As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prime 2014 Hotel Discussion (official hotels are not live)

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited March 2014 in PAX West
Since there's so much hotel discussion already, might as well have a dedicated thread for it.

zerzhul on

• ChargerHawkChargerHawk Registered User regular
    This will be the first year me and 3 friends go to PAX Prime, we're so excited! I was looking at hotels near the convention center. Anyone that has gone before, can you tell me what the average room rate is for the Sheraton Seattle through Onpeak when they put up the hotel deals on the PAX site? I know the rooms go fast, but I'd love to try and stay there if possible. I'm just not sure what kind of discount you get booking that way.

I tried a variety of searches but wasn't able to find this info, so thanks in advance for any help! FYI if you just wanted to book right now for that weekend they are anywhere from $289+ depending on what type of room you want, so I'm hoping the PAX page has a discount or I'll have to look elsewhere...

Cheers! See you in August! :)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't remember the exact number, but it's less than $200/night I believe.

There's no specific date as to when the hotel deals go up. Start regularly checking the forums and follow http://twitter.com/official_pax after PAX East ends.

zerzhul wrote: »
    I don't remember the exact number, but it's less than $200/night I believe.

There's no specific date as to when the hotel deals go up. Start regularly checking the forums and follow http://twitter.com/official_pax after PAX East ends.

Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate it. I will start checking the sites as soon as we get close to PAX East.

• SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    For PAX Prime '12 I was charged $905 total for 4 nights for a single king bed in the Sheraton. It was quite nice to have a nearby place to escape to during the weekend to recharge and clean up. I didn't stay at the Sheraton last year to know if the price went up or down.

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Registered User regular
    For PAX Prime '12, we paid $175/night for Double Occupancy - 1 King bed, through OnPeak.

Great info, thank you all for the replies I really appreciate it! Sounds like it would be a good decision to wait for the hotels to go up through OnPeak once passes are available and try to get in that way.

• PocketJellyPocketJelly Fraser Valley, British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Last year (2013), I paid $1,020 for a quad occupancy room for 4 nights. ($255/night)

In 2012, I paid $752 for a quad occupancy room for 3 nights. ($250/night)

PocketJelly on
  • Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Here are the prices for the past 3 years @ the Sheraton from OnPeak based on single bed, single occupancy. You can add roughly $10 per additional bed & occupant if I remember correctly.

2011: $169
    2012: $175
    2013: $179

Spud387 on
    Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
    Spud387 wrote: »
    Here are the prices for the past 3 years @ the Sheraton from OnPeak based on single bed, single occupancy. You can add roughly $10 per additional bed & occupant if I remember correctly.

2011: $169
    2012: $175
    2013: $179

That is really great info, thank you so much! Judging by trends there I'd add $5 this year to $184 then about $30 for 3 more people. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than anything available for that hotel right now. I will definitely be waiting and hoping to successfully book through OnPeak. Thanks again everybody, you've all been really helpful!

• sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    Spiritfire wrote: »
    For PAX Prime '12 I was charged $905 total for 4 nights for a single king bed in the Sheraton. It was quite nice to have a nearby place to escape to during the weekend to recharge and clean up. I didn't stay at the Sheraton last year to know if the price went up or down.
    that seems insane to me because for almost half that we stayed at the Kings Inn on a single king which is half a mile away

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    sarge1445 wrote: »
    ] that seems insane to me because for almost half that we stayed at the Kings Inn on a single king which is half a mile away

Learned my lesson. Last year I rented a condo within walking distance and also room shared (which is an awesome way to meet cool people) to really cut down on the rooming and food cost since we also had a kitchen available to us. The Sheraton was nice, though, since I was about to kick off a separate vacation with my family. Kid loved the pool and we had a place to park the rental car.

• ZurgettiZurgetti Librarian WARegistered User regular
    How fast does the Sheraton fill up? I imagine since it's so close, it must be one of the first hotels to go.

It's also /gigantic/. It certainly is quick to fill up but it's not as bad as some smaller hotels. If you want one of the super duper close hotels, you better be on the ball.

• tinedizzletinedizzle Kelso, WARegistered User regular
    My favorite year for PAX prime was the year they had it the weekend before labor day, hotel rates were way cheaper because of no holiday weekend.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    (Hi everyone, new to the forums) So I'm aiming to attend PAX Prime this year and I was shopping for a hotel booking, but should I be holding off until the PAX Prime 2014 site goes live? Just looked at the pax east site and saw that PAX registers with hotels for deals.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »
    (Hi everyone, new to the forums) So I'm aiming to attend PAX Prime this year and I was shopping for a hotel booking, but should I be holding off until the PAX Prime 2014 site goes live? Just looked at the pax east site and saw that PAX registers with hotels for deals.
    If you want a close hotel at a reduced rate, wait.

