keep expecting past-Rust to eventually just explode into extreme violence. Guy's wound up tight.

And I love how Matt McConaughey plays him, all walking around with dead eyes.

Echo wrote: »
    I keep expecting past-Rust to eventually just explode into extreme violence.

Eventually?
    Toolbox to the dome was already pretty X-treme!

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I don't know where this is going, but I'm hooked.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    God damn this show is so good.

I am pretty awestruck by it.

Invisible wrote: »
    I don't know where this is going, but I'm hooked.

I'm loving all the theorycrafting so far in the thread. Honestly I'm largely along for the ride. This show is just so damn beautiful, it sucks you in, and it just happens.

jefe414 wrote: »

Why would you do this to yourself? I... I thought you were better than that...

I haven't watched the second season premiere yet. I actually quit watching the first season after episode three...then a little while back I got bored. And there it was. And it wasn't good. It was barely mediocre. But it was there, and it was easy. It's the masturbation of TV drama. It doesn't actually feel all that great, but you do it anyway, even when you feel ashamed afterwards. And you know you're gonna do it again soon enough.

Too far?

Seriously, fuck that show. But I've got the first episode on DVR.

I think I quit after the third episode too. I liked the cast but the writing.... man I don't think I've ever seen a 'serious drama" written is such a way that EVERYONE is completely stupid.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I was thinking of making a post for True Detective if somebody didn't, so thanks for doing it. My wife and I are loving the show so far. The mood they set is brilliant, and the acting is just amazing.

I was so glad when I saw the show is going to be anthology style. Some of my favorite shows and the best shows of all time are the ones that run many seasons letting us see how characters develop and what not, but when it comes to stories like this one, I feel like there'd be no way to keep up the quality if you're constantly asking the viewer to wait until next season to get resolution.

It's like a great crime movie, except we get close to 8 hours of it.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Great show, great format. I'd love it if we end up having two unreliable narrators and they never make it clear what the actual story was....even if it's extremely unlikely, won't spoil the satisfaction of it at all.

zeeny on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i love this show. i kinda wish i had waited for the dvd or something so i have the full season because waiting week by week is now going to kill me.