As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Resistance: Avalon (Game 2)]: Quest 5 is Over, and Thus Ends Our Game.

HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby HorsesIn the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
edited February 2014 in Critical Failures
The previous Critical Failures game of The Resistance: Avalon ended with a victory by Mordred's Minions (aided by an accidentally overpowered Oberon)! Sign-ups are now being taken for the next game, which I'll be running.

First, some rules and explanation for those who may not know the game. I've just copied Professor Phobo's excellent rundown from the previous thread:
It's the days of Camelot, but Arthur's rule isn't going very well. There are threats aplenty, requiring brave and loyal knights to go on Quests. Five Quests, specifically. If the loyal servants of Arthur can succeed at three of the five Quests, Camelot is stabilized and the glorious somewhat benevolent rule of an unelected monarch can continue. But amongst Arthur's Knights are various servants of evil, who want to bring down his reign and place the wicked Mordred on the throne. If they can fail three of the five Quests, Arthur is overthrown.

We'll go for the full 10 players, meaning six loyal servants of Arthur and four minions of Mordred.

The special characters are...

good.jpg
Merlin: On the side of Good. Merlin knows who the Minions of Mordred are. If, however, the Minions of Mordred can guess his identity at the end of the game (they get one shot to do so), Merlin is assassinated and Evil wins. Even if Good succeeded at three of the five quests. This is very important. If Merlin dies, Good loses.

Percival: On the side of Good. Percival's job is to protect Merlin, as best as he can. At the start of the game, he'll know who Merlin is. Well, he'll have a 50/50 shot at knowing who Merlin is. See below for "Morgana."

evil.jpg
Mordred: Mordred is like any of the other evil characters, but he is invisible to Merlin's magic and unknown to him at the start of the game.

Morgana: Morgana's purpose is to confuse Percival. She registers as Merlin to Percival at the start of the game. She is otherwise the same as any other Evil character.

Oberon: The demonic faerie Oberon is generally dickish enough to qualify as Team Evil, but he doesn't play well with others - he's unknown to the rest of the Evil team.

To summarize, there will be six Loyal Servants of Arthur, one of whom is Merlin and one of whom is Percival.
There will be four Minions of Mordred, one of whom is Mordred, one of whom is Morgana, one of whom is Oberon, and finally one is the Assassin and gets final say on who Team Evil picks out as Merlin at the end of the game.

ALL conversation and discussion must take place in this thread. No private message communications between one another; that would defy the spirit and vitiate the whole purpose of a social deduction game.

If you don't know the Resistance, the basic rules are:

Every turn, there will be a Team Leader. He picks Knights to go on a Quest. Then everyone votes (publicly but simultaneously) to approve or disapprove that team. Note: If after five votes, no team is approved, Evil wins. But this almost never happens since a simple majority or a tie means "Approval."

Once the team is selected, they will each secretly either play a "Success" or "Fail." Even one Fail means the Quest fails - except for Quest 4, which requires two failures. If you are on the side of Good, you must play Success. If you are on the side of Evil, you have your choice and for various purposes an Evil player may not want to sabotage a Quest.

If a vote fails, Team Leader passes to the next player. If a Quest goes forward, Team Leader passes to the next player.

One last wrinkle is the Lady of the Lake. The final player in the sequence starts with the token. Immediately after the resolution of Quests 2, 3 or 4, he can play the Lady of the Lake on any other player to see their loyalty. Not their character, mind you, just whether or not they are on Team Evil or Team Good. The character who was targeted gets the Token and can play it the next time it is available for play.

Procedure: Votes go to me via PM and then I'll reveal all simultaneously. Success/Fail plays to me via PM and then I'll reveal and probably do some lame descriptive fiction of the Quest. By tradition, the Team Leader can describe what Quest he's sending his Knights on. By convention, these should be funny.

Pro-Tip: In the previous game, one very successful minion posted a great deal, and another very successful minion posted very little. The mere act of posting in the thread should not by itself be taken as evidence of loyalty or treachery. Regular posting by all players is highly encouraged, as a play-by-post game has the fun drained out of it when people stop chatting with one another.