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Just a couple of quick pro-tips for new Prime attendees:

1) If you're going and are mostly into TT, the Olive 8 is actually a better location to stay at than the Sheraton. It's a Hyatt-brand for those that consider hotel award points. One of the newer remodeled hotels in the area, so generally nicer.
    2) The Prime layout isn't much like East where you have 1 attached hotel, 2 more a couple blocks away, and then it's 1-3 miles to every other hotel. There are, if I recall correctly, 11 hotels within 1/4 of a mile of the convention centre and 26 hotels within 1/2 mile. Don't get discouraged if you don't score "The Sheraton". Really, it's likely going to be 75 degrees and sunny every day you're here for some very short walks.

• minccimincci Registered User new member
    First time traveling out for a con, so I was wondering if I have 4 people going to Pax in total, would it be better to get a quad occupancy room, or a smaller room and add additional beds? Thanks.

mincci wrote: »
    First time traveling out for a con, so I was wondering if I have 4 people going to Pax in total, would it be better to get a quad occupancy room, or a smaller room and add additional beds? Thanks.

When you book a hotel room the "occupancy" is to tell the hotel how many people will be in the room. Many folks will book a room for lower occupancy, since it is lower cost, and just put more people in the room than what they tell the hotel, but that is almost always against hotel policy. Whether or not you want to do something against a hotel's policy is up to you.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    mincci wrote: »

Adding to zerzhul's comment, the hotel's set their occupancy limit usually based on fire code. They're looking at how many occupants per room so they don't exceed a safe number (which is usually outlined for them). It's also a great way for them to capitalize on each individual coming into the hotel, rather than collecting a flat "room rate."

But, break policy at your own risk. Having four people in a room that could house four, but only listing two is mostly a clerical and revenue problem for the hotel IMO... Having 16 in a room of four though...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • minccimincci Registered User new member
    Thanks for the replies, it cleared up a lot of things. :)

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Between PAX08 and... Prime12 I think? (including each East up until then) I stayed in a hotel with about 7 people and probably booked it for only double occupancy. It's not hard to get away with that and even get some extra room keys too, but it's still risky. I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't have other options or you're on a tight budget which I usually am.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure the Homewood Suites actually sells out before anything else these days. I've debated staying there for the last couple years but having to walk uphill to get there is a big turnoff for me considering I'm wearing myself out by holding up video cameras all weekend. The big open rooms and kitchens are awesome though and make it worthwhile.
    The Sheraton has a pool though and that's hard to avoid.

Aside from those I'd also recommend the Red Lion and Grand Hyatt for very nice and very close hotels. The walk between them and the convention center is nothing. The Grand Hyatt is probably the nicest hotel around and the Red Lion has a pretty good restaurant below it if you want to snag a meal without leaving the building.

There's definitely plenty of options for Prime. East on the other hand...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    In my experience the past few years hotel availability tends to fluctuate throughout the summer. Last year I booked something the day the hotels were bookable, but then sometime in July I grabbed a room in the Sheraton. If you're willing to watch like a hawk, you can get in the block. It's not nearly as dire as passes.

• brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    That's been my experience too. Last year the group I usually go with was without a room until late June when something with 2 beds finally opened up. If you want a certain hotel or room type that sells out right away you can usually find a room opening up before the event if you're dedicated enough to watching the hotel site like a hawk.

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Just booked an apartment in downtown Seattle. There are some services online that get people in touch with vacation apartment rentals, if some people want to explore that route. Got the apartment for the week (28th-4th) for less than 900 bucks.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    Don't get discouraged if you don't score "The Sheraton". Really, it's likely going to be 75 degrees and sunny every day you're here for some very short walks.

100% spot on. Everything is spread out so you are walking to matter what hotel you book. We have done both the homewood and the Westin (opposite directions from the con) and both were great. Never felt like we were left out or anything was too far away. Probably going with the Westin again this year if we can get it.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have experience with the Homewood Suites at Pike St. and does it usually go on sale via OnPeak?

As one of the cheaper alternatives close to the WSCC I may try to book it now if feedback is good. Thanks in advance :)

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with the Homewood Suites at Pike St. and does it usually go on sale via OnPeak?

