As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Thread Tags: Classy, Game-Gluttonous, Less Monstrous Than Steam Community At Large

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Damn rust sounds awesome. How much does it cost? I'm at work and can't check.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular

$20

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Ashe wrote: »
    NEO Scavenger is still brilliant by the way. Not sure if I'd mentioned it. Seven Gables gave me goosebumps.
    Also, I... uh... might've resorted to cannibalism. It was an emergency!
    Fallout 3, took the cannibalism perk, met the cannibal family, found out about their "dark secret", said it was cool and I understood.
    Then slaughtered them all when they turned their backs and feasted on them.
    I might be a monster.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Oh and for anyone who didn't know: if you have (A) Crayon Physics and (B) a Wacom tablet and have yet to try them out together, they work together so go try it. :#

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

$20

Maybe the best damn twenty dollars I've ever spent and the game isn't even out of Early Access yet.

Updates and fixes come quickly too and so far I haven't seen Facepunch do anything that interferes with the fun. Mostly because unlike a certain other super fun early access survival game with zombies, Rust admins have a lot more control (in many cases too much control) over their servers. The one we are mostly playing on has drops and crafting tuned to make C4 super rare and tweaked weapon loot tables so it's easier for players to compete and encourages going out and getting stuff which creates interesting interactions with other players (these interactions do include dongs and rocks to the head on many occasion). Some servers are pure PvE with no PvP at all. You think that they are peaceful Utopias of coop gaming? Think again, these servers are gloriously high population and resource poor where everyone has a grift, an angle or is just a thief and liar. It's a Libertarian Paradise without the guns. Regular Rust is Libertarian Paradise with the guns, of course. It has the same flavor of player interactions and intrigue as games like Eve and Ultima Online, it's very player driven and Facepunch is all about giving us the tools to make all of our Road Warrior/Fallout fantasies possible.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

$20

Maybe the best damn twenty dollars I've ever spent and the game isn't even out of Early Access yet.

Updates and fixes come quickly too and so far I haven't seen Facepunch do anything that interferes with the fun. Mostly because unlike a certain other super fun early access survival game with zombies, Rust admins have a lot more control (in many cases too much control) over their servers. The one we are mostly playing on has drops and crafting tuned to make C4 super rare and tweaked weapon loot tables so it's easier for players to compete and encourages going out and getting stuff which creates interesting interactions with other players (these interactions do include dongs and rocks to the head on many occasion). Some servers are pure PvE with no PvP at all. You think that they are peaceful Utopias of coop gaming? Think again, these servers are gloriously high population and resource poor where everyone has a grift, an angle or is just a thief and liar. It's a Libertarian Paradise without the guns. Regular Rust is Libertarian Paradise with the guns, of course. It has the same flavor of player interactions and intrigue as games like Eve and Ultima Online, it's very player driven and Facepunch is all about giving us the tools to make all of our Road Warrior/Fallout fantasies possible.

gaaah that does sound awesome. Hopefully people will be playing this for a while so when I can finally afford it won't be ghost town. By the time I got natural selection 2 no one I knew was still playing it!

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Kias wrote: »
    NEO Scavenger really is a great game. Cross posting here from the thread from my last game:
    I was up and going for 18 days and feeling pretty damn chipper. I had a rifle with ammo, plenty of supplies, and decided to trek out west to see what I could see. Since I started with Botany, I had never really run in to problems with food or water, so that was nice.

Of course, it also means I was not incredibly picky about the water I was drinking. I scavenged some water from a town, which I rarely found, and just drank it up without thinking. With the ocean in sight and a nice little ruin on the coast behind two forest tiles, I clearly had an ideal place to call home while scavenging about. And then the infection hit. No worries, I have plenty of... wait... no... not in that bottle either. It turns out I had gotten a little too secure in my position and not brought antibiotics on this particular adventure.

So there I rested, on that nice little hex on the coast. I knew I was too far away from the city or my stash at the cryo lab. The man who survived bandits, dogmen, midnight raids by looters and the harsh elements faded away due to one bad drink, and the cholera it caused, in a quiet shack by the sea.

My only complaint about this game is that there is not more of it. It really is so good.

I didn't want to read through all the posts in detail for fear of spoilers, but should I be playing Black Guard? It didn't jump out at me at first, but everyone seems to be talking about it.

And can I get an invite the the PA Adventure team? I desire PA adventures (and I have stuff to give away). I got extra copies of Sacrifice during the sale, and I am willing to bet donuts to sex that not enough of you have played this game.

Wait. Clarify. Are you putting up donuts or sex? Because I am damn sure not giving up any donuts to anyone on a bet...
    Also, you're on The List too. For reasons.

edit: Also, yes. You should be playing Blackguards. It's fantastic.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    A question about Agarest: the current one on Steam looks fun enough, but the Metacritic ratings are kinda in the toilet. Is it really a bad game, or are people just being really harsh?

@Kalnaur, a little late, but Agarest is a perfectly serviceable (while definitely falling on the "Oh Japan" level of weird) SRPG. I picked it up cheap during the Winter Sale and I wasn't disappointed. Plus, cards for the game will net you at least 4 bucks if you're inclined to sell them.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    Gr45gvf.png

This looks like a fake game, but I must have it.

$20

gaaah that does sound awesome. Hopefully people will be playing this for a while so when I can finally afford it won't be ghost town. By the time I got natural selection 2 no one I knew was still playing it!

Unless something terrible happens I don't ever see myself not playing Rust. Facepunch will probably develop this like they did Garry's Mod so we can probably count on some real long term support.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Well, I know it's not the darling that rust is to most people but I just had my first genuine 'oh fucking hell' moment in Nether.

Was doing a courier run between two outposts. They're reasonably close plus I have a Katana and Pilgrims hat so I'm obviously hot shit at this point. Jogging along I accidentally agro a standard mook who I chop down in two hits but in the process of doing so agro a screamer.

The screamer also died with little effort, but not before it got it's name sake wail off. Regardless I just stood there, waiting for the inevitable mook or two to mop up from that call to arms.

Then a thug shows up, a tank, a monstrosity, regardless of what you want to call it they're the god damn biggest Nether's in the game. To put in perspective how fucked I was at this very moment my Katana does 390 damage a swing.

The tank possesses 15,000HP, it's attacks swipe a couple of hundred health off a hit and can't be blocked. Naturally at this point I ran like a bitch, only to realise that, like all Nether in the game, the mother fucking thing can teleport right onto my face.

Three minutes later I scrambled in range of the safezones anti-bullshit devices with 40 HP. Out of 1000. My heart thudding in my chest as the constant terrifying whoosh of a teleport faded into memory.

Then I traded my courier package for two bottles of water and a packet of crisps.

I kinda adore this game.

Whenever Rust gets around to adding female players, I'll be joining in that. It sounds great. Right now it just lurks in my backlog... waiting... breathing heavily... and occasionally making strange noises to let me know it's still there.
    Not unlike @Smokestacks

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited January 2014
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    A question about Agarest: the current one on Steam looks fun enough, but the Metacritic ratings are kinda in the toilet. Is it really a bad game, or are people just being really harsh?

@Kalnaur, a little late, but Agarest is a perfectly serviceable (while definitely falling on the "Oh Japan" level of weird) SRPG. I picked it up cheap during the Winter Sale and I wasn't disappointed. Plus, cards for the game will net you at least 4 bucks if you're inclined to sell them.

As someone who intermittently views hentai for the entertainment factor, I am more than fine with "Oh Japan" level of weird. ;)

Kalnaur on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Whenever Rust gets around to adding female players, I'll be joining in that. It sounds great. Right now it just lurks in my backlog... waiting... breathing heavily... and occasionally making strange noises to let me know it's still there.
    Not unlike @Smokestacks

But naked men smashing naked women in the head with rocks is misogynistic. Or at least it would cause a ruckus for being misogynistic.

