As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How honest should i be on a self-evaluation.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular

It's not exactly a self-eval...its a little report my boss has us write about various things that we did the previous year...mostly to remind him of things he may have forgotten about. This past year I had a death in the family around febuary and while i didnt really know it at the time i think i became somewhat depressed and very unmotivated. Around september/oct i could see the work i was doing now was much more productive then it was previously, and Its what had me think i was suffering more from the death and was just starting to get out of it and focus more. I dont know if i should mention this or not since it seems to me that while my boss isnt a heartless bastard, It might sound like a bit of an excuse or covering my own ass.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Just stick to highlights. Surely you set something up or learned something new or were on whatever committee.

Bringing up the other stuff is likely to have him thinking about your temporary poor performance which he likely knows about.

If it is anything like the self evaluation my girlfriend does at her corporate job, the point is to really remind them why they should give you a raise. To sell your value. Not to put forth your shortcomings which they already know.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    You are outstanding in all categories. Make them prove that wrong.

• Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    I just had to do mine. I highlighted the strengths and if I was a leader/point-person for any projects. I was honest about certain areas where I lacked training, but followed it up with the willing to take additional training to properly be educated in said area. I also did this so the company can pay for the training if they are willing (my company does pay for training/classes for work related advancement).

In terms of areas lacking, you can mention it, but it would be wise to follow up with what you can do to change it. But in your case of working after a death in the family, it is expected that some shortcoming may occur in the weeks after, but you haven't stayed in that funk correct? If so, then I wouldn't bother mentioned it at all.

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Agreed. In my opinion, having employees write their own evaluations is BS (I had to do that for years). So talk about how great you are (don't get too crazy), and they can downgrade it if they want.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Corporate self-evaluations are largely about salary reviews and most companies don't use them for anything else. Lip service may be paid to other stuff, but unless you are already getting good feedback and mentorship around your previous review, it probably won't be used in that fashion at all.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

nope - this just shows that you're either A. dishonest or B. deluded... neither are a desirable skill in an employee, and a competent manager will rightfully smack you down for it

be honest - with a tendency towards overly positive.

illig on
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Here's a tip:

When writing a self-evaluation don't compare the work you did to YOUR OWN BEST, compare the quality of your work and your contributions to those of your peers/people at your same level. Doing this will help recognize the things you did that may be above and beyond and should be highlighted in your evaluation.

If you grew up with parents like mine "Dad, I got a 98 on the test!" Dad: "What happened to the other two points? Someone must have got 100.", you may end up feeling like doing your work perfectly is just the bare minimum when to the people above you may be a rock star.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    My team does self-evals. I write about what you've done well in the last year, that I remember, and I expect you to suggest to me what areas you personally think you need to improve in most. I'll correct and provide some guidance, but I get great responses from my good employees and BS "outstanding" from my shitty ones.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    If you really feel compelled to bring up the death in the family, use it to make the good work you were able to do look more impressive. Like, "I successfully recovered after losing *close family member* and was able to complete X project."

• Options
    illig wrote: »

nope - this just shows that you're either A. dishonest or B. deluded... neither are a desirable skill in an employee, and a competent manager will rightfully smack you down for it

be honest - with a tendency towards overly positive.
    Competent managers don't smack their employees down for tooting their own horns during evaluations. Competent managers know they are largely bullshit. I know who my performers are, but if I leave, my replacement won't. If they bring in an outside consultant they won't, and neither does hr. There is 0 incentive to talk about your shortcomings for the sake of "honesty."

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    If you have to talk about a bad thing you still don't really talk about it. You say you want more training in x area or you want to improve your number in x metric or sell more wing dings. You don't need to remind them you only sold 10 wing dings in march.

5 months is a pretty long time for your work to suffer through. You don't have to say you are the greatest man alive, and I'd recommend honestly saying where you would like to improve. But you still want to play up your strengths and downplay your weaknesses. You need to advocate for yourself.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    As PacStar said, it's about you vs. your peers. Don't worry about times you did better vs. worse too much, as most people have rhythms of high and low performance due to any number of factors. Focus on the things you accomplished in the year, how they helped the company and yourself grow, and highlight an area where you would like more experience or to grow more as "spaces to improve", as it will often be the impetus for your boss sending you to a conference or training. Downsides like "needs more experience with external exposure" aren't true detriments if the reason behind it is a lack of opportunity from management.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    It's not exactly a self-eval...its a little report my boss has us write about various things that we did the previous year...mostly to remind him of things he may have forgotten about. This past year I had a death in the family around febuary and while i didnt really know it at the time i think i became somewhat depressed and very unmotivated. Around september/oct i could see the work i was doing now was much more productive then it was previously, and Its what had me think i was suffering more from the death and was just starting to get out of it and focus more. I dont know if i should mention this or not since it seems to me that while my boss isnt a heartless bastard, It might sound like a bit of an excuse or covering my own ass.

You should be completely self-serving, and you shouldn't even feel bad about it. You're not having a discussion with your wife; you're marketing your value to your commercial employer.

These people will fire you in a heartbeat the instant they perceive an advantage in doing so. Communicate with them accordingly.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    You should be completely self-serving, and you shouldn't even feel bad about it. You're not having a discussion with your wife; you're marketing your value to your commercial employer.

These people will fire you in a heartbeat the instant they perceive an advantage in doing so. Communicate with them accordingly.
    I regret I can only agree to this once.

I find the ideological who have never really been screwed good by a company talk about the give and take, the merits of being honest on evals and really talk it up about a partnership.

Always protect yourself. Your employer holds a significant economic advantage over you. Evaluations are a way they use to discriminate. These employees had negative comments, these employees didn't. If anyone thinks their employer is going to screw them send me a PM. I can help you be productive and practical about it.

On the plus side. I feel like I've only ever screwed one person professionally. I feel a little bad about it, but I also stuck my neck out and helped someone get into a better position with a different organization, so maybe it equals out?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Well, I don't feel like you should be dishonest, but you should be "resume honest" in terms of talking up your good points and minimizing your deficiencies. That said, make sure you at least pay minor lip service to things you aren't good at, as part of a GOOD self-eval process is understanding if you know your own weaknesses. If you completely gloss over them or omit them, your boss may say "he doesn't even know enough to know where he sucks". It's a fine balance, but if you keep an overly optimistic balance, you'll likely be fine.

As a sample, I'm a bit of a techy, but I work in a business role. Sometimes I go too deep with my technical explanations to management, so on my self eval, the things I need to work on include "Schuss can get too technical at times, and should work on bringing things up a level when discussing with management." It's a clear thing to work on, but not necessarily a detriment as it demonstrates comfort and skill with the material, just a tweak to everyday discourse.

• Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    I have been on both ends of these things. First, if you had any performence problems, they were documented if neccessary. If they weren't documented, then why bring them up? If they WERE documented, than they already know. What they likely didn't document is all the hard work you did, all of the assignments or projects you completed on time etc. This is the company asking, "Why should we give you more money?" - respond by selling them on yourself, not giving them reason's deny you a raise.

Any time an evaluation asks about a weakness, or area you can improve on, pick one that you can focus on and improve. This will strengthen your longterm position with the company over time. When they look at your file and it says "I will work on my skills regarding XYZ" and the next eval you state proficiency, or higher skill level with that thing, it shows commitment, resolve etc.

Lastly, you are selling yourself, so let me give you a little thing I picked up when I used to do sales. You ALWAY list the positve things one at a time, and any time you are talking negative, try and group them together in pairs or under a larger umbrella

So, don't say "I need to work on my e-mail skills. I need to learn Excel." It's "I need to improve my computer skills." You have to be your own PR person. If any of this is hard for you (I hate doing these because I feel like I am bragging), then think of how you would evaluate a fellow employee if you wanted to show them in a positive light. Now pretend that they did all the work that you did, how would you get them a raise?

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”