As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Thread Tags: Classy, Game-Gluttonous, Less Monstrous Than Steam Community At Large

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Really sad I missed Carrier Command: Gaea mission on humble bundle..but no buying games until I beat 2 more games in my backlog.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    This wrote: »
    Ah, I got Dualshock 4 up and running on my Surface Pro 2, which means I can finally get to all the controller-based games that are in my library. Games like Spelunky, Monaco, and Bastion (thanks again HeirTransparent).

I used to have an Xbox 360 controller a couple years ago, but man, does it ever feel good to have a not-total-shit-actually-quite-good-for-that-matter d-pad.

Was it difficult? My friend has a PS4 and honestly the most impressionable bit was the DS4. It's so comfortable to hold.

It should be the same as setting up DS3 SCP.
    Lookup "DS4 SCP" and you should find what you need. The code is based on the DS3 implementation.
    Afaik you cannot have both installed simultaneously. Looks like the DS3 SCP implementation has been updated with initial DS4 support too. However I think there's a separate one maintained by another individual

I wish Microsoft would just bite the bullet and let Sony make official drivers for it. This whole hack around me thing is super annoying.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    so no matter what I do Steam is refusing to log me in. I just keep getting the generic connection error message instantly when I try. Everything else on my internet works fine.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    To someone in the streaming beta: do you have to be running steamOS or does it work with windows, and do you need fast internet for it to work without lag, or is it all on your home network?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    so no matter what I do Steam is refusing to log me in. I just keep getting the generic connection error message instantly when I try. Everything else on my internet works fine.

Steam was down for about 15 minutes there. Should work now. Quit the client and relaunch.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Steam was down for about 15 minutes there. Should work now. Quit the client and relaunch.

actually I had to change my DNS servers for some reason, but it's working fine now that I did. Strange.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    That streaming stuff sounds like the bee's knees I'll tell you what. Say you were streaming from a Windows pc to a laptop that was running Linux, would that work or no?

• msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    Such class.
    Very happy.
    Much appreciate.
    @Mercutio87

Gifted me The Binding of Isaac AND Dungeons of Dredmor
    Thank you!

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Why is Torchlight 2 downloading workshop content when I don't even have the fucking game installed?

Better question is why do you not have Torchlight 2 installed?

Steam: offday
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I feel like banner saga really clicked for me last night. I kept waiting for the influence of my decisions instead of just enjoying the story for its own sake (I always say I don't care about story but I also never try to)

last night I really felt like I was leading this group. I felt the weight of the decisions, even though I'm still not sure what impact they have on the gameplay... very pleased. I think the art style helps.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I must be organzing gladiators well so far, as the Emperor @Iolo saw fit to gift me with Xcom Bureau without me dying first.
    But it seems a tad unfair from someone not wanting new games.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    As sad as I am to have been bounced from the gladiator battle @mercutio87 certainly classed up my day with a copy of Paranautical Activity! Thanks!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    That streaming stuff sounds like the bee's knees I'll tell you what. Say you were streaming from a Windows pc to a laptop that was running Linux, would that work or no?

I think Steam's streaming only works from a Windows PC to a machine running SteamOS. So if the laptop you're talking about is running the flavor of Linux known as SteamOS, then yes that would work (if the laptop and network were powerful enough to do said streaming)

JtgVX0H.png
  • AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    msmya wrote: »
    Such class.
    Very happy.
    Much appreciate.
    @Mercutio87

Gifted me The Binding of Isaac AND Dungeons of Dredmor
    Thank you!

Wow

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I feel like banner saga really clicked for me last night. I kept waiting for the influence of my decisions instead of just enjoying the story for its own sake (I always say I don't care about story but I also never try to)

last night I really felt like I was leading this group. I felt the weight of the decisions, even though I'm still not sure what impact they have on the gameplay... very pleased. I think the art style helps.

Varieble, I'm not Long for this world, its been an honor to serve you. Helga will understand, please ...c.arr..y the....ban.....ner......................

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

I know how you're feeling. Having a warrior that you've spent a lot of time using effectively and spending lots of renown to improve, only to have them killed in the story due to your action/inaction is gut-wrenching. I'm refusing to reload and redo these choices because dammit, I felt at the time that they were the right ones and now I need to live with the consequences. It's been a long time since a game has had me staring at the same screen, reading the options over and over and over trying to figure out what to do and really caring about the outcome.