*all I know about Rust is naked people smash each other with rocks

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Not unlike @Smokestacks

But naked men smashing naked women in the head with rocks is misogynistic. Or at least it would cause a ruckus for being misogynistic.

But if there are naked men and naked women then it could be:

naked men smashing naked men with rocks
    naked men smashing naked women with rocks
    naked women smashing naked men with rocks
    naked women smashing naked women with rocks

Which, unless you are really looking for something to complain about, seems pretty fair. Now, if whole servers collectively decided to only shoot, smash or otherwise kill female avatars as well as deny them any and all gear (or something along that spectrum), that I would argue as being misogynistic.;)

To be honest as much as I like the idea of rust having female avatars I can't help but dread the horror stories that it would generate from the average server of scumbags and ne'er do wells.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you play as a female in Rust you will be given lots of free stuff.

But not clothing.

Well at least it's not DayZ were you can throw a sack over someones head, tie them up and take their clothes off.

• AsheAshe Registered User regular

$20

Drake strikes again.

steam_sig.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I don't get the survival genre that is the new hotness right now. I mean, I think i would if it was attached to a game with good mechanics or animation potentially, but it seems like people are going nuts for games that have the most garbage looking animations and gameplay systems, and that I definitely don't get.

Also, early access is horrible and putting those games on the front page of steam without a way to filter them out is awful.

Joshmvii wrote: »
    I don't get the survival genre that is the new hotness right now. I mean, I think i would if it was attached to a game with good mechanics or animation potentially, but it seems like people are going nuts for games that have the most garbage looking animations and gameplay systems, and that I definitely don't get.

Also, early access is horrible and putting those games on the front page of steam without a way to filter them out is awful.

DayZ is basically Arma.

So that's hardly horrible

Nether's actually pretty good from a systems stand point right now.

I completely agree the lack of an early access filter is annoying as shit because alot of games do early access really, really badly.

IMO early access shouldn't be a thing at all. In the past, early access buyers were called quality assurance testers and companies paid them to test their alphas. Now, companies are getting people to pay them for the benefit of testing their game with no indication that the final product will be done any time soon. I've seen arguments that early access gets you games cheaper which is also not necessarily true, because you're paying for the final product and when you factor in time value of money, your $30 now might very well have been worth 50 or 60 when the final build of the game comes out.

Companies are using the excitement of gamers over potential to get money to fund games that may end up never being a product that's worth spending money on, and I think it's a shit practice. Normally I'd just say "I'm not going to buy early access games myself, let everybody else do what they want," but it's not that simple. Ubisoft is already looking at putting their pay to win Ghost Recon Online out in the U.S. for early access, because of cours Ubisoft needs your help paying to develop and test their game. I imagine people will be surprised when the first AAA MMO does $30 early access 2 years away from release that gets you "access to the alpha/beta!!!@#@!#!"

If you want people to test your game for you then offer an open alpha/beta test. That's my opinion and will not change.

TB's video about it does a pretty good with this discussion, though his stance is more "Early access is for the hardcore," where mine is it's just a bad thing period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyGbbIB5eaM

Well, I know it's not the darling that rust is to most people but I just had my first genuine 'oh fucking hell' moment in Nether.

Was doing a courier run between two outposts. They're reasonably close plus I have a Katana and Pilgrims hat so I'm obviously hot shit at this point. Jogging along I accidentally agro a standard mook who I chop down in two hits but in the process of doing so agro a screamer.

The screamer also died with little effort, but not before it got it's name sake wail off. Regardless I just stood there, waiting for the inevitable mook or two to mop up from that call to arms.

Then a thug shows up, a tank, a monstrosity, regardless of what you want to call it they're the god damn biggest Nether's in the game. To put in perspective how fucked I was at this very moment my Katana does 390 damage a swing.