As one of the cheaper alternatives close to the WSCC I may try to book it now if feedback is good. Thanks in advance :)

It is usually on sale through OnPeak but it's also one of the first hotels to sell out on OnPeak.

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »

It was included last year, and I would think that it would be included this year. I was there last year and I'm aiming to go back.

However, there was some rustled jimmies last year, such as an enforcer (or so I'm told) that had a bag full of board games nicked from the entry area and the staff at the time was apparently not willing to do much of anything to help recover it.

The biggest potential problem is that the deal OnPeak has with the Homewood allows the hotel to rearrange rooms as they see fit. This ended up with groups of people being put into much smaller rooms than what they had reserved, and others being placed in rooms that were much larger than they needed.

At least, this is what was going on last year, I do not know if it will be the same as this year.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the inputs! I went ahead and booked a room on Homewood. The reservation site is already saying they are running out, OnPeak probably got its batch of rooms blocked out already.

Now let's see if I can get badges this year :p

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    I never planned a hotel for Prime before. I know what the big 3 for East are, but which Hotel(s) are the best for pax prime?

It's super hard to go wrong with hotels for Prime since there's so many right near the convention center. Parts of PAX are inside of the Sheraton, Grand Hyatt, and Olive 8 hotels though, so they're popular choices.

• JulietJuliet Registered User regular
    Where did you get the condo? I have a family of 5 with dietary restrictions and allergies. I would love a place to cook our own meals nearby.

Learned my lesson. Last year I rented a condo within walking distance and also room shared (which is an awesome way to meet cool people) to really cut down on the rooming and food cost since we also had a kitchen available to us. The Sheraton was nice, though, since I was about to kick off a separate vacation with my family. Kid loved the pool and we had a place to park the rental car.

• WedjatWedjat SeattleRegistered User regular
    Juliet wrote: »
    Where did you get the condo? I have a family of 5 with dietary restrictions and allergies. I would love a place to cook our own meals nearby.

Try airbnb.com. You'll probably end up with a place further away from the convention center (might have to bus in) & maybe end up paying a bit more, but you can find all kinds of kinds of places.

3DS 0404-6459-8631
  • skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    Small plug for airbnb: Last year, I was on a tight budget and we had 8 in our party. There was no way we were going to be able to afford a hotel with that, so I asked someone with an airbnb place if we could squeeze that many in to her apartment, and she was totally fine. Didn't even charge me additional for extra people.

Not everyone with airbnb is going to be like that (some places are rented by companies, not individuals, so they're less lenient), but it's simply more likely that you'll be able to get a large party in a room for cheaper.

If the hotels sell out or aren't in your budget, I'd recommend giving it a try.

Wedjat wrote: »
    Try airbnb.com. You'll probably end up with a place further away from the convention center (might have to bus in) & maybe end up paying a bit more, but you can find all kinds of kinds of places.

I booked a place with Airbnb as well, though I have no experience. I'm glad to hear some positives though, my apartment is close and cheap. Absolutely check it out, no harm in looking.

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Side note: Most of the suites at the homewood have kitchenettes and they supply pots and pans. The only thing you can't do is bake.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Side note: Most of the suites at the homewood have kitchenettes and they supply pots and pans. The only thing you can't do is bake.

And a full grocery store (QFC) is just 5 or 6 blocks up from there.

And a full grocery store (QFC) is just 5 or 6 blocks up from there.
    There is also the small market on the same block just up the sidewalk.

eIMwu3s.png
  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    I never planned a hotel for Prime before. I know what the big 3 for East are, but which Hotel(s) are the best for pax prime?

Depends on what your primary Prime objective is. If you're heavy into cosplay, the Sheraton is probably where you want to be so you don't have to walk quite as much. If you're into tabletop, my vote would go for the Olive 8 because their TT area was far and away the best one in the entire convention. If you're there for things like tournaments, you'd want something near Benaroya. If you're packing 47 people into a small room like a Chinese \ flophouse, Homewood is the place to go, etc.

Personally, I made a booking @ the Sheraton, but that's solely because I'm an SPG Elite member and I have no status w/ Hyatt brands, otherwise I'd have booked the Olive 8....and honestly, I'll probably cancel it sometime between now and then anyhow, given that I live a whopping 13-15 minutes away from the convention centre, anyways so buying a hotel is really just an act of laziness for me.

This discussion has been closed.