As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finished!

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Artist's Corner

NightDragon on

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I need to do this

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm glad you are forcing yourself to post stuff. It'll be really nice to see some of you work at a more regular pace. Hopefully I wont have to ban you at any point.

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    It's cool to see little sketches from you, instead of just the super refined stuff. Bottom left looks really cool. One thing that seems a little out of place are the heels. Even for a lady aristocrat, flat boots would probably be better for running around, crouching, and quietly ninja-ing in general. Tall boots like that correspond to a 'clop-clop' sound in my head, haha.
    Looking forward to the linework!

@NightDragon, Lady, I hope you didnt think I forgot about this shit.

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    i....i...hear.....crickets?

The due date is tomorrow at midnight, so shes still cool... for now.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Hahaha... aaaah the title change. I'm cheerin' for ya ND, pom poms and all. I know you can do what ya need to.

• ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
  • mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    I will make a post tonight! :) Ah promise. I am still on schedule, thanks for the encouragement! And mod threats! <3 You guys are da best.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I predict four weeks before Mills gets das boot
    but that's okay it's a complex film
    anyway, drawing? yeah you can do it, that's like, really easy

Tam on
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    nooice

edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Lovely! I love the subtle color variations in the background too.

Fooled me there with those greys. At first I thought they were yellow or blue-ish, turns out it was just more red and purple ^^;;

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I think the design is solid and everything with the colors is looking nice. I really like the playing with the underlighting and receding light on the face.

This is super nit-picky but I might mention that your shape design and value composition is currently landing the visual focus of the image squarely on her boobs, which may or may not be goofy depending on how exactly you envisioned this character's personality and attitude.

Also mega-nit-picky, her scabbard might be a little bit too short for the rapier she's holding.

edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    Ohhh girl I am totally digging that purple rim light.

• ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    this is really really cool ND

edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    This stuff is amazing.

edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Outlined schmoutlined

It looks good that way, don't touch it. Its done.

edited October 2021

NightDragon on
    I think Wasser is making the right call here. You DO have 50 gestures to do before the end of next week, after all.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2014
    yeah. Honestly, the only thing that has ever held you back is your tendency to over-polish, which can make your pieces become stiff and lose that natural flow. I got the impression that part of the reason for this thread is to learn when to let go? :P

Anyway, I'm in love with the detailing on that corset, and the rim lighting. Totally yummy.

tynic on
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    The boots incidentally are my favorite part. The finish level on them is great!

edited October 2021

NightDragon on
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    I've been doing a lot of gesture drawing lately and watching videos on how to do them. I think you did a great job. The only one that feels off to me is the upper right person on the first image. Some of the poses (like the laying down ones and super foreshortened one) look like they would be really challenging but I was able to read what they were with no difficulty.

Did you try any 30 second poses or was everything 1 min+? I think the nice thing about those is that they force you to ignore the details and just concentrate on the gesture.

edited February 2014
    Because I'm not too experienced with gestures, and even doing 60 second poses was super difficult at first, I felt I should learn how to do them properly first, even if it took me a little longer. Then I could speed up once I knew what to aim for and what was important. For the first handful of these, I felt like I was going so fast I didn't know what I was doing. I tried looking things up but didn't find a lot of info on the "kind" of gesture I wanted to do...but yeah, ideally I would keep em shorter than 5 minutes and would do a few 30 second ones. :)

I'm glad you liked the hard poses, too! Haha...the laying down ones were the hardest for me...the foreshortened ones were challenging but laying down poses have always been hardest for me I think. Harder to judge proportions and such. :)

NightDragon on
    U6lZxAl.png
    gElvwDB.png

I would say simplify more and just get down the line of action first. I usually start out with a quick circle for the chest and just one big line from head to toe, a line for the angle of the hips, another for the shoulders, a circle for the head, then arms and legs, then start bulking things up- basically working your way out of most important to least. The twisting element is what makes a pose the most exciting, it's that kinetic energy that gives a pose tension and possibility, also to do with the way it interacts with that line of action. I would push the overlapping more so it's more visible. See if you can minimize your drawing down to c curves, s curves, straights, as that's the most basic form of tension, everything is built upon that. I hope this helps?

edited October 2021

NightDragon on
    Do I invent movement? Do I emphasize stuff that isn't actually there? Am I just not seeing the movement that is actually there? When people put their weight evenly on both feet/knees, for example.

Personally speaking I would say yes, I think it's easy to fall to the 'tyranny of the model'. Especially after a while where I think you'll start to develop an intuitive sense about where you want to go with the line and how you choose to ham it up. It's really my favorite thing to play off the model and exaggerate. I prefer to think of the model as a suggestion and after that it's up to me how I decide to give the pose life and push it and how I express that with line.

I really like that first example you have there, but probly cause it's most likely by an animation student. XD I'm more in the animation realm, I really enjoy work that has a graphic quality and a solid read so that's where I'm coming from. The Francis ones are good too, it feels there's less flow to me there, but he also has different criteria for what he's going for, it's less abstract than the first example.

For now I would just stick to keeping it simple, lumps and bumps are scaffolding to the structure underneath so keep that until the second pass, once you get good enough that you have a few seconds at the end left over then I would start adding it in.

In terms of weight try to think what it took frame by frame to get into that position? You may even want to emote the pose yourself to see what muscles are being used, and try to feel that line of action going through you. Mime throwing a baseball for example and try to feel frame by frame what's happening: how are your hips twisting? What are your shoulders doing right now? See how your body is making a whip to exert all this force. I personally loathe when a model doesn't twist and poses with too much symmetry cause it kills the flow, you can even see it in one of Francis' drawings on the third sheet, it's not very exciting.

edited October 2021

NightDragon on
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
    edited February 2014
    Dude what are you talking about, this is an improvement :P I really like the first one, it has a good sense of volume happening and there's a nice flow happening with the right side of the body from the back to the legs to the feet. I would say don't be afraid to get dirty with your sketches, show your work, these seem a little deliberate and less gestural. Take a page, try to do some from imagination, and just unleash yourself and try not to care too much early on how it looks, skate the page with your pencil, draw from your arm and less from your wrist, keep pushing that overlap, show the line of action, keep thinking about the shoulders and hips in space.

While doing this I would also practice drawing your shape language. Draw from your arm and see if you can draw an oval cleanly in one stroke without petting it, curves in one smooth go, straight lines, over and over, cause this is also half the battle. By drawing from your arm I mean lock your wrist and let your arm do the work, this will allow you to draw longer lines without breaks, it's only with the small details that you ever need your wrist.

Try to tell yourself that it's good to be unsatisfied, keep going!

Kallisti on