As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Three days in Stuttgart

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
I've got a last minute trip to Stuttgart, Germany, and I've bookended a weekend onto it because... why not? I'm going to grab a Rick Steve's book or something, but I badly need to reserve rooms to stay in ASAP, and I don't know where I ought to do it. I've got three days to putz around, is there enough to do that I could base my operations out of Stuttgart and only do day trips out of it, or should I plan on staying in a different city as part of a three day event?

What is this I don't even.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    If you're into cars, there's a Mercedes-Benz museum there at the HQ that's probably cool.

You could probably make a (long) day trip to Munich if you do the ICE trains (about 2.5 hours each way), but Frankfurt would be closer, if not as interesting.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I did some digging and am thinking about training to Bad Wimpfen for a day, doing a day in Stuttgart and "?" for a day.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Besides the Mercedes museum there is also the Porsche Museum

Stuttgart has historically been a bit of an architectural hotspot.
    There is for example the Weissenhof Estate and if museums are something you are interested in the are amongst others the Neue Staatsgalerie and the Kunstmuseum Stuttgart

The inner city is also quite nice and has quite a few nice pubs/bars/restaurants. You should get some Maultaschen to eat while you are there.

If you want to have a nice view over Stuttgart there is the Stuttgart TV tower which is the pretty much the prototype for this style of towers.

• Options
    XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    You could also take a day trip to Heidelberg. You should be able to get there in less than an hour by train. Pretty nice old town and castle and great scenic views from the Philosophenweg (if the weather is decent). It's usually pretty full of tourists, though.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    The Porcshe and Mercedes Museums are fucking awesome

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I second the porsche and mercedes benz museums and the Neue Staatsgalerie. The latter desperately needs to be repaired, but the collection is amazing.

Cheap coffee in an exciting Modern building go to the library on the same road as the staatsgallerie, Konrad-Adenauer-Straße 8.

The main shopping street is the Königsstraße. Go there for gift shopping etc.

Aldo on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Esslingen am Neckar has an old city centre with a keep, which is quite charming. the S-bahn (line S1, which also takes you to the Mercedes Benz museum) stops there, so you can reach it from Stuttgart easily.

Ludwigsburg has a ridiculous Baroque castle (called Residenzschloss Ludwigsburg) with a huge garden (I went there in spring, dunno if it's just as pretty in winter), the S4 and S5 stop in the city centre, from where it's a short hike to the castle.

If you are a fan of local political dramas or city planning (uhm, if that were a Venn diagram, there would be a considerable overlap), check out the station and the displays on Suttgart 23. If you're "lucky" you'll get caught up in one of the protest marches that the most hardcore protesters organize at the most inopportune times. The whole town hates the subject and literally everyone has an opinion on it, so if you're out of stuff to talk about, just go "So what about Stuttgart 23, eh?".

The bookshop Wittwer is amazing and huge, it has a large English section, and is great to just browse through, it's at Königstraße 30. The Starbucks at Königstraße 44 has free wifi you can connect from outside the shop. Just fyi...

Aldo on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Xrdd wrote: »
    You could also take a day trip to Heidelberg. You should be able to get there in less than an hour by train. Pretty nice old town and castle and great scenic views from the Philosophenweg (if the weather is decent). It's usually pretty full of tourists, though.

Jumping on board this bandwagon, as barring just outrageous weather, that place is damn gorgeous. From walking around in the walkplatz and checking out the stores to the restaurants, the castle and the river, its just a good relaxing time there.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Heidelberg is rad.