As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I get a critique please?

RocketRacoonRocketRacoon Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Artist's Corner
We started 38-day challenge at work so I thought I try my hand at some conceptual stuff. I only have the three at the moment. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Detective Character
KDPYKzt.jpg

Joan of Arc
AyNsmoX.jpg

Fire Queen
TkuZYJf.jpg[/img]

RocketRacoon on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    These images are huuuuugeee, 1000X1000 is about enough for forum purposes.

• Options
    Lol. You can tell how much I post.

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    These are pretty rad! I'm not generally a fan of the vectors with gradients style, but I dig these. Is the style due to intending them for animation?

• Options
    I absolutely love animation but these aren't really going to be used for anything other than building a portfolio. Still waiting for a critique Lol.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    What are you building a portfolio for, specifically? Illustration, concept art? Is it just a general thing? These are so very stylized that its hard to really give useful critique. From looking, I would say that while your shapes are generally nice, your cloth seems to a little off. Joan of Arc's flag is oddly shaded, its doesn't read as drapery. Same with the detective's cloak.

It seems like there is probably some holes in your knowledge of lighting, but since these are intentionally flat, its hard to know how far the issue may go, or how to direct you on it. If you want deeper critique, I suggest posting a mix of work, especially any studies you've done recently.

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Yeah, without more context on what you're trying to achieve it is hard to offer critique here. As an example, the priorities and needs of concept design for a 3D animated film versus character design for an ongoing webcomic would be wildly different and give rise to different feedback.

I can at least say that some of your values for surfaces are very close to the backgrounds -- the detective's pants, pipe, and cap in particular.

• Options
    Sorry guys. I can honestly say I have no idea what my portfolio would be aiming for. I feel kinda lost. Anyway more stuff.

S3p1iZE.jpg

9Dtiym9.jpg