On more than one occasion so far it's made me absent-mindedly put my head in my hands or hands over my mouth at various outcomes. I'm really feeling this story.

steam_sig.png
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    To someone in the streaming beta: do you have to be running steamOS or does it work with windows, and do you need fast internet for it to work without lag, or is it all on your home network?

Been streaming from a windows 7 pc to a windows 7 laptop. My setup is actually far from ideal, still running a Core2Duo for the main pc and I was able to get skyrim running on a laptop that is at least as old and made for office work. I also tried running stuff to a old eee pc netbook but it was terrible, I really didn't expect that to work though.

Internet speed shouldn't matter, but having it wired would help latency. The laptop could run skyrim at 720p 30fps and had something like a 2ms input lag which was not really noticeable to me but I didn't really play it much. It's also nice that because it is the streaming all of my saves and mods are streamed with it. Trying to figure out what kind of system I could hook up to my tv right now.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So I'm not sure how many of you know of this band but they tend to do Viking-esque songs so...partially relevant because of Banner Saga?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vw2O3hs-yo

Madican on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

I know how you're feeling. Having a warrior that you've spent a lot of time using effectively and spending lots of renown to improve, only to have them killed in the story due to your action/inaction is gut-wrenching. I'm refusing to reload and redo these choices because dammit, I felt at the time that they were the right ones and now I need to live with the consequences. It's been a long time since a game has had me staring at the same screen, reading the options over and over and over trying to figure out what to do and really caring about the outcome.

On more than one occasion so far it's made me absent-mindedly put my head in my hands or hands over my mouth at various outcomes. I'm really feeling this story.

totally. actually, I guess that's why it's working for me. instead of seeing dialog choices as thinly veiled stat sheet decisions (think light/dark side type choices of most games) I truly don't know what's going to happen so I have to decide how to stand based on character and what's right. I have a group that just refused protection because I didn't like what was going on in that city and then I switched to another group! I am terrified of what I'm gonna find when I switch back.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    So, uh, this is awkward.

I entered the Saint's Row 3 giveaway that @BigDes was generous enough to put up. And I won!

But, literally 12 hours before the drawing, I got Saints Row 3 for the 360 as a late Christmas gift.

So, I would kinda feel like a jerk for keeping the slightly nicer version when someone else could have Saints Row 3!

signature.png

Heads up to @Kevko, @Madican, and @Ataxrxes.
    Just in case there is any controversy brewing about cap doing this giveaway, he did contact me to tell me that he had received it for christmas and would feel bad about accepting it but as far as im concerned as soon as he won the giveaway it was his to do what he wanted with it. So yall should enter

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

totally. actually, I guess that's why it's working for me. instead of seeing dialog choices as thinly veiled stat sheet decisions (think light/dark side type choices of most games) I truly don't know what's going to happen so I have to decide how to stand based on character and what's right. I have a group that just refused protection because I didn't like what was going on in that city and then I switched to another group! I am terrified of what I'm gonna find when I switch back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Finally completed Hitman Absolution.

I would not wish that game on anyone.

Very, very few parts were actually awesome, but they were covered in a bunch of BS that left a bitter taste of any good that they might've included.

Now to uninstall and never talk about it, ever again.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    @BigDes

Super late, but thanks for the giveaway of Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP. Looking forward to playing it.

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Tonight in Rust I've wrestled a bear, climbed a tower into the clouds, looted a zombie settlement while running for my life and hoping I make it back to my shack before I succumb to radiation poisoning, and participated in a sponsored naked pit fight.

So, yeah, Rust is certainly a thing.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    So I'm not sure how many of you know of this band but they tend to do Viking-esque songs so...partially relevant because of Banner Saga?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vw2O3hs-yo

Leaves Eyes is awesome. So is Turisas, Eluveitie, Korpiklanni . . . and well, I could go on. And yes, totally relevant to Banner Saga talk. :#

Too bad the XCOM Game isn't the one on the free weekend. I have no love for tower defense games, but that one I might have actually checked out to see if it needed to be on yon wishlist.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Tonight in Rust I've wrestled a bear, climbed a tower into the clouds, looted a zombie settlement while running for my life and hoping I make it back to my shack before I succumb to radiation poisoning, and participated in a sponsored naked pit fight.

So, yeah, Rust is certainly a thing.

I have pictures of the pitfight but I can not post them because of dongs and butts. It was glorious.

This is the best twenty bucks I may have ever spent.

• BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Really sad I missed Carrier Command: Gaea mission on humble bundle..but no buying games until I beat 2 more games in my backlog.

I have honestly heard nothing but bad things about that game. Has it gotten good recently?

