As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It isn't, the solicit says FINAL ISSUE on it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't even look at DC solicits anymore.

• Options
    JakesteraholicJakesteraholic Registered User regular
    The thing about Ultraman snorting Kryptonite is that back in Morrison's Earth 2 story from 15 years ago, he already had Johnny Quick injecting his powers. The drugs/power thing seems to me to be thematically stronger when matched up with a pure speedster than a Superman opposite. This just seems like Johns' basic M.O. of retreading a moment that was awesome for people in the 80s or 90s and making it somehow more extreme. For some reason Superman snorting something seems more profane than a Flash injecting something. I dunno.

3DS friend code: 1247-0157-5888
  • Options
    Johnny Quick injecting a serum that lets him slow down is so wildly different from Ultraman literally crushing up and snorting Kryptonite

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The thing about Ultraman snorting Kryptonite is that back in Morrison's Earth 2 story from 15 years ago, he already had Johnny Quick injecting his powers. The drugs/power thing seems to me to be thematically stronger when matched up with a pure speedster than a Superman opposite. This just seems like Johns' basic M.O. of retreading a moment that was awesome for people in the 80s or 90s and making it somehow more extreme. For some reason Superman snorting something seems more profane than a Flash injecting something. I dunno.

Johnny Quick acted like a junkie, that's why it was somewhat serious yet still absurd. Johns' Ultraman's scene is meant to be taken seriously but appears like an unintentional satire I'd expect from present day Frank Miller.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Canceled in April:

Justice League of America (being replaced with Justice League United)
    Nightwing
    Stormwatch
    Suicide Squad
    Superman Unchained
    Teen Titans

Somehow, The Movement lives on (despite being the lowest selling New 52 book [that hasn't been canceled yet] at 7.2k for December).

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    All of the JL Dark titles and Larfleeze will also live to see another month, in contrast to what the rumors had been saying.

There was a secondary rumor that June would be another big month for launches, but I'm not buying that. Still, they have to change this line up pretty dramatically soon, because it's become almost entirely stagnant.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Superman Unchained was one of those 'had a single story to tell' comics. Once it's done, it's done.
    Nightwing... something's happening to him in Forever Evil. Too bad that his comic actually became good again recently.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I'm already mentally coming to terms with the idea that Dick Grayson, my favorite DC character, is probably dead.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I'm already mentally coming to terms with the idea that Dick Grayson, my favorite DC character, is probably dead.

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that all your favorite characters are already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a comic fan is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All nerdery depends upon it.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Think of it this way.

He's been dead since Flashpoint #1.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Canceled in April:

Justice League of America (being replaced with Justice League United)
    Nightwing
    Stormwatch
    Suicide Squad
    Superman Unchained
    Teen Titans

Somehow, The Movement lives on (despite being the lowest selling New 52 book [that hasn't been canceled yet] at 7.2k for December).

that's probably like the fall out of why one girl was employed for so long at the hell known to men where I work
    because she was blowing one of the managers

I really do wonder if they will take notice of how some of the indy titles have good writers and stories despite have next to no distribution and yet sell.

It's been a rollercoaster for Justice League Dark they have good points and bad ones yet they could do so much more with the characters they have and story they have set for them

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    DC will catch way more shit for cancelling The Movement than any other comic on their line currently, no matter how it sells.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Yes, it would almost certainly be very bad PR for DC (like they need more) if they cancel The Movement. It's more likely that they'll somehow convince Gail Simone to "end it on her own terms" and that she "told the story she wanted to tell" and etc that we'll hear when she announces its ending in some scripted interview.

• Options
    Brainleech that implication about Gail Simone is super fucked up, guy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Or they could give Simone a book with a less terrible premise if they're concerned about fan backlash of cancelling her only title (is it her only title? I don't even know)

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Suicide Squad is canceled. Let her bring back Secret Six

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Or they could give Simone a book with a less terrible premise if they're concerned about fan backlash of cancelling her only title (is it her only title? I don't even know)

She's still writing Batgirl.

