As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 badges and hotels

1202122232426»

• Options
    mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    We used to stay at the Renaissance in previous years and always used their parking - they have plenty of space even for people coming in Friday evening. It's expensive, but it beats leaving the car in a cheaper, weekend-long parking thing and using the T to travel to/from the hotel.

But this year we'll be at the Westin and I actually don't know what we'll do... Have other people had luck coming in to the Westin Friday at ~5-6pm and finding parking spots at the hotel parking?

• Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    No joke, I'm on booking.com and there are rooms available at the Westin. The one attached to the convention center. They are all City View King rooms, that cost $2000 for 4 nights including tax, but they're there. You also need to pay up front.

sacratoy on
    PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    If you are trying to save on parking, the best deal I can think of would be to find out if the hotel you're staying at has an airport shuttle. If so, park at a park-n-fly type lot near the airport (I see deals around $20 a night), take a free shuttle from that lot to the airport, and then take the free hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel. This avoids having to pay for any transportation, and park-n-fly expects you to leave your car there for a while. :)

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    We used to drive. Unless you're more than 2 in a car, it's pretty much always going to be better to take the train instead of driving, money-wise, because of the cost of parking. With 3, you'll have to do the cost analysis yourself.

Also, with the train, you can game your way up to PAX :D

• Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    I was wondering if I can transfer a room from my group to another board member's group. I tried calling OnPeak but I kept getting busy signals. Also, dod we know which hotels are going to bill credit cards 30 days out?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Huh, I don't think I've ever received a busy signal from onpeak. A robot answering service yes, busy signal no. You might have been calling outside their normal business hours? I think they are open basically 9-5 central time but I don't remember for certain.

I think most hotels will put an auth on your card for the first night's stay once onpeak transfers the reservations to them. That is not the same as billing the card. I don't think any will be billed until you either show up or don't show up.

• Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    Thank you Zer, because I realized that getting all the cash from everyone for rooms would be rough even if I started now.

• Options
    teriwynteriwyn Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Actually, I've had problems with their phone system when calling. If you don't get greeted by an option to press some # for PAX East, then hold music, your call is in a black hole. Hang up and dial again. I figured this out through trial and error. I never got black-holed more than once in a row.

Also once you're in the queue, the second voice prompt ("We're sorry for the wait...") offers to call you back instead of you waiting on the line forever. THIS WORKS, but it only offers this option once, so pay attention to the cut-ins.

teriwyn on
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    So if they put a athurization on the card does that mean a hold for that night well be put on the card till check in or check out. Or will they just bill your card the amount of 1 night and then when you get there the remaning amount will have to be paid upon check out. I would much rather it be they just take it then put a hold on your card.

• Options
    I can't speak for any individual hotel, but usually the way it works is that they will auth the first night's stay to make sure the card works, and then cancel that auth when you check in. Once you check in, it's up to you to provide either cash payment or a credit card to hold. If you give a credit card to hold, they will put a hold on the full amount on your card, and then charge it when you check out. If you pay in cash, you will likely still have to give a card or an extra deposit for incidentals, and they will put a hold on that until checkout and either refund or cancel the hold if you have no incidentals.

• Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Anybody got get a shipping email for badges?, just got mine.

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    No email yet for me. Was this international FedEx or domestic?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    By DHL Express, my guess is they are going out in waves at PAX did tweet saying they will be going out in the next week or so.

Sgt.Mays on

Attending West 2019
  • Options
    They most assuredly go out in waves. You will only get an email if you paid for a non USPS option as far as I know.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    zerzhul wrote: »
    They most assuredly go out in waves. You will only get an email if you paid for a non USPS option as far as I know.

Yea and that is what i did, i just hope DHL is not slow. I guess the intl ones go out in the first wave to make sure we get em in time.

Sgt.Mays on

Attending West 2019
  • Options
    williamstomewilliamstome Registered User regular
    Map of good beer bars in Boston.
    Purple star is convention center.
    Red = World Class
    Orange = Excellent
    Yellow = Very Good
    Green = Good
    Light purple = Brewery you wouldn't ordinarily go to for drinks

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zZiMoopPD7NA.kQAtrt0ui3Us

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I am not really sure how that fits into this thread...

In fact this thread really has no purpose now that badges are arriving (and we have a thread for that) and we have a hotel thread.

Geth, close this thread.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative zerzhul. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.