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
    Ok, I decided to stop being lazy and did some quick paint censorship. Here is how @Minor Incident likes to play Rust.

dong_zpsad5f65a3.jpg

dongfight_zpsb32ff00c.jpg

This was all unplanned too. I was hunting zombies and MI comes flying down a hill at me, dong flopping all over the place. It was exhilarating.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Ok, I decided to stop being lazy and did some quick paint censorship. Here is how @Minor Incident likes to play Rust.

This was all unplanned too. I was hunting zombies and MI comes flying down a hill at me, dong flopping all over the place. It was exhilarating.

Wait, so you guys weren't even playing together, it was just a random PA run in? Because if so that is awesome!

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Welp.
    Just made it to the house at Seven Gables.

Won't be sleeping tonight.

Neo Scavenger has something that Fallout never had - it is genuinely frightening.

Sokpuppet on
    It's a server that a bunch of PAers play on, but it's not a treehouse or anything. The strongest faction on the server isn't PA. The guys who own that arena are the ones with the most organization and so forth. And they are PvPers, if they catch you out you'll probably get shot, but if they invite you over for an event like the pit brawl it's a ceasefire. I'm having a seriously good time playing this game.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    It's a server that a bunch of PAers play on, but it's not a treehouse or anything. The strongest faction on the server isn't PA. The guys who own that arena are the ones with the most organization and so forth. And they are PvPers, if they catch you out you'll probably get shot, but if they invite you over for an event like the pit brawl it's a ceasefire. I'm having a seriously good time playing this game.

I'm not good with the PvPer mentality, so I think I'll steer clear of Rust.

However, that doesn't mean I won't entertain myself with other people's hijinks in said game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I'm not good with the PvPer mentality, so I think I'll steer clear of Rust.

However, that doesn't mean I won't entertain myself with other people's hijinks in said game.

I'm usually the same way in regards to PvP, but I have to say that my resolve is wearing down and I'm coming closer to buying Rust. Some of the stories over in the Rust thread put me off but intrigue me at the same time.

Between Rust, Neo Scavenger (played the demo once, survived for maybe 10 minutes and I was sold) and The Banner Saga, I'm not sure which one I want more.

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    signature.png
    Winner: @Emberquick

steam_sig.png
    For the record, I was running naked through the woods because the bandit gang who controls the server put out a call for anyone willing to step into a pit and fight other players naked. The winner of the brawl was to be awarded a cache of C4. I bumped into Drake along the way and roped him in so I'd have a cheering section.

I lost, though. I blame Drake for not cheering hard enough, and also the arrow in my throat.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    i guess we don't have a Blackguards thread. anyone playing it right now? I'm doing this dwarf "game" part and christ, that's a test of endurance. I'm pretty much beat by the last battle. any tips?

Are you the magic man?
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    This wrote: »
    Ah, I got Dualshock 4 up and running on my Surface Pro 2, which means I can finally get to all the controller-based games that are in my library. Games like Spelunky, Monaco, and Bastion (thanks again HeirTransparent).

I used to have an Xbox 360 controller a couple years ago, but man, does it ever feel good to have a not-total-shit-actually-quite-good-for-that-matter d-pad.

Was it difficult? My friend has a PS4 and honestly the most impressionable bit was the DS4. It's so comfortable to hold.

It was a bit tricky getting the controller to pair properly over bluetooth, but other than that, the only difficult bit was the scouring of the internet to find the software that allows the controller to be recognised by games that normally only support xbox 360 controllers.

I can save you the trouble of that part though: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

This is some pretty incredible software. Makes the dualshock4 work like a charm. Rumble is supported, you can customise the lightbar (including just turning it off), and you can even use the touchpad as a cursor if you want to zoom around Windows with your controller. This last bit doesn't work so well on the Surface due to the cursor being invisible by default when a mouse isn't plugged in, but it's pretty nice as an option and shows how much work these guys have put in.

So far I've only tested it in Spelunky, Bastion, and SNES9X, and it's been delightful. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't also work flawlessly with other games. If you're looking for a controller, I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you care about the d-pad.

This on
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    signature.png

@Gear Girl won the Fish Fillets 2 giveaway but it turns out I'm an idiot and instead of pressing the button to email the link I redeemed it to my account, oops! this means you now get a choice of prize, I can either buy Fish Fillets 2 or another similarly priced game? Paper Sorcerer is the same price and looks a better game or just pick any game from the store up to £10

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ^ This is why we don't let friends drink and gift.

:P

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    ^ This is why we don't let friends drink and gift.

:P

I wish, I'm at work :(

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.