As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Games and Technology
Though the great King of 8 bits, the noble Blue Bomber, slumbers upon Avalon until the day of the Mighty No. 9, fear not people of NES! A new generation of knights has risen to battle evil with courage, honor, and shovels!

4f452c7dcc9896590bb2701bdbda0765_large.jpg?1381732277

You want a classy, stylish 8 bit platformer that doesn't take itself too seriously? Here you go. You want music from Manami Matsumae, composer of classic Mega Man songs? Done. Oh what's that? You want some Zelda, Castlevania, Ducktales and Dark Souls too? No problem! How about playable bosses, a challenge mode and multiplayer? Done! From Yacht Club Games, Shovel Knight now has a release date of March 31st for PC, 3DS and WiiU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zddBfV3fpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-uuawy9Ok

This is the time, the time for JUSTICE. Shovel Justice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcP3yp6w7Pw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77elof_AZbk

Awesome concept art:
b57c3c1d592d12658494e41a17143f4e_large.PNG?1362529880
d4233a058e0151737f5c8694a2257649_large.png?1381724253
image-231793-full.jpg?1364430465
53395d758184849886743c8c55962825_large.png?1363049333
cf038f78f4f3e83ecdb1f60a25fca5a5_large.png?1381726553
3672ed99c734cd1fcf0e4f629b9ddbae_large.png?1381728821
93d307052a942e223966700504d9df6c_large.png?1381730894
b546ccd09b199e4a275ec8e97d67bdc2_large.png?1381735524
36a9364de46245b567c0f274f8f1f08e_large.png?1381741500
74c370c6575b78e8bf0117beaad9b108_large.png?1381750543
8c2ce48c98f6a42a24d8ab7c2cfe022d_large.png?1381796558
17f0272c58d3f880855232f71bc775c3_large.png?1381768332

manwiththemachinegun on

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I missed the kickstarter on this one by, like, a day. Glad to see it has a release date!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Totally getting this on the WiiU.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Super hyped! The three playable bosses selected by fan vote were: Specter Knight, Plague Knight, and King Knight. And all of them will have a different story mode and gameplay mechanics!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Oh my god, I love platformers and I love those retro graphics and music. Going to buy this so hard

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Didn't get a chance to back this, but I'll be making a purchase for sure.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Director for a day enemies!
    9501294da63c8fc3bd74d7336a3841b6_large.png?1389299615
    a7eaa81196429285d0596099b6512d0c_large.png?1389299629
    7a740262ab189e59703c87a7354f5f77_large.png?1389299650
    b21d05bf0bf8e9d5e5de051c2465d1c3_large.png?1389299672
    46f496bd0028f2ed25494aaa37d1b6fe_large.png?1389299682

I'm probably biased, but the Best Friends one is the best. :P The other basic enemies are still awesome though.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Plat0nicPlat0nic Registered User regular
    Why does that knight only use a shovel? Is he digging his own grave?

• Options
    The fastest way to dig an enemy's grave is a shovel through their chest cavity.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Plat0nic wrote: »
    Why does that knight only use a shovel? Is he digging his own grave?

He's burying Mega Man's corpse.
    7327e1c39170bd0f50b08697b6f0241620120112153249.jpg

:P

Funnily enough, sharpened entrenching tools were used as lethal melee weapons in World War I.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Excited about this. Glad to see a thread. I kickstarted it, so I assume I'm getting the PC version? Or can we choose?
    Super hyped! The three playable bosses selected by fan vote were: Specter Knight, Plague Knight, and King Knight. And all of them will have a different story mode and gameplay mechanics!

Wow, I didn't know this. All of those knights look awesome though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I feel kind of obligated to mention this for those interested:
    1017374_676234092419270_1119965544_n.jpg
    This exclusive artwork was created for NF Magazine by Yacht Club Games‘ own concept artist, Erin Pellon. She went wild with this one – every main character from the game is featured, overflowing from the front cover and on to the back. (We’ll let you pick up a copy of the issue to see the reverse side, though. Grab a Bundle in the NF Store to get your name on the list!)

Exclusive interview with Yacht Club Games about it inside, too.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    anoffday wrote: »
    Excited about this. Glad to see a thread. I kickstarted it, so I assume I'm getting the PC version? Or can we choose?

