As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread Tags: Classy, Game-Gluttonous, Less Monstrous Than Steam Community At Large

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    i guess we don't have a Blackguards thread. anyone playing it right now? I'm doing this dwarf "game" part and christ, that's a test of endurance. I'm pretty much beat by the last battle. any tips?

I have been playing it a little bit, but I haven't heard reached that part yet. I restarted a few times to try characters, because I got annoyed at having a main mage and running out of astral power so quickly. Now playing a hunter I built myself and made the dwarf tanky.

One giant thing that makes no sense is that if there are chests on the battlefield, you need to open them to get that loot after the battle. The chars are too lazy to search the battlefield after the fight.

It is a pretty hard game. Normal is about Hard in your average game, where you only win if you play smart. It is very easily to lose/have to restart here. (Part of this is that at least at the start, you're in xcom land re: hitpercentages which can really fluke you out.)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »
    i guess we don't have a Blackguards thread. anyone playing it right now? I'm doing this dwarf "game" part and christ, that's a test of endurance. I'm pretty much beat by the last battle. any tips?

I have been playing it a little bit, but I haven't heard reached that part yet. I restarted a few times to try characters, because I got annoyed at having a main mage and running out of astral power so quickly. Now playing a hunter I built myself and made the dwarf tanky.

One giant thing that makes no sense is that if there are chests on the battlefield, you need to open them to get that loot after the battle. The chars are too lazy to search the battlefield after the fight.

It is a pretty hard game. Normal is about Hard in your average game, where you only win if you play smart. It is very easily to lose/have to restart here. (Part of this is that at least at the start, you're in xcom land re: hitpercentages which can really fluke you out.)

Yeah, it is quite difficult but this thing in particular has given me so much trouble. You'll know when you get to it, it's fairly early on and it's rough.

I started my character out as a basic class warrior but I'm thinking of starting over to completely customize my character since I've got a better idea of how everything works now.

I'm enjoying how there seem to be a lot of battles that aren't necessarily just straight up battles, but give you options like using the environment and special tactics to win or get a major advantage. The battle system is really solid.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    frei I recall reading that that quest is SUPER hard for when you get it. I played a fair bit past it and never completed it.

I made a hunter with my main character and I wasn't sure if they gave me a mage and warrior on purpose (as in, if the two found characters were based on what I had rolled or if they're static) but my team's balance was pretty great.

been a while since I played it, now, but it's a nice challenge. that being said the dwarf game is, to my understanding, beyond the normal challenge of the game.

edit - I think I read that on the community hub on steam wherein a developer or a pr type person commented on some stuff.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    That streaming stuff sounds like the bee's knees I'll tell you what. Say you were streaming from a Windows pc to a laptop that was running Linux, would that work or no?

I thought it was any Steam to any Steam so I'm guessing it should work. That's the exact combination I'll be playing with weekend too...worst case scenario I don't mind installing SteamOS on the Netbook if need be, but hoping it will work as is.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Morning reminder, this ends today at 5 PM EST:
    signature.png

I'm giving away 2 copies of La-Mulana!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I need to be playing more Orcs Must Die! 2. I played last night with a friend and we have one level left on Nightmare mode. It was helping me to feel better about needing to take my car in to have the airbag system looked at again. Seriously, Mazda. The airbag is the system that's supposed to work when everything else goes to shit. It should not be randomly broken.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    WHOOA WHAT!? Streaming is working now?! How do I get in on this!?

• Options
    Does anyone have opinions on these? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ear-force-px22-amplified-universal-gaming-headset/8847668.p?id=1218912946720&skuId=8847668&st=px22&cp=1&lp=1

I'm thinking about grabbing a pair at lunch today - my first pair of real gaming headphones - for an early birthday gift to myself. Seems like a reasonable price...

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I can't find a pair of big cuppy type earphones that don't press on my big head and cause pain

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I can't find a pair of big cuppy type earphones that don't press on my big head and cause pain

These ones are tempting me because they work both with USB and amplification but also without which means I could use it for my phone/3DS and most importantly Wii U. I just keep reading reviews on game sites that seem to snub the brand as being overrated...