The tank possesses 15,000HP, it's attacks swipe a couple of hundred health off a hit and can't be blocked. Naturally at this point I ran like a bitch, only to realise that, like all Nether in the game, the mother fucking thing can teleport right onto my face.

Three minutes later I scrambled in range of the safezones anti-bullshit devices with 40 HP. Out of 1000. My heart thudding in my chest as the constant terrifying whoosh of a teleport faded into memory.

Then I traded my courier package for two bottles of water and a packet of crisps.

I kinda adore this game.

Yeah I feel bad because I've been so enamored with Rust that I haven't really played Nether yet. But today is patch day for Rust so probably no Rust for me today until the server gets updated. I should take this as an opportunity to get into Nether.

• FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I would've bought DayZ by now if there was more than just 5 people on my friend's list that owned it. Considering how popular it is, I am a bit surprised by the fact.

There are several people here that I know I would either; A.) Join forces and form bonds of everlasting friendship against the human and undead hordes and B.) Strip them down, tie 'em up, and force them to drink liquid bleach and expired foodstuffs.

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Hey, look at that @Rikdaly I got the high score on the Spiderman table again by 8 million (217 million score).

I'd make come up with some Spiderman related references to go along with this gloating announcement, but I'm a little busy putting myself out.

Cause I'm on fire.

edited January 2014

Don't pretend that a ton of AAA games are nothing but a bunch of slickly marketed crap that isn't ready for release. There's plenty of terrible to go around, that's no excuse to slam doors and limit choice. Early Access titles of interest may get banners but they don't get listed in the New Release column on the store page, they get listed in the Coming Soon panel. They are already filtered, the banners exist to draw attention to all parts of the store, early access, Free to Play and so on.

Drake on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Not unlike @Smokestacks

Which, unless you are really looking for something to complain about, seems pretty fair. Now, if whole servers collectively decided to only shoot, smash or otherwise kill female avatars as well as deny them any and all gear (or something along that spectrum), that I would argue as being misogynistic.;)

@Kalnaur meet the Internet, internet meet Kalnaur.

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Hey, look at that @Rikdaly I got the high score on the Spiderman table again by 8 million (217 million score).

I'd make come up with some Spiderman related references to go along with this gloating announcement, but I'm a little busy putting myself out.

Cause I'm on fire.

Ha, I saw the notification and knew what it was going to be. Well done mate, I'll see if I can top it some time but I'm trying to clear some of the backlog at the minute, finished Assassin's Creed 4 last night (which was awesome) so I'm making progress at least

steam_sig.png

Don't pretend that a ton of AAA games are nothing but a bunch of slickly marketed crap that isn't ready for release. There's plenty of terrible to go around, that's no excuse to slam doors and limit choice. Early Access titles of interest may get banners but they don't get listed in the New Release column on the store page, they get listed in the Coming Soon panel. They are already filtered, the banners exist to draw attention to all parts of the store, early access, Free to Play and so on.

AAA games that are garbage on release deserve to be treated as such too. I can't believe all the good reviews BF4 got in its garbage release state for instance, and I of course did not buy it. I gave my reasons in my 2nd post as to why I think early access is bad and won't rehash it.

RE: steam store, the first 2 things on my steam store front page right now are Starbound and Dayz, and the only thing that differentiates them from released games is they say "Early access now available" rather than "Now available." I want the option to never see a single early access game on steam anywhere.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Damn it Newell. I'd already uninstalled The Bureau, and you call me back with a cheap pistol and DLC chapter. And just like that I'm right back in. It's a good thing I don't live somewhere with bandwidth-capped Internet.

camo_sig2.png

I kinda adore this game.

Yeah I feel bad because I've been so enamored with Rust that I haven't really played Nether yet. But today is patch day for Rust so probably no Rust for me today until the server gets updated. I should take this as an opportunity to get into Nether.

We should team up.