There was a choice to pick what platform you wanted it on back when the Kickstarter was running. If you can't remember, you may need to contact them, or if you've been getting emails from Yacht Club, check out those. There's an FAQ on their website.

http://yachtclubgames.com/

With PC there's a bit of flexibility, there's a normal PC release with no DRM and a STEAM version.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I backed this about halfway through it's KS. Picking it up for 3DS because I'm curious to see what they'll do with the second screen.

I thought the music was done by Jake Kaufman.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    anoffday wrote: »

There was a choice to pick what platform you wanted it on back when the Kickstarter was running. If you can't remember, you may need to contact them, or if you've been getting emails from Yacht Club, check out those. There's an FAQ on their website.

http://yachtclubgames.com/

With PC there's a bit of flexibility, there's a normal PC release with no DRM and a STEAM version.

Went back through my emails and saw this.

REWARD
    Get a digital copy of Shovel Knight for PC, hot off the digital presses!

Was this before they announced it for other platforms? Or did I have to spend more to get to choose? This was for 10 dollars.

edit: Yep. Just figured it out. 10 was for PC. 15 let you choose. I'm ok with it. I'd go with steam anyway.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Backed this. Super exited to see it finally come to life. Cant wait!

• Options
    I backed this about halfway through it's KS. Picking it up for 3DS because I'm curious to see what they'll do with the second screen.

I thought the music was done by Jake Kaufman.

It is, but Manami Matsumae is more of a headline grabber. All the tracks so far sound awesome though.

• Options
    Pretty good interview here with Yacht Club Games about Shovel Knight's design:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/13/shovel-knight-retro-action-in-spades/

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Geez forums.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Stop going crazy.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Shit yeah, still excited for this game!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Well then. I know what I'll be buying on March 31st. 3DS, baby!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Still need to decide if I want the 3DS or Wii U version. Both of them have nifty features utilizing the systems. And I can technically play both in bed. Choices…

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Still need to decide if I want the 3DS or Wii U version. Both of them have nifty features utilizing the systems. And I can technically play both in bed. Choices…

If I had a WiiU the choice might be a shade more difficult. Alas, I have a PC and no use for consoles anymore.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    I'm pretty excited, this will be the first game I've backed through kickstart. If it's as good as an average Megaman game, I'll be pleased. But it seems like a lot more has gone into it.

• Options
    Zython wrote: »

If I had a WiiU the choice might be a shade more difficult. Alas, I have a PC and no use for consoles anymore.

I hear ya. If it weren't for Nintendo and a handful of other good Japanese console games, I'd probably go full PC as well.

• Options
  • Options
    Okay, so when is this coming out now? Apparently it was pushed back on all platforms? I was so pumped to get it today...

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I believe "a few weeks" is as specific as they've been.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Update 40 wrote:
    Hello Shovelers and Shovelettes! There are only a couple weeks until Shovel Knight’s release date of March 31. The crew at the Yacht Club is tired; we’ve been working literally every day, and every waking hour, to make the game great. But! We’re just not quite there yet.
    So, we hemmed and hawed, and made a Super Important Executive Decision. This update is to let everyone know that Shovel Knight will be missing March 31 by a few weeks to make sure it’s a world class experience, and can release on all platforms simultaneously. This isn’t a major delay, or a long one; it’s simply a stretch of time to get everything polished and aligned. While major development is quickly drawing to a close, there are still some external factors, like submission preparation, which need a little bit more breathing room before the game goes live.

We don’t want to announce another release date until it's 100% locked in with both Nintendo and Steam, so please sit tight… we’ll announce a new, final release date very soon.
    http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/03/delay-extravaganza/

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    For those who were part of the kickstarter, on the humble bundle page to claim your purchase there's an option to download high resolution character art. There's also some new music on the official site.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    So any more news on this? It's been 2 weeks.

• Options
    Based on twitter chatting, it sounds like June is the target release date but obviously that's not set in stone. I think the reason for the delay is a hold up with getting all the different editions ready to go for a same day launch.

• Options
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno what went wrong when you are two weeks from release and suddenly need to move it to June.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I dunno what went wrong when you are two weeks from release and suddenly need to move it to June.

The only thing I can think of is that there was a game-breaking bug they caught in the last minute.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I can't even imagine what kind of bug would take months to fix, unless your actual game code it atrocious.

• Options
    What I imagine is whoever is announcing dates is doing so based on the "if everything goes according to plan it should be done by x" estimates

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Apparently they just wanted to take an extra bunch of weeks to polish the shit out of it. Which is fine by me.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Just received a KS e-mail about the game.

Official official release date is June 26. Right after my birthday.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear