As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer froze and now Ive lost all my files!

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
Last night my computer froze as I was installing a bluetooth program. When I got it back up, everything was gone and now Windows is saying it isnt genuine anymore. Ive tried defrag, system restore, and something from the microsoft site about command Promp sfc /scannow. Some of the folders can still be found but they are empty.

I havent formatted or reinstalled windows yet. Anything else can I do or am I SOL'd?

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    If you have access, you might try installing your drive in someone else's computer as a secondary drive (make sure BIOS is still set to boot from their drive) and try to access your files.

Another option would be to boot some version of linux from a thumb stick and copy files that way if they are still around.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    MrTLicious has got it. Working on an infected computer is horrible and frustrating. Working on an infected drive with a clean computer is easy.

By "Everything" do you mean your own personal files or do you mean you click on the C: drive and nothing shows up? Because option one is likely to be your fucked but option 2 is clearly lying if windows is booting.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I can click the C: Drive and see my programs and what not. My games are missing. I can also click my documents and see about 40% of the folder that were there, but its all empty.

Also, nothing happen to my slave drive as all my music is still there and playable.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That's not a terribly good sign.

Do you have an idea how of much free space you had before and now?

There are programs out there that can recover "deleted" files that haven't been overwritten. It's been too long since I used one to name any. Though they are definitely the kind of thing you'd rather run from a different drive so installing them doesn't overwrite some of the files that have been marked as deleted but might still be recoverable.

Good luck.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    That's not a terribly good sign.

Do you have an idea how of much free space you had before and now?

There are programs out there that can recover "deleted" files that haven't been overwritten. It's been too long since I used one to name any. Though they are definitely the kind of thing you'd rather run from a different drive so installing them doesn't overwrite some of the files that have been marked as deleted but might still be recoverable.

Good luck.
    Ive tried defrag

It might be too late for that.

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    I might have to use my tax return to take it to a shop. Until then Ill leave it be.

Damn, and I was hoping to get internet with it...

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I don't know how much you know about computer usage so I'm going to go the safe route and phrase this like tech support.

Quick primer on command prompt: cd is change directory, dir lists files and folders in your current directory. If any of the steps ahead don't work, do your best to navigate to the location you think I mean, and then continue from there.

Start Menu -> run -> cmd
    Push enter.
    You now have a command prompt.
    You are probably in C:\Users\<username> - if so, good. If not, type: cd C:\Users\<username>
    Type: cd "My Documents"
    Type: dir

This will list the files in your my documents directory. Compare the files and folders you read to the files and folders you see when you open the directory in windows explorer.

If you see files and folders in the command prompt, but not in windows explorer, then you have been infected with some sort of malware that's trying to make you think your files have been deleted. Your files, however, are still there and are easily recoverable. My advice at this point would be get you a drive of some sort, back up the stuff you want to keep, reformat your hard drive and reinstall windows. Wash your hands of the situation.

If you do not see the missing files and folders in the command prompt, then you should follow the advice of others in this thread re: recovering deleted data, IF AND ONLY IF the data you've lost is important enough to you to pay a premium to recover it. Services like that are rarely if ever cheap.