I'll bring the water and bad fashion sense.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't really play games like Rust or DayZ with brutal PvP like that. Because while I can be a downright monster to NPC's in single-player games, I hold back when I know it's players and that my actions will have a lasting consequence. So I'm the sort of person who would take the "wait and see" train of thought when it comes to player interaction in those games, instead of shooting first, and dollars to donuts I'm gonna end up with my shack on fire and my corpse on the side of whatever passes for a road put into a compromising position that will bring everlasting shame to my family.

I hate waiting for things.

I like early access. If it's a game I just know I'm going to end up buying anyway, sure, I'll happily take the opportunity to play around with it prerelease, even if I am unlikely to play through all (or even most) of it in early access mode. Pay now, pay later - all the same. Just less uncomfortable anticipation this way. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Not unlike @Smokestacks

Much of the mod videos for Resident Evil 4 PC are Ryona clips of female replacers. Mount and Blade had a naked Amazon Mod back during the 2005 alpha (which also makes a good case study for Early alphas). There is WARFRAME porn. ANIMATED WARFRAME PORN!

There is no IF when it comes to female bodies on the internet, but WHEN.

edited January 2014
    Black flag is 50% off in the Amazon Editor's Choice Sale (steam key), that makes it $25 If you have a $5 off coupon from the winter sale.

Edit: The steam page doesn't have an icon for gamepad support, but the specs at the bottom of the page say controller option but mouse and keyboard required, so does it have partial gamepad support or not?

LostNinja on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    IMO early access shouldn't be a thing at all.

Well, too bad.

AAA games that are garbage on release deserve to be treated as such too. I can't believe all the good reviews BF4 got in its garbage release state for instance, and I of course did not buy it. I gave my reasons in my 2nd post as to why I think early access is bad and won't rehash it.

RE: steam store, the first 2 things on my steam store front page right now are Starbound and Dayz, and the only thing that differentiates them from released games is they say "Early access now available" rather than "Now available." I want the option to never see a single early access game on steam anywhere.

They have Early Access in their descriptions and on their store page you get a big blue banner that announces it's Early Access status and so on. No one is trying to pull anything, and it can be the only avenue that some games will ever get made. Without this there would be no Mount & Blade, there would be no Endless Space, or Minecraft just for example. Why shouldn't Steam and Valve support this model and provide it for customers who are interested in it? I suppose I could ask for a filter that would never show me another game from AAA Publishers but then I'd miss out on stuff like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. I see no reason for Early Access titles to be relegated to some indie gaming ghetto. Why shouldn't they get equal opportunities for exposure? Do you think Activision would put up with Steam allowing users to filter all of their products from the store?

LostNinja wrote: »
    Not unlike @Smokestacks

Much of the mod videos for Resident Evil 4 PC are Ryona clips of female replacers. Mount and Blade had a naked Amazon Mod back during the 2005 alpha (which also makes a good case study for Early alphas). There is WARFRAME porn. ANIMATED WARFRAME PORN!

There is no IF when it comes to female bodies on the internet, but WHEN.

How would warframe porn even work, they are in armor and no one knows what they look like out of it? Wait on second thought I don't want to know, I will stay blissfully ignorant.

Madican wrote: »
    I don't really play games like Rust or DayZ with brutal PvP like that. Because while I can be a downright monster to NPC's in single-player games, I hold back when I know it's players and that my actions will have a lasting consequence. So I'm the sort of person who would take the "wait and see" train of thought when it comes to player interaction in those games, instead of shooting first, and dollars to donuts I'm gonna end up with my shack on fire and my corpse on the side of whatever passes for a road put into a compromising position that will bring everlasting shame to my family.

This is why I dig Nether.

Bit faster paced and more structured than DayZ (can't comment on Rust) so it's less of a big deal to die and I don't really care about killing someone if he looks at me funny.

• mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    It's "blaggard" if you're British, "black guard" if you're anyone else.

That threw me a bit. As an actual Brit, I've been pronouncing it "black guard" as well.

Also, good to hear feedback about the game. I'd come across mixed reviews for it previously so v useful to get perspective from folks actually playing the game.

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
This discussion has been closed.