Caveat: I reserve the right to prod people every so often if it seems like players are taking too long in proposing teams or in voting. The more quickly this is played (within reason, of course), the more enjoyable it is. Only sign up if you're willing to check in on the thread and comment at least once a day for the next 7-10 days.

A call to arms to previous players: @Sokpuppet, @Kaneski, @Davoid, @Mikey CTS, @jdarksun, @Kirindal, @Megamek, @Phyphor, @Rhan9, @Professor Phobos

Turn Order
1. SeGaTai
2. Professor Phobos
3. Kaneski
4. Phyphor
5. jdarksun
6. InkSplat
7. Rhan9
8. discrider
9. Davoid

Number of knights per mission: 3-4-4-5-5.
The fourth mission requires two fail cards to be played for the minions to win the round; all others require only one fail card.

Quest 1 SUCCEEDED: SeGaTai, Professor Phobos, and Kaneski

Quest 2 SUCCEEDED: SeGaTai, Professor Phobos, Kaneski, and InkSplat

Quest 3 FAILED: SeGaTai, Professor Phobos, Kaneski, and jdarksun

Quest 4 FAILED: Kaneski, Phyphor, jdarksun, discrider, and Davoid (2 fail cards played).

Medieval Democracy:
Quest 1, Vote 1: SeGaTai proposed {SeGaTai, Phobos, Kaneski}; Passed 9-0
Ayes: SeGaTai, Professor Phobos, Kaneski, Phyphor, jdarksun, InkSplat, Rhan9, discrider, Davoid
Nays: --

====
Quest 2, Vote 1: Professor Phobos proposed {SeGaTai, Phobos, Kaneski, InkSplat}; Passed 6-3
Ayes: SeGaTai, Professor Phobos, jdarksun, InkSplat, discrider, Davoid
Nays: Kaneski, Phyphor, Rhan9

====
Quest 3, Vote 1: Kaneskiproposed {Phyphor, jdarksun, Rhan9, Davoid}; Rejected 0-9
Ayes: --
Nays: SeGaTai, Professor Phobos, Kaneski, Phyphor, jdarksun, InkSplat, Rhan9, discrider, Davoid

====
Quest 3, Vote 2: Phyphor proposed {SeGaTai, Phobos, Kaneski, Phyphor}: Rejected 4-5.
Ayes: Phyphor, InkSplat, discrider, Davoid
Nays: SeGaTai, Professor Phobos, Kaneski, jdarksun, Rhan9

====
Quest 3, Vote 3: jdarksun proposed {SeGaTai, Phobos, Kaneski, jdarksun}: Passed 7-2
Ayes: Professor Phobos, Kaneski, jdarksun, InkSplat, Rhan9, discrider, Davoid
Nays: SeGaTai, Phyphor

====
Quest 4, Vote 1 InkSplat proposed {SeGaTai, Professor Phobos, Kaneski, Davoid, and InkSplat}: Rejected 3-6.

Ayes: Professor Phobos, InkSplat, Davoid
Nays: SeGaTai, Kaneski, Phyphor, jdarksun, Rhan9, discrider

====
Quest 4, Vote 2: Rhan9 proposed {Phyphor, discrider, Professor Phobos, InkSplat Rhan9}: Rejected 2-7.

Ayes: Rhan9, discrider
Nays: SeGaTai, Professor Phobos, Kaneski, Phyphor, jdarksun, InkSplat, Davoid

====
Quest 4, Vote 3: discrider proposed {Kaneski, jdarksun, Phyphor, discrider, Davoid}: Accepted 5-4.

Ayes: Professor Phobos, jdarksun, Rhan9, discrider, Davoid
Nays: SeGaTai, Kaneski, Phyphor, InkSplat

====
Quest 5, Vote 1 Davoid proposed {Phyphor, Kaneski, Professor Phobos, Davoid, and Segatai}: Rejected 3-6.