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Rusty Banner sounds like some kind of sex thing.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Does anyone have opinions on these? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ear-force-px22-amplified-universal-gaming-headset/8847668.p?id=1218912946720&skuId=8847668&st=px22&cp=1&lp=1

I'm thinking about grabbing a pair at lunch today - my first pair of real gaming headphones - for an early birthday gift to myself. Seems like a reasonable price...

TBH, gaming headsets are generally crap. Find a good pair of headphones and get a decent USB microphone. I've had turtle beaches in the past, and they're fine for what they are, but they pressed on my ears too much and started to hurt after even a modest session. The mic quality on gaming headsets is comparable to the absolute cheapest thing in any given store.

Just my 2 cents.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    dav3yb wrote: »

TBH, gaming headsets are generally crap. Find a good pair of headphones and get a decent USB microphone. I've had turtle beaches in the past, and they're fine for what they are, but they pressed on my ears too much and started to hurt after even a modest session. The mic quality on gaming headsets is comparable to the absolute cheapest thing in any given store.

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks - truthfully I don't care about the mic, I don't really play online much. I was mostly looking at it from the side of nice amplified headphones perspective. Should I be looking for a similarly priced set of standard headphones instead?

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks - truthfully I don't care about the mic, I don't really play online much. I was mostly looking at it from the side of nice amplified headphones perspective. Should I be looking for a similarly priced set of standard headphones instead?

I've been using these for about a month now, and they're glorious.

I'm loving the sound, and at least for my head, they fit perfectly. Then again, my brother didn't like the fit, so it's variable in that respect.

The mic is awesome, crystal clear. Will let you whisper the dirtiest things to your enemies' ears online.

I also got them for $80, so I don't know what the heck with that price.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Yeah, I gave up on headphones a long time ago and just picked up a decent pair of earbuds.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular

Just my 2 cents.

Head-Fi.org has some pretty great guides to buying headphones, which are separated by price range. Sony MDR-V6 is a solid buy in the sub-$75 range.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide
    http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Places like Best Buy or Staples often have headphones set up where you can try them on and have a listen, which is a good idea if you can arrange it.

I rock a pair of ATH-M50s that have served me very well, but they're a tad higher in price.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Just my 2 cents.

I would certainly recommend it. I think the Sony mdr-v6 studio monitors are the general suggested pair to get in the 50$ range. I think B&H has them around that. They might be on ear instead of over ear though. But they're generally pretty highly rated.

I think even the monoprice headphones get a nod for being good at their price.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Thanks - I think I'll wander Best Buy at lunch and see which way I want to go. Since I really don't care about the mic maybe I'll go normal headphones.

• Options
    Thanks - I think I'll wander Best Buy at lunch and see which way I want to go. Since I really don't care about the mic maybe I'll go normal headphones.

I will also just mention that I've had 2 or 3 gaming headsets blow out on me whenever some random loud noise came up. I've had my ath-m50s for some time now and they sound just as good as they did when I first got them.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Oh lud, yeah, the merchant quest in Blackgaurds is super hard. I barely beat it with my double wizard and fighter combo after, I'm pretty sure, eight to ten reloads. I had to rely on a miss on the first turn so that I could reposition my dudes to determine the outcome of the next turns. It was brutal.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I was mostly getting one because I heard it makes the Oculus Rift feel more real, but also to make it so we can use the PC and Wii U in the same room without fighting over volumes. I'm not looking to make sure I can pick up on sniper rifles in the distance in COD or anything. I really want over the ear because I find ear buds irritate me pretty quickly when I wear them at work.

I'm just looking for a $50 - 60ish decently comfortable pair - which is what the PX22 on sale at Best Buy seemed pretty solid purchase.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I got the Logitech G930s a few weeks ago and have really liked them so far. I haven't experienced any of the issues some people complain about, and the sound quality on them is pretty awesome. Even the mic sounds great. I have a decently sized noggin, and have had issues with uncomfortably tight headsets in the last, but I've worn these for hours at a time with no issues.

