As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Headache/nausea on weekends

KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances.She called me the master.Registered User regular
I'm aware of the limitation re: medical-ish advice here, hopefully just trying to get some insight from similarly afflicted folks. Thanks!

So, almost like clockwork I get slammed with headaches and nausea throughout the weekend. Sometimes it starts as early as Friday night, most often on Saturdays by the time I get up. If it is severe to the point of limiting my ability to hold food down, basically the only thing I can do is take some sleep-aid and try to get through the worst of it.

By the time Monday morning rolls around, it pretty much goes away.

Background! I almost never drink, partly because it greatly exacerbates this. My sleep schedule is a bit odd, I tend to get about six hours a night during the week and twelve during the weekend nights. I'm open to the thought that this is sleep related or dietary, but really can't say for sure.

I appreciate any help on this, I'll likely schedule an appointment soon but would like to see what this yields.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Is it possible there is some kind of gas leak in your home? This is complete speculation, but all I can think of is that if it only happens in the weekend it could be an environmental cause that you're getting more exposure to because you're at home instead of work.

Or it could be your brain is messing with you, since it sounds like you're fine Monday-Friday.

Either way I'd recommend seeing a doctor, maybe get some bloodwork to rule out environmental causes.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    I agree, it seems most likely to be some kind of environmental cause. Gas leak, pollen, mold... prolonged exposure could trigger nausea. Maybe something in your pillows/bedding? Can bed bugs cause headaches or nausea? I've never dealt with them. You could potentially test the environmental theory by sleeping elsewhere one weekend, and narrow it down if you have no problems.

Another theory I had would be some kind of anxiety caused by it being a weekend? Perhaps the lack of fixed schedule doing something odd in your brain?

Lastly, sometimes I get headaches if I spend too much time playing videogames or watching TV without breaks, which could happen more easily on weekends. But I would imagine you'd notice this and make the connection.

• Options
    alltheolivealltheolive Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Do you drink coffee during the week and stop on the weekend? (Or anything else like that- caffeine, snacks, water you constantly sip at your desk, etc?) Do you sit down at a computer with bad ergonomics all weekend?

My first thought is, alas, that it's psychological, because it shows up before you've even really started the weekend. Have you tried/ can you try going to work on the weekend? Do you worry about work when you aren't there? Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve a weekend break and I worry about what I didn't finish during the work week, and that can make me sort of transiently dizzy.

alltheolive on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Where on your head does it hurt? Do you experience any light and sound sensitivity as well?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I've considered environmental causes, but when I was gone for the week over the holidays it was persistent basically the entire time.

Doubt it's ergonomics or computer habits, I'm at a desk basically 100% of the time during the week.

Psychologically, I've certainly considered that. I think I've heard it called 'leisure sickness'. I don't exactly work crazy hours most of the time, and for the most part I'm able to leave my work at work. If that's what's going on then it's buried pretty well, but I certainly can't rule out something psychosomatic.

Dietary could be possible. I drink a lot of water both at work and during the weekend, but my caffeine consumption cuts out to zero once the week ends.

As far as where the headaches start, either in the very front or the very back of my head, though it's basically all over once it gets bad enough. Probably a bit of light and sound sensitivity, but mostly in the sense that any severe headache makes you want to crawl into a hole and die.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Now I'm starting to think caffeine withdrawal. Especially with the headaches starting in the front.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    You never have any pain focused on an eye?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Yeah. Depending on how much you're drinking during the week, completely cutting out caffeine on the weekend could definitely result in headaches.

You could try keeping to your normal amount of caffeine next Saturday/Sunday to see if that helps at all.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    It would take me about 8 hours of no caffeine to start having withdrawal that was pretty terrible. However, I was also drinking a ton of it, from sodas throughout the day, so there was always some in my system.

But, it maybe took three days for me to really get over it, a week seems like a long time for caffeine withdrawal, so it wouldn't explain the feeling over the holiday.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    You may just be sleeping too much? If I sleep more than 8 hours I get headaches, increasing in intensity the more hours of sleep I get. Try not sleeping more than the 6 hours you usually get and see if that helps?

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    As far as caffeine goes, I basically never have more than a small cup of coffee, and maybe once or twice a week a soda with my dinner or something. Really not a heavy consumer. I'll try to cut down throughout the week though and see where it leaves me, it's a good suggestion.
    cabsy wrote: »
    You may just be sleeping too much? If I sleep more than 8 hours I get headaches, increasing in intensity the more hours of sleep I get. Try not sleeping more than the 6 hours you usually get and see if that helps?

I can give this a go, though I'm pretty weak-willed when it comes to sleep on days where I don't have to get up.

Thanks for the input so far, everyone!

Kasyn on
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    You never have any pain focused on an eye?

Not particularly, though I have a very sporadic history of ocular migraines. They haven't come with these weekend headaches on more than maybe one occasion, though.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    12 hours of sleep per night on the weekends?

That's too much. Cut it back to 9. That should be all you need. Keep your fluid intake up, and make sure your bed is giving you proper skeletal support.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Your body probably gets all nice and comfy being on its back for that many hours, and it's possible that the sudden change in blood pressure to your head when you get up is making your body cranky. I dunno if this is enough to cause bad headaches to the point where it inhibits daily routine, but that's my guess.

See a doctor, in all honesty. If this is a routine thing, then you don't want to be risking a stroke or something.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    My guess is sleep. Twice the hours on weekends compared to weekdays doesn't sound good to me. I'd try to even it out both ends and see if that helps.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    12 hours of sleep per night on the weekends?

That's too much. Cut it back to 9. That should be all you need. Keep your fluid intake up, and make sure your bed is giving you proper skeletal support.
    It could be a fluid issue. How much water are you drinking on the weekend. Start drinking a 20 oz bottle of water immediately after work, refilling it drinking it before you go to sleep and once when you wake up.

Also after work on friday exercise for 30 minutes and do 30 minutes of stretching and take 1 aspirin.

Also keep your sleep schedule the same and exercise when you wake up. Drink some water.

See if that helps out.

zepherin on