• Options
    I don't think canceling The Movement would cause much ruckus since, you know, nobody reads it

Unless it sells a lot of digital copies

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    why would cancelling The Movement be a big deal if Simone is still writing on another book? Is it bringing in a high percentage of New Readers, similar to Captain Marvel?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Is there any current writer that is, for lack of better word, coasting on their previous reputation like Simone is?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Is there any current writer that is, for lack of better word, coasting on their previous reputation like Simone is?
    honestly?

james robinson

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    why would cancelling The Movement be a big deal if Simone is still writing on another book? Is it bringing in a high percentage of New Readers, similar to Captain Marvel?

She's one of DC's last remaining female writers so they'd face greater scrutiny.

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    honestly?

james robinson

Earth-2 was awesome, but I wonder how much of that is down to Robinson being left alone to do whatever.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    honestly?

james robinson

To be fair, Golden Age and Starman give him a lot of room to coast in my book.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    I don't think canceling The Movement would cause much ruckus since, you know, nobody reads it

Unless it sells a lot of digital copies
    Isn't it also one of the only books that has a primarily POC cast, or has DC changed that up since the book launched?

sig.gif
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    honestly?

james robinson

To be fair, Golden Age and Starman give him a lot of room to coast in my book.

The Shade miniseries was also really good - one of the best things to come out of the New 52. Robinson just really has problems delivering work-for-hire stuff that he's not invested in. I'm glad to see him starting his own stuff at Image and Dynamite.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So after doing a bit more pre-reading I'm giving batman rip another shot @undead Scotsman I think it was you who suggested some articles explaining and commenting on it? If so can you link them again?

Anyway I really do love batman giving a homeless man a few dollars as a kind gesture.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So after doing a bit more pre-reading I'm giving batman rip another shot @undead Scotsman I think it was you who suggested some articles explaining and commenting on it? If so can you link them again?

Anyway I really do love batman giving a homeless man a few dollars as a kind gesture.

I'm no undead Scotsman, but I'm say you want to get to mindlessones.com and pillage their archive.

I didn't mind RIP, but to be honest, you might have a better time reading the articles about Morrison's Batman than reading RIP itself.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I blame that more on Tony Daniel that Morrison

• Options
    BC believes Geoff Johns will be on Superman with JRjr drawing.

I'm in for that. Johns is one of the best Superman writers DC has had in the last few years, so I look forward to his return.

• Options
    I liked Johns' Superman run for the most part, but I haven't really liked how he's written him in Justice League.

Just have Greg Pak write all the Superman books

and put JRjr on something I have no interest in ever.

• Options
    I'm with Keith. Pak has been the best on New 52 Superman so far.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Johns did write a good Superman, but that character no longer exists.

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Green Lantern Corps Annual #2 ended with
    Hal and John deciding they needed to enlist the help of Von Daggle to fight the Durlans, the only Durlan Green Lantern and leader of the Corpse, the black ops GL team. The Corpse was created in a fill-in arc on Green Lantern Corps back in 2007 just before the Sinestro Corps War arc. Johns ignored it and certain parts of the arc didn't really jive with the world Johns was creating (in that the Corpse black ops version of the ring was violet instead of green but this was of course before the emotional spectrum was introduced.) So, the arc wasn't explicitly in continuity but not necessarily outside of it either.

I find it hilarious that we're in the New 52, previous continuity doesn't matter, and the GL writers still decide to dredge up the characters and story from a fill-in arc from 7 years ago. I think this is the first instance of a story that was likely out of continuity in the pre-Flashpoint universe being forced into continuity in the New 52 through references. I liked the Corpse and Von Daggle so I'm fine with, but still think it is funny.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    You know who gets DC continuity? The authors of 'learn to read' books for kids, that's who gets DC continuity:
    OBEfuHq.jpg

Also, this is an awesome picture of Batman:
    3N19FCY.jpg

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxWXjFL3mE

GUYS, WHO IS THE "SUPER" MYSTERY GUEST?

So, pretty much confirmed then, huh?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    http://youtu.be/fEkba8B5gwA

Yep, it's official. Starts "this summer," so probably June or possibly July.

Edit: If the time thing doesn't work, skip to 0:44s.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    JR_SM_001_color_2.jpg.jpeg

Nope. No thank you.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Eh, I might give it a shot. I like JRjr most of the time.

And finally Forever Evil issue 5 comes out tomorrow. I just want to see the cliffhanger resolved from issue 4 unless it already happened in a tie-in book.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
This discussion has been closed.