Don't pay full price for them though, they regularly go on sale.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Hey so like.... what is the correct way to pronounce the word "blackguard"?

I've always pronounced it as if two separate words, lately I've been hearing people pronounce it like "blagard" which made me wonder if I've been saying it wrong all these years.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    It's "blaggard" if you're British, "black guard" if you're anyone else.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Blah kug ward

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    It's "blaggard" if you're British, "black guard" if you're anyone else.

K's are hard, but it's over enunciate H's at every possible turn! :lol:

I keed I keed.

Anyway Might & Magic X needs to stop giving me that sexy come hither look. I don't have time to play you right now.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I stumbled across this on the internet and feel that I must inflict it on everyone else in this thread.

But i'm hiding it in a spoiler just so you can prepare yourself.
    D6CJUIW.jpg

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    SteevL wrote: »
    I stumbled across this on the internet and feel that I must inflict it on everyone else in this thread.

D6CJUIW.jpg

Meh. Gaben is already a sexy beast and doesn't require a girls body.

EDIT: Also, people are fucking weird. I wonder, when the day comes (soon) where the internet doesn't provide any anonymity any longer, if society will be able to recover from the disturbing shit that the internet has produced, or will the sheer amount of 'stuff' it produced eventually be the weight that leads to a future that resembles Rust.

I choose to believe that's the backstory of Rust now. And that's why all the dongs are out and there are no women. They got wise and left, and the dudes were so busy wanking it to pictures of a female gaben they forgot how to dress themselves, but never forgot how to shoot each other in the face.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I was mostly getting one because I heard it makes the Oculus Rift feel more real, but also to make it so we can use the PC and Wii U in the same room without fighting over volumes. I'm not looking to make sure I can pick up on sniper rifles in the distance in COD or anything. I really want over the ear because I find ear buds irritate me pretty quickly when I wear them at work.

I'm just looking for a $50 - 60ish decently comfortable pair - which is what the PX22 on sale at Best Buy seemed pretty solid purchase.

Go out and buy the most expensive pair of Sennheiser over the ear cans your budget allows. Trust me. The bang for your buck and comfort on Senns in that price range is off the charts compared to most cranky gaming headsets.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    It was kind of a mind-blowing moment for me when I first realized that "blaggard" and "blackguard" are actually the same word. Language, you know?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

D6CJUIW.jpg

Meh. Gaben is already a sexy beast and doesn't require a girls body.

EDIT: Also, people are fucking weird. I wonder, when the day comes (soon) where the internet doesn't provide any anonymity any longer, if society will be able to recover from the disturbing shit that the internet has produced, or will the sheer amount of 'stuff' it produced eventually be the weight that leads to a future that resembles Rust.

I choose to believe that's the backstory of Rust now. And that's why all the dongs are out and there are no women. They got wise and left, and the dudes were so busy wanking it to pictures of a female gaben they forgot how to dress themselves, but never forgot how to shoot each other in the face.

Hm you may be onto something. It's either grilled chicken or canned food to eat, and when in doubt, you resort to hitting stuff with rocks.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Finished up DarkFall 3. Was surprised to see it was not as old as I had imagined based on the Myst like movement/view. But it also looks like it was made by a very small group of people.
    I probably would not recommend it, but it is completed. Also fired up Sherlock Holmes Hound of the Baskervilles, which is one of those object find casual games. I actually kind of enjoyed Angelica Weaver as a bit of light entertainment, but this one seemed a bit blah. Kind of dumb.
    SO I went back to my Book of Unwritten Tales game which after Satinav and Dark Fall it was such a nice return to good funny well presented dialogue in an adventure game. That game is charming.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    NEO Scavenger is still brilliant by the way. Not sure if I'd mentioned it. Seven Gables gave me goosebumps.
    Also, I... uh... might've resorted to cannibalism. It was an emergency!

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Go out and buy the most expensive pair of Sennheiser over the ear cans your budget allows. Trust me. The bang for your buck and comfort on Senns in that price range is off the charts compared to most cranky gaming headsets.

Thanks - they have some on sale for $60 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-around-the-ear-headphones-black-metallic-chrome/9417295.p?id=1218102966969&skuId=9417295 and the reviews sound like they may have a display in store to try them out.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Also, not sure if that has already been posted as I've been away, but Dead State looks set to finally make an appearance. Been following this on and off for a few years now. Very much looking forward to seeing how it has turned out!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Finished up DarkFall 3. Was surprised to see it was not as old as I had imagined based on the Myst like movement/view. But it also looks like it was made by a very small group of people.
    I probably would not recommend it, but it is completed. Also fired up Sherlock Holmes Hound of the Baskervilles, which is one of those object find casual games. I actually kind of enjoyed Angelica Weaver as a bit of light entertainment, but this one seemed a bit blah. Kind of dumb.
    SO I went back to my Book of Unwritten Tales game which after Satinav and Dark Fall it was such a nice return to good funny well presented dialogue in an adventure game. That game is charming.

@akajaybay - Book of Unwritten Tales is one of my favorite point-n-clicks ever. It was delightful in so many ways. But I suggest you do yourself a favor and avoid the sequel (prequel), the Critter Chronicles. It was hugely disappointing, like they knew they had something great but didn't quite understand what, so they picked all the wrong elements to focus on for the 2nd game.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    NEO Scavenger is still brilliant by the way. Not sure if I'd mentioned it. Seven Gables gave me goosebumps.
    Also, I... uh... might've resorted to cannibalism. It was an emergency!

/puts @Ashe's name on The List for reasons.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    @akajaybay - Book of Unwritten Tales is one of my favorite point-n-clicks ever. It was delightful in so many ways. But I suggest you do yourself a favor and avoid the sequel (prequel), the Critter Chronicles. It was hugely disappointing, like they knew they had something great but didn't quite understand what, so they picked all the wrong elements to focus on for the 2nd game.

Yeah I had seen it on sale before but left it alone since I think I've seen that mentioned here before. Too bad.
    I also didn't bother with the Deponia's beyond the first since the first one wasn't doing much for me. Which that sounds like a bullet dodged also.

I did like Edna & Harvey's New Eyes quite a bit. Although it wasn't until later that I noticed it was a sequel, which makes sense since the game references a number of past events but I thought it stood alone fine.
    Yesterday was a pretty good one also if a bit short. But it gets pretty cheap also. I need to finish up the Blackwell games still. I'm on the 3rd currently.
    I also liked Resonance despite one particularly ridiculous mid section puzzle that was just nonsense I had to look up.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    According to this post on the steam forums it is possible to get self use refunds for pre-orders now. I think that is a step in the right direction. Steam definitely needs to be better about customer support and this helps a bit.

Isorn on
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    NEO Scavenger really is a great game. Cross posting here from the thread from my last game:
    I was up and going for 18 days and feeling pretty damn chipper. I had a rifle with ammo, plenty of supplies, and decided to trek out west to see what I could see. Since I started with Botany, I had never really run in to problems with food or water, so that was nice.

Of course, it also means I was not incredibly picky about the water I was drinking. I scavenged some water from a town, which I rarely found, and just drank it up without thinking. With the ocean in sight and a nice little ruin on the coast behind two forest tiles, I clearly had an ideal place to call home while scavenging about. And then the infection hit. No worries, I have plenty of... wait... no... not in that bottle either. It turns out I had gotten a little too secure in my position and not brought antibiotics on this particular adventure.

So there I rested, on that nice little hex on the coast. I knew I was too far away from the city or my stash at the cryo lab. The man who survived bandits, dogmen, midnight raids by looters and the harsh elements faded away due to one bad drink, and the cholera it caused, in a quiet shack by the sea.

My only complaint about this game is that there is not more of it. It really is so good.

I didn't want to read through all the posts in detail for fear of spoilers, but should I be playing Black Guard? It didn't jump out at me at first, but everyone seems to be talking about it.

And can I get an invite the the PA Adventure team? I desire PA adventures (and I have stuff to give away). I got extra copies of Sacrifice during the sale, and I am willing to bet donuts to sex that not enough of you have played this game.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.