Ayes: SeGaTai, InkSplat, Davoid
Nays: Phobos, Kaneski, Phyphor, jdarksun, Rhan9, discrider

Hedgethorn on

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    !signup

• Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    !signup

rqv6.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Statement: I will !join you meatbags in another adventure

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    !Signup

Who was the minion who posted a great deal? Surely Sokpuppet and I took the cake for postcount? :D

Kaneski on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I remembered Phyphor posting a great deal, and (nearly) no one suspected him before the end.

I also posted a great deal -- but I was most certainly not a successful minion.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Question for Rules Clarification (as I don't have the Avalon rulebook, and can't find it online): In the last game, the 2nd player started with the Lady of the Lake. But my understanding was that the last player (i.e., the player to the right of the initial leader) should start with the Lady. Can anyone confirm this for me?

• Options
    Yep - that is indeed the case.

• Options
    Thanks, Kaneski.

• Options
    Only realised it after I used it first time last game >_<

• Options
    Ah, yeah, I was confused because in the last game I played the last player was sitting next to the first player and I mentally conflated him with "second."

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    !Signup

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    So, it's like the BBC show, right?

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    !signup

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    signup

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Last call for sign ups, otherwise we'll just play with 8, I think.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :|

I feel like I may be stretching myself out a bit thin here, but okay, I'll bite.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    All right then, we're playing with nine. With nine players, there are six loyal knights and three minions. We will play with the following roles: Merlin, Percival, Morgana, Assassin, Oberon. You should have received a PM with your role.

I've randomized the Turn Order. The Turn Order will be as follows:
    Turn Order
    1. SeGaTai
    2. Professor Phobos
    3. Kaneski
    4. Phyphor
    5. jdarksun
    6. InkSplat
    7. Rhan9
    8. discrider
    9. Davoid

Play begins with @SeGaTai needing to put together a team of 3 knights. @Davoid begins with the Lady of the Lake, and may use it after the second mission.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Now, let it be known that Phyphor remains a duplicitous, sneaky bugger. As is befitting of Zakharov.

• Options
    I don't think that's quite the fair assessment. No-one's sneakier or more duplicitous than Deirdre. Invisible mindworm units everywhere.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    OK, everybody remember what we learned from last game?

* Don't send yourself on the first mission.
    * Insist that the second mission is everybody from the first mission, plus some random person.
    * Drown out all good ideas.
    * Trust Phyphor.

Go!

• Options
    I was totally going to send myself on the first mission...

I didn't follow the first game, maybe I should go read up on that before coming up with a team.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OK, everybody remember what we learned from last game?

* Don't send yourself on the first mission.
    * Insist that the second mission is everybody from the first mission, plus some random person.
    * Drown out all good ideas.
    * Trust Phyphor.

Go!

I think you pretty much mastered that in the first game. :P

• Options
    Statement: loyal knights of Camelot I am definitely on your side this time and not an assassin droid from an alternate reality

• Options
    Suggested team: Me, Phyphor, Segatai.

• Options
    I'm a good guy this time, ha ha!

rqv6.png
  • Options
    I'll keep it simple and suggest the team of Myself, Professor Phobos, and Kaneski

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Sounds ok to me

rqv6.png
  • Options
    Same.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Clearly all three of you are evil.
    So, if we go by your track record last game, we're all guaranteed good guys? :p

• Options
    I am absolutely not evil this time.

• Options
    Seems fine with me.

• Options
    Sounds good as any other setup with zero information.
    Speaking of zero information, is voting to block the first suggestion so as to grab another round of voting information useful?

• Options
    Kind of? If everyone votes to block, it scrambles the signal. Better to get a clean vote.

• Options
    Okay.

• Options
    Rejecting the first mission always seemed an iffy proposition to me, you can get to see who different people would propose, but that's it

• Options
    I would definitely be suspect of anyone trying to block the first group, if only because it would suggest they might have a reason to--which would tend to mean spies not wanting a clean group to go through, just on principal.

Also, not much voting pattern can be discerned from "whelp, no reason to say no"

• Options
    Well, Merlin & Percival would have a reason, but yeah. There is some merit to trying to force the spies to make a team including other spies... but even then all the spies could vote against it and they just need 1-2 clean people to do that too

• Options
    One of favorite things to do if the first team is rejected is propose it again and see what votes change.