As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo Scavenger

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I had a really good run going for awhile there, had a shopping cart and lots of clothes, food and water, two crowbars and...
    I had the urn and was heading back to Detroit

when some random looter tried to loot me when I was sleeping and somehow got the better of me. Hmm. That was sort of disappointing. It was just bad luck he got the right hit in and I didn't. That sort of thing though has cooled me on the game a bit and I'm putting it down for now. I should have been more cautious but I had the advantage over him in terms of weapon and traits and I still lost.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I should have been more cautious but I had the advantage over him in terms of weapon and traits and I still lost.

Now you know how final bosses feel.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Just took down my first deer.
    "Like veal" nothin'
    I've got the real deal.

I think technically you have venison.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I should have been more cautious but I had the advantage over him in terms of weapon and traits and I still lost.

Now you know how final bosses feel.

Oh no, I am the villain! The looter was the plucky hero!

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Is there any repair mechanic? Like, if my shopping cart is running low on durability, and I find a cart-frame while scavenging, can I use it to fix up my full shopping cart at all? Because if not, @dcfedor should consider it.

Still loving the game. My char from last night died, but my new one has actually made it to the Big City.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Got my second or third character still going after 4 or 5 days or so. Box cart full of crap, a backpack (finally!), a crowbar, binoculars, and several layers of clothes. Finally starting to figure out the crafting system and getting the hang of the containers within containers within containers inventory system.

Figured out which berries to avoid and figured out how to get water from the land and meat from corpses, so I'm doing pretty well. I also found a rifle and some bullets but I'm not sure if they're the right kind, or how that even works.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Is there any repair mechanic? Like, if my shopping cart is running low on durability, and I find a cart-frame while scavenging, can I use it to fix up my full shopping cart at all? Because if not, @dcfedor should consider it.

Still loving the game. My char from last night died, but my new one has actually made it to the Big City.

I had a fur coat fall apart into fur scraps, which could presumably be repaired into a coat. I expect carts will behave in a similar fashion. Wheels and wheel-less carts are certainly common enough.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    dcfedordcfedor NEO Scavenger developer, Blue Bottle Games founder Wooded hills of BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey guys! Glad to see your adventures continue to entertain in apocalyptic Michigan!
    Is there (currently, or planned for the future) any way to "level up" and get more skill slots, or get new skills via plot events? Or are the ones you tag at the start of the game what you're locked in with forever?

So far, there are a couple additional abilities one can obtain later in the game. I have a few ideas for more. In all cases, they're encounter-based, though. I don't have plans for leveling-up in the traditional RPG sense. Most new skills and traits will have to come from discrete events, such as prosthetics or a horrible accident.
    Drake wrote: »
    What's the difference between a man and a howling animal? Five minutes after coming out of the tank is the difference.

Hells yes.

Sorry for the anticlimax! This is one of the bigger hurdles in trying to make NEO Scavenger feel like traditional paper RPGs. No human GM to fudge a die roll for narrative reasons. I've thought about adding some checks for things like this (e.g. one-shot kills against player, unlucky streaks, etc.), but I also don't want to be too heavy-handed with it, as it then feels like the game is cheating for you, which is just as bad.

Tricky dilemma!

Sort of. You can rebuild items like the cart if you have the requisite pieces. And in fact, if the cart breaks, you should get at least some of the parts back from it (albeit in worse shape than they went in). So if you have the tools, parts, and know-how, yes.
    I also found a rifle and some bullets but I'm not sure if they're the right kind, or how that even works.

Most weapons with ammo are containers, so placing the ammo inside them loads the weapon. But different weapons take different ammo, and without the ranged skill, you'll have to resort to trial and error to see if they fit.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    dcfedor wrote: »
    Hey guys! Glad to see your adventures continue to entertain in apocalyptic Michigan!
    Is there (currently, or planned for the future) any way to "level up" and get more skill slots, or get new skills via plot events? Or are the ones you tag at the start of the game what you're locked in with forever?

So far, there are a couple additional abilities one can obtain later in the game. I have a few ideas for more. In all cases, they're encounter-based, though. I don't have plans for leveling-up in the traditional RPG sense. Most new skills and traits will have to come from discrete events, such as prosthetics or a horrible accident.
    What's the difference between a man and a howling animal? Five minutes after coming out of the tank is the difference.

Hells yes.

Sorry for the anticlimax! This is one of the bigger hurdles in trying to make NEO Scavenger feel like traditional paper RPGs. No human GM to fudge a die roll for narrative reasons. I've thought about adding some checks for things like this (e.g. one-shot kills against player, unlucky streaks, etc.), but I also don't want to be too heavy-handed with it, as it then feels like the game is cheating for you, which is just as bad.

Tricky dilemma!

Sort of. You can rebuild items like the cart if you have the requisite pieces. And in fact, if the cart breaks, you should get at least some of the parts back from it (albeit in worse shape than they went in). So if you have the tools, parts, and know-how, yes.
    I also found a rifle and some bullets but I'm not sure if they're the right kind, or how that even works.

Most weapons with ammo are containers, so placing the ammo inside them loads the weapon. But different weapons take different ammo, and without the ranged skill, you'll have to resort to trial and error to see if they fit.

You've created a D&D game outside a D&D setting with a low tech overhead and incredible depth and tapped that feeling we had when we first played Fallout.

Kill me as often as you need. Dash us upon the rocks and bathe in our money.

• Options
    dcfedor wrote: »

Hells yes.

Tricky dilemma!

You've created a D&D game outside a D&D setting with a low tech overhead and incredible depth and tapped that feeling we had when we first played Fallout.

I'm more impressed by a developer who comes back and communicates regularly, beyond an initial "I'm glad you like my game, now everyone else come over and buy it!" post.

• Options
    Where was it explained that the magnifying glass means scavenge?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Fallout was never this harsh. You walk out of that vault with some real clothes on your back, a home to come back to and a trusty pistol.

In Neo Scavenger, you crawl out of the window practically naked after avoiding being eaten and then spend the rest of the night contemplating what you have become after savagely beating a hobo to death with a big ass stick for a chance to survive another day.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Last character finally died after 6 days; poisoning. I guess I should have figured out how to purify water? Or maybe it was bad mushrooms or something. I dunno. Next two characters died with 12 hours of emerging from the cryotube. One of them I made the mistake of starting without Medicine and ended up passing out or something in a fight because I took sleeping pills instead of painkillers earlier that day.

Now I've got a new guy with Botany who's doing ok, but constantly being assaulted. Then his sled and sleeping bag disappeared, presumably stolen while he slept or something.

Not sure how they got my sleeping bag with me in it, but ok. At least I still have my backpack! Oh, and they took the time to drop my backup wrench out of the sled before skulking off with it. I think they're taunting me. Jerks. I don't need two wrenches, I need my sled!

• Options
    Last character finally died after 6 days; poisoning. I guess I should have figured out how to purify water? Or maybe it was bad mushrooms or something. I dunno. Next two characters died with 12 hours of emerging from the cryotube. One of them I made the mistake of starting without Medicine and ended up passing out or something in a fight because I took sleeping pills instead of painkillers earlier that day.

Now I've got a new guy with Botany who's doing ok, but constantly being assaulted. Then his sled and sleeping bag disappeared, presumably stolen while he slept or something.

Not sure how they got my sleeping bag with me in it, but ok. At least I still have my backpack! Oh, and they took the time to drop my backup wrench out of the sled before skulking off with it. I think they're taunting me. Jerks. I don't need two wrenches, I need my sled!

Your first mistake was not picking up metallurgy when you started, so you know how to forge the metal chain to keep the sled chained to the pole overnight.

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I was up and going for 18 days and feeling pretty damn chipper. I had a rifle with ammo, plenty of supplies, and decided to trek out west to see what I could see. Since I started with Botany, I had never really run in to problems with food or water, so that was nice.

Of course, it also means I was not incredibly picky about the water I was drinking. I scavenged some water from a town, which I rarely found, and just drank it up without thinking. With the ocean in sight and a nice little ruin on the coast behind two forest tiles, I clearly had an ideal place to call home while scavenging about. And then the infection hit. No worries, I have plenty of... wait... no... not in that bottle either. It turns out I had gotten a little too secure in my position and not brought antibiotics on this particular adventure.

So there I rested, on that nice little hex on the coast. I knew I was too far away from the city or my stash at the cryo lab. The man who survived bandits, dogmen, midnight raids by looters and the harsh elements faded away due to one bad drink, and the cholera it caused, in a quiet shack by the sea.

My only complaint about this game is that there is not more of it. It really is so good.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Kias wrote: »
    I was up and going for 18 days and feeling pretty damn chipper. I had a rifle with ammo, plenty of supplies, and decided to trek out west to see what I could see. Since I started with Botany, I had never really run in to problems with food or water, so that was nice.

Of course, it also means I was not incredibly picky about the water I was drinking. I scavenged some water from a town, which I rarely found, and just drank it up without thinking. With the ocean in sight and a nice little ruin on the coast behind two forest tiles, I clearly had an ideal place to call home while scavenging about. And then the infection hit. No worries, I have plenty of... wait... no... not in that bottle either. It turns out I had gotten a little too secure in my position and not brought antibiotics on this particular adventure.

So there I rested, on that nice little hex on the coast. I knew I was too far away from the city or my stash at the cryo lab. The man who survived bandits, dogmen, midnight raids by looters and the harsh elements faded away due to one bad drink, and the cholera it caused, in a quiet shack by the sea.

And then Celes began her journey to meet up with Terra and the others.

• Options
    5GkudVc.png
    The real mofo about this is that I'm taking several geography classes and we've covered John Snow and Cholera about 20 times.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    The only time I managed to live a full night was when I stumbled on some hobo stash with a hide robe, a pointed stick, some empty water bottles and a plastic bag. After accidentally figuring out how to get water from a nearby stream I set up camp in the woods and was mauled to death by a dog man in the early morning.

I am completely enthralled by this game. Let's see if I can actually manage to kill something/one now!

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    For what its worth, I feel like starting with Botany is kind of like an Easy mode. Always knowing which berries/mushrooms are safe and having clean water from streams (not sure if that is botany related or not) really never had me worrying about food/water. Going to let this one simmer for a bit until we get more content, then I am going back out with no idea which berries do what and seeing how that goes for me.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    For what its worth, I feel like starting with Botany is kind of like an Easy mode. Always knowing which berries/mushrooms are safe and having clean water from streams (not sure if that is botany related or not) really never had me worrying about food/water. Going to let this one simmer for a bit until we get more content, then I am going back out with no idea which berries do what and seeing how that goes for me.
    Take metabolism and see where that gets you.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Botany is helpful but becomes less useful the closer you get to the glow and/or the longer you survive.
    You can't really survive on mushrooms and berries forever - it's more like you starve to death slower.

• Options
    Urgh. Twice now I've died because my shelter vanished, taking my sleeping bag and noise traps with it :(

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Bought this, lovin' it. Died a bunch. Once had a meat cleaver, a crowbar, a rifle, a pistol, AND a compound bow at the same time. Too bad I didn't have any ammo or look up how to make arrows at the time. How often does this thing update since it's one dude running the show?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    FDX5Pbb.png

Multi tool vs. Meat cleaver in the rain.

edit:
    I got lucky,
    some dead soul's cache and I had a rifle. I only used it once on a man who surprised me. His friend game by after the fireworks were over. Ran me off. It had taken mee weeks to find a lighter and start a flame, but I was warm, and health.
    Until the poison kicked in. I crawled with pain killers flowing through my gut, hiding in every wooded glade, not giving up the fight. Then I found a nano kit, sprang forward with new life.

Until I hit the glow. I felt the pangs of hunger erode my confidence. I wandered near and far, sipping from springs and gulleys, dropping my gear and finding it again, over and over, until finally, I had a full belly and marched into the Glow.

I set out north on my journey, after several miles I built a tarp shelter and went to sleep after a spell.

Until the dogman woke me up. I only had 4 rounds in my rifle, the first 3 took his head off. As he lay there coughing up blood, I closed the distance to deliver the final blow.

This was a mistake. His first blow beat me into dreamland, I didn't feel the others.
    ?.jpeg

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    dcfedordcfedor NEO Scavenger developer, Blue Bottle Games founder Wooded hills of BC, CanadaRegistered User regular

That's awesome. One of my earliest goals for the game was to try and recapture that old pen and paper RPG feeling, so this means a lot!
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I'm more impressed by a developer who comes back and communicates regularly, beyond an initial "I'm glad you like my game, now everyone else come over and buy it!" post.

I'm sure there are more than a few places out there where I'm guilty of that :) I do try to go here and there, and visit ongoing conversations where I can. It's kinda like hosting a gigantic party with thousands of rooms. Fortunately, the partygoers seem to be having a good time!
    Where was it explained that the magnifying glass means scavenge?

There is a one-time-only encounter that happens after exiting cryo the first time. It shows a sample hex and explains the icons, and how scavenging works. The game saves data to remember you've seen that tutorial before, so you won't see it again. (Unless you clear the game's Flash cookies.)

Beautiful. Like your own personal "Into the Wild."
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Urgh. Twice now I've died because my shelter vanished, taking my sleeping bag and noise traps with it :(

Judging by field reports, this appears to be a campsite bug triggered by things like hiding and sleeping. Allegedly, the items are still there and one just needs to exit and revisit the hex (or save/load) to get the items back. A fix should be forthcoming!
    Bought this, lovin' it. Died a bunch. Once had a meat cleaver, a crowbar, a rifle, a pistol, AND a compound bow at the same time. Too bad I didn't have any ammo or look up how to make arrows at the time. How often does this thing update since it's one dude running the show?

Thanks! The update frequency is usually about 1-2 times per month. Admittedly, though, it's been longer than usual since the last update (mid-December). This is largely due to vacation and PR getting in the way over the past month. I hope to have a new update soon!

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Oh hey @dcfedor just fyi I was able to bug the intial Cyrolab sequence in such a way that I never saw the sequence where you choose to exit out of the window and also made it impossible to get to the back room when returning to the cryolab. If I remember correctly I took Strong with the initial encounter and then went to inventory screen and not ok'ing through and then was able to goto the campsite screen where I rested and healed which skipped me past the window exit sequence and dumped me straight out into the hex game world.

Awesome game BTW... I'm actually enjoying figuring out how the game engine works as well as surviving in game. Figuring out how to start crafting and make a sled with a tow strap was a Eureka moment for me.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    I'm having trouble making arrows even though I have ranged and all the materials.

What does everyone here make them with?

• Options
    You're awesome @dcfedor, and so's your game.

@Royce Sraphim I typically use glass shards (you need two per arrow, one will be returned), medium tree branches, paper strips from newspapers, medium string, aaaaaand I think that's it? You need to put your ranged skill on the crafting area with the mats.

• Options
    How up to date is the demo on the website? I use it for practice when I'm away from my pc.....and I just had a bandit track me and then drop dead in front of me.

• Options
    Hey Folks!

Just a heads-up: NEO Scavenger is available in the latest Humble Weekly Bundle: Celebrating Open Source!

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

The idea is for several of us devs to somehow give back to the open source tools that made our games possible. Hence, the charities in this bundle are for the Haxe Foundation, OpenFL, Ren'Py, and Flashdevelop. (Tools and engines we used and would like to see grow.)

If you've been on the fence a while, this may be your chance :)

@RoyceSraphim‌ the demo is fairly up-to-date, but a few builds behind. I think it's currently 0.982, vs. the 0.985 version one can opt-in to via Steam (or via "test" links on bluebottlegames.com).

The bandit dropping dead may have been due to hypothermia, starvation, thirst, or similar metabolic reasons. Of course, it could have been a bug, too!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Starvation is a bug too! It's just that it's a bug that's caused by evolution and our inability to photosynthesize, not any mistake you made while programming.

• Options
    Exactly! Probably a bug by the same programmer that was to lazy to give us wings.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'll let him slide on the wings thing, but I take issue with lacking biological immortality. Also, sleeping.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Man, sleeping is great.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Just picked this up, and after many failed attempts I finally have a good run going. Strangely enough, it is also one where I went with both mechanic and electrician and I'm just about to turn the lights and HVAC system on in the cryo lab. Managed to find a cleaver in the woods next to the building, then a sleeping looter another hex away. Sneaked up to within 1 range and the guy woke up which startled me so much I swung the cleaver and knocked the guy back out (who later bled out). Dude was loaded with a shopping cart full of clothes and food and water and even a backpack!

Fuck the glow, I've got my own kingdom to form. Can you convince other looter's to follow you?

Veevee on
  • Options
    The humble weekly bundle was finally my excuse to get the game.

After about ten games or so, finally realizing that running a lake or river tile object through the crafting screen gets you as much water as you want sure does make the game a whole lot easier.

• Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    Before my last bout, I discovered that you need to set the options in Steam to beta, to get the updates.

I felt pretty dumb. However, it was all worth it when I picked up my first combat boot.

I'm really enjoying the updates and discovering new stuffs.

However, I do have a question. On one of my recent games I had both a crowbar and a lighter. When I looted with both, it seemed that I got injured fairly often. When I just used the lighter, the injuries stopped. Went back to both, started getting injured again.

I'm not sure if the RNG gods were messing with me or if there's some sort of mechanic that I'm not getting.

• Options
    Krummith wrote: »
    Before my last bout, I discovered that you need to set the options in Steam to beta, to get the updates.

I felt pretty dumb. However, it was all worth it when I picked up my first combat boot.

I'm really enjoying the updates and discovering new stuffs.

However, I do have a question. On one of my recent games I had both a crowbar and a lighter. When I looted with both, it seemed that I got injured fairly often. When I just used the lighter, the injuries stopped. Went back to both, started getting injured again.

I'm not sure if the RNG gods were messing with me or if there's some sort of mechanic that I'm not getting.

Using brute force methods(crowbar, strong trait) are reckless and give you a higher chance of getting injured, but at the same time gives you a higher chance to get items if you pass the injury check. It also makes it more likely for nearby baddies to notice you screwing around in the tile.

Scavenging with a light source(i.e. lighter) lowers your chance to be injured and also increases your item success rate, but I believe lowers your stealth even further.

What I personally like to do is use Strong, Crowbar and Lighter when foraging and I find lots of stuff. Unless you're a really stealthy or non-combat setup, I don't see enough hostile encounters to worry about being quiet about it.

• Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    I thought that the light would cancel out the increased injury risk. At least now I know it's working as intended, and not just weird RNG.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Eye augments with night vision are the shiznit.